Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

bca_infograph.png

But Soul knows better!

Yes, I do. Or rather, those who have looked at mammography and its efficacy do :)

Abolishing Mammography Screening Programs? A View from the Swiss Medical Board

Vast Study Casts Doubts on Value of Mammograms

A Systematic Assessment of Benefits and Risks to Guide Breast Cancer Screening Decisions

Maybe I should start communicating with you in colorful posters with simple headlines? Level down. I mean, how on earth can I think I can get through to you with actual scientific results when I am up against such stiff competition? :lol:

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ad hominems as per usual.

This is literally contrary to every cancer advice espoused, which advocates early detection before the spread as the best source for successful treatment. Heck, go into any GP surgery, clinic or hospital and you can pick up bundles of leaflets explaining as such, i.e., getting men to get the old ''finger up the arse''. 

You just want a pokey bum wank off your doctor. :lol: 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

They are posters from the NHS, MammographySavesLives, American Cancer Society and Cancer Research UK. Statistics are provided. Surveys have been conducted. 

How odd then that the scientific studies I have cited argues that mammography isn't doing much good :) 

In short, the pendulum is swinging and the trend where mammography screening is recommended less and less, will likely continue. It has gone from recommended every year to just every second year, and so on. Because more and more data is coming in showing us that it isn't as efficient as we thought. There will always be a lag here, and I wouldn't expect mammography as a routine screening method offered to every women over 50, to disappear in at least 10 years - and that is under the premise that the method's efficacy isn't improved.

Isn't it funny how your stupid outburst against COVID-19 restrictions could end up with actual information being shared? I guess your trolling failed. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

To my mind thats not saying ignore science completely, its saying that all concerns during this pandemic cannot be approached or solved scientically.  Science can give answers in terms of the illness itself, yes but not necessarily in the approach to it.  For example, take herd immunity, it'd probably work y'know, its just that you'll end up writing off a lot of elderly and infirmed people.  Now practically speaking, perhaps even economically, it'd be the beneficial thing to do.  Morally however it is abhorrant.  If one were to take a clinical approach though herd immunity is probably a good approach.  You could keep all shops/business and shit running, people could just catch it en masse, let it spread and get out there, the young strong fit and healthy survive, the economy doesn't take too much of a knock...and the elderly and infirmed, well, collateral damage right?  Are their lives worth a global economic crisis that will potentially fuck the lives of a lot of people, including their own during this pandemic?  A bunch of people'd catch it, get over it in 10 days or however long it took and we could've avoided all this unpleasantness we're going through.  Thats a broad example and I know I'm not talking specifically about science throughout but I'm sure the basic principle I'm trying to express is understood.  Thats what I took Dies' to be meaning anyway, perhaps I'm wrong. 

That is one way to look at it. The amount of people that would die makes it unacceptable imo, though. It isn't just older people and people with conditions (which is a zillion people, anyways). A lot of young and healthy people would still die because of the sheer numbers, hospitals and healthcare workers would be obliterated by the work load and lack of safety, and we would not be able to keep up as a society. Our culture is not built for that. There are also just too many people for this to burn itself out through "herd immunity". There are 7.5 billion people on the planet. It would potentially take years for this thing to burn itself out so it isn't like we just take a hit as a population, accept millions of dead people, and go about our lives. 

I truly believe a viable vaccine and treatments are coming. Maybe I am naive, but it gives me hope that there has never been a global effort like this in modern history to squash something so quickly. There are so many promising trials and studies already occurring and we aren't even a year into the pandemic, I would be so shocked if we don't get something sooner than later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

How odd then that the scientific studies I have cited argues that mammography isn't doing much good :) 

In short, the pendulum is swinging and the trend where mammography screening is recommended less and less, will likely continue. It has gone from recommended every year to just every second year, and so on. Because more and more data is coming in showing us that it isn't as efficient as we thought. There will always be a lag here, and I wouldn't expect mammography as a routine screening method offered to every women over 50, to disappear in at least 10 years - and that is under the premise that the method's efficacy isn't improved.

