Are Slash & Duff = To Frank, Fortus & Dizzy?

7 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

I suppose it's the last point that I have the hardest time grasping.

All the drama over the last 20 plus years - the in fighting and struggle with rotating band members and Slash's penchant for being "particular" with band-mates over the years (plus his most recent comment)... it seems so odd that he'd willingly lay down a Guns album with guys he might not even care to play with.

I guess that point just sticks with me.

I truly think Slash wouldn't think twice about having Frank as the drummer on a future GNR album. 

• Like 1

Slash and Duff are more important than those other folks.  That said, I would be very surprised if any new record is ever made by the current GNR lineup.  Perhaps a song or two, but that's about it. 

They are making a fortune by going out on tour.  Even if it eventually becomes an arena thing, rather than a stadium thing, they are still making bank. 

Not much money to be made in a record these days.  They will be hard pressed to put in the time to make an entire record.

Plus, Slash does his own thing.  Duff does his solo thing.  Those are good creative outlets for those guys.  Time moves much slower for Axl, when it comes to making and distributing music.

On 21/08/2018 at 3:10 PM, RussTCB said:

This subject came up in one of the many Slash Interview threads and I thought it'd be interesting to start a topic on it:

How do view Slash & Duff with respect to GNR these days? 

I bring this up because I've been saying that Slash making comments about a new GNR album possibly coming sooner than later doesn't really give me much promise. 

To me, it's the same as Dizzy and/or Richard saying the same thing since 2002.

I just don't think Slash & Duff have any more say in it than Richard, Frank or anyone else does. I think it still all comes down to whether or not Axl will release new music. That, in my mind, puts Slash & Duff on equal footing with Richard, Dizzy, Frank and everyone else who's ever been in the band. 

Thoughts? 

that makes absolutely no sense at all to put $la$h and Dough on the same level of the aliens

but you are right in the end it all comes down to axl wanting or not since he owns the name GNR

Edited by ludurigan

17 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

As fans, we always complain that the band never communicate with us.  They don't do interviews etc.  

This is exactly why they don't do interviews though.  There is nothing positive to be gained.

If you read between the lines, Slash has practically confirmed that they are planning to work on a new album, release it and tour it. 

He only stops just short of 100% confirming it as they are not ready to announce anything.

Of course that has more merit than when Richard said he'd love to play on a classic album and it would be stupid not to do one.  

Slash has been in this business for over 30 years,  He knows how the media and fan bases work.  He would thread way more carefully if he thought there wasn't much hope of this happening.

13 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I think the issue here is that I have been more of a Slash fan than a Guns fan over the past 20 years. 

When Slash says something, he does it. 

So I believe him when he says they're going to work on music. 

It doesn't guarantee it will happen. But I know he's not just making stuff up. 

Nu Guns on the other hand, I've seen many interviews were they seem to be completely out of the loop, vague and half heartedly mentioning that there is material there.

Personally, I just believe Slash and I think a new album will be worked on soon. 

Same. He knows what he's talking about way more than Fortus and Dizzy. Also, Slash has way more leverage and power here than you all think. It's really only because of his presence that the tour has been as big and successful as it has.

Btw I wouldn't mind Frank playing on an album. I think he would actually put out something that sounds pretty good if given the chance.

• Like 1

I think Slash and Duff are more powerful than any other member of GNR since the CD period started... however they are not equal to Axl (still the boss). All things considered ;) 

I would like to think that they are equal with Axl, any maybe they are? I think Axl obviously owns and runs GNR (paying the 'additional' band members), but judging by Slash's comments suggesting he has no contract or anything... I think there's a grey area... and a possible hazardous area for GNR. I think Slash views himself as a full member of GNR, and I don't know if he thinks of himself as a hired hand or if he would want to be treated as such. 

End of the day, Axl may be crazy, but he's not stupid and he has understood throughout all the years just how important Slash was and is to GNR, not to forget Slash's popularity within the fanbase (axl was well aware of the divide between Slash fans and Axl fans, considering how clued in he seemed to be about postings on here) to treat him as anything less than equal would be very peculiar. And the same goes for Duff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

that makes absolutely no sense at all to put $la$h and Dough on the same level of the aliens

but you are right in the end it all comes down to axl wanting or not since he owns the name GNR

How are you gonna call them $la$h and Dough, then say they're not on the same level as Fortus and everyone else? 

If any post in this thread hasn't made sense, it's that one lol

• Like 3

It is a strange point in time. It would appear that Axl is now more at peace and has put to bed past demons and issues that plagued him for years.

