Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

I emailed Richard Fortus and asked if these rumors were true... his response:

4tus@richardfortusonline.com

"God, i hope so! That would be awesome"

Not a great answer if you ask me. Sounds like he hasn't heard a damn thing.

Honestly, I don't think he can say much even if he knows something. He seemed to know something in that radio interview just going by the tone of his voice and his comment about big things in 2016. My guess is he's still included, and would love to be in a band with Slash. (who wouldn't if you're a hard rock session guitar player)

Would be insane if it happens. 14 years after he joined Guns, he'll get to be in a band with Slash. I'd like to see it, I think they'll sound good together. Both influenced by similar musicians. I can see it working out musically.

If you have Izzy writing the songs you could end up with something excellent. The problem usually arises when Axl gets his piano and collection of overdubs out. Make a little blues/acoustic record with Izzy writing 80% of the material and all will be forgiven

• Like 1

If you have Izzy writing the songs you could end up with something excellent. The problem usually arises when Axl gets his piano and collection of overdubs out. Make a little blues/acoustic record with Izzy writing 80% of the material and all will be forgiven

I agree, minus the Axl piano part. Axl on piano with Slash could be gold Jerry, gold i tell ya. Ala Estranged & November Rain.

Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 1

A true Guns N' Roses album was never 80% Izzy anyway. the balance between all the different old band members is the reason the music was so good in the first place imo. Not too much metally rock Slash, not too much sloppy Izzy, not too much Axl weeping, etc.

Edited by Rovim

im very unstoked with this projected lineup which seems like the most likely scenario

1) fortus and ferrrer bring down the entire legacy of GNR making it half ass

2) duff is already considered in so no biggie + slash ok, well

no izzy, no adler or matt is just a major fucking let down

this version of a reunion will fucking suck, its just a nuGNR version 5.2 not even worth doing it

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Read Izzy's wikipedia bio and some of his quotes/feelings on touring over the years. It's definitely possible that he's just not interesting in doing a reunion tour, either because of the potential headache, it being a longer tour than he's up for, or because it's just too big of a deal for a guy who likes to fly under the radar. If he's not involved I don't think it's because he wasn't invited.

This is, by far, the most logical line-up. Izzy and Steven are way too unpredictable for something big like this.

Furthermore, I think Richard and Slash would be a perfect Rhythm - Lead combo.

So Izzy and Steven are "unpredictable"?

That probably means that mr. W. Axl Rose is very "predictable"...

Besides, who in the world wants a band that is "predictable"?

GNR didnt become the best band ever because they were "predictable".

They became the best band ever because they could write, record and perform great, terrific music.

All these professional and dedicated (and predictable) musicians that have been playing with Axl Rose for the last decade cant do that.

The five guys can

It is not 1990 anymore.

I agree that the music scene has been pretty tame for a while, but like it or not, these are different times.

we are in 2015, the five guys are alive and everybody knows they can make music together

of course you can deny that as much as you want

of course you can say that it is impossible

of course you can choose to play safe

playing safe is hiring nice and professional and predictable, fully in-control musicians like the ones we know so well

-- bumble this, dj that, frank this, miles that, todd this etc etc

thing is

these guys (specially axl and slash) have been playing safe for years now

they made a career out of playing safe

is there any safer thing that you can do than hire a nice guy that can hit all the notes just like Celine Dion to front a band? Miles Kennedy can hit as many high notes as he wants. He sings in fucking tune. He worked hard to be where he is and by all accounts he fully deserves to have all the success that hes got. He can write musics, he can play guitar, and you dont read anything about him complaining or having problems with addictions or any of that shit. many of us would love to be in his place. he is probably such a fucking nice guy that each and every one of us would probably be happy to have him as a friend or a band mate. but he is boring. his lyrics are downright embarrassing. his voice is annoying. and he sings about fucking elephants.

now is there any safer thing you can do than hiring professional, in control, predictable musicians like dj this, frank that, bumble this, richard that? axl started in another direction -- he hired some not so in-control and not so predictable people like bucket whatever and robin whatever. but they didnt fuckin last. it was similar to what slash and duff did by hiring that creepy weiland dude. it exploded eventually. so axl chose to play really, really safe and hired these very professional and very in control and very reliable musicians that got so thrilled to be in "GNR" (the money!, the exposure!, the fun!) that they wouldnt waste any time trying to say no to axl. why ruin it all if you can say yes? everybody gets happy, right? its just a shame that these musicians, like Miles, are terribly boring (sorry for repeating myself here)

now, there is a good side, of course, to playing safe

there is a good side, of course, to have reliable, predictable and willing-to-agree-with-you people in YOUR band

