08/11/21 - Fargo, ND - FargoDome

alfierose

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

So...you don't like Absurd?

I got the joke, but let me just explain my little rant, ok?

I don't like their version of Wichita Lineman, I like how Axl sings it, but it's kinda pointless to me when this particular band does that song at every show. However, I still respect it because I can see heart, soul, musicianship and effort put into it. And I can totally see people digging their version because it is a great song and they perform it alright.

All that is not the case with Absurd. I'm not mad he's taking the piss at people hating it, what pisses me off is he's also taking the piss on people actually digging it too. Thing is he's no Andy Kaufman. He devaluates so much with this stupid little "song" and doesn't even see it. It's just sad. Music should connect people, not divide them. What have fans like me done to him to be slapped in the face with that "song"? I don't get it, I'm too stupid for that.

My little rant makes more sense with the Axl quotes I was refering to. I'm not the one talking out of my ass here - he is. Or maybe I am, too. Whatever, blame Axl. :lol:

5 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

All that is not the case with Absurd. I'm not mad he's taking the piss at people hating it, what pisses me off is he's also taking the piss on people actually digging it too.

I am kinda actually digging it but I don't get how he is taking the piss on me. Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I don't like their version of Wichita Lineman, I like how Axl sings it, but it's kinda pointless to me when this particular band does that song at every show. However, I still respect it because I can see heart, soul, musicianship and effort put into it. And I can totally see people digging their version because it is a great song and they perform it alright.

All that is not the case with Absurd. I'm not mad he's taking the piss at people hating it, what pisses me off is he's also taking the piss on people actually digging it too. Thing is he's no Andy Kaufman. He devaluates so much with this stupid little "song" and doesn't even see it. It's just sad. Music should connect people, not divide them. What have fans like me done to him to be slapped in the face with that "song"? I don't get it, I'm too stupid for that.

My little rant makes more sense with the Axl quotes I was refering to. I'm not the one talking out of my ass here - he is. Or maybe I am, too. Whatever, blame Axl. :lol:

“Music should connect people” That’s sounds more how you choose to interact with it, which is fine if that’s what you enjoy

I personally enjoy how this song causes an immediate reaction out of people one way or another. That can’t be said for a ton of songs that get released 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I am kinda actually digging it but I don't get how he is taking the piss on me. Care to elaborate?

He was pretty straight foward when he introduced the song the first time they played it as "Absurd", saying something like "they are not even in on the joke yet". Now I don't want to read too much into every little thing he says, but just for a second let's put the emphasis there on joke. If you like the song that's great, really. Maybe I just have a different sense of humour. Maybe I'm too spoiled from all those CD years and tours, but I think with Absurd he's really just trolling everyone.

17 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I get where you're coming from and it's weird and kinda provocative that they choose Absurd as the first "new" song, no doubt.

But really, I kinda dig exactly that - they're not playing it safe and I, and many others, appreciate that. And I really enjoy the song for all it's weirdness. Like others said, it's just a rock n roll band after all, lighten up a bit, man. :) and who knows what's next, maybe you'll be a lot happier with Guns soon? Cheers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

He was pretty straight foward when he introduced the song the first time they played it as "Absurd", saying something like "they are not even in on the joke yet". Now I don't want to read too much into every little thing he says, but just for a second let's put the emphasis there on joke. If you like the song that's great, really. Maybe I just have a different sense of humour. Maybe I'm too spoiled from all those CD years and tours, but I think with Absurd he's really just trolling everyone.

I know you said you don't want to read too much into it, but I think you are in this instance. He wasn't referring to the song itself as a joke. He meant the pun, and that the audience wouldn't yet understand the pun because they didn't know the song yet.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Why are they playing Wichita Lineman and the Seeker again?  Most people would like those two spots to be used for an actual Guns song.  How bout My Michelle, or Out Ta Get Me, or Locomotive, or Used to Love Her??  Or the obvious "hit" missing from the setlist Don't Cry.

