North American Tour Dates Announced

I think photographs from shorter hair, braids, then a multitude of hats make it pretty obvious he was losing his hair.  It  must have been absolutely traumatic for him, part of his attractiveness included his long red hair.  I think this effected him more than we will ever know and I totally understand  due to male friends  who experienced ongoing trauma with hair loss  and they were not in the public eye.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I think photographs from shorter hair, braids, then a multitude of hats make it pretty obvious he was losing his hair.  It  must have been absolutely traumatic for him, part of his attractiveness included his long red hair.  I think this effected him more than we will ever know and I totally understand  due to male friends  who experienced ongoing trauma with hair loss  and they were not in the public eye.  

oh I can imagine that. Everybody rememebers his long and beautiful red hair.. this is taugh for every man.

Anyone waiting for ticket sales to improve for this leg, shouldn't hold their breath. 

More and more summer tours are being announced by major acts seemingly everyday or every other day lately. 

Pretty much every other tour provides more value to the concert goer than the 14th leg of the same tour from GNR. 

The good news for those of us who haven't picked up tickets yet is that we'll definitely be able to get last minute tickets for super cheap. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Anyone waiting for ticket sales to improve for this leg, shouldn't hold their breath. 

More and more summer tours are being announced by major acts seemingly everyday or every other day lately. 

Pretty much every other tour provides more value to the concert goer than the 14th leg of the same tour from GNR. 

The good news for those of us who haven't picked up tickets yet is that we'll definitely be able to get last minute tickets for super cheap. 

That's what I'm banking on.  It's at the point now where even if a single or album drops within the next 5 months, my mindset will be "Well, you would've had my $600 five months ago had you simply given fans a heads up. Now I can't be bothered."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Damn, I wonder if Axl confronted him.

Some of those stories, like Patton shitting in Axl's shoe or wherever, never really happened, as Bill Gould would admit later. It was either stuff FNM had made up at the time or just urban legends. The only things that probably did happen is Patton pissing on the teleprompter and talking shit about GnR onstage. Patton said a reason they did that stuff was to get attention for themselves, because the GnR crowds were not very responsive to FNM's set.

As  @SoulMonster pointed out, Axl (and Slash) called a meeting with FNM where FNM apologized and continued with the tour. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It is hard to say what of Mike Patton's dissing of GN'R and Axl was based on the truth, something he had heard, or just lies. He liked to stir up shit and went for the provocative angle. Patton would later admit they were like a "gossip column" [Sky Magazine, December 1992].

That being said, he wouldn't be the only one suggesting Axl was losing his hair. In 1996 it was reported he had cut his hair short [New York Daily News, July 11, 1996] and in 1997, Courtney Love -- who wasn't Axl's greatest fan by any metric -- would claim Axl was losing his hair and that this was part of the reason Axl had disappeared from the public eye [Icon Magazine, October 1997]. Of course, Love was trying to hurt Axl (at an opportune time when Axl was apparently in dire straits with GN'R falling apart) by taking a stab at his vanity. Moby was asked about Axl's hair, but would say that Axl always wore a hat around him, so he wouldn't know [Icon Magazine, October 1997]. But Moby would indicate that Axl likely had short hair [Icon Magazine, October 1997]. [Moby would also say Axl was sporting an unkept beard at the time, and indicate it was all to be able to walk around unnoticed.]

Whether this is all just a rumour or actually true I suppose we will never know, unless Axl decides to share. Regardless, it is entirely uninteresting to me.

Courtney Love had made that claim in 1994, in an interview with Spin Magazine released in May of that year, saying that Axl's supposed hair loss was due to him using heroin and prozac:

https://www.spin.com/2014/04/courtney-love-spin-1994-hole-cover-story-love-conquers-all/

I would say that the timing of the interview (considering that it was conducted 1-2 months before it was released, so March-April, and Axl had appeared in public in late January for the RRHOF with his hair seemingly intact), as well as Courtney's "reasoning" don't leave any room for her claims to be taken seriously.

Yet, it was actually that quote from Courtney that started the whole rumour/speculation about Axl losing his hair.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

it is insane, there are so many tours and shows this year.  Chili Peppers are another act that is supposed to be announcing a major tour this summer here in the next month or so.   It is just crazy how many quality shows are going on this year. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just like Red Wings tickets, then.

IgNWsue.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

That's what I'm banking on.  It's at the point now where even if a single or album drops within the next 5 months, my mindset will be "Well, you would've had my $600 five months ago had you simply given fans a heads up. Now I can't be bothered."

Yep, exactly the same story here. They could release a full album this Friday and I'll still be waiting til the last second to buy tickets. Had the given me any sort of heads-up, they would have sold a lot more tickets to fans like me. 

20 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Just like Red Wings tickets, then.

IgNWsue.png

The last two Wings games I went to were from free tickets and one of them was in a suite. I'd be fine with that hook up for GNR too lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep, exactly the same story here. They could release a full album this Friday and I'll still be waiting til the last second to buy tickets. Had the given me any sort of heads-up, they would have sold a lot more tickets to fans like me. 