#1 good thing is that Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff have basically full creative control on their bands

#2 good thing is that the professional and predictable and in-control hired band members are always happy, always willing to help, to play, to write, to hang out and to say yes. They dont create problems.

now what is the bad side of it?

we all know what the bad side is

the bad side is that after you tasted GNR

and you play with these type of people

there will always be something missing

it doesnt go all the way

it doesnt take you there

For some years, it was probably very nice for Slash, Axl, Izzy and Duff to play safe and have a healthy, controlled life

it was probably actually a big fucking relief to these guys to be able to leave all the madness behind and live a... predictable life!

thing is

now

it appears

(not sure of that, but it appears...)

that Axl

Izzy

Slash

and Duff

had enough

of safe

they are probably sick of playing safe with predictable musicians

they probably want to taste that madness called GNR again

to see if they can make GOLD out of it

even if it is just for one more time

===

and you know what?

you may like playing safe

but most of us are eagerly waiting for Guns n Roses to come back

:headbang:

You took the topic somewhere else...

My point is they are not the same guys they were 25 years ago. Slash is not a junkie and alcoholic kid fighting the demons of his parents' divorce. Duff is not an alcoholic anymore. Axl is not the same angry violent guy he was back then, etc.

Although they might still have issues (specially Axl), the quality and style of music they made back then doesn't give us any indication of the quality and style of music they would make today, because they are at a different place in life.

Who knows, maybe they could blow our brains with some amazing material, or they could release some stale crap trying to recreate something they don't have anymore, or they could release something boring, predictable and tame, like Aerosmith did after they got their shit together.

A lot of people have a really hard time understanding this, because everything related GNR is stained with nostalgia, and it makes them think that they still have it as a group... I'm afraid not, but I'm open to be surprised.

you have said it yourself

anything can happen

it can be great

of course they are not the same guys. they dont need to be the same guys to write great music. they can write slower music, who cares. they can write heavier, more mature lyrics. nobody is expecting them to write anything goes or appetite again. you got to be a fool to expect that

thing is, the five guys bring the best of each other when they write music together and/or when they collaborate on each others material

this greatness that they have WRITING MUSIC can happen again in 15 minutes if they get back together. it is that easy, ask anyone who writes music and they will tell you. the fact that you are in a different stage of your life doesnt stopyou from writing terrific music

The fact is that not ONE of the guys are have denied it, which gives me slight hope. If these rumors were false, Slash/Duff would speak up on social media. The fact that they haven't...

I've thought about that and here's the negative aspeect I came up with:

Axl - Doesn't care enough to comment

Slash - Doesn't care enough to comment

Duff - Doesn't care enough to comment

Richard - Has no idea but really hopes it's true

Frank - Has no idea but really hopes it's true

Dizzy - Has no idea but really hopes it's true and is just happy to continue getting paid to play tambourine most of the time

• Like 1

The fact is that not ONE of the guys are have denied it, which gives me slight hope. If these rumors were false, Slash/Duff would speak up on social media. The fact that they haven't...

Dizzy - Has no idea but really hopes it's true and is just happy to continue getting paid to play tambourine most of the time

is it really hard to just tweet "Reunion is not happening" though? i mean that would put a end to all of this

i gotta believe something is up with all this smoke...that or pulling off the biggest tr0ll in the history of music

Nah I think Duff especially would have shot it down by now if there was zero substance. I could see Slash and Axl both being like fuck it I'm sick of the question, but not Duff -- he's too chill. He'd be like Fortus and say something like "I'd love to work with those guys again but I'm not sure where this is coming from."

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

im very unstoked with this projected lineup which seems like the most likely scenario

this version of a reunion will fucking suck, its just a nuGNR version 5.2 not even worth doing it

I agree with most of this but I wouldn't say it isn't worth doing.. It wouldn't really feel like a Guns N' Roses reunion.. More like Guns N' Roses Lite... Having Izzy or Steven in there would make it seem more legit to me.. Even if it was just one of them. Or even Gilby to a lesser extent...

• Like 1

I just want a new album of material that features Axl on vocals.

Everybody can get paid and Chip in.

Take ten best CD2 songs.

Bring Izzy, Sorum and Adler into the studio.

Izzy, Axl, Slash and Duff can write three songs together. Adler can play drums on two songs, Sorum can play drums on one song.

That way Adler and Sorum can make a little cash. Izzy gets a bigger check. And all three are involved in the reunion.

