Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

I agree with this.

I dont think Izzy is as important to the live performance as people make out.

He has almost zero stage precense for me... i like the guy, and everything hes contributed to GNR cannot be underestimated.. but in terms of a live gig.. he isnt the deal breaker for me.

His guitars were never turned up that high, at post-1988. While it would be ideal, to have the guy who contributed so much to GNR be included, I could live with Richard or Gilby on second guitar duties. Same with Ferrer instead of Adler - especially if Adler is too unreliable of a person to take on tour. Although I would love for Sorum to be included

• Like 1

I agree with this.

He has almost zero stage precense for me... i like the guy, and everything hes contributed to GNR cannot be underestimated.. but in terms of a live gig.. he isnt the deal breaker for me.

His guitars were never turned up that high, at post-1988. While it would be ideal, to have the guy who contributed so much to GNR be included, I could live with Richard or Gilby on second guitar duties. Same with Ferrer instead of Adler - especially if Adler is too unreliable of a person to take on tour. Although I would love for Sorum to be included

Yeah, I remember Axl saying that Izzy would be so out of it hed actually play the wrong song so thats why they turned his amps down lol

Of course, having the classic line up would be a real reunion, i could handle a line up consisting of UYI players as well...

I will be honest, im really not interested in seeing Frank or Ferrer...

But i think thats what we will get if you believe any of the reports that are out there at the moment.

At the end of the day, ill pay my money and go regardless... just to see Duff and Slash back up there with Axl would be amazing.. seeing Adler, Sorum, Izzy and/or Gilby at any point would be a bonus.

This is, by far, the most logical line-up. Izzy and Steven are way too unpredictable for something big like this.

Furthermore, I think Richard and Slash would be a perfect Rhythm - Lead combo.

So Izzy and Steven are "unpredictable"?

That probably means that mr. W. Axl Rose is very "predictable"...

Besides, who in the world wants a band that is "predictable"?

GNR didnt become the best band ever because they were "predictable".

They became the best band ever because they could write, record and perform great, terrific music.

All these professional and dedicated (and predictable) musicians that have been playing with Axl Rose for the last decade cant do that.

The five guys can

It is not 1990 anymore.

I agree that the music scene has been pretty tame for a while, but like it or not, these are different times.

we are in 2015, the five guys are alive and everybody knows they can make music together

of course you can deny that as much as you want

of course you can say that it is impossible

of course you can choose to play safe

playing safe is hiring nice and professional and predictable, fully in-control musicians like the ones we know so well

-- bumble this, dj that, frank this, miles that, todd this etc etc

thing is

these guys (specially axl and slash) have been playing safe for years now

they made a career out of playing safe

is there any safer thing that you can do than hire a nice guy that can hit all the notes just like Celine Dion to front a band? Miles Kennedy can hit as many high notes as he wants. He sings in fucking tune. He worked hard to be where he is and by all accounts he fully deserves to have all the success that hes got. He can write musics, he can play guitar, and you dont read anything about him complaining or having problems with addictions or any of that shit. many of us would love to be in his place. he is probably such a fucking nice guy that each and every one of us would probably be happy to have him as a friend or a band mate. but he is boring. his lyrics are downright embarrassing. his voice is annoying. and he sings about fucking elephants.

now is there any safer thing you can do than hiring professional, in control, predictable musicians like dj this, frank that, bumble this, richard that? axl started in another direction -- he hired some not so in-control and not so predictable people like bucket whatever and robin whatever. but they didnt fuckin last. it was similar to what slash and duff did by hiring that creepy weiland dude. it exploded eventually. so axl chose to play really, really safe and hired these very professional and very in control and very reliable musicians that got so thrilled to be in "GNR" (the money!, the exposure!, the fun!) that they wouldnt waste any time trying to say no to axl. why ruin it all if you can say yes? everybody gets happy, right? its just a shame that these musicians, like Miles, are terribly boring (sorry for repeating myself here)

now, there is a good side, of course, to playing safe

there is a good side, of course, to have reliable, predictable and willing-to-agree-with-you people in YOUR band

#1 good thing is that Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff have basically full creative control on their bands

#2 good thing is that the professional and predictable and in-control hired band members are always happy, always willing to help, to play, to write, to hang out and to say yes. They dont create problems.

now what is the bad side of it?

we all know what the bad side is

the bad side is that after you tasted GNR

and you play with these type of people

there will always be something missing

it doesnt go all the way

it doesnt take you there

For some years, it was probably very nice for Slash, Axl, Izzy and Duff to play safe and have a healthy, controlled life

it was probably actually a big fucking relief to these guys to be able to leave all the madness behind and live a... predictable life!

thing is

now

it appears

(not sure of that, but it appears...)

that Axl

Izzy

Slash

and Duff

had enough

of safe

they are probably sick of playing safe with predictable musicians

they probably want to taste that madness called GNR again

to see if they can make GOLD out of it

even if it is just for one more time

===

and you know what?

you may like playing safe

but most of us are eagerly waiting for Guns n Roses to come back

:headbang:

• Like 1

I agree with this.

its not about stage presence

(by the way izzy has a great stage presence, only a fool would say he doesnt have stage presence)

its is about how he plays the guitar

its about the music that comes out of his guitar

of course that you and some people may not care about that

but a lot of us do

• Like 2

I agree with this.