Which shows that there really is something to be said for competent marketing and strategic planning.  You and I, and plenty of like-minded fans, would have been totally swept up in the marketing blitz of a single and album announcement coinciding with the tour dates and bought the best tickets we could get our hands on out the gates.

Now, weeks removed from that, even if they play 1 or two songs off the record at these shows, it's nothing we couldn't find on YouTube, and with a clear mind I sure am not going to pay the better part of a grand when I've already seen NITL 3 times already.  They really screwed the pooch on this.  

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

it is insane, there are so many tours and shows this year.  Chili Peppers are another act that is supposed to be announcing a major tour this summer here in the next month or so.   It is just crazy how many quality shows are going on this year. 

That's right . 2020 will be an amazing year. Never see that in my life. AC/DC, Metallica, Green Day, Pearl Jam, RATM, Red Hot .......what else !!!!   With all this concurence it's not gonna be so easy to sale tickets for the same show (not the same but....the same !!!)

1 hour ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

That's right . 2020 will be an amazing year. Never see that in my life. AC/DC, Metallica, Green Day, Pearl Jam, RATM, Red Hot .......what else !!!!   With all this concurence it's not gonna be so easy to sale tickets for the same show (not the same but....the same !!!)

Roger Waters, Rolling Stones and Foo Fighters are 3 more major tours rolling through the US this year. 

GNR is going to have a VERY hard time moving the rest of their tickets. 

35 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Roger Waters, Rolling Stones and Foo Fighters are 3 more major tours rolling through the US this year. 

GNR is going to have a VERY hard time moving the rest of their music. 

Ha! As if they needed another excuse to *not* put out new music.

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Ha! As if they needed another excuse to *not* put out new music.

Dammit.... I meant tickets, not music. I just went back to edit my original reply. 

To be clear, GN'R would have absolutely NO problem moving new music. However, I think they're going to have an even harder time moving tickets going forward with the announcement of all these other tours. 

The general public has already seen what they wanted to see with GN'Rs tour. Without new music, there's just nothing of value to catch the average fans attention. 

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

The 90s are back! This year is truly awesome. I have so many cool gigs booked and expecting more. 

The Chili Peppers could be shit out of luck though with announcing late. 

1 hour ago, WildStar said:

The 90s are back! This year is truly awesome. I have so many cool gigs booked and expecting more. 

The Chili Peppers could be shit out of luck though with announcing late. 

No lol, they have a new album coming out with Frusciante.  They will be red hot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Duff walks up to Axl and pats him on the head like a loving comrade-type thing and Axl Rose immediately brings the show to a halt, this is in front of 80,000 people, and be screams, 'Don't you ever touch my head again, motherfucker!' Duff just walked away, wounded. We found out later that it was cos he's going bald and he's worried that, if you touch his hair, it will fall out. Every follicle counts.

Melody Maker, August 8, 19

Now i think we know why axl had that bandage over his head bandage around 97/98. I reckon he certainly had hair work done during that period.

I wouldn't be so sure it's not total fiction, or at least exaggerated. Reading through those interview snippets Mike Patton seems like a total toolbag, even when Axl was trying to be nice to him. It's not great form to be going around badmouthing a band who you were willing to take money from to perform as an opener, cos lets be honest it wasn't Faith No More bringing in the crowds that tour. 

Edited by Caedo
  • Like 3

Yikes.

Just looked on Ticketmaster at the Toronto gig in July.   I would say 50 to 65 percent of tickets are still available.  Toronto is suppose to be one of GNR's better markets in North America.  I can't see current prices holding (floor tickets running $365; stadium nosebleeds running at $85+).  Perhaps they'll offer ticket upgrades for those in the upper deck.  

Still a long way out from the date, though tickets for the same venue in 2016 sold out in under an hour or so. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I'm thinking about getting a pair of tickets for my dad and I. A nice father and son tradition for us to see GN'R. Detroit in July, Comerica Park. Smashing Pumpkins is opening.

I really hope they play some new stuff for a change. We saw them in 2016 at Ford Field, 2012 at The Fillmore Detroit, and for the first time in 2011 Allstate Arena. The first two shows were the best in my opinion, 2011 probably being the top, both in Axl's performance and the performance by the band. Lots of great classic and CD era songs executed beautifully. 

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm thinking about getting a pair of tickets for my dad and I. A nice father and son tradition for us to see GN'R. Detroit in July, Comerica Park. Smashing Pumpkins is opening.

I really hope they play some new stuff for a change. We saw them in 2016 at Ford Field, 2012 at The Fillmore Detroit, and for the first time in 2011 Allstate Arena. The first two shows were the best in my opinion, 2011 probably being the top, both in Axl's performance and the performance by the band. Lots of great classic and CD era songs executed beautifully. 

