Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

On 01/03/2020 at 10:55 PM, Blackstar said:

What Brian May said in 2000:

And in 2008, after Axl's forum chats:

translation to english language

look, i like axl, he asked me to help him, i tried my best, i told him this and that, but sometimes that is no use, sometimes you just got to let people crash on the wall, they need to crash on that wall so they can learn for themselves

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

As we have fuck all to talk about for months, i'm resurrecting this to discuss the recent rehearsal. I think the intro that has been reconstructed by Duff and Slash is infinitely better than the intro in this leak. I love the classic bass line and Slash's alterations on the lead. With the new intro, it is immediately identifiable as a GNR song - it has me excited to hear the studio version and/or a live version soon. I think Axl's vocals were poor, obviously given it was a rehearsal, but it would be interesting to see if Axl re-recorded it at all.

the original intro is very poor, there is no dynamics, no drama, no crescendo, it is just boring

i didnt listen to the new intro but it should not be that hard to come up with a better one

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

As we have fuck all to talk about for months, i'm resurrecting this to discuss the recent rehearsal. I think the intro that has been reconstructed by Duff and Slash is infinitely better than the intro in this leak. I love the classic bass line and Slash's alterations on the lead. With the new intro, it is immediately identifiable as a GNR song - it has me excited to hear the studio version and/or a live version soon. I think Axl's vocals were poor, obviously given it was a rehearsal, but it would be interesting to see if Axl re-recorded it at all.

I agree, the new intro was much, much better and toon it up a notch in my eyes. I hope Axl hasn’t re recorded (unless he did in 06 or 10) because his current vocals I think would not do this song justice at all. I was surprised how much the first two lines of the rehearsal sounded like he did in ‘99! I think if he practiced this more it could sound close-ish to the ‘studio’ version.

This was an alt that was rehearsed for the 2019 tour. It was on the main set list for the Super Bowl show but wasn’t played, and it was rehearsed with Axl vocals at Saturday’s show. I think it’s almost a guarentee at this point we will hear this song live. Whether it is a single or kickstarts an album, who knows, but I think in terms of it being played, it’s just a matter of when, and not if.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Not sure why you'd want to troll a thread about a song from a line up you hate but what @Gibsonfender2323said was "Axl seeing Duff & Slash play CD songs is a victory lap".

What's so hard to understand about that? It's definitely a victory that Slash & Duff are playing songs from GNRs best album which was made without their help. 

The “hide” option is a godsend. There are a few users here that I have no idea f they’re still even around due to hiding, like that Volcano dude who was in love with NuGuns. 

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, DTV88 said:

The “hide” option is a godsend. There are a few users here that I have no idea f they’re still even around due to hiding, like that Volcano dude who was in love with NuGuns. 

I hear ya. That user that I quoted is hilarious to me. It's one of those people who pulled the "I'M NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN!" line, then posted completely untrue BS about us. 

Yet, here they are, back again and trolling topics about things they claim to hate. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

the original intro is very poor, there is no dynamics, no drama, no crescendo, it is just boring

i didnt listen to the new intro but it should not be that hard to come up with a better one

I get that you didnt like it, but it has tons of dynamics and crescendo. 

And again, about the new intro: we don't know if that's really the very beginning. And I really think Slash's rhythm guitar there were not really all that good or even different from the demo (pay closer attention, it has several layers of guitar there and that sounded a lot like one of those).

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Not sure why you'd want to troll a thread about a song from a line up you hate but what @Gibsonfender2323said was "Axl seeing Duff & Slash play CD songs is a victory lap".

What's so hard to understand about that? It's definitely a victory that Slash & Duff are playing songs from GNRs best album which was made without their help. 

hahahahah SI is better than CD.  Stop trolling

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I get that you didnt like it, but it has tons of dynamics and crescendo. 

And again, about the new intro: we don't know if that's really the very beginning. And I really think Slash's rhythm guitar there were not really all that good or even different from the demo (pay closer attention, it has several layers of guitar there and that sounded a lot like one of those).

