The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

So what is it, is it that nothing is coming "right now" (I don't think many people really believe that anyway) or is it that nothing is coming anytime soon (many people are skeptical about that, too, but are hopeful)? Or is it nothing will ever come out except two or three songs since no other vocals were recorded? (because that's exactly what the banned member "categorically" claimed - and he wasn't banned for having that opinion, but for repeating his claim ad nauseam and arguing with everyone over it).

All three. I don’t believe anything is coming now or soon - and I believe that anything released for a future US leg (because that’s what I believe these songs are for - to drum up interest in a US tour), then I believe that any song potentially released then would be Atlas Shrugged, SoG, or Perhaps, since those are the songs left with completed vocals. So yes, I’m a “there isn’t that much left in the vault left with vocals” guy.

And if we’re talking “ad nauseum,” - I can’t express how annoying it is reading “‘Perhaps’ is showing up here in New Zealand!” over and over again.

18 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Another example: Chinese Democracy was released on Geffen as well as Black Frog (Axl's own independent label) 

Yeah, but I don't know if it's exactly the same. I think Black Frog was more like an imprint of Geffen, because Geffen/UMG paid for the production of the album (at least for most of it, as far as we know). Something similar happened with the supposedly independent "Uzi Suicide" label and Live Like A Suicide in 1986. But Slash seems to self-fund and produce his records on his own label, and then signs deals with bigger companies to promote and distribute them. Hard Skool and Absurd from last year seem, from the credits, to also be self-funded, but probably "GN'R Records" had not been set up yet.

Edited by Blackstar

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

UMG is not out, but it seems GN'R now have a different deal with them - likely that GN'R record music on their own label and UMG is the distributor.

No, it's because Geffen is releasing it and distributing it. But the live recording is owned by GN'R, hence by their own label.

I believe UMG stopped financing the recordings years ago. GNR finished parts of these songs on their own dime and therefore own part or even all of the masters. They also own their live recordings 

UMG however probably still owns the right to release any recording as they are probably still under their record contract. That’s where this licensing/distribution deal comes in. Prob a ton of billable hours to figure this all out 

Normally when a label stops funding an artist, they shelve songs/albums and hold that artist hostage under their contract 

Edited by guitarpatch

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The GN'R Records label thing looks like a model similar to how Slash releases his records. He has his own label, but signed a deal with Gibson to release and distribute the last record.

Taking a stroll down Speculation Street, it is certainly possible there was some sort of dispute about these songs behind the scenes that caused delays (regarding ownership or profits, perhaps?) that may now be resolved with GNR setting up its label. 

I also think it may be a good strategy to roll out new songs before the box set. A release will get covered by all major music outlets and increased interest in the band should lead to more sales of the UYI box as well. 

We should all keep a "believe it when I see it" mindset, but man it would just be awesome if we finally get to hear these songs after so many years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

I believe UMG stopped financing the recordings years ago. GNR finished parts of these songs on their own dime and therefore own part or even all of the masters. They also own their live recordings 

UMG however probably still owns the right to release any recording as they are still probably still under contract. That’s where this licensing/distribution deal comes in. Prob a ton of billable hours to figure this all out 

From the credits on streaming platforms and on the auto-generated videos on youtube it seems that UMG owns the recordings on the Chinese Democracy album. It also probably owns many of the recorded versions of unreleased songs, while, like you say, the more recent recorded versions of these songs were partially or fully funded by GN'R. I suppose this would be the case if, for example, the recording of the vocals and the drums was funded by the label and the recording of the other instruments was funded by GN'R. But let's say that they changed the old vocal track a bit, like adding another chorus (cut and paste from the old recording) or changed the mix of it a bit, or edited the drum track, and they funded that new mix, that would count as a different recording, right?

