09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

8 minutes ago, bjasmund said:

I can't judge the show unless I was there. I've been to several this year that were amazing. Vocals on point and Axl sounded insanely good. Then I watch videos that are posted of the show I was at and it's nothing like it sounded in person.  

That's cause people singing along/cheering will alter how axl sounds. Sweet child sounds awesome when 20000 people are singing it to

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It was awful.  Slash can't even save him at this point. It's a totally different person up there now .Not just in voice, but the entire stage presence. 

At this point, replacing Axl with any singer would be a major improvement. 

I've only seen 3 songs from the show so I'll watch more later. 

If it is as bad as everyone is saying I just don't understand. I was really impressed with his stage presence and voice just a year ago on the shows I saw in the USA. I also saw an Axl/DC show and although his stage presence was more reserved there, he obviously sounded great. 

Its just such a far cry from now. I thought he was using a vocal coach and all that

29 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Translation (via Google):

Guns N 'Roses returned to the Rock in Rio closest to that band that in 1991 passed like a hurricane in the City of the Rock. The return of Slash and Duff McKagan, a meeting that even the fans had already given up one day to see again, finally happened and made a call, but more difficult than making peace with the old comrades was to find Axl's voice onstage.

On Saturday night (24), the singer changed clothes and struggled to run from one side to the other as he did in the old days. The pose is indeed the same, the little wisps...

With a flawed voice, he made a point of singing in falsetto, tune up to try to reach higher grades and turned good songs like "Estranged" and "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney) into a somewhat painful experience. The whistle at the beginning of "Civil War" was at least more attuned.

With a complete set - to far too many, there were 30 songs - the City of Rock crowd did not complain and followed the show with "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone" and "Welcome to the Jungle" in the sequel, but it was only singing the songs from the last album, "Chinese Democracy", for the public to cool down. In "Better", for example, there was an awkward silence.

Neither "Black Hole Sun", a tribute to Chris Cornell, Soundgarden singer found dead this year, passed unharned. After nearly three hours onstage, Axl hit singles versions of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "The Seeker" by The Who (who had performed hours earlier on the same stage) serious.

The band, however, compensated with energy and weight in high decibals. Slash mainly. In shape, the guitarist shone on the solos and only lacked to sing in "Rocket Queen".

It was a relief when Duff McKagan took over the microphone to sing "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory", cover of Johnny Thunders, pinch of the disc "The Spaghetti Incident?", the last one released by the best known formation. The chemistry among the ancients was felt early on and made it worth the three and a half hours of show. 

In the face of the bad fame that Guns N' Roses fed in the golden age, what was seen in Rock in Rio was a somewhat straightforward version. No delays, polemics and confusions in hotels, the band went up on time, was friendly and delivered a powerful show, but as for the voice, missed the era.

Axl's voice was also one of Twitter's most talked about subjects during the show's broadcast.

Edited by TheSeeker

4 minutes ago, Rickodez said:

Axl fucking killed it, what an amazing concert, the whole band was amazing, at this point is clear some people are just internet trolls, fuck the haters.

And the 2011 disaster was the last time my sister saw a GnR concert, she hated it like any sane person, she doesn't follow much music news, so 2011 was still fresh in her mind and fear, lol... she loved this 2017 RiR concert, so fucking good, we saw on tv by the way, even yesterdays sounded good, i ran to the bathroom thinking Axl would fuck this up be he didn't, fucking awesome. One of the greatest moments of this year to me, great concert, my sister was happy, coudn't be better. :headbang::axl92::headbang:

Glad you had a good time. 

Unfortunately, the reality is that it was a train wreck. 

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Did the other stream options cut out on Coma too? or just the Globo? Cause ya know, I'm dying to see the complete Coma ;)
in all seriousness, it had it's moments, I definitely didn't want to completely turn off at any point like in 2011...but 

it's a shame it was a peak NITL gig since it was the first full pro shot...I hope they do some festivals next year or the year after

and we get a better one...hopefully...there's always hope !

As average as these pro shots can be, there's always a few things to take away...

Certainly enjoy "Dont Cry" more than I have for a while tonight...

I watched using NordVPN.

The stream would hiccup every once in a while.

However, I think that was on the Globo side.

The HDTV 1080p torrent is online!

It's nearly 27GB, but should blow the webcast away!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=601676

• Like 1

Without delay and with a long show, Guns N 'Roses make peace with Rock in Rio

Taking on the stage after The Who, considered one of the greatest live bands in history, is a task for the few. Guns N 'Roses, three-fifths of his classic lineup, went through the risky undertaking and did well. The fact is that the love affair between the band and the Brazilian public comes from afar and remains strong. So much so that a crowd again squeezed to see them, although the band has been here for less than a year playing a repertoire very similar to today.