The snippet we heard had so much groove compared to the locker leak. I loved it and look forward to hearing a studio version.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I like the intro on the demo but it's too long. Chinese Democracy has the same issue, and luckily the NITL line-up cut it down to the 3.5 minute rocker that it's supposed to be. The new intro to Hardschool sounds a lot more 'classic Guns' IMO. I'm curious to hear how Frank sounds on the studio version.

I love the Chinese whispers as an album intro, but it should have been track 1 with track 2 being the actual self-titled song. On iTunes many moons ago, I set the song to start after all the whispering right on queue for the main riff. I wish Spotify had that feature also.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

The snippet we heard had so much groove compared to the locker leak. I loved it and look forward to hearing a studio version.

I agree. Mainly because Duff's bass is pretty much driving it. The demo had a synth riff going on that kinda sounded like Pittman's paycheck.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

yeah so i guess we agree to disagree then on the dynamics and crescendo issue

maybe i should rephrase what i said previously to it has none of the dynamics and the crescendo of iconic guns n roses symphony'like intros such as the ones from songs like welcome to the jungle and you could be mine. to be more accurate, it doesn\t even get close to not'that'epic but still brilliant guns n roses intros like the ones from my michelle, out ta get me, mr brownstone, sweet child o mine and so many others

Dynamics and crescendo: the song starts with just the synth and lead guitar with some drum kick. Then the rhythm guitars starts with two different riffs: one power chord, another with some pedal notes. This is where the drums keep building it with crashes, then a regular drum beat, then the drum fill. 

I don't think this is too far from classic GNR formula. It's actually closer than almost anything in CD.

Look, I'm not saying it's good. I'm only pointing out that there are some elements there to make a build up the start of Axl's verses.

11 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i was able to listen to it now thanks to the good people of this forum

funny thing is that I didnt recognize that part as the intro, it sounds more like a piece of the verse without vocals to me

am i mistaken

It does sound like the instrumental part after Robin's solo. Guess you're right.

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm only pointing out that there are some elements there to make a build up the start of Axl's verses.

oh i can agree with that, there are definitely those elements, but to me it sounds like an amateur band trying to come up with an intro with dynamics and crescendo and failing miserably at it

• Like 1

It’s difficult to ascertain exactly if that’s the full ‘new’ intro but it sounds kinda cool. That said, I still prefer the ‘original’ - maybe because I’m used to it or the fact I listen to bands who don’t shy away from big intros! 😂

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Excuse me, Slash and Duff were most definitely involved with the band's best album:

The Civil War EP.

14 minutes ago, Creed said:

TSI sounds more pro than CD. But CD is more creative than TSI of course. The only song on TSI, which is creative is SIDHY. The rest are 1:1 covers. Great sound quality, but just useless imo. They already made 1:1 covers of Heartbreak Hotel and Jumpin Jack Flash, which didnt make it on AFD and UYI...and then they made a full cover album...weird decision. A MTV unplugged would have been the best choice back then.

I never considered any cover GnR did to be 1:1 ... Especially on SI those songs have a much different feel & sound compared to the originals 

47 minutes ago, Creed said:

TSI sounds more pro than CD. But CD is more creative than TSI of course. The only song on TSI, which is creative is SIDHY. The rest are 1:1 covers. Great sound quality, but just useless imo. They already made 1:1 covers of Heartbreak Hotel and Jumpin Jack Flash, which didnt make it on AFD and UYI...and then they made a full cover album...weird decision. A MTV unplugged would have been the best choice back then.

oh you should listen to the original recording of down on the farm for evidence that that is a 1:10 cover

the original is almost unlistenable, it\s pure garbage, whoever found and chose that song has a unbelievable good ear for diamonds in the rough

acoustic jjf has nothing to do with the original stones version and axl melody lines are absolutely sublime, very superior to anything jagger ever did on that song

heartbreak hotel is not my favorite but GNR clearly made it much faster and heavier and a bit different arrangement than the original. i like the tom petty version with axl and izzy though, its brilliant, axl could no no wrong at those days

40 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I never considered any cover GnR did to be 1:1 ... Especially on SI those songs have a much different feel & sound compared to the originals 

agree!