The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sad to see everyone accepting that new material is dead. I’ve figured as such for years and was very vocal about it, and it just feels bad to see everyone come to the realization I did and feel disappointment 

And we started the year with so much cautious optimism, which for GNR fans is equal to unabashed glee. But those of us that have been around the block could see where the weather was going once they announced this tour with no new music to promote it. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 7:40 PM, RussTCB said:

I've been afraid of that being a possibility for a couple of years now :/

Me too. To be completely honest, I sent him a gift of appreciation earlier this year. I also included a paracord bracelet that says "Keep Fucking Going". I lost my grandfather to suicide and it seems to be a "trend" for years now that our heroes have been following. 

I was always opposed to a reunion with Slash and Duff because I thought that signaled the band would embrace their nostalgia status fully and that new music would simply not come. With Slash and Duff in the band it would be harder to release the rest of the Chinese Democracy material, and I never thought Duff and Slash would be able to get Axl to put down fresh vocals on anything. So I was excited and surprised when we had indications that Slash was laying down new tracks at Axl's house last year, and when both he and Duff admitted they were working on new music. Yay! It's been a few months and people are getting all gloomy and depressed? Have you learnt nothing from GN'R history? It can take 4-5 years before any new songs are fully recorded with vocals. This is Guns N' Roses. The fact that the band hasn't announced a new record a mere 4 months or so after the first rumours about recording started, is only natural. The fact that Slash just confirmed they had been working on new music but wasn't sure about how to get it out, is just another positive signal. It probably just means Axl is being difficult again. Par for the course. And Jarmo seems quite confident new music will be announced after the South American tour before the start of the European tour. So stop with the ridiculous "we are never getting new music, boohoo," new music hasn't been this likely in many years. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

If we stop misinterpreting Slash’s words ("wow, they don’t know how to release music now?"), then it’s pretty obvious that not only there’ll be new music, but it may happen sooner rather than later IMO. I mean, think about it – they’re in a stage where Slash says they’ve been figuring out how to handle the releasing aspect of the whole thing. This means the material is bound to already have some more or less definite shape, otherwise there would have been no reason for such wording. 

I believe stuff is being cooked. 

Remember how many years before CD was released we were given hints or comments teasing new music on the horizon?  We had those comments every year since 1999 - so right now Slash can say it is a manner of figuring out "how" to release music however that was always Axl's problem. 

CD went through changes from '98 to '08 in various forms, but was ready to be released for many years in various finished forms, the "how" is his weak point when it comes to releasing music

Edited by WhazUp

13 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Remember how many years before CD was released we were given hints or comments teasing new music on the horizon?  We had those comments every year since 1999 - so right now Slash can say it is a manner of figuring out "how" to release music however that was always Axl's problem. 

CD went through changes from '98 to '08 in various forms, but was ready to be released for many years in various finished forms, the "how" is his weak point when it comes to releasing music

Thing is – as already said before – that whether you like it or not, it’s not just Axl’s solo with hired guns anymore. He’s not the only shareholder. Slash is a huge factor here, and he wouldn’t stand for ten years of fiddling about without any fruit coming out of it. It’s different now.

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Thing is – as already said before – that whether you like it or not, it’s not just Axl’s solo with hired guns anymore. He’s not the only shareholder. Slash is a huge factor here, and he wouldn’t stand for ten years of fiddling about without any fruit coming out of it. It’s different now.

I dunno - GNR is great money.  And Slash also has other avenues to express his creative itch and it wouldn't be like Snakepit since his solo endeavors were long established and concurrent with GNR when he rejoined.

I could easily imagine Slash staying in GNR even if Axl said flat out "hey guys I am done releasing any new material", and making that sweet GNR money.  Not that I think any one scenario would happen above another at this point because it is totally unknown, but 2016 was already 4 years ago.  We are at a point now where it is a "shit or get off the pot" situation and I am curious to see if anything will actually come out

Don't get me wrong I would seriously love a new GNR album with this lineup.  But I am not, and will not be hopeful or believing anything until there is an actual announcement of a release date that is set in stone.  With GNR, I have learned not to settle for anything less than that

Edited by WhazUp

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno - GNR is great money.  And Slash also has other avenues to express his creative itch and it wouldn't be like Snakepit since his solo endeavors were long established and concurrent with GNR when he rejoined.

I could easily imagine Slash staying in GNR even if Axl said flat out "hey guys I am done releasing any new material", and making that sweet GNR money.  Not that I think any one scenario would happen above another at this point because it is totally unknown, but 2016 was already 4 years ago.  We are at a point now where it is a "shit or get off the pot" situation and I am curious to see if anything will actually come out

Don't get me wrong I would seriously love a new GNR album with this lineup.  But I am not, and will not be hopeful or believing anything until there is an actual announcement of a release date that is set in stone.  With GNR, I have learned not to settle for anything less than that

It is a good point, yet I still see (or let’s say hope for) a certain point of honouring/maintaining some legacy or reputation etc. on Slash’s part. I want to believe he wouldn’t come back just to use the legend as a cash cow. That’s just not him. And it would become evident even to the casuals sooner or later. 