I was at all 3 of those same shows :)

I'm still very mad at myself for not recording the Fillmore show in 2012. That was an EXCELLENT GNR show and no recordings of it exist. I recorded every other show I saw in that era but didn't record that one for some dumb reason. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Without new music, there's just nothing of value to catch the average fans attention. 

Do you really think the average fan cares about new music from this band though? It may sell a few more tickets to die hards but I don't see it making much of a difference to casuals. 

I think the decline in ticket sales has more to do with high prices more than anything. An average or casual fan has probably seen them once or twice recently and doesn't want to shell out $200 to see them again new music or not.  Especially in a stadium. I know a lot of people that are or were into Gn'R and I don't know of any of them that care about a new Guns N' Roses album. My cousin (who went to Vegas with me) said the other day he would rather them not release anything than something that isn't very good. A guy from my work said he is waiting for more SMKC (even though he didn't like the last one). That same guy skipped all the shows because of ticket prices. I know other's that have as well. I know a couple that were bummed Izzy wasn't back.  I have been a die hard for over 30 years and I could care less if they released anything for several reasons. 

I think the excitement of the reunion has worn off and a lot of people see it for what it is and what I often called it out to be in 2016.  A barely passable lineup that charges too much for tickets, doesn't play a good portion of the songs exceptionally well at all and has a singer that sounds awful most of the while incredibly painful to look at. 

They may have been able to pull off stadiums for the initial reunion but to try it now is just dumb.  Hell, they weren't even a stadium band in the states during their peek.  If the tickets averaged $100 and they played arenas and amphitheaters they would have a successful tour no new music or not. 

There are other bands whose legacy and discography's far exceed Guns N' Roses and realize they aren't a stadium band anymore. Guns N' Rose aren't the Rolling Stones. Far from it. 

my two cents man ;)

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Do you really think the average fan cares about new music from this band though? It may sell a few more tickets to die hards but I don't see it making much of a difference to casuals. 

I think the decline in ticket sales has more to do with high prices more than anything. An average or casual fan has probably seen them once or twice recently and doesn't want to shell out $200 to see them again new music or not.  Especially in a stadium. I know a lot of people that are or were into Gn'R and I don't know of any of them that care about a new Guns N' Roses album. My cousin (who went to Vegas with me) said the other day he would rather them not release anything than something that isn't very good. A guy from my work said he is waiting for more SMKC (even though he didn't like the last one). That same guy skipped all the shows because of ticket prices. I know other's that have as well. I know a couple that were bummed Izzy wasn't back.  I have been a die hard for over 30 years and I could care less if they released anything for several reasons. 

I think the excitement of the reunion has worn off and a lot of people see it for what it is and what I often called it out to be in 2016.  A barely passable lineup that charges too much for tickets, doesn't play a good portion of the songs exceptionally well at all and has a singer that sounds awful most of the while incredibly painful to look at. 

They may have been able to pull off stadiums for the initial reunion but to try it now is just dumb.  Hell, they weren't even a stadium band in the states during their peek.  If the tickets averaged $100 and they played arenas and amphitheaters they would have a successful tour no new music or not. 

There are other bands whose legacy and discography's far exceed Guns N' Roses and realize they aren't a stadium band anymore. Guns N' Rose aren't the Rolling Stones. Far from it. 

my two cents man ;)

I couldn't agree more that GN'R aren't The Stones but they're management sure seem to think they are. 

My point about new music helping ticket sales is that, if it was promoted properly, new music from GNR would be HUGE. I absolutely believe properly promoted new music from GNR would contribute to tons of ticket sales. 

We both agree that the novelty of the reunion has worn off, but where we disagree is on whether or not new music would help them fill stadiums. I truly believe it would but the key would be if the new music was promoted into being a big deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I couldn't agree more that GN'R aren't The Stones but they're management sure seem to think they are. 

My point about new music helping ticket sales is that, if it was promoted properly, new music from GNR would be HUGE. I absolutely believe properly promoted new music from GNR would contribute to tons of ticket sales. 

We both agree that the novelty of the reunion has worn off, but where we disagree is on whether or not new music would help them fill stadiums. I truly believe it would but the key would be if the new music was promoted into being a big deal. 

Have to agree to disagree on that one.  While I think there would be a big initial buzz about new Gn'R music I don't see it packing a stadium.  Maybe 10 years ago but I just don't see the world hanging on for music from a 60 year old Axl Rose. 

I thought Black Sabbath's 13 album was pretty solid.  It even went number one in quite few countries, but it didn't sell tickets. Everyone still wanted to hear the classics. 

I do think that the tour itself if promoted more (which I think it will be) will do a it better.  There just isn't any urgency to buy tickets.  Come show time, I still don't think the tour will be a failure. They will slowly sell tickets along the way and more so as it gets closer.  I am sure they will start promoting more if they feel they need to and I wouldn't even rule out new music yet.  Will they be sellout shows? I doubt it but a 75% full stadium isn't bad for a band their age. 

For better or for worse, I do have a feeling that you are going to get new music though.  

• Like 1