The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

I just do not understand it - I really don't. You have the chance of seeing the 1992-93 line-up of Guns N' Fuckin Roses and you choose a strange mashed-up line-up consisting of Axl, Slash, Duff and two randoms. Furthermore, nobody can be certain if this mash-up can actually gel, both offstage and on. We do not know that Slash will gel with Fortus - we can guess but we do not know for certain - but we can be sure that Gilby will gel with Slash!

It makes absolutely no sense to me! Give me Gilby/Matt any day over Fortus/Frank (and I'm not even that keen on Matt's drumming style).

But that's the thing man, Gilby and Sorum are just as big of "randoms" as Fortus and Frank are. Well maybe not Frank, he probably is the LEAST important of the four. But besides that, how can you honestly argue that Sorum and Gilby are more legitimate than Fortus is?

I don't understand all the Fortus hate. Lets call a spade a spade, he is 5x the guitar player that Gilby is. Now of course, Izzy would be my first choice. But if he is not part of the equation, why in the world would you want Gilby over Fortus? Other than you just plain hate all things nugnr related. I myself am of the opinion that I want to see the best possible version of Guns n Roses, and given all the past members, Fortus IS the 2nd best guy that has ever had the "Izzy role" except for Izzy himself.

This.

I hate to point out the obvious but, when Axl wanted a new rhythm player, did he call Gilby or Fortus? When Slash was putting together his touring band, did he want Gilby or Fortus? Both wanted Fortus, so both [apparently] acknowledge that he is the better player, and if Izzy won't do a tour why would anyone prefer this guy over Fortus? Because Gilby was the first Izzy replacement and used to stand beside Slash? From a musical standpoint Richard is the obvious choice.

And what I really think is funny, is some of the people who want Gilby are the same who say that 'GNR' are the Appetite five and them only, so again, if there's a replacement what does it matter who it is? It's either a "true" reunion or it isn't, and if it isn't, why not put together the best lineup?

edit: a hybird lineup will still be billed as an 'Axl/Slash reunion' whether the rest of the band has existed before or not. :shrugs:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

I will say, there are definitely parts of Frank's drumming style I dislike (I can say the same for Matt, though). The way Frank plays Estranged and Brownstone is annoying, and the first time I saw Guns in early 2010, when they played Rocket Queen I thought it was Scraped for the first couple seconds (because both are just drum intro's, and he fucked it up). Still, I don't really have a preference to Frank over Matt, but I have a feeling Frank will still be behind the kit the next time we see "GNR" on stage.

In Franks defense, Matt never played the AFD songs right either (his kit way tuned way too tight for them), and his Mr Brownstone was worse than either 'nu' GNR drummers.

I just do not understand it - I really don't. You have the chance of seeing the 1992-93 line-up of Guns N' Fuckin Roses and you choose a strange mashed-up line-up consisting of Axl, Slash, Duff and two randoms. Furthermore, nobody can be certain if this mash-up can actually gel, both offstage and on. We do not know that Slash will gel with Fortus - we can guess but we do not know for certain - but we can be sure that Gilby will gel with Slash!

It makes absolutely no sense to me! Give me Gilby/Matt any day over Fortus/Frank (and I'm not even that keen on Matt's drumming style).

But that's the thing man, Gilby and Sorum are just as big of "randoms" as Fortus and Frank are. Well maybe not Frank, he probably is the LEAST important of the four. But besides that, how can you honestly argue that Sorum and Gilby are more legitimate than Fortus is?

Matt Sorum played on more old band tracks than Adler. Hardly a random - this was back in the day that gnr released music. You can at least hear Sorum's style and see that he had a distinct style which shaped the Illusion albums. Both Gilby and Matt were handpicked by Slash who had the consent of the band; the decision to hire them was therefore a consensual one and not a product of Axl's crazy circus dictatorship. I can consider neither a random.

