GNR doing covers...love or hate them? What's your favourite?

13 hours ago, WildStar said:

Oh yeah Axl murders Slither at the 'hear comes the water part'. It's only good when the crowd drowns him out. The band sound awesome doing Slither. 

I must say Wichita is awful. Axl sings it well but it's a real concert killer. It didn't go down too well in Europe 

The Seeker is my favourite. Really gets the crowd going at the end

I loved Wichita. They should drop Black Hole Sun. Axl improved singing this song later but I don't think this cover fit the setlist. I agree about Slither.

It would be great if they'd do Nice Boys. But for me a strong, powerful vocals make the song great like in 2010 or 1993. It sounded like shit in 2013 and 2017. After Shadow Of Your Love I think Axl can pull it off. Sure not like in 2010 but it could be something cool.

He sounds spectacular here:

Edited by sl4yer
2017 not 19 of course
  • Like 2

I think KOHD is waaay over rated. Not sure why it gets played so much on the radio.

the set list has way too many covers. I wish they’d drop all of the covers including KOHD and LALD. Maybe keep the seeker and throw some more original content in the mix, locomotive, dead horse , perfect crime.... and I’ve always really wanted to see get in the ring live.

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 2

So far I haven’t found a GNR cover that I haven’t liked. That is excluding the CD era since I didn’t care about anything live during that time although I love the album. In terms of setlist though, they could drop Black Hole Sun, Wichita, and trade out Seeker for Mama Kin. Wish You Were Here and Layla are cool and I like them, but they’ve been played at every show for 3 years. They could swap them for other covers or better yet, rarities that haven’t been played in forever.

On 27.2.2019 at 9:48 PM, t-p-d-a said:

Shadow of your lobe isnt a cover

Lobe? Which one?

Seriously speaking, SOYL is originally Hollywood Rose song, not Gn'R. Therefore it's a cover song for all the members of the current lineup - except Axl, who actually was in both bands. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

17 hours ago, sl4yer said:

I loved Wichita. They should drop Black Hole Sun. Axl improved singing this song later but I don't think this cover fit the setlist. I agree about Slither.

It would be great if they'd do Nice Boys. But for me a strong, powerful vocals make the song great like in 2010 or 1993. It sounded like shit in 2013 and 2017. After Shadow Of Your Love I think Axl can pull it off. Sure not like in 2010 but it could be something cool.

He sounds spectacular here:

Nice Boys would be really cool. 

Fair enough if you like Witcheta. But the problem with Witcheta for me is where it is in the set. Right after Sweet Chilld the crowd are pumped and the people who sit down are off their backsides. Then Witcheta brings it down. Axl sings it well but it's boring live and I don't have any attachment with the song. Most people in Europe I've spoken to think the same.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

the set list has way too many covers. I wish they’d drop all of the covers including KOHD and LALD. Maybe keep the seeker and throw some more original content in the mix, locomotive, dead horse , perfect crime.... and I’ve always really wanted to see get in the ring live.

Awesome.. I never understood the hate Get In The Ring gets.. I always thought it was a bad ass, in your face, I don't give a fuck, ass kicking rock song...

18 hours ago, sl4yer said:

You wanna know why it sounded like shit in 2013 and 2017? Because he was singing it with Angry Anderson and that's why he sang it differently in a much slower pace. He was singing it in the same pace as Angry Anderson and not like he usually sings it. Because of the slow pace he had to use his singing voice instead of the screaming voice that he uses in Shadow Of Your Love and Brian era AC/DC songs.

The slow pace forces Axl to drag his vocals and he can't use his screaming voice if he has to drag the vocals like that. So he had to use his singing voice when he sang it with Angry Anderson. Axl's voice works best when he's doing fast bursts of screaming vocals, just like in SOYL and the Brian era AC/DC songs. It's guaranteed that Axl sounds great on Nice Boys as soon as they do a fast paced version of it again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

You wanna know why it sounded like shit in 2013 and 2017? Because he was singing it with Angry Anderson and that's why he sang it differently in a much slower pace. He was singing it in the same pace as Angry Anderson and not like he usually sings it. Because of the slow pace he had to use his singing voice instead of the screaming voice that he uses in Shadow Of Your Love and Brian era AC/DC songs.

The slow pace forces Axl to drag his vocals and he can't use his screaming voice if he has to drag the vocals like that. So he had to use his singing voice when he sang it with Angry Anderson. Axl's voice works best when he's doing fast bursts of screaming vocals, just like in SOYL and the Brian era AC/DC songs. It's guaranteed that Axl sounds great on Nice Boys as soon as they do a fast paced version of it again.

Great assessment. I would freaking love to see them dust off Nice Boys more often.. That is another cover that I consider a Guns song..  I didn't even mind the 2017 version... That is the only song from the tour that they didn't put in the "media song list section".. I wish they would.... 

3 hours ago, WildStar said:

Nice Boys would be really cool. 

Fair enough if you like Witcheta. But the problem with Witcheta for me is where it is in the set. Right after Sweet Chilld the crowd are pumped and the people who sit down are off their backsides. Then Witcheta brings it down. Axl sings it well but it's boring live and I don't have any attachment with the song. Most people in Europe I've spoken to think the same.

They have too many slow songs in setlist. Too many in row for sure. 

In Poland they played Wichita before Don't Cry and I liked it that way. But you're right after SCOM this is a killer for crowd but not like Nightrain kind of killer but mood killer

21 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I think KOHD is waaay over rated. Not sure why it gets played so much on the radio.

Oh yes all of them. Locomotive would be amazing. 

I thought they should have Played Get In The Ring as their first song back together at the Troubadour. It would have been so awesome for the 800 lucky buggers there.

At least we've had enough live covers for TSI 2 :lol:. It's just a shame the recordings of the Wembley 06 covers are such shitty quality.

I've always dug The Seeker and Liquor & Whores. I would love a soundboard recording of Slither too.

I'm really suprised we got Wichita Lineman - Silkworms/My World/etc sound more like GN'R than that song. Not that I'm complaining, it's a beautiful song.

Hearing them play I Got You (and the Rocket Queen jams) make me want some funk songs from them - Slash and Fortus both have the chops for it.

It was funny when they did Don't Let It Bring You Down. Comments on the live videos had been taking the piss out of his Neil Young/Mickey Mouse voice for years, but as soon as he sang that song it changed to "Wow! He sounds just like Neil Young! What an amazing cover!" Like... dude, it's the same voice :lol:.

Edited by Azifwekare

I'm sure this view has been said multiple times in this thread, but I'd much rather here UYI/AFD/Lies songs than James Brown, Soundgarden, Glen Campbell, or even The Who or AC/DC. Really seems silly to me to have so many irrelevant covers as a standard part of the setlist. Slither I get, CD stuff I get, LALD and KOHD of course, but anything past that is just annoying. The musician spots where they jam covers are fine with me, but I think that should be the extent of it.

I love Nice Boys and think they should do Mama Kin again. I'm open for covers, just a bit more variety is needed.

I'm sick of BHS and Live & Let Die.

Still waiting and begging for Axl to work on his voice and finally do a cover of "Give In To Me". I want that so so bad...I am positive it would be amazing.

• GNFNR 1