07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

14 minutes ago, DanielCT said:

My fiancé and I thought about trying to head around the back of the Apollo to catch the guys when they came out, but the ebayers/dealers in NYC are just brutal, take no prisoners. Not worth it. The night was pretty great even without that. 

Agreed, I tried to go around back in 2012 when Springsteen played there and there was an unreal amount of eBayers and assholes mauling the band. They really ruin it for average fans looking to just get an autograph. 

That video of Axl leaving is painful to watch, couldn't even finish it.

9 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Just catching up on all of this now. I managed to get in and the show rocked my fucking balls off. I also got offered a free ticket to Maiden at Barclays last night, so had no time to breathe between the two.

I showed up to The Apollo at 3:00pm and ran the drop line (which, after talking with Sirius staff, reeeeeally helped all of us get in). Huge props to @DanielCT and his fiance for showing up at 5:00am and starting to number everybody. They were very rightly the first ones to get in and their dedication was outstanding. Forget where they came from, but I know they got up at 1:00am. When I went to get a beer I ran into a dude who was #126 on the line so my guess is about 150 people got in. Sirius staff was strict but generous.

Some personal highlights:

- Me and a buddy ended up row 6, dead center of the orchestra (ironically, it's about where I snuck up to for the Springsteen show at The Apollo a few years ago).

- Speaking of Bruce at The Apollo, waiting in line with me was a dude I met in that drop line back in 2012. Was great to catch up.

- Sofia Vergara and her husband were right behind me. No idea who they were but her husband rocked out way hard to obscure songs and caught Axl's mic. and he graciously let me touch it.

- Patrick Wilson was immediately next to me and caught Axl's whistle. 

- I can barely tell you how Axl sounded because it was a loud and intense performance inside and wasn't thinking about that.

- I thought for sure we'd be getting a two hour show at most, but was floored with the 3:20 length.

- Never in my life did I expect to see Axl & Slash in the same room together, let alone one that holds 1500 people. Mindblowing.

- I thought that the slight tempo change at the end of "Nightrain" might be because of there's a curfew in NYC that you can't play past. GNR, of course, blew right by that though.

- I got interviewed on Sirius radio outside and I have no idea where that audio ended up but would love to hear it.

- Honestly, this was the coolest GNR show I've been too. Intimate venue, the band was fucking killer, everyone was in good spirits, and they played for fucking ever.

- I never expected anything AFD30 related, so eh. 

- I got in right before McBob came on, I missed the free shirts, but got a free poster (and beer!). If anybody's got an extra shirt, let me know.

- "This I Love" is one of the only songs I do not like by GNR, but Axl's fucking voice was awesome and Slash kills the solo each time, so consider me a changed man. 

- A lot of hardcore fans in the place kept the energy high.

- I took one picture that came out like shit, but my friend next to me got this one. 

All in all, an outstanding fucking night at The Apollo. So glad I bailed on work and went.

20232370_10155638247220337_2394899852171

I recorded the pre show mate they were talking to fans

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charliehoodger said:

I know this BETTER topic is beat to death but can we ALL agree that this is by far the BEST version of that song we've ever heard lol. He killed it on CD, Better to be totally honest. Don't remember much about Sorry because I was running on fumes because it was like 1/130 when I was listening.

No, the best soundboard of better is by far 2006 RIM. And i've seen some great performances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck, I love Better from this show. When did Fortus start doing a solo after the main Slash solo? Its awesome

If that had Rose's 2006 vocals, that would be the definitive version - hands down. Slash made it much more palpable.

• Like 3

Ill put the pre-show download link in the download section for anyone who wants it. 

I missed about 5 mins of the start and in between part 1 and 2 I pause it and only missed part of Back Of Bitch and You're Crazy

7 hours ago, vail2004 said:

in addition to sofia V and that Joe dude who were mentioned

Can we please stop calling him that Joe dude as if he was some appendix of his wife? Are there no True Blood fans on here?

and_image_1340133041.jpg

:drool:

Show some respect! :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Pretty amazing stuff for 3/5 of the band in 2017..

man, i cant get used to the speed

at this point the speed is worse than axl voice

(he is actually sounding good on a lot of songs and he actually seems to be into some of them like the seeker, the video you posted looks pretty great)

back to the speed thing... to make sure i am not going nuts, i made a quick (no pun intended) youtube comparison with the milton keynes 1993 version

starting on the moment axl starts whistling up to the moment slash starts soloing

this 2017 version is like TWENTY-PLUS SECONDS FASTER (!)

i have no idea how can they play the song like that, this is complete utter nonsense, it feels rushed and wrong

it drastically changes (for the worse!) any "mood" that the song used to have!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stro said:

The show sounded good and pretty consistent with Axl performances in the past 6 years with GNR. People expecting more, especially on a site like this where most people listen to at least a song or two from every show, is ridiculous. Some songs were really good, and some were weak (but not really weak) from a vocal perspective, but the rest of the band made up for it. If you aren't used to Axl's voice at this point I don't know what to tell you. The idea that his voice or the set list are still constant points of discussion is ridiculous. GNR in all formations has been pretty static on set lists since 2002. Slash with MKC had literally played the exact same set list as the Roxy album when I saw them in 2015. It's normal for dudes to settle into a set list and stick to it, even if they didn't do that 25 years ago. 

If you're on this site and are  complaining about the Apollo show, you're never, ever going to be happy, because it is 100% accurate to 2016-2017 GNR and you should have known that before you even listened to the show. At this point you should probably just stop checking boards and watching Periscopes/Youtubes of shows because you for sure know what it's going to be and sound like. To get mad or disappointed at this point is just being spoiled and petulant. 

I agree. Personally I can't stop watching the videos and listening to the recording from the show. I think it was great.

7 hours ago, steelers8682 said:

Not sure if we are allowed to offer stuff on here, but I have an extra of both of the shirts (large) and the poster from the Apollo show that are up for grabs. Let me know. 

One of the guys who attended the show missed out on getting a shirt, he posted about it earlier in the thread and asked if anyone had a spare. It might have been @BangoSkank or if not he may remember who it was.

10 hours ago, melina i said:

yeah it sucks-- wtf are his posse paid to do:shrugs: nobody's looking out for him here, he leans on a street lamp or something and nobody's doing anything

Also I hate to mention this name,was this Sasha- the brunette chick- in one of of the cars

You will never see something like what happened to Axl in this video happen to Slash and duff. Their guys are paid PROFESSIONALS 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 2