The excitement in any way is justified, not only by the chance to see Slash and Duff McKagan back in the group, but also by Axl with redoubled animation and voice in good shape - even though his timbre has changed in relation to what got used to listening to the records.

Today's show also marked Guns' reunion with the festival - the same that brought the group to Brazil for the first time in 1991. Relations shuddered after a monumental backlash from Axl in the 2011 edition of the event, Roberto Medina swear who would never work with the band again. As promises exist to be disregarded, the entrepreneur has gone back. But it is not denied that the singer was very professional, and punctual, this time. Good thing because it was not so the band would only have left the stage already with the day.

Punctuality on the other hand did not give the audience much chance to catch their breath after the Who. And so, just minutes after the previous show, the crowd was already jumping again to "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone" and "Welcome To The Jungle" - this, incidentally, started a bit misplaced, but soon it got in the way.

What really surprises is the epic character of the show. More than three hours long, which puts them in the same Bruce Springsteen, perhaps the most notorious "stage marathoner" on the planet, the band parades hits, less obvious songs and pay homage - Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Misfits, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, AC / DC, Soundgarden and Glen Campbell were among those recalled.

Unfortunately, the meeting between Guns and Who did not materialize. The cover of The Seeker was presented, but without the presence of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend. But that in the end was a mere detail in a spectacle that in fact deserved the title of great and that was closed, as is tradition with the always powerful "Paradise City".

https://www.vagalume.com.br/news/2017/09/24/sem-atrasos-e-com-set-longo-guns-n-roses-fazem-as-pazes-com-o-rock-in-rio.html

• Like 1

I'd have paid good money for this edition of Rock In Rio 10 years ago. Steven Tyler wasn't hoarse back then, Jon Bon Jovi could still sing and Axl's voice resembled a bit of the good old days. What you get now is Aerosmith playing just 17 songs, Bon Jovi doing a 2 hour set with at least an hour of songs no one cares for and a reunited GnR with a singer who sounds like Mickey Mouse. It boggles the mind how anyone, really anyone, could think either Bon Jovi or GnR was any good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Does anybody know what the piece of music was after the Looney Tunes bit but before It's So Easy was?

It sounded similar to Silkworms.

It's from The Equalizer

I noticed that the intro of Rocket Queen is similar to Riad. Those guitar chords before the drum part

Edited by Sosso

Axl had his good moments last night, for sure.  Double Talkin' Jive was an absolute highlight both from the band and from Axl.  Won the night for me.  Even on Brownstone and Better, there are parts of those songs where he sounds nothing short of amazing.  Then come the parts of those songs where he sounds nothing short of terrible.  

Poor Axl.  He didn't half create a rod for his own back when he first started out.  He helped write these incredible songs to accompany an incredible one-of-a-kind voice, with a very specific pitch and tone that only he could pull off - no one else.  Most of Guns' songs were never easy to sing - young Axl just made it look easy.  

What I cannot fathom, is why Axl doesn't work with the band to make some much needed key changes, tinker with the arrangements of some of the songs to better suit his 2017 voice.  It could totally work.  He's mentioned before about wanting to preserve his voice and the need for caution when singing, so he's obviously aware of the risk he's taking here.   Isn't it logical to make changes to the way the songs are sung?  

4 minutes ago, Muddy said:

I've gotten used to Axl's voice , he's in his 50's had a persons body changes over time. If he could sing strong and raspy every night I think he would , I don't think it's a matter of conditioning. I accept it for what it is.

the band on the other hand is really getting weak. VR was amazing live. SKMC was tight and had groove . hybrid GNR is loose, weak and disjointed which is sad because those guys were very tight and a force to be wreckoned with for a long time. Franks drumming certainly doesn't help matters much , he fucks up simple drum beats and plays them all his own.

Band getting weak? :D Did we watch the same concert? Band is on fire!

5 minutes ago, Muddy said:

I've gotten used to Axl's voice , he's in his 50's had a persons body changes over time. If he could sing strong and raspy every night I think he would , I don't think it's a matter of conditioning. I accept it for what it is.

the band on the other hand is really getting weak. VR was amazing live. SKMC was tight and had groove . hybrid GNR is loose, weak and disjointed which is sad because those guys were very tight and a force to be wreckoned with for a long time. Franks drumming certainly doesn't help matters much , he fucks up simple drum beats and plays them all his own.

Wow, I thought the exact opposite.  Why do you think the band are sounding weak?  Any examples?