Chris Cornell Cover of "Patience" Dropping Tomorrow

53 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He’s been dead for three years actually.

My mistake. It honestly feels like yesterday.

40 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Going by that logic then releasing 'Shadow of Your Love' would mean GNR have released a "new" single.

No logic required for something that was clearly meant in satire.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I would take the stuff he did with audioslave than his solo stuff. Audioslave need props for putting rock back on the map in the early 2000s.I find the lyrics to his solo stuff to listen to as generic as listening to myles kennedy. But each their own. But SG is on a different level.

Musically his solo stuff was more interesting for me, I thought the first Audioslave record was great!! and then the follow ups were all middling, some great stuff but equally a lot of songs that were mediocre or just repeating themselves. 

Audioslave and Velvet Revolver along with the likes of the Strokes, Vines, Hives, Sum 41, Greenday all did a lot for rock music in those early 00s unfortunately they all disappeared as quickly as they came around, but there was a popular music scene that was heavy with guitars for a while there! i wouldn't like all those bands... but you can't dismiss them either!

30 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It’s fucking terrific! Best GNR cover I’ve ever heard, honestly. RIP Chris 

I like it, but I preferred Norah Jones's version, and I prefer her version of BHS over GNRS version... it all comes full circle back to Norah!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I have no interest in hearing it. Probably about as good as Sheryl Crow’s cover of “Sweet Child O’ Mine”.

What a position to take:facepalm: 

if you listened and said "lol" or something similarly dull, that would be something at least! dismissing it before even hearing it is so stupid though, it does stupid a disservice.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the Sheryl Crow version of SCOM but as far as covers go, I have heard far, far worse! 

11 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Always great to hear Cornell's voice. My favorite covert that he did was the cover of Metallica's "One" with the melody of U2's "One."

For me it was his version of Redemption song!

• Like 1

Just listened to it twice.  I like his version of the outro melody - just different enough to keep it interesting but loyal to the original.  He had such a great voice.  I was lucky enough to catch one of the Temple of the Dog shows - they played No Quarter by Zeppelin and covered Sabbath if I recall and his voice absolutely wailed on those tracks.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, surforia said:

Just listened to it twice.  I like his version of the outro melody - just different enough to keep it interesting but loyal to the original.  He had such a great voice.  I was lucky enough to catch one of the Temple of the Dog shows - they played No Quarter by Zeppelin and covered Sabbath if I recall and his voice absolutely wailed on those tracks.

He was incredible on those 2 songs! Especially No Quarter! 

He could be very hit and miss live, but when he was on it was incredible to watch and listen to! 

i wouldn't say better, but...

"That's the miracle of music. No one can reinterpret a Picasso, but a song can be remixed and covered and interpreted in an infinite number of ways. It's a living thing." Chris Cornell

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Better than original

Chris was amazing

Happy B Chris

You must be kidding right?

I agree it may sound fresh because youve probably have heard the original 3 million times...but I invite you to relisten it and rethink what you’ve said hahaah

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DonkeyNuts said:

Fucking great cover!

I like Chris's take....

I ALWAYS thought that it must be incredibly hard to take someone else's song and putting your own spin in it without sounding too much like you're just trying you re-sing the exact song with just your own vocals. 

This was pretty creative....IMO.

• Like 1

Cornell is my favorite singer and I have loved his music since first hearing Outshined back in the day. I think I cried a bit the day he died. His voice when crooning gives me goosebumps and when screaming those high-pitched screams a hard-on. This cover, as many of his covers, was a bit boring, though. I actually never liked his covers that much. Except for Stray Cat Blues. 

Chris's voice was/is one of the best ever and I thoroughly enjoy anything he did, including the controversial album Scream. This cover sounded very Higher Truth-esque, and would've fit in on that album nicely. 

This cover was not anywhere near as good as Axl's: the lack of whistling threw me off and I was expecting Chris to really go hard on the last verse.

At any rate, fortunate to have new music from Chris.

It kind of feels douchey to complain about this cover and how you might not like it. I mean, hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion, obviously. But I’m not sure it was ever even meant for public consumption. Cornell’s daughter is a big GNR fan and he recorded this for her. It’s awesome of the family to now share it with the world. 

Cornell definitely had a unique and incredible voice. It was also nice of his widow to thank Axl, Slash and Duff for continuing to cover “Black Hole Sun” thereby helping keep his memory alive. I’m sort of over hearing that cover live, but reading how much his family appreciates it, it changed my perspective. And I can't argue it still gets a huge pop from the crowd.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1