John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

Josh and John have always been friends and collaborators, I'm sure there aren't too hard of feelings.

I loved I'm With You, but it was missing something just like their album with Navarro. The Getaway kinda sucked, it showed RHCP at their least daring. The chemistry between the 4 members of the popular lineup is found almost nowhere else. Josh's ethereal backing vocals and wide atmospheric guitar sounds were a cool twist on the RHCP formula initially, but I'll take John back in a heartbeat. John has a better voice than most lead singers.

Any John slander in here must come from a lack of exposure to him. To the guy who saw him during the Californication tour: that is fair, he wasn't playing great at the time, I remember reading that he lost some of his guitar skill during the really bad drug days after he left RHCP in the 90s and had to work to regain it. By the time Stadium Arcadium was out, he is one of the best guitarists ever, no question.

2 hours ago, Mr MacPhisto said:

Wonder how far along they were with the new album,and will they scrap it all now John's back.

RHCP already scrapped the whole album twice so far. Once in 2003/04 and once in 2015/16, they were never really short on ideas :D Even if they start now they can make it for the autumn of 2020 for sure

17 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So the two solo records he put out in the late 90s were recorded before he had left the band in 1992? I vaguely recall hearing that he had only released those albums cause he needed drug money, so it wouldn’t surprise me if both of those records were just late 80s/ early 90s demos that he scrapped together.

I believe Niandra Lades was done concurrently while he was still in the group, in their Blood Sugar Sex Magic vintage. Smile From the Streets You Hold was released in 97, right about as he was hitting rock bottom and was a mix of all of the above, late 80's/90's to current at the time. Both albums went to drug money, but I remember hearing that post-addiction, he was embarrassed with Smile and pretty much tried to erase it from his discography.

---

As far as this news of John's return-- Probably the most exciting thing I've read on this forum since news of Duff's wife leaking the reunion in 2015, and of course all the Mygnr/CSI leading up to the Troubadour.

---

Just this morning I was reading an article about ataxia (the medical condition) which shares the name of John & Josh's old group.

This is such great news. Stadium Arcadium felt like the pinnacle of modern rock lead guitar work and a culmination of that iteration. I totally get John's not wanting to tour and be apart of the music biz scene-- So I'm With You was a welcomed change. They tried something fresh and it worked. Only saw them live once in 2017 in support of Dark Necessities, which I never listened to in full-- But Josh was very good, meshed well. More of a focus on ambiance though, as opposed to John's raw fire. Hearing Aeroplane live was cool w/ Josh-- I never realized that John didn't play the Navarro songs live-- But I'd be ok omitting those albums from the setlist, if it means the possibility of seeing Frusicante live with RHCP.

The potential for new music/album is so intriguing! Especially with all the electronic jazz Frusciante's been doing recently, he must have some repressed guitar driven songs that are waiting to be heard.

Edited by doakes

13 minutes ago, doakes said:

I believe Niandra Lades was done concurrently while he was still in the group, in their Blood Sugar Sex Magic vintage. Smile From the Streets You Hold was released in 97, right about as he was hitting rock bottom and was a mix of all of the above, late 80's/90's to current at the time. Both albums went to drug money, but I remember hearing that post-addiction, he was embarrassed with Smile and pretty much tried to erase it from his discography.

---

As far as this news of John's return-- Probably the most exciting thing I've read on this forum since news of Duff's wife leaking the reunion in 2015, and of course all the Mygnr/CSI leading up to the Troubadour.

---

Just this morning I was reading an article about ataxia (the medical condition) which shares the name of John & Josh's old group.

This is such great news. Stadium Arcadium felt like the pinnacle of modern rock lead guitar work and a culmination of that iteration. I totally get John's not wanting to tour and be apart of the music biz scene-- So I'm With You was a welcomed change. They tried something fresh and it worked. Only saw them live once in 2017 in support of Dark Necessities, which I never listened to in full-- But Josh was very good, meshed well. More of a focus on ambiance though, as opposed to John's raw fire. Hearing Aeroplane live was cool w/ Josh-- I never realized that John didn't play the Navarro songs live-- But I'd be ok omitting those albums from the setlist, if it means the possibility of seeing Frusicante live with RHCP.

The potential for new music/album is so intriguing! Especially with all the electronic jazz Frusciante's been doing recently, he must have some repressed guitar driven songs that are waiting to be heard.

Yeah I really hope this is leading to a new album, and not just a nostalgia tour for $.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I really hope this is leading to a new album, and not just a nostalgia tour for $.

There's no way in the world Frusciante would rejoin for a nostalgia tour!

They'll be working on a new album at the moment for sure.

Unfortunately loving GnR has beaten us down and we're suspicious of everyone's motives now :lol:

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

That songs a fucking bitch to play. I got repetitive strain injury in my wrist thanks to that song!