We’ll see. Just 4 weeks and we’ll be wiser.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

The problem for Slash in 1994-1996 was the fact that GN'R wasn't doing anything. Slash wanted to get the follow-up to UYIs out as soon as possible so he could get back on the road, because being holed-up in Hollywood was a huge risk to him. So he started to focus more on more on Snakepit and Slash's Blues Ball which allowed him to tour, and eventually the problems with Axl (Paul Huge, procrastination, more modern music) meant he left the band. Today the situation is different, the band doesn't do anything but touring. So he is pretty quite okay with the situation, even if it means that whatever guitar tracks he laid down for a new album was wasted. He still get to tour and play and earn ridiculous amounts of money. So I dont think the failure to release anything with GN'R now would be such a big problem to Slash.

All this being said, I believe that Slash hopes to get new music out with GN'R. But he knows Axl better than any of us and probably don't think that a few months without an album being released means that it will never come out. He knows this can take time, a lot of time. Unless Axl has changed and they really do manage to get an album out this year. It isn't entirely implausible if it consists of old music with Axl's vocals already recorded and with Slash and Duff's new input, and where any obstacles with previous members have been resolved.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The problem for Slash in 1994-1996 was the fact that GN'R wasn't doing anything. Slash wanted to get the follow-up to UYIs out as soon as possible so he could get back on the road, because being holed-up in Hollywood was a huge risk to him. So he started to focus more on more on Snakepit and Slash's Blues Ball which allowed him to tour, and eventually the problems with Axl (Paul Huge, procrastination, more modern music) meant he left the band. Today the situation is different, the band doesn't do anything but touring. So he is pretty quite okay with the situation, even if it means that whatever guitar tracks he laid down for a new album was wasted. He still get to tour and play and earn ridiculous amounts of money. So I dont think the failure to release anything with GN'R now would be such a big problem to Slash.

All this being said, I believe that Slash hopes to get new music out with GN'R. But he knows Axl better than any of us and probably don't think that a few months without an album being released means that it will never come out. He knows this can take time, a lot of time. Unless Axl has changed and they really do manage to get an album out this year. It isn't entirely implausible if it consists of old music with Axl's vocals already recorded and with Slash and Duff's new input, and where any obstacles with previous members have been resolved.

Also a good point, but if you look at it from the "idleness is dangerous cause of the drug possibility" point of view, then that’s what he has SMKC for.

GNR was a huge legend in the heydays, and these guys, unlike others, aren’t just sell-out buffoons, which is why I think there’s still this integrity aspect that they should pursue now that they’re back together.

As for the release, I’ve said it before – they don’t need to release anything this year; all it takes is to play a couple of new tunes. That’ll keep the staleness at bay, and everyone will be looking forward to the future prospects or whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

As for the release, I’ve said it before – they don’t need to release anything this year; all it takes is to play a couple of new tunes. That’ll keep the staleness at bay, and everyone will be looking forward to the future prospects or whatever.

Axl already did this before and it still took 7 years to release those same new tunes. 

I understand what you said, but I strongly feel that this time, they really have to cut the bullshit out and just release an album, no teases, no drama. 

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Axl already did this before and it still took 7 years to release those same new tunes. 

I understand what you said, but I strongly feel that this time, they really have to cut the bullshit out and just release an album, no teases, no drama. 

That, of course, would be the best path. What I mean is, they would get away with not releasing the record in 2020 as long as new material is introduced live. Not so much in the years to come, it needs to be released next year at the latest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

I hate the fact that I continue to allow myself to be strung along by this band, lol. But yes, even just a couple of new tunes would be a holy shit moment for me and would at least give an indication that something is there with more (hopefully) on the way.  

In a perfect world, obviously it’s album or nothing, and that’s what we all want. But in this hypothetical scenario, I’d take them playing a couple of new tunes as it would be proof that there IS indeed something there (we already know the proof is there, but I meant in the sense of the band publicly acknowledging that by playing these tunes), with plans to release. We’re at a point where something is better than nothing. 

Edited by GNRfanJen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, betterman said:

I really think that there is more pointing to something will be released this year than the opposite!

BTW is not uncommon to book shows and schedule a tour before the album date is set in stone ;)

If it weren't for Gn'Rs history I guess we would all agree the signs point to an album release in the near future...

• Like 1

The cut off point for hope is May 20th when the European tour starts.

If there's no announcement on that day AND zero new tunes get played that day in Lisbon, all hope is lost for 2020, and the "Next Chapter" will officially just be a huge scam to sell tickets for tour.

Who knows though, maybe we'll get a big announcement before the South American leg (March 14th).

11 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

The cut off point for hope is May 20th when the European tour starts.

If there's no announcement on that day AND zero new tunes get played that day in Lisbon, all hope is lost for 2020, and the "Next Chapter" will officially just be a huge scam to sell tickets for tour.

Who knows though, maybe we'll get a big announcement before the South American leg (March 14th).

So the balance all hangs on my homeland of Portugal then!

• GNFNR 1

59 minutes ago, betterman said:

I really think that there is more pointing to something will be released this year than the opposite!

BTW is not uncommon to book shows and schedule a tour before the album date is set in stone ;)

50 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

If it weren't for Gn'Rs history I guess we would all agree the signs point to an album release in the near future...

And that's the thing, right? GNR fans have been trained to expect nothing. All signs have pointed to GNR moving forward more than a few times. However, GN'R just never manages to do so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, betterman said:

Yes, the only other possibilty to the new chapter will be a reunion with Izzy

I'd love to be wrong, but I really think they're going to consider a mildly shuffled setlist along with a new stage design to be "the next chapter". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1