The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

Curious if Izzy/Sorum got lowball offers on the reunion tour similar to what happened with Megadeth's potential reunion, and that's why their names weren't in the mix

I mean Fortus is alright and Frank is probably the least popular of all the GnR drummers, but it isn't really a reunion tour when it's just adding Slash and making Duff a permanent member

In Izzy's case it is more likely that he just doesn't want to go on a tour. He doesn't like that kind of lifestyle. I'm sure he would show up for quite a few gigs though if the others decide to tour together. He's just not going to commit to a year or more on the road.

Is anyone else not bothered what happens either way, but if a reunion does go ahead, I'm really scared that I won't get a ticket- like when Kate Bush's tickets went on sale. I was in a queue for 15 minutes and by then they had all gone. :(

Yeah, this has crossed my mind too. You're near enough to me to go to the same show - if it comes down to it I'll aim to buy 2 just in case, you do the same and we should be okay. It's not like we couldn't offload surplus tickets easily.

Deal? :lol:

Deal! Which location world best for you (assuming Leeds won't be on the map)? I tend to go to either Newcastle or Sheffield. Happy to do Manchester too.

To be fair I'd probably go anywhere in UK pretty much. It might well be a case of take what you can get.

Look at us, talking like it's on! :rofl-lol:

Well as a mod, you'd know!

• Like 1

Is anyone else not bothered what happens either way, but if a reunion does go ahead, I'm really scared that I won't get a ticket- like when Kate Bush's tickets went on sale. I was in a queue for 15 minutes and by then they had all gone. :(

Yeah, this has crossed my mind too. You're near enough to me to go to the same show - if it comes down to it I'll aim to buy 2 just in case, you do the same and we should be okay. It's not like we couldn't offload surplus tickets easily.

Deal? :lol:

Deal! Which location world best for you (assuming Leeds won't be on the map)? I tend to go to either Newcastle or Sheffield. Happy to do Manchester too.

To be fair I'd probably go anywhere in UK pretty much. It might well be a case of take what you can get.

Look at us, talking like it's on! :rofl-lol:

Well as a mod, you'd know!

Yeah, my naive, fangirl confusion is just a front. ;)

I think Slash and Duff would get on alot better with Axl these day! They are both sober and have their heads screwed on not like the old days when they wear shit faced and fucked up on drugs 24/7. Theres nothing worse then hanging around people when they are pissed and you are sober

• Like 1

Needless to say, if this happens I'll eat my hat.

probably be a lot of hat eating if it does happen. a lot of forumites have said they'd quit the forums, eat their hats, and other stuff. anybody have the most extreme case of "if this happens...."?

Needless to say, if this happens I'll eat my hat.

probably be a lot of hat eating if it does happen. a lot of forumites have said they'd quit the forums, eat their hats, and other stuff. anybody have the most extreme case of "if this happens...."?

You don't understand. I literally had to eat my hat when Chinese Democracy was released. This isn't my first rodeo.

I'm leaning more towards fact than fiction at this point. In the 19 years since Slash left the band, reunion rumors have never been reported to this extent in the media. Even the HOF was more about speculation and hope on the part of fans than any source promising of a possible reunion. I believe this would have been shot down right after Slash's statement that they were talking months ago. The last time Slash mentioned he just attempted to talk to Axl, a scathing press release was quickly issued in an attempt to discredit him and cause friction with his band, VR, at the time. That didn't happen this go around. Nothing about Myles being spineless or anything like that, so I'd say its promising.

New music would be cool. Of course! But I'm less hopeful of that than seeing the classic lineup on stage again. While Slash has stayed true to his blusey rock Guns roots, Axl went all CD in an experiment that went horribly wrong. Hopefully he got that shit out of his system and saw the error of his ways. If not then they're back to where they left off over 2 decades ago. But hey, seeing those guys on stage together again is still worth the price of admission. I'll take it.

Good to see a fellow veteran still kicking around!

• Like 1

its gotta be happening i mean this shit is no longer smoke its an outright inferno

at this point if it wasn't happening i believe somebody (Axl, Slash, Duff) would have stepped up and poured the cold bucket of water already

so start saving up for tickets

Edited by -HollywoodRose-
  • Like 1

I don't understand all the Fortus hate. Lets call a spade a spade, he is 5x the guitar player that Gilby is. Now of course, Izzy would be my first choice. But if he is not part of the equation, why in the world would you want Gilby over Fortus? Other than you just plain hate all things nugnr related. I myself am of the opinion that I want to see the best possible version of Guns n Roses, and given all the past members, Fortus IS the 2nd best guy that has ever had the "Izzy role" except for Izzy himself.

