09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

18 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

This was pretty much bang on a year ago.

I'm actually completely perplexed at to how he can go from this level of take the roof right off bad-assery to the consistently struggling falsetto  efforts he can't get away from.

Not only is he short changing his fans, but his band members too.

Imagine those vocals on a GNR global live stream. Instead, we have to watch yet another  proshot concert through out fingers

The balls on this performance!!! If he gave half as much to GNR we'd be over the moon. Great to watch this, and utterly head scratching at the same time.

I Know it's a 2hr show with AC/DC, not 3, but the difference in how he is singing For those about to rock... a really difficult song to deliver and how he performs Paradise city! It's night and day. 

I'd be happy if he went full on with AC/DC if it means we get to hear Axl Rose singing again, and not the fella that was on stage last night.

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

And world on fire was a great album filled with great moments, but live it's been up and down. I started noticing that he was getting a bit sloppy around the Apocalyptic love. Not a lost cause but as far as the untouchable fiery player he was in previous years? I'm not as bowled over. 

I see your point about not being inspired playing the same set, but go back and listen to the opening night in 2016 he was doing all the same stuff then too WAY before he should have been sick of playing the material (which he largely hadn't played in 20+ years). having said all that, I still love Slash and hope to (someday) hear some new gnr material with Slash.

This was just three years ago,

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maynard said:

lol, GNR is exactly the same bro. Difference is that JBJ still writes music. Axl just plays his Greatest Hits and doesn't have balls to release any new music. GNR and BJ are both shit.

:lol: Yeh, spot on. Jon said it best in 2006, "That motherfucker hasn't made a record in 13 years and he gets all that attention. You know what I've done in 13 years? A lot. But they have continued to write about the freak show aspect of him. Because he's a recluse. That makes him interesting, right?"

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This was just three years ago,

That outro solo was blistering! 

I actually went to see him on this tour and he wasn't playing this well! I walked away a bit disappointed actually... had I seen this!? I'd have been blown away!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That outro solo was blistering! 

I actually went to see him on this tour and he wasn't playing this well! I walked away a bit disappointed actually... had I seen this!? I'd have been blown away!

Did he play it on the Les Paul or the Guild when you saw him? I personally think it lost something when he started playing this song with the Guild. Sloppy and awkward... I also prefer Civil War with the Les Paul... 

Axl doesn't care about the dignity of his reputation, that's terrible for people who like him and care. While some fans try to defend the indefensible he's fucking hot chicks.

I think he has no interest of creating new art with Guns, he only likes doing concerts and while he gets money by this there will be no motivation to produce new material.

2 minutes ago, lassie said:

Sound winded? You must be joking right, i even bet he can do it it 10 times better than you. Never put anybody down, if you not can do it better yourself.

shove it

Lol, so a fan can't be critical about an artist? Axl is a pro, paid like one, and should perform like one. He naild LALD (did WTTJ decent), but the rest was weak. The worst thing about it is that he could pull it off, but doesn't want to because he doesn't care. 

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The balls on this performance!!! If he gave half as much to GNR we'd be over the moon. Great to watch this, and utterly head scratching at the same time.

I Know it's a 2hr show with AC/DC, not 3, but the difference in how he is singing For those about to rock... a really difficult song to deliver and how he performs Paradise city! It's night and day. 

I'd be happy if he went full on with AC/DC if it means we get to hear Axl Rose singing again, and not the fella that was on stage last night.

When do you get it, his middle register voice is gone/very bad, so he can do low voice good, and high awesome like AC/DC. We have talked about it for a year, and again Guns songs are damn hard to sing, just try to keep up with Estranged or Coma.

22 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Favorite Slash performance of all time

One other thing. Has Slash changed his pose a bit? This was Slash previously (basically to look cool), legs akimbo and bent, slightly leaning back, Les Paul low slung,

5221816621_94fc41aa0a.jpg

That is the quintessential Slash pose.

Now he stands straighter and more upright - like a normal stance basically - and his guitar seems slightly higher. He still raises his guitar vertically for the solos, and does those little Chuck Berry-esque leg taps (which Ashba infuriatingly imitated!).

You can tell I am an expert on Slash's guitar shapes. A misspent youth.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, lassie said:

When do you get it, his middle register voice is gone/very bad, so he can do low voice good, and high awesome like AC/DC. We have talked about it for a year, and again Guns songs are damn hard to sing, just try to keep up with Estranged or Coma.

But even his high voice sucked badly. He seriously cuts corners with that weak head falsetto

How Axl can go from sounding like he did on Ac Dc to Rio in a matter of months is perplexing. Never seen something this jarring vocally before. 

Probably as simple as, Axl might have been with vocal coach and sleeping well in ACDC and now in GnR he's getting pissed every night. I mean, there isn't a switch you turn on to sound great or shit.

Overall this show was very up and down. An improvement over Rio 2011? Sure, but thats not that hard to top, It was a disaster from top to bottom. 

Axl wasnt any worse than he's been the past few months, songs like Yesterdays, YCBM, RQ, UTLH, PC, NR, Michelle, and BHS sounded like they always do, shitty.Coma was a trainwreck, Axl's voice wasnt good throughout the song and then it fucking died at the end. I had not seen a full show of theirs in a while. Its a shame they're still doing extended jams all over the place, It kills energy so much. They would really benefit from trimming the fat off the setlist they are playing. In a festival setting, a lean, mean 18-20 set would have been really great. I know why they do all the jams, to give Axl room to catch his breath, but that shouldnt fly. If he cant cut it for such an extended set, then they should shorten it, and He should actually fucking prepare and rehearse, so that he can get it right without having to have all these momentum killers. 

Also, with pro shot, we got to hear Frank and Richard pretty clear(for the most part with richard, when his guitar sound wasnt being buried). Those guys shouldnt be anywhere near a new GNR album if there ever is one, IMO. They dont cut it. Frank is always all over the place and Richard's tone sucks. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood

53 minutes ago, lassie said:

Estranged is an easy song to sing...

• Like 1

Yeah Axl wasn't very good but I think tech problems fucked the band up from the start the timing was shocking all through the show. I have watched millions of GNR boots over the years but this would have to be the worse. Listen to the start of double talkin Jive it's like duff was completely losted it's wierd as

Edited by Gibbo

10 minutes ago, pugachev said:

I have to be perfectly honest with myself, I really prefer this band here to the current iteration of GNR. Axl can't sing anymore and Slash plays like he doesn't care. 3 Years ago when that was recorded, I was begging for a Guns N' Roses reunion. I never thought I would be begging to go back lol. Hope to see Slash go back with Myles because that's probably the best he is going to do at the point in his career, money aside obviously. Slash has built a pretty great catalogue of songs over the years, all he needs is a singer that can do those songs justice. Myles has proven he can do it. I love Axl as much as anyone, but he doesn't have it anymore. I hate that, but its the sad, sad truth. Bring on the SMKC reunion!

Just seriously tell me that this Axl doesn't have it anymore:

I think he is just bored as fuck of this tour. It is taking too long to end.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1