Axl Joining AC/DC? New pic posted on TMZ

NachoLZ

9 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

When I flew to San Fran to see them in September 2015, they sold out AT&T ballpark in 14 minutes. An entire Fn Stadium in 14 minutes. It was $150 per GA ticket and the place was a rocking mad house. I know you don't want to hear it but their fans are more hardcore than GnR's, but that's GnR's fault.

Well here in Indiana there aren't many people that would pay to see ACDC for $150 a pop in a stadium, but I know it bigger markets that's possible.  It actually makes me wonder if GnR is modeliling their current tour around what AC/DC has been doing of late.  

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Whens the last time ACDC sold out a 20,000+ stadium two nights in a row in less than an hour with tickets ranging from $80 to $350?   

Plus GnR (I'm talking re-grouped GnR not nuGNR) would not open for anyone except maybe the Stones.

AC/DC is a way bigger draw than a reunited GN'R wil be. It's tough to make hard comparisons since there's only 6 GN'R shows on sale so far, but let's give it a go. 

On this tour alone, AC/DC has done a total of nine cities where they played two consecutive stadium gigs, and all nine of those cities (18 gigs in total) were one hundred percent sold out. But, for the sake of argument, let's call it eight cities - the ninth was Coachella Festival, which GN'R is doing this year. It was a festival, so attendance doesn't necessarily reflect that artist alone. The smallest stadium of those remaining eight has a 40,000 capacity for each show (Domain Stadium in Perth), for a combined 80,000 capacity for two shows. The stadiums went all the way up to 80,000 capacity for a single show (Stade de France in Paris), or a combined 160,000 capacity. On top of that, AC/DC sold out every single European and Australian show last year except for Red Bull Ring in Zeltweg, Austria (It has a capacity of 115,000, and the attendance was 105,000). In North America, they sold out all but three shows; East Rutherford (50,000 capacity and just shy of 49,000 attendance), Quebec City (58,000 capacity and 48,000 attendance), and Montreal (46,000 capacity and 37,000 attendance). So when you round up all the stats, last year they played 55 shows and sold out 51 of those. 

So now let's look at reunited GN'R so far. Six shows announced, less the two shows at Coachella makes four shows. Two in Vegas, two in Mexico City. Vegas is sold out for both nights - 20,000 capacity per show for a combined 40,000 capacity. This is a hard comparison to make since it's a smaller venue than anything AC/DC did last year, plus it has the added bonus of being a big event; the first show with Axl, Slash, and Duff in 23 years. That alone would be enough to make it sell out at any cost. Then there's Mexico City - two nights at Foro Sol, for which capacity fluctuates, but is generally between 55,000 and 65,000. For the sake of argument let's go big and say 65,000. Night one sold out, and somewhat quickly. Night two has been on sale for what, three weeks or so now, and is not sold out yet. As far as I can tell, the tickets to Mexico City are underpriced, at least compared to the US market (About USD $128 - stack that up against the approximate USD $85 I spent on Iron Maiden tickets in Mexico City earlier this month, which is roughly 20% less than their US tickets cost). So that means a reunited GN'R is having a hard time selling more than, let's say 90,000 tickets, in the world's sixth largest metropolitan area (And for one more reference point, the largest metropolitan area AC/DC played last year was New York City, ranked 11th).

The ticket prices jumble things up even further. AC/DC has always made a point of keeping their tickets as cheap as possible - in the US, the most expensive AC/DC tickets are usually about $120 after fees in stadiums, or $150 in arenas. However lower ticket prices do not necessarily correlate with demand - bear in mind that for several years their Black Ice tour was the highest grossing tour of all time.

Like I said, it's a tough comparison to draw currently since GN'R has so few shows announced at the moment, but statistically speaking there's absolutely no denying that AC/DC is a bigger draw internationally.

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

AC/DC is a way bigger draw than a reunited GN'R wil be. It's tough to make hard comparisons since there's only 6 GN'R shows on sale so far, but let's give it a go. 

On this tour alone, AC/DC has done a total of nine cities where they played two consecutive stadium gigs, and all nine of those cities (18 gigs in total) were one hundred percent sold out. But, for the sake of argument, let's call it eight cities - the ninth was Coachella Festival, which GN'R is doing this year. It was a festival, so attendance doesn't necessarily reflect that artist alone. The smallest stadium of those remaining eight has a 40,000 capacity for each show (Domain Stadium in Perth), for a combined 80,000 capacity for two shows. The stadiums went all the way up to 80,000 capacity for a single show (Stade de France in Paris), or a combined 160,000 capacity. On top of that, AC/DC sold out every single European and Australian show last year except for Red Bull Ring in Zeltweg, Austria (It has a capacity of 115,000, and the attendance was 105,000). In North America, they sold out all but three shows; East Rutherford (50,000 capacity and just shy of 49,000 attendance), Quebec City (58,000 capacity and 48,000 attendance), and Montreal (46,000 capacity and 37,000 attendance). So when you round up all the stats, last year they played 55 shows and sold out 51 of those. 

