09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

The only way forward is a new album of bitchin hard rock in Axl's lower registers with the occasional high rasp. Even some AC/DC-esque songs that he's confident he can sing a la Out Ta Get Me.

Then tour the new album with selective cuts from the back catalogue.

Time to finally put Coma, YCBM, Jungle at al to bed. It's a young man's game singing an entire setlist of such songs.

An album full of songs like ITs So Easy, DTJ would still be cool - and at least they'd sound consistently good live

Edited by LA_0013
  • Like 2

I think the answer is fairly obvious really: he doesn't rehearse for Guns N' Roses. He rehearsed for AC/DC and was stellar, either because DC insist upon rehearsals, or to make a good impression with the Youngs. GN'R is his ship and he is allowed to be lazy if he wants to be. The result is the GN'R vocal performances.

Has anyone read that interview with Brain about Rio 3? The band had never rehearsed with Axl before the show.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dean said:

As much as I appreciate that Mick is still going strong, there is a big difference in singing Stones songs and GN'R.

Mick is a very good singer. He wasn't blessed with a wide range, but it's impressive how he's still doing justice to all of those tunes he recorded in his 20's etc.

Axl on the other hand could sing a song like Start Me Up no problem. He can sing a song like Back In Black with relative ease, but it's in between those that causes confusion for me. I wonder what happened in the down time from December 2010 and October 2011. Axl must have done a lot of harm to his vocal chords for him to take a totally different approach to singing, or at least been told as such. They started playing mostly over 3 hours and people started accusing him of going through the motions and what not and year by year there seemed to be something else mental that would happen. From Rio, to Bridge School to Bowling Alley's. He set the bar so high for himself in his younger years that he's stuck in the middle of trying to look after his voice and put on a great show. I've never seen any celebrity or any casual fan that has attended a show slate Axl for his voice. So maybe he thinks that it's good enough for the audience?

Fuck knows.

But it's a travesty that he doesn't feel the need to go all out when the world is watching. Because he's more than capable and he, for me at the very least, has showed in the last year that no one out there can touch him for the shows he put on. Stuff like this, he's just selling himself short while his bank balance still sky rockets!

I'm not sure if the world was really watching. The only Rock in Rio that I remember being heavily promoted and broadcasted here in the States was Rock in Rio II. Other than that, I don't think anyone cares anymore. I'm not sure how Europe or Asia feels about it nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, this is what I think too.  For years now he's gotten by on little to no prep and I just think at this stage, and at his age, he can't afford to do that anymore.  If he wants to keep on touring, he'll have to change his approach: apply techniques learned from vocal coach, spend some time rehearsing and/or sound checking with the band, vocal warm ups, get himself match fit.  If he wants to keep running around and singing at the same time, he'll have to do something to increase his stamina.  Some singers actually practise singing while running on a treadmill.  

Based on what Axl has said on his voice, he actually does a lot of preparation. It takes him about an hour to warm up and an hour to cool down after. He does vocal excercises to stay fresh. 

The telling thing came when he said he brought along his vocal coach he hadn't worked with in 20 years for the AC/DC shows to make sure he was doing everything right. That vocal coach stuck by him for every show, but Axl didn't feel the need to use him for the gnr gigs. I think that's where we are seeing the biggest differences. Axl needs to work with him to get the best of his voice in the safest manner for gnr. He's so stuck in his ways of singing the music for gnr that we know exactly what lines he can't sing and can sing. We know he's going to Mickey this part and sound fine here. He's consistent. If he were more unpredictable I'd say his voice is blown. But a singer that consistent is doing it on purpose. 

• Like 1

Next time when on broadcasted show like this and Axl going disaster, they should do a collective fucks up, one by one, that's gonna shift the blame from Axl Rose disaster to Guns N Roses disaster. 

That'll do bad on media, but that's a real friendship and real Rock N Roll. 

Imagine it'll be fucking glorious too see Dizzy stumble in the middle of Estranged piano solo. 

Another thing to look at about Axl using his Mickey voice as a conscious effort is they removed OTGM (a rasp song) and replaced it with UTLH/Yesterdays/and My Michelle (all clean songs) so we got 3 songs in place of 1 but the trade off is crappy vocals.

you look at I Feel Good (rasp song with high screams) it only lasted 2 shows. 

There has been an effort to limit Axl's vocal strain. And allow him to sustain or rest his voice 

9 hours ago, marlon_brando said:

Compared to Aerosmith it was embarassing...

they knocked it out of the park. notice how well tuned the band is. as that is not enough, they're looking like million bucks, abs an' all... and as that is not enough - they had that cool off-shore wind... makes it all look like a damn video..

certainly Izzy casted a spell on them back in 2012...

• Like 1

I find it intresting that there is such a big melt down over Axls voice in this thread, I really don't find his voice any worse than everything following the first North American dates, it seemed to deteriorate (IMO) from there on. What I do find disappointing is they kept to the same format, I havn't seen any full shows for a couple of months but even I could predict most of the play list, it's such a shame they didn't decide to switch things up a little and throw in a couple of deep cuts. Yes I know they are playing to the audience and not those at home following multiple shows through social media, but a little surprise here and there from thier own catalogue, I believe goes to show that thier putting some thoughts and having fun with their performance and I would have thought RIR would be the place to show it. :shrugs:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I find it intresting that there is such a big melt down over Axls voice in this thread, I really don't find his voice any worse than everything following the first North American dates, it seemed to deteriorate (IMO) from there on. What I do find disappointing is they kept to the same format, I havn't seen any full shows for a couple of months but even I could predict most of the play list, it's such a shame they didn't decide to switch things up a little and throw in a couple of deep cuts. Yes I know they are playing to the audience and not those at home following multiple shows through social media, but a little surprise here and there from thier own catalogue, I believe goes to show that thier putting some thoughts and having fun with their performance and I would have thought RIR would be the place to show it. :shrugs:

Vocal performance is way more important than the 25 song setlist imo 

that setlist is excellent. The long intros long solos are buzz kills though 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

they knocked it out of the park. notice how well tuned the band is. as that is not enough, they're looking like million bucks, abs an' all... and as that is not enough - they had that cool off-shore wind... makes it all look like a damn video..