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

From the credits on streaming platforms and on the auto-generated videos on youtube it seems that UMG owns the recordings on the Chinese Democracy album. It also probably owns many of the recorded versions of unreleased songs, while, like you say, the more recent recorded versions of these songs were partially or fully funded by GN'R. I suppose this would be the case if, for example, the recording of the vocals and the drums was funded by the label and the recording of the other instruments was funded by GN'R. But let's say that they changed the old vocal track a bit, like adding another chorus (cut and paste from the old recording) or changed the mix of it a bit, or edited the drum track, and they funded that new mix, that would count as a different recording, right?

My guess is that they bought the masters from those sessions at some point and now just own it outright 

That doesn’t however get GNR out of their record contract and UMG still has the right to release any recording. So they just license it over 

6 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

My guess is that they bought the masters from those sessions at some point and now just own it outright 

That doesn’t however get GNR out of their record contract and UMG still has the right to release any recording. So they just license it over 

But I suppose there's probably a new deal with UMG in place in regards to future releases.

Regarding the ownership of the master recordings, Duff said in 2018 that they were going to take ownership of the masters of AFD after it would be 35 years since it was recorded (from what I understand, 35 years is the standard period that the label owns the recordings unless it's agreed otherwise). So I guess GN'R will own the AFD masters soon (if they don't own them already since it's now been 35 years since 1987).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's one thing to spam every thread with essentially the same comment about no new vocals/songs. It's another for people to speculate on a situation that is actively updating, regardless if it ends up being a result of an algorithm.

The problem with Pele was he kept changing what he claimed to be fact. At first he aside there was no vocals recorded since the sessions from the village leaks. Then someone pointed out Scraped and he said okay that was the only song Axl recorded post 2001. Then someone mentioned Soul Monster which Axl said the bridge was recorded one Christmas eve, so Pele said it only had a bridge recorded and nothing else. 

Then someone mentioned The General cell phone recording, Pele said that was it. Nothing else. And so on until people kept proving him wrong. 

On 12/13/2019 at 6:28 PM, sofine11 said:

People are joking and scoffing about it, but honestly, in my opinion it's now or never.  As in a March/April release is either happening, or this band (namely Axl) has no real intention of putting out an album, probably ever.  

That's about as close to "optimism" as I can get right now.

"Now or never" was a long time ago.

Can anyone here even imagine Axl trying to sing something like State of Grace live?

Anyways... if they do release it, it would at least put an end to all of this. I still remember how I felt after Chinese Democracy's release. I listened to it once, maybe twice.

My expectations were too high.

Songs like "The General" are these mythical epic songs in my mind. So when I hear the real thing it will probably disappoint.

I'm not even sure I still want to hear them by now.

6 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

Taking a stroll down Speculation Street, it is certainly possible there was some sort of dispute about these songs behind the scenes that caused delays (regarding ownership or profits, perhaps?) that may now be resolved with GNR setting up its label. 

I also think it may be a good strategy to roll out new songs before the box set. A release will get covered by all major music outlets and increased interest in the band should lead to more sales of the UYI box as well. 

We should all keep a "believe it when I see it" mindset, but man it would just be awesome if we finally get to hear these songs after so many years. 

yea i think it's a good idea. If the album is received well then people say 'wow i gotta get me as much GnR as I can, let's get the boxset' If the reviews are that the album sucks the tagline will be 'Buy the Boxset, that's classic GnR, not the new stuff' so either way it should give it a bump

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reayj2003 said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the instructions on how to share pics?

Inserting an image with a link.

EDIT: Copy the "directe link" from postimages and then copy it into the "insert image from URL" on this site.

https://postimages.org/

2001-Chinese-Regime.png

I don't know if it's allowed to do it like this but admins will say if I did it wrong I guess.

Edited by avahland
  • ABSUЯD 1

25 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Also in UK…

DA1-D386-F-0-A67-40-E7-ACA8-2690-C4-BB71

Also UK ....

Screenshot-20220925-131535.png

Here's the difference, the Spotify app my screenshot is from is fresh installed. A few years ago I paid for premium but after a while I figured it wasn't worth the asking price.

Spotify is purposely pushing Guns cause it knows this particular user likes them.

Edit: The General still brings up Guns. :lol:

Edited by Axls_Moustache_Rules