I don't understand all the Fortus hate. Lets call a spade a spade, he is 5x the guitar player that Gilby is. Now of course, Izzy would be my first choice. But if he is not part of the equation, why in the world would you want Gilby over Fortus? Other than you just plain hate all things nugnr related. I myself am of the opinion that I want to see the best possible version of Guns n Roses, and given all the past members, Fortus IS the 2nd best guy that has ever had the "Izzy role" except for Izzy himself.

This.

I hate to point out the obvious but, when Axl wanted a new rhythm player, did he call Gilby or Fortus? When Slash was putting together his touring band, did he want Gilby or Fortus? Both wanted Fortus, so both [apparently] acknowledge that he is the better player, and if Izzy won't do a tour why would anyone prefer this guy over Fortus? Because Gilby was the first Izzy replacement and used to stand beside Slash? From a musical standpoint Richard is the obvious choice.

Slash carried on playing with Gilby into 1997 after he had been sacked by Axl.

And what I really think is funny, is some of the people who want Gilby are the same who say that 'GNR' are the Appetite five and them only, so again, if there's a replacement what does it matter who it is? It's either a "true" reunion or it isn't, and if it isn't, why not put together the best lineup?

edit: a hybird lineup will still be billed as an 'Axl/Slash reunion' whether the rest of the band has existed before or not. :shrugs:

I've never stated anything other than an Appetite reunion would be immensely preferably.

• Like 1

This.

...yet wanted Richard when he was putting together his most recent touring band, and Richard declined.

And have you not said Gilby would be prefferable because of things like his appearance in music videos (where he was miming) and his playing on a covers album? Fortus may only have played on like half of Chinese but at least they were original songs. "nuGNR" label aside, Richard is clearly the better guitar player.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

Matt Sorum played on more old band tracks than Adler. Hardly a random - this was back in the day that gnr released music. You can at least hear Sorum's style and see that he had a distinct style which shaped the Illusion albums. Both Gilby and Matt were handpicked by Slash who had the consent of the band; the decision to hire them was therefore a consensual one and not a product of Axl's crazy circus dictatorship. I can consider neither a random.

I'll give you Sorum, he is probably the most legitimate non original member. But Gilby? No way. Fortus out ranks Gilby man, any way you slice it.

• Like 1

This.

...yet wanted Richard when he was putting together his most recent touring band, and Richard declined.

And have you not said Gilby would be prefferable because of things like his appearance in music videos (where he was miming) and his playing on a covers album? Fortus may only have played on like half of Chinese but at least they were original songs. "nuGNR" label aside, Richard is clearly the better guitar player.

CD is not bona fide gnr. To most people, the people returning to the shows under a reunion, nugnr is an aberration. Those original songs count for nothing.

Regarding the abilities, you are not choosing somebody on their lead here. You are replacing Izzy. Izzy supplied a stonesy rhythm, basic chords/power chords spliced with some Chuck Berry notes. Both Gilby and Richard can equally play those parts. Richard's extra abilities are essentially nullified. They were nullified in the nugnr set-up, people complaining that he should take over Ashba's leads for years, so how does that bode well when Richard links up with Slash? Or do you want him to share leads? Nobody is going to want that with Slash there!

• Like 1

This.

CD is not bona fide gnr. To most people, the people returning to the shows under a reunion, nugnr is an aberration. Those original songs count for nothing.

Regarding the abilities, you are not choosing somebody on their lead here. You are replacing Izzy. Izzy supplied a stonesy rhythm, basic chords/power chords spliced with some Chuck Berry notes. Both Gilby and Richard can equally play those parts. Richard's extra abilities are essentially nullified. They were nullified in the nugnr set-up, people complaining that he should take over Ashba's leads for years, so how does that bode well when Richard links up with Slash? Or do you want him to share leads? Nobody is going to want that with Slash there!

I'd say CD is as much "GNR" as 1993-Guns playing 12 cover songs but that's not really the point as it's kind of subjective how "GNR" that album is.