(by the way izzy has a great stage presence, only a fool would say he doesnt have stage presence)

but a lot of us do

But is it really deal breaking for you? Would you not go or take interest if Izzy weren't there? I know plenty of people who didn't take interest when Slash wasn't there. Would Izzy have that same effect? I'm not so sure.

Right. Now. I've ignored a lot of reunion threads. But one thing comes to mind. Is it just me, or does common sense dictate that a reunion tour is actually incredibly stupid? Ask yourself how likely this conversation is:

Axl: Wow dude, I've been so fucking pissed at you for years.

Slash: Yeah dude, me too.

Axl: So, I mean. Burying the hatchet is nice. I'm not sure if you can even call it rekindling a friendship yet, but it's nice.

Slash: Totally. It's fragile, but it's a nice start.

Axl: Totally. So, I know your career is going fairly nice and all. But I'm sort of done with this new GnR deal. Let's be honest, DJ is a colossal asshat.

Slash: lol! He is.

Axl: So, you want to put this fragile new relationship on the line right away by putting ourselves back in a stressfull touring enviroment right away?

Slash: Totally! And if that doesn't ruin everything, we can always try to record another album.

Axl: lol! We can have it ready by 2028! Soon is the word!

Slash: lol!

It got locked, but there's a thread a few down from this one that lays out the timeline of a slow thaw.

Obviously a collaborative effort seems like a reach given their past.

But touring? It's not ridiculous. The Police did it, and they hate each other. Van Halen functions in a similar fashion, EVH and DLR are distant off stage.

Slash can travel completely separate, have his own staff come and get him from his own dressing room every night.

Agreeing to it and getting through rehearsal are the biggest obstacles IMO. On stage, Slash and Axl are two musicians playing music. Professional performers have a way of becoming different people on stage. As most people know, Aerosmith have had a rocky 5-6 years with Steven Tyler. On stage, they're all best of buds as I saw in Vegas in August.

This tour would make so much money, the band can spend so much on transportation and staff they can insure minimal contact between Axl and Slash, and control the opportunities for tempers to flare.

Actually Slash and Duff are pretty boring too but in a good way. Izzy and Axl are the creative force but they need to be whipped into line by a solid hard rock band.

Izzy basically wanted GNR to be like his solo stuff, a lot more rock n roll and loose and really not that commercial. Not in the Nov Rain way anyway.

Axl has a tendency to go epic or go over the top lyrically. Like even on Dead Horse he has a nutcracker as an extra instrument or have lyrics like Shotgun Blues. He might have something a little more experimental like My World or excessive like Breakdown. I think having a 4x4 hard rock band to simplify shit helps round off the edges a little of Axl's excess and Izzy's obscurity.

But if you can take Izzy and Axl's songs and Slash knocks them into something more hard rock accessible it's GNR. They collectively bring a punk energy to hard rock.

• Like 2

I agree with this.

but a lot of us do

But is it really deal breaking for you? Would you not go or take interest if Izzy weren't there? I know plenty of people who didn't take interest when Slash wasn't there. Would Izzy have that same effect? I'm not so sure.

No it isn't a deal breaker but it also isn't nearly as special or cool. For me it would be the difference between just catching a local show if they came this way or going out of my way to see as many shows as possible.. It needs more than Just Axl, Slash and Duff.. This needs Izzy or Steven in there.. Or even Gilby..

Axl/Slash/Duff/Richard/Frank/Dizzy............... Just doesn't look or feel right to me..

Oh yeah, and I think Izzy Stradlin's stage presence is pretty f'n bad ass...

Axl/Slash/Duff/Richard/Frank/Dizzy............... Just doesn't look or feel right to me..

It's weird to the diehard fans, but to the more casual fans, it's all about getting Axl and Slash back on stage together. The big ticket prices will be for Axl and Slash playing the hits together. From a marketing perspective, everything beyond Axl and Slash is just a bonus.

No one does a reunion tour just because there might be a lot of money made, that's more of an incentive. Playing to a large audience, to an audience that never saw them together on one stage, that's a bigger incentive. But then they have to do a 2 plus hour show and carry it out....and then do it again. We also assume Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Matt get along great, but they're not going to tell us how they really feel about each other.

The only way they could reunite and have no pressure on them is if they just booked a private show at The Troubadour for family and friends, or Axl showed up as a surprise guest at a Kings of Chaos show as part of the encore.

it is a jimmy saville shirt. thats part of the photo shop.

the original was taken in yard sale in new york.

Since i know and remember that it's probably time that i go and get myself a life!!

:lol: Isn't that the way? Sometimes when I have immediate recall of some GN'R fact I just have to facepalm myself lol

If a "reunion" happens with this line up, then please keep Steven and Jarmo on a suicide watch.

lol funny in a sense but also scary true.. I would actually legit worry about Steven if he isn't included at all. And he really should be but.. Idk I can also kind of understand considering all the smack he does and legal implications that would chase the band.

I emailed Richard Fortus and asked if these rumors were true... his response:

4tus@richardfortusonline.com

"God, i hope so! That would be awesome"

Isn't it funny how by this point, only the Axl lunatics are against a reunion? Even Axl employees are looking forward to it.

I emailed Richard Fortus and asked if these rumors were true... his response:

4tus@richardfortusonline.com

"God, i hope so! That would be awesome"

Not a great answer if you ask me. Sounds like he hasn't heard a damn thing.

Yep, agreed. Unless he was told to keep quiet about it... but after these answers consistently, I would be doubtful of the whole thing.