Discussion: The real reason why UYI is largely ignored at the current tour

10 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

disagree outrageously and you are wrong -  if you missed 91 u missed gnr in every letter of the alphabet those deep cuts with axls resonating voice on UYI is the ultimate holy grail along with izzys noticeable presence which becomes noticeably absent after with the 10 out of 33 

its like this time axl is more in tune with burrying UYI now as he was in 91 with burying appetite 

whats more funny is how small gnrs catalogue is in that the neglected tunes of UYI are the only remaining source of any real deep cuts period other than a couple danglers on lies 

The main argument isn't that UYI deep cuts aren't played but that it is "largely ignored", if largely ignored means 10 songs from it being played live, well we need to then change the definition of "largely ignored" lol

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

The main argument isn't that UYI deep cuts aren't played but that it is "largely ignored", if largely ignored means 10 songs from it being played live, well we need to then change the definition of "largely ignored" lol

You forget one thing, the smallness of the discography.

Rose: "For me, when I hear certain things on the "Use Your Illusion"....on that record, it's... since I'm in it, I can hear a band dying. I can hear when Izzy was unconsciously over it. I can hear where the band was leaning away from what Guns N' Roses [had] originally been about.

People may have their favorite songs, and it may be on "Use Your Illusion," but most people do tend to lean towards "Appetite" as being the defining Guns N' Roses record, and I can hear how, in the sound, it was moving away from that there. There's just so much I was able to do in keeping that aspect together."

"With 'Illusions' several years ago, something came on the radio and I realized how the energy in the drums, though solid and consistent, brought me down in a way I feel damaged the material in the long run, if not from the get-go. Maybe it's there with some, most or all of us in ways, but I specifically notice it more with the drums. And when listening in that sense of analyzing how something feels to me in regards to its involvement or inclusion in the song, whether anyone disagrees I'm somewhat capable of removing myself and events from the picture."

Every time Axl has spoken about the UYI albums publicly since the early 90s it has been with bad memories of either how the band was falling apart during the sessions, or how he didn't like the way the mixes turned out, or being forced to tour (according to him), or having the albums pushed out too early. He doesn't have fond memories of those records, and probably doesn't like most of the material.

53 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Rose: "For me, when I hear certain things on the "Use Your Illusion"....on that record, it's... since I'm in it, I can hear a band dying. I can hear when Izzy was unconsciously over it. I can hear where the band was leaning away from what Guns N' Roses [had] originally been about.

People may have their favorite songs, and it may be on "Use Your Illusion," but most people do tend to lean towards "Appetite" as being the defining Guns N' Roses record, and I can hear how, in the sound, it was moving away from that there. There's just so much I was able to do in keeping that aspect together."

"With 'Illusions' several years ago, something came on the radio and I realized how the energy in the drums, though solid and consistent, brought me down in a way I feel damaged the material in the long run, if not from the get-go. Maybe it's there with some, most or all of us in ways, but I specifically notice it more with the drums. And when listening in that sense of analyzing how something feels to me in regards to its involvement or inclusion in the song, whether anyone disagrees I'm somewhat capable of removing myself and events from the picture."

Every time Axl has spoken about the UYI albums publicly since the early 90s it has been with bad memories of either how the band was falling apart during the sessions, or how he didn't like the way the mixes turned out, or being forced to tour (according to him), or having the albums pushed out too early. He doesn't have fond memories of those records, and probably doesn't like most of the material.

Ax said a lot of crap to justify himself for breaking the band apart, basically he tried to convince himself he did the right thing.

IMO, he is playing the songs he can still sing and the band Fortus/Frand/Mel can still play.

Not sure how Ax/Mel/Frank/Fortus would play Dead Horse, Pretty tied up, Right next door, Perfect Crime, Breakdown, Locomotive..., to some Fortus may soud ok, but I don't think him and Frank would be capable of pulling that through, unlike Iz/Gilby/Matt

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Is that really a Quote from Axl?