Because he sounds good on those songs?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

I personally enjoy how this song causes an immediate reaction out of people one way or another. That can’t be said for a ton of songs that get released 

That's true. 20 years ago when this song was called Silkworms I didn't bother me at all, as it was being offered along with an entirely new lineup and came with a bunch of really good music like The Blues, Madagascar and Chinese Democracy. This time, it's a little different. If he'd done Hard School too, I'd just shrug off Absurd, but making this very song the first "new" single release after CD and after 5 years of touring the threeunion is the definition of artistic bankruptcy and it's one big slap in the face to the fans who stuck around and supported him when Slash wasn't in the band.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Why are they playing Wichita Lineman and the Seeker again?  Most people would like those two spots to be used for an actual Guns song.  How bout My Michelle, or Out Ta Get Me, or Locomotive, or Used to Love Her??  Or the obvious "hit" missing from the setlist Don't Cry.

yah, it's pretty fucking ridiculous they add two songs to this show and neither are Guns songs.  This band just doesn't get it.  However, I think Wichita was played b/c Glen Campbell's death was on August 8th (why they didn't play it on the 8th doesn't make sense), but OK, maybe that's reasonable....but why revive "The Seeker" for your "All New FnG Show".  SMH

2 minutes ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Because he sounds good on those songs?

Then they need to drop half the set lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

it's one big slap in the face to the fans who stuck around and supported him when Slash wasn't in the band.

How is it one big slap in my face?

You just can't wrap your head around the fact that some fans actually like this song, can you? :lol: You don't like it, and thus it is a bad, bad song, is that it?

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You just can't wrap your head around the fact that some fans actually like this song, can you? :lol: You don't like it, and thus it is a bad, bad song, is that it?

No, it's not. If he'd open a show with My World and play Abdurd right after, followed by a 20 minute piano jam and then some more country covers before they even begin to perform the "expected" music I'd be totaly digging that. It's all about context.

Edited by adamsapple

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

No, it's not. If he'd open a show with My World and play Abdurd right after, followed by a 20 minute piano jam and then some more country covers before they even begin to perform the "expected" music I'd be totaly digging that. It's all about context.

How is it a slap in my face? 

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

He didn't call the song a joke. The joke was using the title of the song in a sentence (paraphrasing: "It's sort of absurd we're gonna play this .... ha HA ha").  The song slaps.

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m going to disagree that the band is bad, they’re insanely tight right now. None of the musicians are the problem

I agree, they sound the better now than ever before. Wish we could've had this back in 2016.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Just watched the Nightrain from this show. While undoubtedly much improved (a great overall performance and a killer outro solo from Slash), some of what is happening with Axl's voice is still somewhat worrying to me. His approach to the verses was much better and sounded great. Dropping out on the first "I'm on the nightrain..." leading into the first chorus didn't seem intentional, but it kind of worked. Melissa and Duff join in there anyways so it sounds totally fine. I've said many times that he should take full advantage of having a second high voice there and use Melissa more.

My concern was mostly in the outro where some of it still sounds outright painful. Painful for him, that is. Then on the final "one... more... time... to... NIGHT" his voice just barely hangs out and he goes low on the "night."

Again, sounds kind of cool like that but I think this might be a song where they could drop it just one extra semitone and that might put it in a more comfortable performing space. Axl's range to now really hasn't been an issue, even during the height of Mickey vocals, but I think that could help out on this song in particular.

I don't think they need to drop the tuning more, he should just sing that part in his natural voice like he is on Better and some others. And Melissa can double it higher which would sound good together. They should just let her cover all the high stuff and Axl can go lower.

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Axl is the weak link right now. Frank is close second. I don’t even consider Dizzy or Melissa. 

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Frank but I have to say he's doing a lot better on this run. Finally seems to have properly locked in with Slash/Duff and the tempos are good now. Still not a fan of some of the fills etc but it's not as bad/sloppy as it was before.

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree, they sound the better now than ever before. Wish we could've had this back in 2016.

Just curious - who was bad in 2016? I know the tempos were sped up (I liked it on some songs, other songs not so much...) but, for the most part, I thought the band was pretty tight back then, too. Not the case?

2 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Just curious - who was bad in 2016? I know the tempos were sped up (I liked it on some songs, other songs not so much...) but, for the most part, I thought the band was pretty tight back then, too. Not the case?

Well Frank was all over the place and because of the fast tempos it was pretty sloppy overall. There's definitely a difference between that and how they sound now.