The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

A contract made for tours only? Slash releases records, is an active musician, loves the road, but around him I don't believe a record was in the works. CD was released 11 or 12 years ago man, it's a long time. I heard songs like Atlas, Hardschool, Me and My Elvis, they are great songs, and they are demos, they are not mixed versions, the quality is much better, Axl doesn't know how to release this is idiotic, unfortunately bands don't sell that many records, and this has been going on for a long time, not wanting to release a new record is stupid and selfish.

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

If you think modern Axl is going to write great lyrics then more power to you, I don't share your optimism. Personally I think this concept of there being all new songs is mostly Slashite delusion because some can't handle the fact that there's unlikely to be completely new original collaborations between Axl/Slash. Axl only mentioned what he already had done in 2016, and besides Slash saying he writes ideas for new GNR songs in 2018 (which wouldn't imply that Axl is writing new lyrics for those ideas), all Slash and Duff have mentioned is Axl's ideas as well.

There's always the possibility that Slash will be given Axl's lyrics to write his own new music to, without ever having been presented the NuGNR's original melodies, if any, so as not to influence him in any way. 

I get that Axl isn't likely to abandon all the CD stuff which is fine, but it would be so little effort to get it out. Pick the five or six best songs from the leftovers and re-record them with the current line-up. Then write five or six new songs with Slash and Duff to keep things fresh. New album - done.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Well, I went back and read your post and don't see anything that contradicts my opinion. I acknowledged Slash is writing new riffs but also said that doesn't mean Axl is writing new lyrics. Axl may just add those "ideas" to the existing tracks.

My opinion is supported in that in every 2019 interview both Slash and Duff mentioned the songs Axl had written, not new songs they had come up with.

I know older artists can come up with great lyrics, I've always despised ageist arguments when it comes to musician creativity. It's just Axl (imo) came up with his best lyrics while angry and miserable, and while I'm glad he is happier now days, I'd rather hear the rest of the stuff he wrote in the dark years instead of an album of happy/mellow or political lyrics.

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I get that Axl isn't likely to abandon all the CD stuff which is fine, but it would be so little effort to get it out. Pick the five or six best songs from the leftovers and re-record them with the current line-up. Then write five or six new songs with Slash and Duff to keep things fresh. New album - done.

depends on what Axl is trying to accomplish artistically with a new Gn'R release. If it's just another good album - sure, that could work but if it's not, and he's more like how Bach described it with CD (that song goes with that one, this one fits the third album) then probably not good enough.

Why not release anything for decades if that idea appeals to him. Maybe it would be fairly easy for him to do but it's just not the goal.

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash has released more quality music over the years than Axl... but that's not rocket science.

I agree.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

At this point I would rather see Slash, Duff with any combination of Matt, Steven, Izzy or Gilby playing theaters.. Even if it was with Myles on vocals who I am not that big on. You know they would release new music. 

I would be down for that. Like the hall of fame and Kings of Chaos shows, those were great. And at least Myles can sound good consistently night after night.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Well, I went back and read your post and don't see anything that contradicts my opinion. I acknowledged Slash is writing new riffs but also said that doesn't mean Axl is writing new lyrics. Axl may just add those "ideas" to the existing tracks.

My opinion is supported in that in every 2019 interview both Slash and Duff mentioned the songs Axl had written, not new songs they had come up with.

I know older artists can come up with great lyrics, I've always despised ageist arguments when it comes to musician creativity. It's just Axl (imo) came up with his best lyrics while angry and miserable, and while I'm glad he is happier now days, I'd rather hear the rest of the stuff he wrote in the dark years instead of an album of happy/mellow or political lyrics.

I Agree

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

depends on what Axl is trying to accomplish artistically with a new Gn'R release. If it's just another good album - sure, that could work but if it's not, and he's more like how Bach described it with CD (that song goes with that one, this one fits the third album) then probably not good enough.

Why not release anything for decades if that idea appeals to him. Maybe it would be fairly easy for him to do but it's just not the goal.

At this point it's pretty obvious he has no goals in terms of releasing music anyways. We're lucky we even got Chinese Democracy when we did.

I dream of a world where Axl cares and the band has a competent management team but alas.

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

At this point it's pretty obvious he has no goals in terms of releasing music anyways. We're lucky we even got Chinese Democracy when we did.

I dream of a world where Axl cares and the band has a competent management team but alas.

or the priority is first the tour (fun, easier, and healthy to the bank account) and then nightmares in the studio

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The reunion has run its course.. The majority of the world sees and hears Axl these days and thinks he is a joke.. The reunion was 10 years too late as it was and no we are 4 years down the road from that. The management is a complete joke.. The lineup still resembles NuGnR more than the band that once took over the world.  I can only speak for myself but I could give two shits if they ever release any new music.  If Axl wasn't in his current state then maybe but he is what he is......  From the beginning I said the only way for this thing to have any real legs with this lineup is on Axl's shoulders. For him to come out looking and and sounding great while carrying the band on his shoulders.. Unfortunately he didn't come close to doing that. He was good enough in 2016 to make it work but it was a fine line and really couldn't afford to lose a step. Now he is tough to swallow. If Izzy, Steven, Matt or even Gilby were involved I would have more interest.  But Axl, Frank, Fortus and Melissa don't do anything for me and I really don't many people outside of these forums in the rock community care about them either. 