And no, I don't want Richard to share lead guitar, the video comparisons were more to show my preference for Richard in general. And if all they're gonna do is play the usual setlist, I'd honestly be more interested in a Richard/Slash combination. As I've said before, the rhythm player and drummer, if not Izzy and Steven, are irrelevant in the sense that the tour will still be marketed as an Axl and Slash reunion. All "if" and "but" bullshit aside, Fortus is the better player and he's who I'd prefer to see, your point about the 200-something shows Gilby and Slash played is also irrelevant as it's not like they wouldn't rehearse and find a groove, not everyone in the band is like Axl :lol:

I feel like if Richard plays you'll actually be able to hear him since he has lead chops and is Axl's guy... Gilby would be relegated to barely audible like on the UYI tour and like Slash's touring rhythm guitarist. Fuck I wish it was Izzy, though.

The drummer is the big debate for me.

Edited by Ant

I will say, there are definitely parts of Frank's drumming style I dislike (I can say the same for Matt, though). The way Frank plays Estranged and Brownstone is annoying, and the first time I saw Guns in early 2010, when they played Rocket Queen I thought it was Scraped for the first couple seconds (because both are just drum intro's, and he fucked it up). Still, I don't really have a preference to Frank over Matt, but I have a feeling Frank will still be behind the kit the next time we see "GNR" on stage.

In Franks defense, Matt never played the AFD songs right either (his kit way tuned way too tight for them), and his Mr Brownstone was worse than either 'nu' GNR drummers.

True. Matt's live tone during the UYI tour was awful. But his tone and his playing got much, much better during his VR days.

makes sense that axl wouldn't dump all members that are in the band currently, why would he? just bring on members that fill the spots that are vacant. would it be cool to see all the "original" appetite members perform? absolutely! -but a one off show is different than being long term in a functioning band.

people on the forum are gonna bitch but joe six-pack don't give a shit. he don't know who the other members are or were. he want's to see axl (with rasp) and slash doing those riffs.

Fortus, Dizzy, Pitman and Frank would just mean that Axl keeps control of GNR and Slash and Duff join for the reunion tour.

This way Axl can put out CD II/Remix next year and then tour for big money on a reunion tour of SA and Europe summer 2016.

Maybe by 2017 they will do a Vegas Residency of the classic AFD line up then tour the US.

There's a lot of options and they could be touring for the next 10-20 years.

Putting a solid hybrid line up reunion tour on might only be the start of things to come. If they go with the risky Adler and Izzy and it falls apart they lose everything. Baby steps, friends, baby steps.

CD II, but first cocktails!

• Like 3

Fortus, Dizzy, Pitman and Frank would just mean that Axl keeps control of GNR and Slash and Duff join for the reunion tour.

This way Axl can put out CD II/Remix next year and then tour for big money on a reunion tour of SA and Europe summer 2016.

Maybe by 2017 they will do a Vegas Residency of the classic AFD line up then tour the US.

There's a lot of options and they could be touring for the next 10-20 years.

Putting a solid hybrid line up reunion tour on might only be the start of things to come. If they go with the risky Adler and Izzy and it falls apart they lose everything. Baby steps, friends, baby steps.

CD II, but first cocktails!

I think Axl is getting a kick out of the crazy shit that is going down right now. Why would he clarify the situation and give information and ruin the fun?

It took Duff like 4 or 5 years to completely rekindle his friendship with Axl. Slash still needs to release Con lll and tour it before he's available.

Don't know anything, but I'm guessing at least Duff is in, Fortus seems to still be in, Frank as well.

CD ll, half reunions, a tour without an album or an album without a tour. This could be delayed to 2020.

Why would Axl hire another guitar player if him and Slash are cool again?

A good option will be to first release CD ll, wait, and then when Slash is available you go for it with Fortus and Duff.

In the mean time, Slash and Duff can help Axl out in the studio.

So many options right now.