Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Neil Young sounds like he enjoys making albums at this stage of his career.

Axl Rose may not. That doesn't mean I don't want one, but if a near 60 year old man who's set for life financially gets more enjoyment out of playing life shows than he does recording, that's his call. 

It is his decision but lessens his legacy as a creative artist, reducing him to the status of a rather embarrassing tribute act.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is his decision but lessens his legacy as a creative artist, reducing him to the status of a rather embarrassing tribute act.

Well he didn't set the world on fire with CD, so he might resent putting stuff out for a public that's not into what he has to say.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

When an artist stops releasing music, that doesn't lessen his legacy as a creative artist, it freezes the legacy. Only releasing shit can lessen that legacy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

When an artist stops releasing music, that doesn't lessen his legacy as a creative artist, it freezes the legacy. Only releasing shit can lessen that legacy.

To only put out one album between 1991 and today means a radically different appraisal of the person who released 4 between 1987-1991. We seriously have to ponder whether Rose was that talented (creatively) to begin with, and/or whether he just had ''x'' amount of songs in the bank which left him bereft artistically once those songs were exhausted? We may query whether he requires Stradlin's presence? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To only put out one album between 1991 and today means a radically different appraisal of the person who released 4 between 1987-1991. We seriously have to ponder whether Rose was that talented (creatively) to begin with, and/or whether he just had ''x'' amount of songs in the bank which left him bereft artistically once those songs were exhausted? We may query whether he requires Stradlin's presence? 

I don't find it at all surprising that an artist will release less music as he grows older. It is not exactly unusual. Many artists even stop releasing altogether, which I suppose must come as a frightful shock to you. If you thought he would going to be as productive throughout his career as he were in the beginning, well, then I guess you were wrong. 

Besides, no one of us know how much music he has created over the last 3 decades, which is the real measure on creativity. His productivity, in terms of releasing said music, is of course poor. Still, one record in 2008 is better than nothing. And again, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone that an artists releases less frequently. One record is infinitely better than zero records (in terms of productivity; whether you like CD, which you don't, is a subjective thing and shouldn't influence an objective discussion of creativity and productivity).

And there is nothing wrong with not releasing music. Forcing art doesn't always work out well. I would much rather have an artist who realizes his well is dry and focuses on pleasing his fans through touring, than one who releases subpar records just out of habit or because he has to. Not that Axl's creative well has dried out, necessarily, his lack of releases is likely due to a host of other issues he has got.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't find it at all surprising that an artist will release less music as he grows older.

''Less music''? We are discussing somebody who doesn't release any music! We are not discussing a slowing down in activity but a complete termination.

• Like 4

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

''Less music''? We are discussing somebody who doesn't release any music! We are not discussing a slowing down in activity but a complete termination.

In the period after 1991 GN'R has released less music than in the period 1987-1991. I don't know how you can fail to comprehend that.

That being said, stopping to release music is not unusual either. I honestly don't understand how all of this is so difficult for you to accept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ive always seem Axl as a limited musician that had to count on other band members and shadow companies to achieve his visions.

Of course he did November Rain and Estranged, but would he be able to come with that without the other members?

Would he be able to writte CD without the hired hands?

At this point I doubt it. 

Axl is a question mark for me. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

In the period after 1991 GN'R has released less music than in the period 1987-1991. I don't know how you can fail to comprehend that.

That being said, stopping to release music is not unusual either. I honestly don't understand how all of this is so difficult for you to accept.

It has been eleven years since Chinese Democracy. This is some lessening of work rate we are dealing with here. A lessening to a complete stop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has been eleven years since Chinese Democracy. This is some lessening of work rate we are dealing with here. A lessening to a complete stop.

There will always be a "complete stop" in releases between releases :D

But again, even if there would be no more albums from GN'R, despite it all, it wouldn't be such an atrocity as you make it sound. Artists stop producing. That's how it is. Get over it ;)

Edited by SoulMonster

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There will always be a "complete stop" in releases between releases :D

But again, even if there would be no more albums from GN'R, despite it all, it wouldn't be such an atrocity as you make it sound. Artists stop producing. That's how it is. Get over it ;)

I stopped attending Rose's fat Vegas tribute act years ago so I think it is fair to say I have long since ''gotten over'' the fact Rose is creatively shot. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Harper Lee only had the one book!

I do think he probably needs Stradlin... just because of their history they have an equal power dynamic and can shade in each-other's weakspots. I don't hold it against him that he needs a songwriting partner as that's pretty common among the greats. I do think it sucks, though, that he doesn't acknowledge it or want to re-establish it!

Why do people 'expect' so much from GnR? We would all like there to have been more music release since 1991, but maybe there's a virtue in only releasing what someone seems is worthy of it, rather than putting out a shitload of mediocre albums for the sake of it and to fulfill recording contracts.