Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

Normally DJ's tweet wouldn't bother me but those bragging stories about beating some guy up and smoking in a maid's face really make this mute.

He's a nice enough guy who has an inferiority and image complex. In turn, it makes him try too hard and come off as a tool. When I met him, he was actually a shy and nervous kind of dude. He was really nice to me. Its just a shame he can't act normal. At the very least, people can criticize his look and antics because they are reflections of the band. People ripped on Bucket, Robin's 2002 look, Axl's hair, etc. Its all just a part of it and if you are going to be in an A list group like GNR, you better be able to handle criticism. ESPECIALLY from the hardcore fan base. Emo/nightmare before Christmas looks, monster logos, his horrible clothing styles, social media whoring, etc all warrant criticism. Sure, sometimes people are super mean on here, but come on dude, you are in GNR...

His online/stage character just isn't very appealing and his quest to fulfill his vision of "cool" is obviously a mask. Just be yourself, dude.

Well said ZoSoRose, why the need to make yourself look tough if it isn't in your nature? Just because you're in a band which was once known to be tough doesn't mean you have to act tough these days when they're more tame. Do you believe those stories about him & Axl beating up some drunk guy then later having photos taken? Funny enough I was thinking of unfollowing DJ when suddenly I noticed he followed me on twitter.

He cops a lot on here from the community but I find there's usually one member of a band the fans don't like - I've noticed on other forums.

And just because somebody is nice to you one time during a 10-second autograph seeking sessions doesn't mean they are a genuinely nice person. It's always seemed weird to me how people make that equation.

True. Even Tommy Lee was very friendly when I met him after a show a few years ago in Paris.

Any reason Guns N Roses is trending on yahoo?

That seems to happen every now and again, no idea why, unless it just so happens a lot of the GNR fanbase uses Yahoo instead of Google, Bing etc... hmm

probably because November Rain/SCOM/Donb't Cry on Valentines day? Lot of people listening those songs on Valentines...

If you diss Ashba online you want relevance from him. What about if you kiss his ass, then? I guess that's valid and not a bid for attention?

Yes, his insecurity is blatant and his online persona noxious and childish and the man is a poser who's ego outweighs his talent by some margin. Add Tommy-slow-clap gif and stir.

I wonder what DJ's reaction for that gif... somebody should post the gif for him :lol:

And just because somebody is nice to you one time during a 10-second autograph seeking sessions doesn't mean they are a genuinely nice person. It's always seemed weird to me how people make that equation.

True. Even Tommy Lee was very friendly when I met him after a show a few years ago in Paris.

It's something akin to thinking the stripper really likes you, isn't it? :lol:

Pretty much.

It's better than someone being a knob to you in those few minutes, though. Michael Jordan's notorious for being a knob to anyone who isn't a young attractive woman.

The insecurity and irony is strong with this one... the main issue people have is his that he lacks the ability to be in Guns N' Roses and he is a tiring and often desperate cliché who likes the idea of being considered a sensational guitarist and that his whole carnival plastic dollar ninety nine halloween aisle schtick is unsavoury. I don't know if that's ''bullying'' more than stating the obvious, I have nothing against his personally, he seems a decent chap actually, he just isn't the right guy for a band of this calibre and should focus on being a better musician despite the numbers he sells, and good for him on that front though many lesser talented folk can do well in the alternative genre these days, just look around. Not a terrible guitarist by any stretch just not very good, I enjoy his solo sections and wouldn't mind him on a few new tracks.

The cons far, far outweigh any positives however and this kinda weak retribution and delusion of what ''the source'' could be is picard facepalm worthy. No smoke without fire as they say, not everyone is as sad to want to bully someone cause their life sucks... maybe 10% of the abuse he gets is due to nutjobs taking their anger out irrationally, the rest have valid observations. He probably catches as much heat as Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Finck and Fortus combined despite their oddness, there's plenty of reasons.

Agreed! If he can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Don't get me wrong the whole anonymity of the internet can make people do / say things that have the capacity to really hurt people no matter famous or old they are. Dj's criticisms on the other hand are all about his clothing (hats, and horrid rip/stiched pants and jackets), his musical ability and the cringey posts he makes on a daily basis.

I'll take cringey posts if you nail your parts every night.

I'll take looking like a 16yr old goth, if you nail your parts every night.

I don't dislike him personally, I'm sure he's a nice guy if you get talking to him. But his whole social media personality is so shallow, I can't believe people fall for it - does he even respond to people?

Bumblefoot is a pain from time to time, but at least he's straight up. Sometimes he's going to be a little prickly and he might call you out, but most of the time he responds to anyone who isn't asking direct Gnr related questions (that he'd get in trouble for answering) and will help you if he can. I'll put it this way, I PM'd DJ and Ron once, when I had trouble with my GnR VIP package... grndcntrl = dicks! anyway! Dj never got back to me, Ron!? got back to me within an hour, he contacted gnr management and had them send me out my package... that's a nice guy!!! that's a guy who cares about GnR fans, genuine, the opposite of Dj.