• Like 4

I don't understand all the Fortus hate. Lets call a spade a spade, he is 5x the guitar player that Gilby is. Now of course, Izzy would be my first choice. But if he is not part of the equation, why in the world would you want Gilby over Fortus? Other than you just plain hate all things nugnr related. I myself am of the opinion that I want to see the best possible version of Guns n Roses, and given all the past members, Fortus IS the 2nd best guy that has ever had the "Izzy role" except for Izzy himself.

I like Gilby, but this. Fortus is awesome

Totally agree!

Said perfectly. So true!

• Like 1

I do not hate Fortus - I do not really understand why he is in new gnr but that is besides the point. But seeing as we are discussing a reunion, a reunion could only possibly return a line-up to a more legitimate entity which we associate with the period 1985-1993. And seeing as Fortus was not involved in that history and has never played with Slash and Duff, a reunion with Fortus would be a complete misnomer. Gilby is the obvious replacement for Izzy seeing as he played 138 gigs with Axl, Slash and Duff together, and has the Ron Wood rhythm that compliments Slash well - we do not need extra lead guitarists!

''The best possible version of Guns n Roses'' would consist of a bunch of technical players such as Buckethead, Freese, Bumbelfoot. We have seen versions of that and they have all been universally shite and simply not ''Guns N' Roses''. A reunion does not aim to create the 'best possible version'' of a band, but aims to recreate a distinct line-up.

• Like 2

Whatever you want to call it, I want to see the version of GnR that I want to see:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Izzy or Richard

maybe Dizzy

Frank

I'd love the Appetite line-up just as much but saw too much reality TV of Adler so that soiled it for me. I have no interest in seeing Gilby or Matt for whatever reason.

To the general public, outside the forum nobody cares as long as Slash and Duff are in. I have told a shit load of people and everybody seems excited. I mention that it probably won't have the original drummer or rythem guitar. And not 1 person cares. For me personally, I am glad that this lineup won't involve Adler. I will take any ex gnr drummer over Adler. I hope that Izzy will make it for some shows.

I for one, also like Gilby. But I also realize that Fortus is the better musician.

@DD, when I said "best possible version of Guns n roses" the key word in there was possible. I agree that the best possible version would be the Appetite line up, but perhaps that reunion is not possible. Perhaps Izzy just isn't down with returning full time. So then we ask ourselves what's the next best scenario? That's where I choose Fortus over Gilby. Gilby was cool for his time in gnr, but he is not ANY MORE of an original member than Fortus is. Lets not forget that Gilby only played on TSI. Honestly I would rank Fortus higher than Gilby in all time importance. Yes Gilby did play on the biggest tours of Guns career, that can't be forgotten. So he is a beloved former memeber, but his all time rank is below Sorum, and even BBF, but a head of Ashba. So all things considered, why all the demand for him.

As for your claim that a "bunch of technical players..." blah blah blah. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about REAL Guns n roses, and most of us agree that real guns n roses were on top of the world back in 1992. But guess what, Izzy was already gone by then. So what was the common denominator between that band and this possible reunion band? Axl, slash, and Duff. So yes, imo those three on stage together agian makes this band worthy of being called guns n roses. So am I going to piss and moan about what other guitar player and drummer are up there? No. Yes I would prefer izzy, but again... That's his call. But Gilby over Fortus? No thanks.

As for drummers, I would prefer Sorum, yes. But at the end of the day, that's the least important guy, always has been. Maybe by having Frank and Fortus involved it helps Axl transition back to the old guys all while still having the last 15 years feel relevant? Both Fortus and Frank (to a lesser extent) DID play on CD, so I'm a way it does help give legitimacy to the NU line ups if Fortus and Frank are a part of the reunion. But again, id personally prefer Adler and Sorum, but I'm not gonna bitch about it. Having Axl, Slash, Duff, and the occasional Izzy is more than enough for me to call this band Guns n' FUCKING Roses. I haven't been able to add the fucking part since 1994, so that feels nice.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

I just do not understand it - I really don't. You have the chance of seeing the 1992-93 line-up of Guns N' Fuckin Roses and you choose a strange mashed-up line-up consisting of Axl, Slash, Duff and two randoms. Furthermore, nobody can be certain if this mash-up can actually gel, both offstage and on. We do not know that Slash will gel with Fortus - we can guess but we do not know for certain - but we can be sure that Gilby will gel with Slash!

It makes absolutely no sense to me! Give me Gilby/Matt any day over Fortus/Frank (and I'm not even that keen on Matt's drumming style).

• Like 2

Honestly, Fortruss would be just fine. He's proven himself to be a very capable cover musician. He's been covering AFD, Lies, and UYI for such a long time-- he probably can play those songs like 1991-Izzy better than 2015-Izzy can.

Of course we'd all prefer Izzy, but he'd do only a few one-off shows here and there, to line his pockets with quick and easy money.