09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

16 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

There's a Mickey Mouse drawing hanged on Axl mic stand can be seen on Fernie instastories. I think the band fully acknowledges this.

Hence the giant middle finger, no fucks given, and SHIT t-shirt used by the band,  it was clear message that they know and didn't care about it.

Well that at least is showing some of the old GNR spirit.   If they don't give a fuck...can't argue with that.  All this venting on the internet is useless in the face of that.  I think I like them again. lol

15 minutes ago, Mark1989 said:

How can anyone say this was even half decent. I feel sorry for Axl singing GnR songs, he looks to be clearly struggling allot. Its the total opposite when he sang I feel good and HTH with Billy Joel, which imo was better than half of the times he did it with ACDC. He still has the voice but seems to totally forgot or unable to adapt to singing GnR songs at his age. They should have done RIR 16 and kicked off the tour that way. Axl needs a long rest. Unless hes just totally bored and preserving his voice , That wouldn't come as much of a shock.

Axl can turn it on when he wants, but it's obvious that playing for 80-100,000 people doesn't really get his motor going. I haven't heard Axl nail a gnr performance in years. 

I think he's bored, but I also think that his range has decreased and needs to adapt his vocal style or change the key to some of the songs he's struggling most with. 

I know why some people look past performances like this, it's the "i'd prefer to have Axl out there like this, than to have nothing at all" but to me that's nuts, I love GNR but when I listen to them these days, more often than not I have to turn off the performance or lower the volume so nobody else will hear it... it's not all the time obviously, but I'd find it incredibly difficult to show someone a full concert that Axl absolutely nails without going "mickey". And when you compare this performance to Aerosmith it makes GNR look like a joke band. And I seen someone saying at least he's not as bad as Jon Bon Jovi, well... no! At least Jon knows his limits, he doesn't go for the 80s high notes (leaving it to the other members), but he sings with power and is consistent night to night because he's a professional and puts a lot of work into a Bon Jovi show. *Not a Bon Jovi fan BTW, besides the greatest hits*

Edited by Tom2112

Seems like there's a heck of a lot more whiners on this forum than their used to be. I've been coming here since around 1998 and the negativity has just gotten progressively worse as the years have gone by. Axl's only human folks and in his fifties. Cut the dude some slack. He's not a God...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:
5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl can turn it on when he wants, but it's obvious that playing for 80-100,000 people doesn't really get his motor going. I haven't heard Axl nail a gnr performance in years. 

I think he's bored, but I also think that his range has decreased and needs to adapt his vocal style or change the key to some of the songs he's struggling most with. 

I know why some people look past performances like this, it's the "i'd prefer to have Axl out there like this, than to have nothing at all" but to me that's nuts, I love GNR but when I listen to them these days, more often than not I have to turn off the performance or lower the volume so nobody else will hear it... it's not all the time obviously, but I'd find it incredibly difficult to show someone a full concert that Axl absolutely nails without going "mickey". And when you compare this performance to Aerosmith it makes GNR look like a joke band. And I seen someone saying at least he's not as bad as Jon Bon Jovi, well... no! At least Jon knows his limits, he doesn't go for the 80s high notes (leaving it to the other members), but he sings with power and is consistent night to night because he's a professional and puts a lot of work into a Bon Jovi show. *Not a Bon Jovi fan BTW, besides the greatest hits*

No way, man. Jon barely leaves his mic stand and hangs off it for dear life most songs. 

Jungle was ok. Fair bit of rasp. He seems more winded than anything. 

2 minutes ago, Crowebar said:

Seems like there's a heck of a lot more whiners on this forum than their used to be. I've been coming here since around 1998 and the negativity has just gotten progressively worse as the years have gone by. Axl's only human folks and in his fifties. Cut the dude some slack. He's not a God...

Being old isn't an excuse, he was old here 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Being old isn't an excuse, he was old here 

Huge difference from last year. As per usual, it seems like he arrives unprepared in Rio, looking heavier, sounding worse, seeming more winded. Voice needs a break or rehearsals, vocal training.

Edited by AFGnR
  • Like 1

I saw them this summer and I'd see them again. I had a great time being there. 

But I almost never watch new clips online anymore. With Axl in such poor shape, there's just no point. On Guns songs in particular, it sounds almost like a parody. 

When I went to see the live show in Munich, I just stayed away from the forum for a couple of days, to avoid negative comments :)

I would pay more money to see this band play live alongside an old live vocal track of Axl, then I would pay to see them with the current Mickey Mouse. 

The sad thing is that NuGnr was actually more enjoyable when Axl had a good voice in 2010. That is how much he is bringing down Slash and Duff with his horrific vocals. I remember when many said that even if Axl voice was not good, just having Slash and Duff back in the band would be enough to cover up for the vocals. Well it did not.

Awful.

42 minutes ago, Mark1989 said:

Yeah sure Axl's voixe is shot. Its all about the effort 

So why if Axl lost his voice like people is claiming here, he sounds fantastic in this song? I bet my ass that if Axl sings with AC/DC again he will sing perfect again. It would be interesting to asking him and hear his response on why he sings weak with GnR!! Either way i love his voice right now. Last night was not his best but i liked it.

The thing I find sad about it all is I see a different Axl up there when they're in the trenches.

If they were in a tight spot back in the 90's, they'd either give a collective fuck you and play their asses off or storm off stage.

Now when Axl is struggling, you can almost see his confidence sap as the songs progress and he almost gives up. There's no real fire there anymore, just a guy trying to sing falsetto for 3 hours and get off stage to his hotel

• Like 1