Yes it is. Found that interview online a couple of days ago. Possibly to give himself more validation that the songs on CD are better than the appetite+illusions recordings. His sessions for CD were mostly disorganised and not recorded in an organic way of having each band member in a studio  and just jamming why hes so negative with remembering the illusion recordings compared to the directionless sessions for CD is beyond me.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You forget one thing, the smallness of the discography.

Nah I remembered that too, IMO 10 Illusions songs in a 33 song setlist where a lot of the songs are Appetite and Lies and Chinese and otherwise, is hardly meaning it is being ignored.

I mean hell yeah I would love Perfect Crime and Breakdown to be busted out, but the Illusions are 30 tracks total so people are getting 1/3rd of the two albums combined at any given show.  That ain't "ignored"

I’m super thankful DTJMF is on the list.  Also on at staples center I was sitting as close to the side stage where Axl’s little tent is and I kept yelling “oh my God”, “silkworms” & “back off bitch” as loud as I could at every quiet moment of the show(I got some pipes in me).. I know Axl heard me at least twice.

would love to hear back off bitch, breakdown, dont damn me, so fine,  aint it fun, irs, if the world & of course oh my god

Bad Obsession, Dead Horse , PTU and So Fine are songs Axl could easily still sing with today’s vocals and would be great additions to the set list. Songs like Locomotive, Breakdown and DDM would be amazing to hear and would be highlights of the tour if played. But I feel those 3 plus most other songs not I’ve not mentioned need 90’s Axl to do them justice. Some songs are maybe better left in the past. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Use Your Illusion is the most important artistic achievement since the Bible.  - W. Axl Rose 

I think it was actually Steven who said that

18 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

Bad Obsession, Dead Horse , PTU and So Fine are songs Axl could easily still sing with today’s vocals and would be great additions to the set list. Songs like Locomotive, Breakdown and DDM would be amazing to hear and would be highlights of the tour if played. But I feel those 3 plus most other songs not I’ve not mentioned need 90’s Axl to do them justice. Some songs are maybe better left in the past. 

Then he shouldn't be singing YCBM or Paradise City either. If he can butcher those he can also butcher Breakdown for the fans. A badly performed deep cut would still be better than the same old shit, and there are of course all the awesome Slash solos in them that will always kick ass, especially Breakdown and Locomotive.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Is that really a Quote from Axl?

Yes. The first two paragraphs are from the 1999 interview with Kurt Loder and the third is from the 2009 interview with Del.

Axl has also said that the UYI's were rather three solo albums than a band effort.

---

I think an additional reason might be that Axl isn't comfortable now with some of the lyrics in the UYI songs or doesn't feel like singing them; e.g. Bad Obsession and Locomotive (apart from it being a very demanding song vocally).

In the 2008 chats he was open about bringing back Dead Horse and Breakdown "some time in the future".

In 2012 he played 14 Years with Izzy (which he hadn't in 2006).

Coma was of course brought back mostly because of Slash. Axl however said in the China Exchange interview that it's the song he's been enjoying singing the most along with CD songs - I don't know why people ignore that part of his response.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it was actually Steven who said that

Then he shouldn't be singing YCBM or Paradise City either. If he can butcher those he can also butcher Breakdown for the fans. A badly performed deep cut would still be better than the same old shit, and there are of course all the awesome Slash solos in them that will always kick ass, especially Breakdown and Locomotive.

Good point and add yesterday’s to that list with YCBM and PC.  I would personally love to hear any other UYI song over CD songs and cover songs. I think there probably is a few songs that Axl may feel he can’t sing now but it shouldn’t stop him from attempting them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scooby845 said:

So Axl apparently doesn't like drums on use your illusion but likes frank on cd...

wow

Keep in mind that the only drums Frank does on the actual CD album are the title track, If the World, and the chorus of Better. The rest is all Brain on the album (with "arrangements" by Josh).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That interview just shows that Axl still just couldn't accept responsibility for anything.. The biggest complaint I hear about UYI's is the over production and corny layers and over dubs. That was all him.. Hardly ever if at all do you hear anyone bitch about the drums.. It also shows that it was all about him as the band was obviously happy with the drumming situation.. Slash and Duff continued to work with Matt for decades between VR and Neurotic Outsiders..