At this point I would rather see Slash, Duff with any combination of Matt, Steven, Izzy or Gilby playing theaters.. Even if it was with Myles on vocals who I am not that big on. You know they would release new music. 

Axl > Myles any day ....

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

or the priority is first the tour (fun, easier, and healthy to the bank account) and then nightmares in the studio

Why would the studio be a nightmare? It shouldn't be. The big three have shown they can function together as adults. Slash seems pretty willing to go along with anything since he has SMKC as an outlet for more original tunes if need be. Duff is ultra positive and up for anything. The ball is in one member's court.

I just don't see the point in making excuses for the joke that is this band anymore. It's great that Slash and Duff came back and even that was four years ago now and the novelty has worn off for most people. The next logical step is new music. Arguably it's been the same endless tour since 2009 just with some personnel changes.

38 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Why would the studio be a nightmare? It shouldn't be. The big three have shown they can function together as adults. Slash seems pretty willing to go along with anything since he has SMKC as an outlet for more original tunes if need be. Duff is ultra positive and up for anything. The ball is in one member's court.

I just don't see the point in making excuses for the joke that is this band anymore. It's great that Slash and Duff came back and even that was four years ago now and the novelty has worn off for most people. The next logical step is new music. Arguably it's been the same endless tour since 2009 just with some personnel changes.

I think you're being a tad too literal perhaps. All I'm saying is that even if Axl, Slash, and Duff can function just fine as people, that doesn't mean Axl is suddenly going to switch back to analog and get in the same room with the rest of the band and just jam and record it organically in 6 months. Not making excuses, I just think there is a reason why very little gets released and it's because Axl's process is slow and arduous.

It's not just about what Slash and Duff are willing to do and how. In fact, I don't think that is the issue at all. It's likely more about how long it takes Axl to get the material to where it needs to be.

it doesn't really matter how we think it needs to be like for him to make a Gn'R album. He's gonna do what he wants. To ignore that is to ignore a possible reality which could be that Axl might not be interested at all in making a Gn'R record that will revisit the same old shit and will be just good enough.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree.

I would be down for that. Like the hall of fame and Kings of Chaos shows, those were great. And at least Myles can sound good consistently night after night.

The Hall Of Fame performance was awesome.. I would kill to see that lineup.. Myles and all.  I would choose them over NITL any day if I could pick. 

4 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Axl > Myles any day ....

Can't say I don't agree but not by much.. I was just saying I would rather pay money to see Slash, Duff with any combination of Matt, Steven, Izzy , Gilby and Myles over Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Frank and Melissa these days.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

I still buy CDs, i cant speak for everyone but i think those over 40 still do. I hate downloaded music because its to compressed, plus i still like to look through a booklet on CDs and the credits, read the lyrics, photos etc. An extra bonus if said band also add a DVD with tge CD release. Just like i did with AFD, lies, and illusions when i bought them on cassettes in my teens. Maybe its just me but i think gen xers still buy CDs.

I buy tons of physical media music every week. The general public doesn't though. The greater majority of music numbers come from online streaming.

At the end of the day, GN'R will use whatever excuse they can to jusifty not releasing new music though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

The Hall Of Fame performance was awesome.. I would kill to see that lineup.. Myles and all.  I would choose them over NITL any day if I could pick. 

8 years ago today... I was in college and I stayed up late to watch their livestream which wasn't a real proshot but I could hear everything. It was a really big deal for me back then and of course after that I thought there would be no chance of a reunion... 

I agree, it would be amazing to see that lineup kill it playing classic GnR songs.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Can't say I don't agree but not by much.. I was just saying I would rather pay money to see Slash, Duff with any combination of Matt, Steven, Izzy , Gilby and Myles over Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Frank and Melissa these days.

I agree. Even if it was Gilby or Duff singing it would be a bit more exciting than the FnF show that we have now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I buy tons of physical media music every week. The general public doesn't though. The greater majority of music numbers come from online streaming.

At the end of the day, GN'R will use whatever excuse they can to jusifty not releasing new music though. 

Yep even during a virus, because according to duff people cant get to the record store :facepalm:

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

Honestly, I would not mind an acoustic EP with Axl singing entirely clean. Chuck in Madagascar, a shortened TIL, Sorry, Estranged, SCOM if you HAVE to, alt Don't Cry, and 14 Years ft. Izzy. Bam, overcharge us 35 bucks for it (and split the loot equally) on iTunes and you've made me happy.

3 minutes ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Honestly, I would not mind an acoustic EP with Axl singing entirely clean. Chuck in Madagascar, a shortened TIL, Sorry, Estranged, SCOM if you HAVE to, alt Don't Cry, and 14 Years ft. Izzy. Bam, overcharge us 35 bucks for it (and split the loot equally) on iTunes and you've made me happy.

your name is UYI3

your pic is UYI4

which is it

• Haha 1