"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

" the Night House"  very confusing. Still not sure what was actually happening? If anyone has seen this movie, please explain it to me. lol

"Venom: There will be carnage" I thought this movie was excellent. Maybe even better than the original. This sequel was awesome. I think I might have to see Spiderman: No way home, since after the first credits, it looked like Venom was effected by what Spiderman did?

Anyway, Tom Hardy was awesome and he wrote the story. Great.

19 hours ago, Sosso said:

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

How was it? Love the first one. the second one confused me. lol But I do like these movies.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

It was my first viewing, really enjoyed it. Fun action movie but also has a lot of heart and is delivered in quite a refreshingly unpretentious way. Shocked it's a Michael Bay film tbh. Solid cast with nice chemistry too.

Oh it's easily his best film by a mile. Think I saw it at the movies when it came out in 96 but I could be mistaken. Still got a copy of the DVD that I bought from the gift shop in Alcatraz too. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

It was my first viewing, really enjoyed it. Fun action movie but also has a lot of heart and is delivered in quite a refreshingly unpretentious way. Shocked it's a Michael Bay film tbh. Solid cast with nice chemistry too.

There's a video on YouTube that goes waaaay in depth about how it's actually the last Connery Bond movie. Convinced me.

Guilty By Suspicion (1991) (about the Hollywood blacklist)

I feel like there could be a great film here, but it needed to be more hard-edged. The DeNiro character should have been an actual communist rather than someone falsely accused. His pleas that he isn't one and only attended a few meetings is pure groveling. It undermines the film and alludes that being a communist was wrong but that the HUAC simply went too far

There is also another little slight where the only self-admitted communist (played by Martin Scorsese!) just packs up and leaves the country instead of standing his ground.

Apparently the original screenplay written by actual blacklisted screenwriter Abraham Polonsky did have the DeNiro character as a communist but it was re-written by director Irwin Winkler, which Polonsky strongly objected to and removed his name from the project. I can understand why.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) 👍

One of the greatest behind-the-scenes documentaries about one of the greatest films of all time. Apocalypse Now had every chance to be Coppola's Heaven's Gate but the bastard pulled it off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) 👍

One of the greatest behind-the-scenes documentaries about one of the greatest films of all time. Apocalypse Now had every chance to be Coppola's Heaven's Gate but the bastard pulled it off.

Poor Michael Cimino, from a genius to a pariah in the span of two years. The Deer Hunter is great and Heaven's Gate isn't as bad as most think.  But it did effectively end his career and damn near sank the entire studio.

Edited by lame ass security

HBO's George Carlin special Part 1

Part 2 is on tonight.

The man was a genius. My mom saw him in 1973 in NYC doing the 7 words you can't say on tv. 

His last HBO special was amazing. Talking about AIDS and religion was on the money. He is very much missed.

If he was alive today with all the things going on in our world today he would have enough material to last forever.

So much he said in the 70's and beyond is unfortunately still here today and has gotten worse.

22 hours ago, ssiscool said:

Am watching Stonehearst Asylum. The movie is based on short story written in 1844 by Edgar Allan Poe, "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether". One line always gets my attention:

Was this with Kate Beckensale? If so this movie was awesome, but I knew what was going on from the get go! Still a good movie  didn't know it was based on Poe's work. This makes it even cooler.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:24 AM, Oldest Goat said:

The Stepford Wives (1975)

5/5

I've always admired this film. It's great when there's a worthwhile message that is masterfully communicated instead of clumsily shoehorned or beating you over the head. It 100% achieves its goal of rightfully getting you on the clearly feminist side and makes you hate their oppressors to the extent of like okay you know what fucking kill those cunts if you have to. Lmao.

did you see the remake? It was okey. I hated these movies because of how the men wanted their women to be submissive. Such bullshit.

2 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Was this with Kate Beckensale? If so this movie was awesome, but I knew what was going on from the get go! Still a good movie  didn't know it was based on Poe's work. This makes it even cooler.

Yep and Micheal Caine. it's a great film