The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Disney having the worst year due to their support for indoctrinating our children into Trans / Homosexual perversion.

CNN+ fails after a $300 million cost of launching their service, not to mention their acquisition by Warner Media.

Oklahoma becomes the next state to ban abortions in the US. More to follow if the Supreme Court rewrites abortion laws or even overturns Roe v. Wade

Elon Musk attempts to buy Twitter and addresses their censorship of opposing views, which are mostly conservative.

States are asserting their authority over the Government by enacting their own laws to prevent the Biden Admin from destroying our county.

Joe Biden reaches all time low approval ratings. Due to high gas prices / inflation / border crisis / inaction of the military overseas. The list goes on...

It appears the Democrats are having a poor time doing anything right and it's showing. People are done with liberal policies and are fighting back. This November will be a changing of the guard. Disposing of the failed liberal policies of the left and starting a new. Things are happening. Slowly but surely!

Says the man who claimed Trump would still be in office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Things are shifting now. Don't count your chickens yet.

I am not counting any chickens, just pointing out that you are the guy who declared that Trump wouldn't lose the last election and when he did, that somehow he would be back in office after just a few months. So when it comes to political questions you have a history of being morally wrong....and just wrong.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not counting any chickens, just pointing out that you are the guy who declared that Trump wouldn't lose the last election and when he did, that somehow he would be back in office after just a few months. So when it comes to political questions you have a history of being morally wrong....and just wrong.

Interesting, considering nothing I said was wrong, just simply the facts. and facts only.

• Haha 2

There are reports that there will be a mass exodus of people leaving Twitter once Musk takes over.

We’ll see.

I think he’s fucked. Everyone loves the concept of no guard rails and zero limits on expression until weirdos show up at your kid’s funeral to protest gay marriage.  I’ve learned first hand that it’s a fantasy to believe that everyone wants to or should talk to everyone.  Eventually people will find their little corners to talk to one another. Similar to this forum, the idea that there should be one place for everyone is a fantasy. It doesn’t work in practice.  Reddit learned the same lesson.  We’re moving to an increasingly demarcated world.  The idea that there will be one platform for everyone is a very 1990s/2000s idea.  It turns out most people don’t want to put up with assholes who have no interest in genuine conversation. So the assholes will have their playground and everyone else will have theirs. 

• GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, downzy said:

There are reports that there will be a mass exodus of people leaving Twitter once Musk takes over.

We’ll see.

I think he’s fucked. Everyone loves the concept of no guard rails and zero limits on expression until weirdos show up at your kid’s funeral to protest gay marriage.  I’ve learned first hand that it’s a fantasy to believe that everyone wants to or should talk to everyone.  Eventually people will find their little corners to talk to one another. Similar to this forum, the idea that there should be one place for everyone is a fantasy. It doesn’t work in practice.  Reddit learned the same lesson.  We’re moving to an increasingly demarcated world.  The idea that there will be one platform for everyone is a very 1990s/2000s idea.  It turns out most people don’t want to put up with assholes who have no interest in genuine conversation. So the assholes will have their playground and everyone else will have theirs. 

So...separate but equal?

some people are more equal than others

opinions are only allowed, if they fit the narrative. dissenting opinions can not be tolerated, and are agressively removed.

mass media is continually infusing fear and anger in our society; fear of terrorists, climate change, racists, heterosexual white men, viruses, wars.

the proposed solution, is more control, more intolerance, more repression, and less dialogue, less face to face conversation, and less freedom of expression

All these points, are not characteristics of a dictatorship, but of totalitarism. Totalitarism is much worse than a dictatorship. Totalitarism creeps up in our private lives, it destroys bonds between friends and family. totalitarism is only interested in the relation to the state, not in relations between people.

the leader is not a dictator. A dictator does not really believe what he is preaching. A totalitarian does; the leader of a totalitarian state is, himself, a firm believer in their ideology. they want to conform reality to their ideology, as opposed to conforming their ideology to reality. Totalitarians really believe that what they are doing, is in the best interest of the people, since they firmly believe in their ideology themselves. To conform reality to their ideology, totalitarists show no restraints to make sure this happens. the individual in this model, is of total insignificance.

Edited by action

On 4/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Abortion should not be treated as contraception; if for no other reason, that's bad for the woman's health. Late term abortion shouldn't be allowed. And the extreme protester types who say things like "lol let's go kill some babies tehe" etc are fucking morons because that's horrible, inflammatory and counterintuitive.

All that being said, abortions are of course sadly sometimes necessary, especially if rape or incest is involved. People oppressing people's lives by pushing their moronic religious beliefs onto others is absolute bullshit. If I ever meet someone who thinks that's okay and supports women being locked up with these archaic, draconian, evil anti-abortion laws I will punch them in the mouth.

I'm a devout Catholic and I'm pretty much on board with everything you said. The pro life movement should focus on the late term abortions as well as other programs to dissuade women from an abortion when there isn't rape or incest or health issues involved.

22 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

So...separate but equal?

He's right in the sense that most people just want to discuss issues with people who more or less agree with them. I get it, but I think everyone of all political stripes needs to experience some cognitive dissonance every now and then. That's hard to do if you're in a political hugbox.

And yes people who just want to push people's buttons without ever earnestly discussing any ideas are just the worst and tend to ruin things for everyone.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Abortion should not be treated as contraception; if for no other reason, that's bad for the woman's health. Late term abortion shouldn't be allowed. And the extreme protester types who say things like "lol let's go kill some babies tehe" etc are fucking morons because that's horrible, inflammatory and counterintuitive.

Is anyone out there using late term abortion as contraception?

"Oh here lemme just carry this thing 7 months and say 'nah fuck this I'm out.'"

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Is anyone out there using late term abortion as contraception?

"Oh here lemme just carry this thing 7 months and say 'nah fuck this I'm out.'"

I don't know how common they are or the reasons generally stated are. I'm against them on principle and think they should be very, very rare.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:27 PM, 31illusions said:

Disney having the worst year due to their support for indoctrinating our children into Trans / Homosexual perversion.

That's crazier than ANYTHING Pele has ever written. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I don't know how common they are or the reasons generally stated are. I'm against them on principle and think they should be very, very rare.

They should be very, very, rare. Key point to them being rare, is they still have to be legal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'm saying it's a little obnoxious to agree with a misinterpretation.

Okay. I was just agreeing with the notion that no one is using late stage abortion as contraception, irrespective of what prompted the post. If you were misunderstood, great! *thumbs up*

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Ugh. I thought what I said was so inoffensive and clear that people taking issue with it must surely be doing so just to try and piss me off lol. But now Dazey, who I respect and is a friend of mine, agrees with that post too so I'll suspend my disbelief and clarify things.

There, I've put a little more energy into a post, something I often can't be bothered - and shouldn't be expected - to do these days. Can I get another thumbs up now massa? :lol:

Excellent! *thumbs up*

On 4/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, 31illusions said:

Things are shifting now. Don't count your chickens yet.

The shift has begun.

A leaked document posted by Politico shows the Supreme court has voted to end abortion and overturn Roe v. Wade. Thank God!

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

I think this might be a case of careful what you wish for with Republicans.

Most Americans want a legal form of abortion (to a certain point).

This could upend mid-term and future races that make electing pro-life Republicans increasingly difficult in any district or state that isn't diehard Christian conservative.  The impact of this decision will reverberate politically for decades to come.  

• Like 1