Isn't it funny how your stupid outburst against COVID-19 restrictions could end up with actual information being shared? I guess your trolling failed. 

The problem is you don't actually know much about medical science. You pretend that you know a lot and certainly speak pompously about the subject, but you have been incorrect about just about everything there is pertaining to corona, flip-flopping on face masks and underestimating the virus. 

So nope, I will stick to credible medical bodies and health organisations for scientific advice and not ''self-elected scientists'' speaking on hair rock forums. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I truly believe a viable vaccine and treatments are coming. Maybe I am naive, but it gives me hope that there has never been a global effort like this in modern history to squash something so quickly. There are so many promising trials and studies already occurring and we aren't even a year into the pandemic, I would be so shocked if we don't get something sooner than later. 

They already have, which is why the death ratio has been much lower during the second wave than during the first wave. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They already have, which is why the death ratio has been much lower during the second wave than during the first wave. 

The main second wave is unfortunately about to begin, I don't think treatments are where we need them to be yet but they have certainly improved. 

Hopefully the Regeneron treatment is approved sooner than later

5 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I've drunk so much booze since the first lockdown I've probably pushed myself into an at risk category.

Just theorise the drinking as a different way of administrating the 70% alcohol hand stuff. 

Just now, soon said:

My GP is sexy and stacked like a brick house. If I had to get tested I'd be blushing. I mean, I'd just hope blushing was the only involuntary reaction! :lol:

''I have something wrong with my knob doc - can you look?''. 

• Haha 1

The plan of the government here was to achieve herd immunity but they changed their minds on that quickly when there wasn't enough room in intensive care units anymore and they had to start relying on hospitals abroad. Also, recent studies have shown that 95% still suffer from health issues 6 months later, stating that it's merely a flu is undermining how serious this is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, soon said:

My friend had hers removed due to Cancer. They were real and they were spectacular!

So, get tested ladies. Those things are ticking time-bags!

So true, Soon. My mom had breast cancer due to her estrogeon levels after menopause. So important to get a mammo every year. It saved her life. She goes every year and so do I. So very important.

And men should get the prostrate blood test too. 

And a colon test too. These are very important tests for anyone over 40 and some younger since these diseases seem to be attacking younger people now. That sucks.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I was watching the View today and those ladies thing Trump never had covid 19 since no one else has gotten better in 4 days. Either he was lying or he got some great medicines that no normal people can get. I know from people who have had the virus that by day 7 you either get better or worse. And usually most people have to stay inside their homes for 2 or more weeks. Sometimes as much as 4 weeks, so what gives with Trump? Is there a treatment out there for just him?

I'm beginning to think this whole Trump virus was a lie and if it is what a fucked up thing to do.

• Like 1

Things are blowing up again in Europe and it doesn’t look great in Canada either. Not a huge surprise with dropping temperatures and covid exhaustion we’re seeing a dramatic increase in rates. It’s interesting to see how in the US the most northern states are seeing crushing case numbers as they are the first to feel dropping temperatures. This does not bode well for the rest of the country save maybe for the very southern states as people begin spending more time inside. 

Numbers are up all over the US and Trump had another rally in Florida with the gov and a mayor. No masks were worn.

Whatever drugs the doctors gave Trump must be super shit. I wonder if there'll be side effects?

Can't wait until this election is over so tired of all the candidates calling my house to get my vote. lol

Whoever wins has a huge job to take on and I'm pretty sure the covid 19 will run rampart this fall and winter.

15 hours ago, downzy said:

Things are blowing up again in Europe and it doesn’t look great in Canada either. Not a huge surprise with dropping temperatures and covid exhaustion we’re seeing a dramatic increase in rates. It’s interesting to see how in the US the most northern states are seeing crushing case numbers as they are the first to feel dropping temperatures. This does not bode well for the rest of the country save maybe for the very southern states as people begin spending more time inside. 

Wow! I thought Canada was doing well. I know many US shows are filming there maybe that's one of the problems. 

Just when you think some countries get a handle on it, it comes around again. I just think it lies in wait and then gets you.