I mean hell, even Frusciante slowed that song down live alot of the time. 5 min of hammeron and pullofs is crazy.

Although I do appreciate his improvisations like Slash does, I personally wish he would stick to the album versions of the solos

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

That songs a fucking bitch to play. I got repetitive strain injury in my wrist thanks to that song!

I mean hell, even Frusciante slowed that song down live alot of the time. 5 min of hammeron and pullofs is crazy.

Although I do appreciate his improvisations like Slash does, I personally wish he would stick to the album versions of the solos

10 hours ago, Nicklord said:

They were just announced as headliners for Pinkpop, also for a stadium show in France and Greece, Firenze rocks and they are the headliners of Boston Calling with Foo Fighters. Don't think they slipped much really. They even performed at the latest Grammys together with Post Malone, the most mainstream thing you can do :D

I think it's just that John wanted back and it was always John's band and Josh and previously Dave Navarro were just replacements

they pretty much always relied on Flea - Chad axes. Kiedes lyrics rarely more than average, maybe 20 or so songs he really bothered going for more than heeeeeeyyyyy hooooooo, this is what I saaaaayyyy hoooooo'. Guitarists? Studio versions of  Blood sugar, Soul to squeeze, Californication are decent, but the rest and live versions, rather meh.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:33 PM, metallex78 said:

More likely an excuse because he can’t play what Navarro wrote with them....

John Frusciante is a good guitarist for RHCP, and I hope he writes some more great stuff with them now that he’s back. But a great guitar player he is not. 

I remember seeing the Californication tour and John was sloppy as shit. He couldn’t even play his own solos live.

Hahahahaha. John Frusciante not a good guitar player?! Never heard that one before. Frusciante is one of the most prolific and creative guitarist of the last 30 years. The Chili peppers would have been shit without him. He elevated that band to world class. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EvanG said:

I guess I'm one of the few who liked I'm With You. It was more a quieter, simple record, especially after the bombastic Stadium Arcadium, which had some good songs but it didn't really work for me.

As for Frusciante being a crappy player, heh, each to their own, I guess. He's not the most technical player, but he has written some incredible stuff and you can tell by four notes that he's playing, not many guitarists can do that. I dare any guitarist to play that Snow riff for 5 minutes straight at the same speed without making any mistakes.

Nah, the last record did well and they are still playing huge venues around the world.

They played a gig with Josh just last month, and supposedly they had been working on a new record for a long time, so I wonder what's up with that.

I loved I’m With You. I first heard after returning from Denver after seeing Phish. I was coming down off 4 hits of hardcore acid and thy album was pure bliss.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alfierose said:

***A reminder that only official artist youtube channels are to be linked on the forum. This doesn't just apply to GNR it's any artist and copyright holder.***

Really?  Fuckin' hell.  That'd invalidate 99% of the 'what are you listening to' thread surely?

• Like 1

AWESOME! I always said I really wanted to see them, but with Frusciante. Really glad he's back! All their greatest works are with him. The next dilemma is this:

- Chili Peppers are playing Pinkpop

- GnR is playing Pinkpop

- Among others Volbeat, Crowded House, Keane and Deftones are playing Pinkpop

I want to see the Chili's, but I'd much rather see them in an arena. Daytickets are 110 which is kinda steep for them. Festival tickets are 230, but mostly Guns isn't worth the extra money for me (plus I intend to boycot them). 

So.... Do I get daytickets for Chili's, do I get weekend tickets and hate myself for going to another GnR show, or do I wait for an arena gig.... 

Whoever calls Frusciante a shitty guitar player doesn't understand guitar. Or music in general.

Instrumentaly, I love listening to the Chili Peppers, not a big fan of the singer though.

Plus, I got the impression that they, as a band, already did everything, a bit like Metallica. What is left to do and say?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Ok, I was wondering because John Frusciante is second to none. I was truly boggled by his statement. 

I’m not trolling, he was shit when I saw him live with RHCP. So I’ve made up my mind. 

But I’ll let you fanboys carry on then here fawning over him. 

It's subjective, right? If you're into Buckethead/Malmsteen kind of playing then I understand someone not being impressed by John Frusciante because he's not a technical player like that.

Personally, I like him because of his feel and emotion and he has come up with some unique guitar stuff, at least for a rock guitarist. There are so many original licks and riffs on Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The guitar master tracks are all on youtube, cool to listen to without the other instruments. He's a better rhythm player than a lead player, that is for sure.

I believe what set him apart from other guitarists in the RHCP is that he has a great chemistry with the rest and his songwriting skills. He brought melody to the band and that brought the band to the mainstream eventually.

• Like 1