So now let's look at reunited GN'R so far. Six shows announced, less the two shows at Coachella makes four shows. Two in Vegas, two in Mexico City. Vegas is sold out for both nights - 20,000 capacity per show for a combined 40,000 capacity. This is a hard comparison to make since it's a smaller venue than anything AC/DC did last year, plus it has the added bonus of being a big event; the first show with Axl, Slash, and Duff in 23 years. That alone would be enough to make it sell out at any cost. Then there's Mexico City - two nights at Foro Sol, for which capacity fluctuates, but is generally between 55,000 and 65,000. For the sake of argument let's go big and say 65,000. Night one sold out, and somewhat quickly. Night two has been on sale for what, three weeks or so now, and is not sold out yet. As far as I can tell, the tickets to Mexico City are underpriced, at least compared to the US market (About USD $128 - stack that up against the approximate USD $85 I spent on Iron Maiden tickets in Mexico City earlier this month, which is roughly 20% less than their US tickets cost). So that means a reunited GN'R is having a hard time selling more than, let's say 90,000 tickets, in the world's sixth largest metropolitan area (And for one more reference point, the largest metropolitan area AC/DC played last year was New York City, ranked 11th).

The ticket prices jumble things up even further. AC/DC has always made a point of keeping their tickets as cheap as possible - in the US, the most expensive AC/DC tickets are usually about $120 after fees in stadiums, or $150 in arenas. However lower ticket prices do not necessarily correlate with demand - bear in mind that for several years their Black Ice tour was the highest grossing tour of all time.

Like I said, it's a tough comparison to draw currently since GN'R has so few shows announced at the moment, but statistically speaking there's absolutely no denying that AC/DC is a bigger draw internationally.

I don't disagree with any of that....other than as you noted it's not a fair comparison at this point as GnR is now a fairly unknown commodity.   and there is no real data on what they are going to be able to draw, only speculation.   

34 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I agree it's a hard to compare with what we've got so far.

I think GN'R will do quite well though, but it remains to be seen.

As far as the 2nd night of Mexico City, it was about 90% sold out within the first day or two. Less than 1000 tickets remain now, so about 98-99% sold out.

If we go with 60,000 in Mexico, that's around 120,000 people for the two nights there.

IF the Coachella/Vegas shows and reunited trio hadn't been announced this year, this rumor would have made a lot of sense to me. Axl hadn't done anything with NUGnR in over a year, etc. and IMHO he would probably take the job very seriously and do his absolute best to be a good replacement, especially since AC/DC seems to be a band he likes a lot.

But with things as they are, this is weird, unless Vegas/Coachella really are THE only shows GnR is doing. But we've already seemed to see signs that they really were looking at taking the ASD lineup on a larger tour, so that doesn't make sense.  Wouldn't he want to save his voice for anything GnR might do this year?

Either this is a complete red herring or I am thinking that it somehow got convoluted, as rumors so often do...someone else mentioned the possibility of AC/DC using several singers. Maybe Axl's doing a show or two?

Edited by stella

5 minutes ago, stella said:

IF the Coachella/Vegas shows and reunited trio hadn't been announced this year, this rumor would have made a lot of sense to me. Axl hadn't done anything with NUGnR in over a year, etc. and IMHO he would probably take the job very seriously and do his absolute best to be a good replacement, especially since AC/DC seems to be a band he likes a lot.

But with things as they are, this is weird, unless Vegas/Coachella really are THE only shows GnR is doing. But we've already seemed to see signs that they really were looking at taking the ASD lineup on a larger tour, so that doesn't make sense.  Wouldn't he want to save his voice for anything GnR might do this year?

Either this is a complete red herring or I am thinking that it somehow got convoluted, as rumors so often do...someone else mentioned the possibility of AC/DC using several singers. Maybe Axl's doing a show or two?

We don't know when AC/DC will reschedule the remaining US shows to. It might be next year for all we know.

I still don't see it happening. BUT... If GNR does the first leg of their tour this summer/early fall, then they could take like a month off for Axl to finish the 10 AC/DC shows, then resume the next leg of the GNR tour. If Axl doesn't fuck it up and performs well, it'd be huge press for him and GNR too. It'd be like the weirdest, most perfect storm for Axl's popularity to sky rocket. Hmm...

Still tho, I don't see it happening.

Just now, BadApples87 said:

My guess is that Axl is going to do A show with them.  They will probably have a guest every night.

If he is doing the whole AC/DC tour, then it looks like a full scale GNR tour ain't gonna happen.  Logistics, etc.

I'm not advocating for it to happen, but 10 shows isn't more than a month.

1 minute ago, BadApples87 said:

My guess is that Axl is going to do A show with them.  They will probably have a guest every night.

If he is doing the whole AC/DC tour, then it looks like a full scale GNR tour ain't gonna happen.  Logistics, etc.

The "whole" tour isn't a particularly large commitment - a total of 22 shows. Three weeks in North America, and four weeks in Europe. Relatively small commitment.

I don't know why I'm even arguing points for why this could be feasible though, I think it's 100% bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Spirit said:

We don't know when AC/DC will reschedule the remaining US shows to. It might be next year for all we know.

That's true, but if that's the case it would be bizarre to announce anything about a lineup now. Especially since the GnR gigs are coming right up and Axl and the others would ostensibly want the focus on that.

3 minutes ago, stella said:

That's true, but if that's the case it would be bizarre to announce anything about a lineup now. Especially since the GnR gigs are coming right up and Axl and the others would ostensibly want the focus on that.

Nothing's been announced so far. If Axl's indeed doing this, and it's still a relative long time to go, they don't have to say anything for months.

Personally I don't know what to think of the whole ordeal. I think anything can happen at this point (after Slash rejoined GN'R...haha).