I thought the whole band was off (Guns - for clarification.) My own personal belief is that this is the weakest incarnation of the band that Slash and Duff have ever been a part of.

Frank just can't keep those tempos tight - he's a little too flimsy. They feel disjointed and all over the place sometimes.

Makes you appreciate how tight they were by '93 considering the additions of Matt and Gilby.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

Haven't watched Aerosmith's performance yet, just checked out a bit from your post - wow.  They sound amazing.  The setlist is a bit shit, but they still sound great.  ST sounds and looks incredible.  Would've been an awesome show. 

Edit: oops, don't know what happened to the actual Aerosmith vid??? Anyway, there's Izzy. :lol:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

I just went and had another listen to Double Talkin' Jive from last night.  Axl sounds incredible - the only time of the night when he does, I think.  He even nails 'Liiiies'.  You close your eyes, especially when he's saying his bit about 'no more patience man, the fuck I'm saying' etc... and it sounds like 91.  This is the style of music Guns should be thinking about putting out (yes, i'm still believing!) that will suit Axl better.  For future music, he should go into this kind of register, with occasional rasp/screech.

• Like 1

Watched this with a friend of mine. She's 21, only knew a handful of songs (Sweet Child, Paradise City etc), had never seen a full Guns concert before. It turned out to not be the best show to properly introduce her to the band. We both thought that Axl seemed unwell. There was definitely something off. Still though, she enjoyed the show, and the encore was great, and she came away a budding Slash fan. :D She said she'd definitely watch them again and would like to attend a concert in person. So, whilst someone new to the band picked up on Axl not being at his best, they're still good enough to make an impression.

I personally feel like the songs mostly sung in Axl's lower register work well for him at the moment. Sorry, Patience, Don't Cry, those were all great. YCBM, Yesterdays etc, not so much. But I still sat up until past 8 in the morning watching them, and GN'R is the only band in the world I'd do that for.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Muddy said:

I've gotten used to Axl's voice , he's in his 50's had a persons body changes over time. If he could sing strong and raspy every night I think he would , I don't think it's a matter of conditioning. I accept it for what it is.

the band on the other hand is really getting weak. VR was amazing live. SKMC was tight and had groove . hybrid GNR is loose, weak and disjointed which is sad because those guys were very tight and a force to be wreckoned with for a long time. Franks drumming certainly doesn't help matters much , he fucks up simple drum beats and plays them all his own.

Exactly when anyone gets older your voices change. Some singers still can do what they did in their 20's. others can't I still feel Axl gives all he can and I still love hearing him and watching him perform. Obviously his fans feel that way too.

Get over it and enjoy the show.

38 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

I thought the whole band was off (Guns - for clarification.) My own personal belief is that this is the weakest incarnation of the band that Slash and Duff have ever been a part of.

Frank just can't keep those tempos tight - he's a little too flimsy. They feel disjointed and all over the place sometimes.

Makes you appreciate how tight they were by '93 considering the additions of Matt and Gilby.

Bring Brain back

And Pitman. 

Edited by Sosso

9 minutes ago, victor.vFo said:

Just woke up from the show.

As happy as I am to see Axl/Slash/Duff live again, they could make a few changes that would make the experience much better. Axl's voice didn't seem so bad live, so it didn't bothered me so much, as other things did.

First of all, they could adapt the show to the festival. They have to realize that most people there were standing and walking for like 10 hours and therefore play a shorter set. Everyone close to me was totally without energy by the middle of the concert, I was singing and dancing to all the songs, but all parts of my body were in pain, and songs like Coma (wich I love, but is too long and the final part was just a lot of noise live) Sorry, The Seeker, the other cover that I forgot the name could be easily dropped, as people were just standing and looking and waiting for them to finish.

Another thing that bothers me is they extending the end of the songs, instead of just finishing the song and letting the crowd applaud and enjoy the moment, they keep playing and shredding and drumming for like one minute at the end of every song, and again, people just stare and wait for it to end, killing the response from the crowd to the songs.

Slash solos, too many and too long, again 99% of people just staring at each other and waiting for it to finish. I wish he just made a quick solo in the middle of Rocket Queen and then Godfather, I think everyone would love that.
And the worst part was that he didn't seem focused. He made a mistake on SCOM intro and in most of his iconic solos he was just shredding (last Estranged solo as an example), that was especially disapoiting to me, since I am such a huge fan of his.

All that being done the set could be reduced to like 2 hours or so and made the show much more dynamic. This is MY opinion but for what I could see almost everyone (if not everyone) close to me would agree.

Sorry for any english mistakes, since it's not my main language.

Great post.  :thumbsup:Thanks for the insight into crowd vibe.  It's a shame such useful suggestions will go unnoticed by Axl and co. because I don't think this applies to just RIR, but the tour in general.  I'm positive both band and crowd (and Axl!) would benefit from a slightly shorter, more dynamic setlist.