The older material that has been recorded/remixed etc etc that we have not heard or say we have heard snippets of or say we have a copy of etc maybe Axl wants to keep that in the vault as he has moved on in life, and does not feel he wants to have to explain or potentially have to deal with the situation or source that inspired those tracks. Maybe he has moved on musically and creatively and does not feel that material is relevant today?

So if Axl is not in turmoil and at peace with life, what is his inspiration and muse for new material? considering that tracks like Coma, Estranged, NR, TIL, were created from Axl going through real tough times. 

I personally do think that the current line up could produce a great sound for a new album, Melissa has brought a great edge to the live performance and great backing vocals. Could be interesting to hear how that would play out in new material. Slash and Richard had good chemistry on stage and could inspire each other easily. Frank certainly deserves his place in the band and would love to hear how he would sound on a Guns album. I think Izzy being involved creatively wouldn't be a bad thing but certainly not from a future tour involvement as he just ain't up for that level of interaction.

It just feels too good a time at the moment not to capitalize on the situation whilst everyone is in a good place. Guess we will just have to be patient and not raise our expectations too much. Take what we get when we get it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think Slash and Duff are more powerful than any other member of GNR since the CD period started... however they are not equal to Axl (still the boss). All things considered ;) 

I would like to think that they are equal with Axl, any maybe they are? I think Axl obviously owns and runs GNR (paying the 'additional' band members), but judging by Slash's comments suggesting he has no contract or anything... I think there's a grey area... and a possible hazardous area for GNR. I think Slash views himself as a full member of GNR, and I don't know if he thinks of himself as a hired hand or if he would want to be treated as such. 

End of the day, Axl may be crazy, but he's not stupid and he has understood throughout all the years just how important Slash was and is to GNR, not to forget Slash's popularity within the fanbase (axl was well aware of the divide between Slash fans and Axl fans, considering how clued in he seemed to be about postings on here) to treat him as anything less than equal would be very peculiar. And the same goes for Duff.

Lol, most of the thing runs trough the 3 managers(fernando being axl's) ,why would employees have a say in the business?, there is no boss anymore. he just lost that battle.

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Did anyone stop to think that Slash is doing press for his new solo release and there's no better way to bring attention to it than mentioning the prospect of new GNR music? 

I hadn't though about this but it makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time believing that he would lie about GNR looking in to the possibility of new music just for publicity, but bringing up new GNR music in interviews about his new record will definitely get casual GNR fans to watch the entire thing and thus hear him promote the record!

14 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I hadn't though about this but it makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time believing that he would lie about GNR looking in to the possibility of new music just for publicity, but bringing up new GNR music in interviews about his new record will definitely get casual GNR fans to watch the entire thing and thus hear him promote the record!

I'm not saying he's lying and I'm not even saying that he actually is saying that just to draw attention. I was just wondering if anyone might have thought that.

3 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

How do people feel about Slash recording over a Finck or Bucket solo?

Are you trying to get people more mad at me?? :lol: I think we all know how I feel about it; it'd be a tradegy for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not saying he's lying and I'm not even saying that he actually is saying that just to draw attention. I was just wondering if anyone might have thought that.

Are you trying to get people more mad at me?? :lol: I think we all know how I feel about it; it'd be a tradegy for me.

No dude I actually like Finck & Buckets CD material, I'm hoping there's still gems that can be discovered from there time in the band.

• Like 1

I think Slash and Duff are part of the big 3. There’s a reason for that. 

But partly Slash and Duff give Axl and Recomp confidence. Artistically and commercially. 

I doubt the recomp sit there and go Fortus or DJ can make a great record with Axl. They are cynical (money). 

So I think Slash says go, record comp gets wet. Axl wants to be successful and seems to have always wanted good Slash in GNR. 

4 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

How do people feel about Slash recording over a Finck or Bucket solo?

I don't care
If the music from the Chinese sessions gets released without Robin/Buckethead/Bumblefoot/Tommy/Pitman on the songs, I'm 100% sure that the demos with these people will leak or will be released in some kind of cashgrab boxset like the appetite one.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Did anyone stop to think that Slash is doing press for his new solo release and there's no better way to bring attention to it than mentioning the prospect of new GNR music? 

Yes, totally!
I hope that this situation would make Slash (And the GN'R camp) think about how much interested is people in listening to new GN'R music. 

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 1

Duff and slash need to sit Axl down and say something along the lines of ‘listen man, let’s create something that will live up to the legacy’ go out with a bang and fucking finish what we started’

tour that album, then call it quits.

i don’t want to see any of them touring as GnR in their 60s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The only reason I disagree is because he’s been pretty coy/nonchalant about new music in most of his interviews. I still think you may be right and I stand by the fact that I don’t think we’re going to hear new music.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1