The future for Guns?

13 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Anniversary with Dave fucking Mustaine ta boot! 

I actually drove to Jersey for their first Orion Festival.. Probably the coolest festival I have ever been to. They did it absolutely right in every way.  I heard the second didn't go over quite so good or at least they just lost money..

This

I won tickets to the second Orion festival in Detroit. It was fun and I got to see them play Kill Em All in its entirety

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, RussTCB said:

They might be able to do that with enough time in between tours but not regularly, IMO. The magic for many, many people was finally getting to see Axl & Slash on stage together. I know of a lot of casual and die hards who sat out the US arena run because they'd already seen what they wanted to see during the stadium version. 

I know this is just one example, but think about this: No one I knew that went to the stadium show in Detroit went to the arena show that follow in the fall of the following year. The only 2 friends of mine that did go went because they couldn't make it to the stadium show the year prior.

Same here. I knew like 20 people at the 2016 Detroit stadium show. Family and friends and they all liked the show. Still, not a single one went to the arena gig the following year. 

• Like 1

I seem to get bummed out whenever any of the band members open their mouths nowadays in regards to new music. It's almost as if in the back of my mind, when they aren't touring, I just assume that they're working on something, even though the reality of it is that they most likely are not. We're approaching the tenth anniversary of Chinese Democracy. I get that line-up changes and record label difficulties are big obstacles to come across, but something must have happened behind the scenes to shift Axl from wanting to release an album the year following the release to us going another 10 years without any new material. Did Axl really have a follow up record knocked back in 2010? that is something I'd have loved someone within the camp to address that. I said to myself in Berlin that I'm getting a bit scunnered that the setlist has had very minor tweaks in the 2+ years that the tour has went on, but by the same token, they aren't getting any younger and I want to enjoy myself at the shows while I still can and while they possess the ability to entertain stadiums/sold out arenas. Axl is 56 years old, but is sat on alleged completed albums, with vocals that would be considered as a peak period to any other singer (mid thirties/early 40's), if they're ever to see the light of day, it's going to get continuously harder for him to perform these songs the older he gets. There is still hope for them to have a very productive period ahead where they can right any wrongs.

4 hours ago, zombux said:

this band (or I should maybe say "brand") has just become a sellout act. nobody cares about fans anymore (as if they ever cared, LOL). 

the casuals are an easy milking cow, and they are getting shitload of money from them by selling 30 years old junk.

us hardcores are persecuted, sidelined and threatened, especially with the late takedown actions aimed to destroy the bootleg sharing community.

Yep.

The time to strike with new music would've been at or near the start of NITL. Everyone, casuals and die hards would've bought in. 

Nowadays, I only the hard cores would care about or buy new GNR music. 

So again, the folks who run GNR have completely missed the mark and point. Assuming they're ultimately behind the recent attacks on their fans, it shows that they're somehow even more clueless than I thought. I almost want to give them credit for finding a way to come in below even the lowest of expectations lol

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Slash and Duff do it as well.  Their music might not be as good as peak Guns but there are still lots of good songs there.

No new music is only an Axl thing.  Its the reason he lost so many musicians over the years.

Completely agree though, its ridiculous when people try to say that Stones, ACDC, metallica never put new music out.  They have and they do.

No band can be compared to GnR when it comes to output because there's next to nothing there. No one said these bands dont put new music out. But it's wrong to say Metallica constantly put music out. It took 8 years between their last 2 albums. Good for them for putting on festivals and what not, but the music hasnt been pumped out on a regular basis like someone said here. They've lived off nostalgia as well. The Stones cover album was cool, but it was the first studio release since 05. Guns should just do another compilation with a few new songs like the Stones have done through the years. Hopefully Slash and Duff can push Axl to get something done, but the neverending tour is still going. 

59 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

But it's wrong to say Metallica constantly put music out. It took 8 years between their last 2 albums. 

That 8 years is equal to 1 year in Axl's planet.

Fans of Metallica are at least confident they will get something new every 8 years (not to mention EP, 3D Film, Documentary etc. releases in between each album release).

GN'R fans on the other hand get shit from the band. In fact it's the other way around recently. The management calls fans to mail their rare material so that they can package and label them as official with some extra bullshit tattoo stickers and milk fans as expensive as 1000 dollar tags. God knows how much they are gonna price "official" releases of Saskatoon and HOB.

F*ck you corporate mother f*ckers.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Same here. I knew like 20 people at the 2016 Detroit stadium show. Family and friends and they all liked the show. Still, not a single one went to the arena gig the following year. 

My buddy and I did attend both of the Detroit shows, but the latter event was more for "capturing the experience."

Well- I guess on the bright side all this “leaning on classics” 25 years later and still playing stadiums, etc. just proves we were all pretty smart kids in the late 80s/early 90s when it came to this band and the quality of their output. They were indeed that f’ing good...

• Like 1

@downzy noted on this thread that there had been rumours of activity happening - being an admin etc I would think he wouldn’t have mentioned it if there was any doubt of his source. I know Axl skirted the question in the interview but never really expected him to say anything about that in that kind of interview.

Didnt Tom Zutaut say Slash had added guitars to Atlas Shrugged also?

