The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

12 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Also, remember that Oasis and Blur outside of UK, unless a festival, never played a bigger venue in the rest of Europe.

Oasis at their peak played venues like Huxley's neue welt in Berlin (850 cap), Offenbacher stadthalle (slightly bigger) and a show here or there in Spain. None of those bands really ment much outside UK.

GNR were the BIGGEST band on the planet, selling out football stadiums wherever they wanted, Slash played venues bigger than those on global level with Snakepit.

As a massive Oasis fan I have to correct you here. Oasis was definitely bigger in the UK than in the rest of the world but they were still a huge band in Europe. On the Be Here Now Tour in 1997 they played at Olympiahalle in Munich, Germany, a 15.000 seater. Here in Sweden they played at the Globe Arena in both 1997 and 2009 (2009 is way past their prime btw) a 16.000 seater where GN'R played during the UYI tour. 

On the Morning Glory Tour (1995-1996) they played mostly smaller venues in Europe, like the ones you mentioned earlier. This might in hindsight seem weird since that is the Oasis record with the most hits but it's important to remember that the follow up, Be Here Now, was when they hit the big time touring wise. It was during that tour they played Knebworth in the UK and managed to tour big arenas in the US as well as in Europe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

As a massive Oasis fan I have to correct you here. Oasis was definitely bigger in the UK than in the rest of the world but they were still a huge band in Europe. On the Be Here Now Tour in 1997 they played at Olympiahalle in Munich, Germany, a 15.000 seater. Here in Sweden they played at the Globe Arena in both 1997 and 2009 (2009 is way past their prime btw) a 16.000 seater where GN'R played during the UYI tour. 

Blur and Oasis were quite popular in Europe in the 90's. I don't know what kind of venues they were playing at the time, they were still relatively new bands by the mid 90's, but they were selling a lot of records. Back in the 90's you still had MTV Europe, and I remember their videos being played on there constantly.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:11 AM, Free Bird said:

No, we know that Izzy came to the Project camp and they worked together on new music that Scott refused later. If you have more information rather than assumptions then let me know.

Well, again - you're right. It's an assumption but based on facts. I think there's a picture of The Project with Izzy on vocals (which speaks volumes) in Slash's book with a description going like "working on a song called Snafu". This song later appeared on one of Izzy's records, too. I am too lazy to check but I also think there are mentions in Duff's or Slash's biography (and also in some interviews) that Izzy came in the camp with songs/song ideas/riffs. Vicky Hamilton, Matt Sorum, Duff, Slash and others repeatedly stated Izzy was a great songstarter that was used to come to a rehearsal already with a foundation of a song (basic vocal melody, riff, chorus etc.) in his pocket or with a song that was more or less completed, often including lyrics. 

So again - you're right, it's an assumption but I do believe (and I guess I am not the only one) the basic riff for DIFTK/Bomb was written by Izz and VR/The Project developed it into a full song that is very different from Izzy's Bomb.

On the other hand sometimes it's difficult to say who wrote what in the GNR world. WTTJ opening riff is a great example. Slash clearly remembers the moment he got the idea and Duff insists he brought in his old riff ("stealing it" from one of his previous bands). Writing credits don't help here as they don't help in DIFTK/Bomb "case".

4 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Well, again - you're right. It's an assumption but based on facts. I think there's a picture of The Project with Izzy on vocals (which speaks volumes) in Slash's book with a description going like "working on a song called Snafu". This song later appeared on one of Izzy's records, too. I am too lazy to check but I also think there are mentions in Duff's or Slash's biography (and also in some interviews) that Izzy came in the camp with songs/song ideas/riffs. Vicky Hamilton, Matt Sorum, Duff, Slash and others repeatedly stated Izzy was a great songstarter that was used to come to a rehearsal already with a foundation of a song (basic vocal melody, riff, chorus etc.) in his pocket or with a song that was more or less completed, often including lyrics. 

So again - you're right, it's an assumption but I do believe (and I guess I am not the only one) the basic riff for DIFTK/Bomb was written by Izz and VR/The Project developed it into a full song that is very different from Izzy's Bomb.

On the other hand sometimes it's difficult to say who wrote what in the GNR world. WTTJ opening riff is a great example. Slash clearly remembers the moment he got the idea and Duff insists he brought in his old riff ("stealing it" from one of his previous bands). Writing credits don't help here as they don't help in DIFTK/Bomb "case".

Blackstar posted an interview with Slash that pretty much confirmed what you said. :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Oh man, I love Snafu and Bomb from Izzy's Like a dog album. 

It would have been glorious if they did just what Izzy had in mind - Izzy and Duff on vocals. 

I just know I would have loved it.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

22 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Because some fans still have hope that GnR can be a real and relevant band again. The best records are always a snapshot of the current state the artist is in at the given time. You do the recording while you feel it, so to speak. 

I don't want the best product, I want to hear real music.