For the FIRST show of the tour invite all Adler, Sorum, Izzy and Gilby. Each guy can play on a song or two. Again, this allows those old guys some cash, and the publicity of being part of the reunion.

Then the reported line up can tour for three months (Frank and fortus and the big three).

The band then takes a break. Writes three or four new songs - with Izzy's help. And start a world tour in summer or fall of 2017. New songs go on a greatest hits or 30fh anniversary of Appetite re release.

It's much easier to write 3-4 songs in a year. Less pressure. And fans get three new songs this year and three new songs next year.

Izzy is still involved

Adler, Sorum and Gilby also get a little boost and some cash.

Everybody wins.

Edited by Apollo

don't get all that crying and bitching. It's clear that Izzy isn't interested in touring anymore, if he wanted he would get the job (or they would play with 3 guitar players - and yes many bands do/did this with another guitar player who is not part of a band even Nirvana). So it really comes down to drummer and who cares ? Steven is a big threat to whole thing and you can't count on him, maybe they will allow him to play few songs here or there. And Matt :

- is average drummer

- wasn't orginal member

- wasn't getting on well with Axl.

I don't care about the drummer as I dislike Sorum, who is the only guy who could do this (from old Guns era)

And both Ferrer and Fortus are musically a perfect fit. Also if they are releasing any new music it will be Axl's material (with re-recorded parts by Slash, Duff) with some Slash and Duff songs added. And both Fortus and Ferrer could be familiar with that material.

don't get all that crying and bitching. It's clear that Izzy isn't interested in touring anymore, if he wanted he would get the job (or they would play with 3 guitar players - and yes many bands do/did this with another guitar player who is not part of a band even Nirvana). So it really comes down to drummer and who cares ? Steven is a big threat to whole thing and you can't count on him, maybe they will allow him to play few songs here or there. And Matt :

- is average drummer

- wasn't orginal member

I don't care about the drummer as I dislike Sorum, who is the only guy who could do this (from old Guns era)

And both Ferrer and Fortus are musically a perfect fit. Also if they are releasing any new music it will be Axl's material (with re-recorded parts by Slash, Duff) with some Slash and Duff songs added. And both Fortus and Ferrer could be familiar with that material.

Maybe they will record one of Ashba's songs. :P

I agree with most of this but I wouldn't say it isn't worth doing.. It wouldn't really feel like a Guns N' Roses reunion.. More like Guns N' Roses Lite... Having Izzy or Steven in there would make it seem more legit to me.. Even if it was just one of them. Or even Gilby to a lesser extent...

agreed, but my way of thinking is go all the way or go home

- is average drummer

- wasn't orginal member

in that case they need to somehow work adler in for some of the tour

maybe gets 1 show

anything....

and izzy, come on he should be able to get fucking motivated.... holy shit

is it really hard to just tweet "Reunion is not happening" though? i mean that would put a end to all of this

i gotta believe something is up with all this smoke...that or pulling off the biggest tr0ll in the history of music

See comments 1 through 3.

But actually Izzy hasn't been doing big tours, he obviously has the talent to have joined some big band if not GNR. He could have been in VR.

Adler hasn't been in any of Slash's projects. He is meant to be sober now but Slash and Duff don't seem to trust him.

So it's hybrid or die. Suppose could get some Illusion guys but think Axl said he wasnt interested in guys that joined after.

But still Slash might turn down the hybrid reunion anyway so...

Edited by wasted

But actually Izzy hasn't been doing big tours, he obviously has the talent to have joined some big band if not GNR. He could have been in VR.

Adler hasn't been in any of Slash's projects. He is meant to be sober now but Slash and Duff don't seem to trust him.

So it's hybrid or die. Suppose could get some Illusion guys but think Axl said he wasnt interested in guys that joined after.

Well get Gilby/Matt in then. There is nothing 'reunion' about Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Frank. It is a complete misnomer that has not even played together, least of all bonded. And to be honest there are some people who hate the whole new band and every association with that era.

Well get Gilby/Matt in then. There is nothing 'reunion' about Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Frank. It is a complete misnomer that has not even played together, least of all bonded. And to be honest there are some people who hate the whole new band and every association with that era.

Axl seemed to say that he wasnt interested in people who joined after. And there were behind the scenes problems that got ugly?

But that interview wasn't easy to decipher. Axl has seen Matt and Gilby since.

I think only a few forumers will really hate it. For most it's Slash/Duff and Axl. The promoters seem to think this is the reunion.