Edited by DTJ80

20 hours ago, darkside259 said:

I think the best option its axl going AXL/DC and solist for ñew material and keep touring with guns for the cash and nostalgia.

the band its pretty much dead, the spirit its gone by now, its just a show, a really good one sometime, but just a show.

I just thought how funny it is that two once gutsy, adventurous sleaze-rock outfits turned into corporate, nostalgia-fueled cash mashines, and both have same singer...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

@downzy noted on this thread that there had been rumours of activity happening - being an admin etc I would think he wouldn’t have mentioned it if there was any doubt of his source. I know Axl skirted the question in the interview but never really expected him to say anything about that in that kind of interview.

Didnt Tom Zutaut say Slash had added guitars to Atlas Shrugged also?

I actually think it’s not crazy to be slightly optimistic that something will happen w/“Atlas” at some point. That said- unless I’m misremembering- I think “Atlas” was always thought of as part of Chinese as opposed to the follow-up. Could be it gets out as a “bonus track” to another compilation (e.g. revamped Greatest Hits album, etc.) just to clear the decks. Take anything at this point though. Lol.:drool:

1 hour ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I actually think it’s not crazy to be slightly optimistic that something will happen w/“Atlas” at some point. That said- unless I’m misremembering- I think “Atlas” was always thought of as part of Chinese as opposed to the follow-up. Could be it gets out as a “bonus track” to another compilation (e.g. revamped Greatest Hits album, etc.) just to clear the decks. Take anything at this point though. Lol.:drool:

True - although my thoughts are any material we see will be stuff kicking about from the last 20 years with additions and tweaks (as has apparently happened with Atlas). Which I am absolutely OK with.

Funny thing is, if GNR are just a corporate machine, why wouldn’t they then release an album/EP? Yes the money made isn’t what it was but it would be more than zilch which is what they are getting right now. I am sure we will hear new music at somepoint.

22 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Am I the only one that will be slightly annoyed if they do release stuff and it's more old vocals on it? I'll enjoy it, sure, but I want to hear what Axl can do in the studio nowadays. 

To be honest, I will take ANY material. But yes, would be good to hear where he is at in the studio these days (after time off from the touring to get voice some rest).

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

To be honest, I will take ANY material. But yes, would be good to hear where he is at in the studio these days (after time off from the touring to get voice some rest).

my educated guess says that the next "new" material will probably be some UYI sessions leftover, similar to the "new" MTTC from Lies sessions.

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

my educated guess says that the next "new" material will probably be some UYI sessions leftover, similar to the "new" MTTC from Lies sessions.

I’ll take it! A proper quality version of Ain’t Going Down would be ace - the version kicking about with vocals is really poor sonically.

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’ll take it! A proper quality version of Ain’t Going Down would be ace - the version kicking about with vocals is really poor sonically.

well, but that one actually wouldn't be "new" at all :) but something like that would be - I meant it that way.

The time to release new material isn't now or at the start of the NITL tour. There was really no benefit to release anything at that time or this. The tour was going to sell regardless and their brand was rejuvenated by the announcement of Slash & Duff back in the fold. The return on the amount of effort needed to complete something of that magnitude wasn't worth the risk. They wanted to dip their toes in the water to see if this could still work on this level after many years of not working together. Seems as if the recording process for GNR is long/tedious and in the past has driven members away from the project. It made sense to rebuild the foundation of the band before thinking about delving into that sphere. This is before you consider any legal or renegotiations with Universal. 

Albums/new songs start and help drive new touring cycles these days. When they have decided to start a new cycle after some time away, or want to hit the US and maintain their fees, etc... a new album/songs could be used to help facilitate that and draw interest. 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

On 7/26/2018 at 1:49 PM, GoBucky said:

No band can be compared to GnR when it comes to output because there's next to nothing there. No one said these bands dont put new music out. But it's wrong to say Metallica constantly put music out. It took 8 years between their last 2 albums. Good for them for putting on festivals and what not, but the music hasnt been pumped out on a regular basis like someone said here. They've lived off nostalgia as well. The Stones cover album was cool, but it was the first studio release since 05. Guns should just do another compilation with a few new songs like the Stones have done through the years. Hopefully Slash and Duff can push Axl to get something done, but the neverending tour is still going. 

8 years was Metallicas biggest cap between releases (BIG DEAL)...before that they consistently put out new music, now i dont know what the hell your problem is i guess you are just pissed cos GNR will not be making new music anytime soon and possibly never have fun CONSTANTLY listening to AFD and UYI  thats probably all youll ever have from this fucking band!

1 hour ago, Guitarist1234 said:

8 years was Metallicas biggest cap between releases (BIG DEAL)...before that they consistently put out new music, now i dont know what the hell your problem is i guess you are just pissed cos GNR will not be making new music anytime soon and possibly never have fun CONSTANTLY listening to AFD and UYI  thats probably all youll ever have from this fucking band!

Metallica indeed went through significant changes. they reached 100% assholeness during the Napster era, but later they became quite enjoyable. they seem to like what they do, a mature band sort of. thumbs up for them, even though I was never their big fan.

this GNR thing is a difference. it's something like a boy band reunion, a joke of what they were in the 80's and early 90's. it's more or less just a money grinding machine now, treating fans like shit and being promoted and managed by incompetent tools.

there's much truth on what you wrote indeed.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1