The Best product will stand the test of time. If Axl can't pull off the vocals in 2020, but he could in 2006, that will sound better. I agree the music needs to be recorded by the current members, but the best vocal has to be the on the record, whether it's recorded today or 25 years ago!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WhazUp said:

For me personally the problem isn't necessarily that the vocals were recorded years prior and that's it - the issue is an album like CD combining vocals from 1999, guitar tracks from various sessions over a 10 year span from multiple guitarists, Frank re-recording Brain's parts which were re-records of Josh's parts, etc. that make it a disjointed sonic mess

So in that sense, I would much rather take new Axl vocals and any old compositions completely re-recorded and recorded how real, normal, non-Axl led rock bands do, than any of the above-stated stuff happening again for the next album

Songwriting is ofc an important aspect, but if the mix and production doesn't allow the core compositions to shine, that will effect the public's perception of the music as a whole for sure

I think the best case scenario, if they are using songs writing during the 96-06 era, that this band record all the music from scratch, and if the best vocal is the one from 20 years ago, so be it. The vocal will make or break the success of this record. And in that period axl sounded unbelievable. Theoretically, if the album comes out this year (LOL) then perhaps in 25 years I'll still be listening to it, I'll want to hear the best axl vocal. I personally thought Rock the Rock was weak vocally. You could tell he was trying and forcing but there was no power behind it. Even that was about 3 years ago! Now? I dread to think

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Oh man, I love Snafu and Bomb from Izzy's Like a dog album. 

It would have been glorious if they did just what Izzy had in mind - Izzy and Duff on vocals. 

I just know I would have loved it.

Me too

• Like 1

I listened to Velvet Revolver Libertad twice today in my Explorer since I had a rather long round trip on the road.

If Slash pulls off similarly as good contributions on CD2, I can get down with that. I expect Duff will replace most or all of Tommy's parts, and thus they will probably mix bass guitar higher than they did with 2008's CD (something I don't like about CD) so the mixes should be more like the Village stuff, through not as rough obviously.

And if they keep some Brain drums, and if we are lucky, a few Bucket solos, maybe a Robin solo or two if we are good boys and girls for Christmas, the next album may be a better album than it would be as it existed in 2008-2014.

Hopefully, we will find out soon.

Happy Independence Day.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I listened to Velvet Revolver Libertad twice today in my Explorer since I had a rather long round trip on the road.

If Slash pulls off similarly as good contributions on CD2, I can get down with that. I expect Duff will replace most or all of Tommy's parts, and thus they will probably mix bass guitar higher than they did with 2008's CD (something I don't like about CD) so the mixes should be more like the Village stuff, through not as rough obviously.

And if they keep some Brain drums, and if we are lucky, a few Bucket solos, maybe a Robin solo or two if we are good boys and girls for Christmas, the next album may be a better album than it would be as it existed in 2008-2014.

Hopefully, we will find out soon.

Happy Independence Day.

A band with slash only to feature bucket and robin on solos. Lol 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

A band with slash only to feature bucket and robin on solos. Lol 

Never gonna happen. Although Slash seems to be just another of Axl's "yes men" these days he has to draw the line somewhere. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Can you imagine if they did go ahead and release the album with Bucket etc parts still intact... how would they promote it? who is going to rush to get an album where some basically unknown (to the masses) player is playing the lead while the iconic Slash sits back playing rhythm. 

I bet if they released CD2 as it existed in 2014 (or whatever) most people wouldn't notice or care that Slash wasn't on it. People would probably hear Robin or Bucket at times and think, wow, Slash sounds really good here! 

• Like 2

Just now, Sweersa said:

I bet if they released CD2 as it existed in 2014 (or whatever) most people wouldn't notice or care that Slash wasn't on it. People would probably hear Robin or Bucket at times and think, wow, Slash sounds really good here! 

I think people would have been much kinder on the record, knowing that it was definitely going to be much more in line with CD than AFD/UYI. Expectations would at least be managed!😄 Now expectations are that they are about to release UYI III.... imagine if the (hypothetical) album is called Use Your Illusion III🤣 

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think people would have been much kinder on the record, knowing that it was definitely going to be much more in line with CD than AFD/UYI. Expectations would at least be managed!😄 Now expectations are that they are about to release UYI III.... imagine if the (hypothetical) album is called Use Your Illusion III🤣 

I've thought about that too. I hope they call it Seven, with the 7th song named Seven.

JARMO BEING OPTIMISTIC PART 2000!! How will he defend them after this not happening at all? (also this)

"It's kinda hard to keep a secret these days to be able to pull off a surprise release.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe a teaser clip announcing it and then the full release some days later?

/jarmo"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:
JARMO BEING OPTIMISTIC PART 2000!! How will he defend them after this not happening at all? (also this)

"It's kinda hard to keep a secret these days to be able to pull off a surprise release.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe a teaser clip announcing it and then the full release some days later?

/jarmo"

That guy knows about as much as we do. What a joke.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

/jarmo"

Lulz. 

A surprise release is hard to pull off? How far bigger / more relevant artists than GN'R done so then? 

Beyoncé was able to do it. Taylor Swift was able to do it, twice. Eminem was able to do it, twice. 

How is it impossible for GN'R to do it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Or they'd be hearing Ashba thinking "Has Slash lost it? He sounds like fucking dug shite"

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Lulz. 

A surprise release is hard to pull off? How far bigger / more relevant artists than GN'R done so then? 

Beyoncé was able to do it. Taylor Swift was able to do it, twice. Eminem was able to do it, twice. 

How is it impossible for GN'R to do it? 

I think because everything is harder with GNR than any other band?