Isn't it Axl that wanted to bury Appetite? Every interview I ever read from any member of the band  and everything I witnessed as a fan eluded to Axl being the one responsible for them moving farther and farther away from being what they were during the Appetite Era.. CD shows that even more.  The dude is still on another planet.  

I wish he would put his money where his mouth is and release another album in the vein of Appetite to bookend their career.  Unfortunately with all the focus on CD and the half ass lineup, if there was another album it would probably be more like CD than anything. 

Crazy right? Frank is freaking brutal.. I also recall an interview where Axl was saying how outdated and 80's the drums on Appetite were.

No disrespect but one common criticism I see of The Illusions, mostly from the casual-reviewer type, is that Sorum’s drums on the illusion records are too clangy and don’t sound right- in the preference of what I assume people wished was Adler. I disagree though and like Sorum’s drumming. Anything is better than Frank on the drums, which I can’t for the life of me understand why Axl likes him on the kit...he’s not a bad technical drummer but does weird things on the drums and his tone is putrid in my opinion.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No disrespect but one common criticism I see of The Illusions, mostly from the casual-reviewer type, is that Sorum’s drums on the illusion records are too clangy and don’t sound right- in the preference of what I assume people wished was Adler. I disagree though and like Sorum’s drumming. Anything is better than Frank on the drums, which I can’t for the life of me understand why Axl likes him on the kit...he’s not a bad technical drummer but does weird things on the drums and his tone is putrid in my opinion.

In all fairness, I think that interview where Axl called out Matt's drumming on the Use Your Illusion albums led to a lot of the negativity against his drum sound. Before that interview - which was either late 2008 or early 2009 - I would read the occasional audiophile who would point out Matt's drumming on those albums sounded very dated and "off," but the general sentiment was that he fit in as well as Steven did, sounded fine, and probably handled more complex songs that would have been outside Steven's capabilities. It was only after that interview that I remember the whole "Matt was a good drummer, but lacked groove and his tone sounded horrible" point of view became widespread. So, maybe Axl had the final laugh against Matt. 

Although not perfect, his sound on The Spaghetti Incident and "Sympathy for the Devil" was a HUGE improvement, and I would have been interested to see what he could have done with the band moving forward. Nonetheless, he remains my least favorite GN'R drummer. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That interview just shows that Axl still just couldn't accept responsibility for anything.. The biggest complaint I hear about UYI's is the over production and corny layers and over dubs. That was all him.. Hardly ever if at all do you hear anyone bitch about the drums.. It also shows that it was all about him as the band was obviously happy with the drumming situation.. Slash and Duff continued to work with Matt for decades between VR and Neurotic Outsiders..

Isn't it Axl that wanted to bury Appetite? Every interview I ever read from any member of the band  and everything I witnessed as a fan eluded to Axl being the one responsible for them moving farther and farther away from being what they were during the Appetite Era.. CD shows that even more.  The dude is still on another planet.  

I wish he would put his money where his mouth is and release another album in the vein of Appetite to bookend their career.  Unfortunately with all the focus on CD and the half ass lineup, if there was another album it would probably be more like CD than anything. 

Crazy right? Frank is freaking brutal.. I also recall an interview where Axl was saying how outdated and 80's the drums on Appetite were.

100% this.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

See i'd love to hear more UYI songs but there is absolutely no way Frank could play them. Sourm was a machine on most of the songs especially locomotive. Frank would probably quit if they made him play something like that. If Steven was back in a large roll on the other hand, I could easily see more illusion songs. 

Just now, Gunsdrummer63 said:

See i'd love to hear more UYI songs but there is absolutely no way Frank could play them. Sourm was a machine on most of the songs especially locomotive. Frank would probably quit if they made him play something like that. If Steven was back in a large roll on the other hand, I could easily see more illusion songs. 

I think fortus could easily take on some other illusion songs. the rhythm parts don't seem that complicated and he really is a phenomenal guitarist. he compliments slash well

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

That would most probably be a new AC/DC album

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1