Dj might do something similar at other times, and my message might have been one of many (Bumble gets a ton of emails too) but Dj largely does good things when there's some way for him to benefit from it... if he showed himself to be a bit more genuine I could be a bit more forgiving on his guitar skills.

• Like 1

Good post, it's that old thing, if you have the talent and idk some kinda compelling FORCE within you that livens the band up and offers things that far outweigh your sideshow swag tent and silly teenage faux-rebellious attitude and hashtags and damn even if Sixx:Am was just a profitable middle of the road generic rock band where GNR was what you really showed your swagger on, I could accept these aspects of him, it's just that it seems to be the limit of him... he is a capable guitar player but capable is about the plateau. He gets people talking at least, perhaps this is Axl's masterplan lol.

His performances are okay, not shithouse levels like many people think, nor are they too competent, it's just barely 'acceptable'. Not that this matters to anyone but the GNR nerds, he entertains the crowd and GNR continue making profit from very high calibre shows despite Ashba's shortcomings. I wouldn't mind him being on a couple songs, he can play some good things but compared to another guitarist coming in and joining BBF and Fortus, he isn't exactly a brilliant option ya know, there's nothing personal about that so I don't see how it's bullying, if he is referring to GNR fans not being impressed after 5 years unlike how we are with several other members.

That's great about the Bumblefoot thing, I am still seething at this situation Axl has sat back and created again with a potentially legendary axeman who was capable of writing absolute classics with his knowledge and passion on the guitar and vocally the guy is very interesting too... to let that slip thru your fingers and have the problem of getting yet another guy in and the potential for Ashba to control things... it's just farcical. To not use the guy for anything but touring the same thing over and over, his only 'contributions' solos on CD tracks he barely even heard.

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 1

It's better than someone being a knob to you in those few minutes, though. Michael Jordan's notorious for being a knob to anyone who isn't a young attractive woman.

Oh, I completely agree. I just mean you can't make any grand statements about their character simply because they smile and kiss a few babies for the camera. That's kind of their job.

Honestly, I don't even blame DJ that much for the tweet. Sure, it's a stupid tweet and all, but if he takes a look at some of the shit said about him, justified as it all his because he is in fact a total knob, then I can understand his getting a bit upset and posting a melodramatic tweet every once in a while. So my problem with DJ isn't about little temper tantrums, because at least that's human and real - my problem is still about his inability to play guitar and his fake-ass douchey persona.

Oh, I completely agree. I just mean you can't make any grand statements about their character simply because they smile and kiss a few babies for the camera. That's kind of their job.

Honestly, I don't even blame DJ that much for the tweet. Sure, it's a stupid tweet and all, but if he takes a look at some of the shit said about him, justified as it all his because he is in fact a total knob, then I can understand his getting a bit upset and posting a melodramatic tweet every once in a while. So my problem with DJ isn't about little temper tantrums, because at least that's human and real - my problem is still about his inability to play guitar and his fake-ass douchey persona.

Ya, I really don't care what these guys do in their personal lives.

My only real problem with his message is that you can't send a "stop bullying" message out while also talking about knocking people's teeth out - in the same message. I mean, which is worse? "You suck, you look like a douche" or "hey buddy" BAM, a fist to the face that knocks out your teeth. To me, the second one is worse. I'd much rather somebody call me a jerk, or somebody call my kid a jerk - than somebody punching me or my child in the face hard enough and enough times to knock all our teeth out.

It's like a meth addict criticizing somebody for doing heroin.

Any reason Guns N Roses is trending on yahoo?

That seems to happen every now and again, no idea why, unless it just so happens a lot of the GNR fanbase uses Yahoo instead of Google, Bing etc... hmm

Yahoo, huge in the 90' s virtually obsolete now. Yeah I can see why yahoo would be the gnr fans choice.

• Like 3

From Slash- I just had Meegan delete her Twitter. FYI. iiii]; p

How cool is GNR and Slash and Axl?!

I mean, they're so cool! Having girlfriends delete twitter and "tweeting" about it with a smiley face with your top hat, disappearing for years and months on end and refusing to release music, having your lead guitar player leave and get mad on social media, having another use "hashtags" like they are his job to promote his clothing line...

Seriously, its all just so cool... "most dangerous band in the world"

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

At least he isnt pussy whipped like he was with perla.

I don't think telling your girlfriend to delete her twitter is any better than being pussy-whipped tbh.

"YEAHHHH! TOLD THAT BITCH TO TWEET NO MORE SON!!! ALPHA DAWWWWG!"

God, middle-age has not been good to these guys.