DJ said Bucket didn't fit GNR... pile on in 3. 2. 1

21 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I'm sure he's not giving a flying fuck! 🤣 Let's be honest here... there's nobody talking about us on a public forum. He'll have a pretty good lifestyle, will have a pretty hot woman, and a few coppers in the bank... he lives a life we would likely take in a heartbeat.  

Not really. I'd love to be a professional musician but I wouldn't wanna be DJ Ashba for all the money in the world tbh. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

Not really. I'd love to be a professional musician but I wouldn't wanna be DJ Ashba for all the money in the world tbh. 

Suuuuuuuuuuure!!! 🤣🤣 I'm sure posting on an Internet forum more than makes up for it! 🤣 

8 hours ago, downzy said:

Bingo.

There were aspects of DJ that I didn't hate.  He seemed like he cared about making GNR a better band (though, maybe not enough to learn his parts well enough).  But the incessant and transparent posing really did him in. 

So much of DJ feels like an act.

Would agree with that assessment.

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Suuuuuuuuuuure!!! 🤣🤣 I'm sure posting on an Internet forum more than makes up for it! 🤣 

Fuck you. You know nothing about me or my life. I do not aspire to be a crappy musician that people laugh at. If you think he's living the dream goody for you, but being shit at what you do is not something I envy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner Gilby said:

To be honest just bits and pieces. The fact that there's so many albums is a bit overwhelming. But I fully acknowledge the guys talent. Just hard to take him seriously with that look.

Forget the look then. It’s all about the music! Pop stars might look good but usually sound like shit. 

Check out:

Monsters and Robots

Elephant Man’s Alarm Clock

Colma

Praxis - Transmutation 

They will get you going 👍

20 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Remember the nunchaku thing on RIR? Bucket was cool as fuck

Fixed it for you 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Fuck you. You know nothing about me or my life. I do not aspire to be a crappy musician that people laugh at. If you think he's living the dream goody for you, but being shit at what you do is not something I envy.

Hey baby boo, it's all subjective! 🤣 What one person deems shit, another deems brilliant <spoiler alert>. Like I said... I am sure he'll not be caring one jot that somebody on an internet forum thinks he is shit when he likely lives a better life than you and I with a load of dough in the bank. Plus, ya seen his wife! Ooooft. He's got cringe factor for sure, I'll give you that.

34 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Robin Finck is my fav guitar player in GNR of all time.

Second, is Paul Tobias by a country mile.

That Buckethead was crappy as hell. Some solos are good enough but I can't listen to his solo work; it's so strange, crappy and weird as hell.

But DJ Ashba was the worst of all time. He should just shut up.

Bucket fit the band at the time, the weird 2002 vibe of the band and all that. Cant imagine him in the 2006 or 09 era though, shame we never got to see him do the TWAT solo.

23 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Hey baby boo, it's all subjective! 🤣 What one person deems shit, another deems brilliant <spoiler alert>. Like I said... I am sure he'll not be caring one jot that somebody on an internet forum thinks he is shit when he likely lives a better life than you and I with a load of dough in the bank. Plus, ya seen his wife! Ooooft. He's got cringe factor for sure, I'll give you that.

so what if he doesn't care and has money? we're doing what we're supposed to do which is discuss Gn'R/DJ as he was sadly a part of it. No need to be a dick about it, friend.

Feel like I've stumbled onto a people.com forum.  I come to music forums to discuss music and the musicians who make it.  Could give a toss about his wife or his bank account.

According to this shallow outlook, I can't criticize Manchester United when they give up a goal too many or make bad transfers, because I don't actual play football, don't have an instagram model wife, and every footballer has a larger bank account.

Based on my internal logic, Buckethead made a jazz album with Tony fucking Williams, who drummed for Miles Davis' mid-60s quintet, one of the greatest ensembles of all-time.

He "wins."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

so what if he doesn't care and has money? we're doing what we're supposed to do which is discuss Gn'R/DJ as he was sadly a part of it. No need to be a dick about it, friend.

I'm not the one chucking insults around... and yet I get called a dick!? Jesus. 

I got used to the Bucket and the nunchucks... probably because Bucket is an insane guitarist. He's really good and has written great music for Guns.

I also liked Bumblefoot. Less for his guitar playing, but he seemed like a nice guy who connected with the audience. He brought Don't Cry back into the setlist.

But what has Ashba achieved really?

And of course Slash is still the best fit for Guns, always has been. Richard Fortus is great as well (as long as we don't have Izzy).

2 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Feel like I've stumbled onto a people.com forum.  I come to music forums to discuss music and the musicians who make it.  Could give a toss about his wife or his bank account.

According to this shallow outlook, I can't criticize Manchester United when they give up a goal too many or make bad transfers, because I don't actual play football, don't have an instagram model wife, and every footballer has a larger bank account.

Based on my internal logic, Buckethead made a jazz album with Tony fucking Williams, who drummed for Miles Davis' mid-60s quintet, one of the greatest ensembles of all-time.

He "wins."

No, that's not what I was saying at all. It's of course possible to not like what somebody does. But when you start saying they are nothing or completely shit just because you don't like it... then hang on a second that's purely subjective. It doesn't make it a fact. And on the topic of football you often hear football fans saying so and so is shit... yet that so and so has a professional contract and the fan doesn't.

20 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

No, that's not what I was saying at all. It's of course possible to not like what somebody does. But when you start saying they are nothing or completely shit just because you don't like it... then hang on a second that's purely subjective. It doesn't make it a fact. And on the topic of football you often hear football fans saying so and so is shit... yet that so and so has a professional contract and the fan doesn't.

Please don't start using "facts" as the barometer of what's acceptable to discuss around here.  Take a look around. LOL

We're posting on a fan forum.  Everyone's take is subjective.

I think you're maybe intellectually cheating a bit, and aren't acknowledging what the word "fan" is the shortened version of.

These things are all part and parcel of being a fan(atic), to many folks.

Should I append every one of my posts with, "but, he's played guitar on stage at a professional level and I haven't?"  Of course not!

I feel like we all understand that we're talking about folks who have achieved a certain level in their given fields beyond what most humans have or will.

Doesn't mean they're beyond reproach.

Edited by oneway23

20 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I'm not the one chucking insults around... and yet I get called a dick!? Jesus. 

imo, dick behavior: belittling a fan on a band forum for their negative opinion about a former band member and implying their opinion doesn't matter cause they're not rich rockstars. The comparison is not even relevant to the discussion as one thing has nothing to do with the other. You can't say shit like that cause you don't even know the person you're mocking for being "just" a fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Please don't start using "facts" as the barometer of what's acceptable to discuss around here.  Take a look around. LOL

We're posting on a fan forum.  Everyone's take is subjective.

I think you're maybe intellectually cheating a bit, and aren't acknowledging what the word "fan" is the shortened version of.

These things are all part and parcel of being a fan(atic), to many folks.

Should I append every one of my posts with, "but, he's played guitar on stage at a professional level and I haven't?"  Of course not!

I feel like we all understand that we're talking about folks who have achieved a certain level in their given fields beyond what most humans have or will.

Doesn't mean they're beyond reproach.

A sensible response, and agree with your final comment 100%. :) Perhaps not suited for this type of forum! There's a reason I don't use social media, and the same rule possibly applies here! Despite being a Man U fan, you've defo made me think! <that is a joke before anybody start fizzing> Cheers pal! :)

12 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

A sensible response, and agree with your final comment 100%. :) Perhaps not suited for this type of forum! There's a reason I don't use social media, and the same rule possibly applies here! Despite being a Man U fan, you've defo made me think! <that is a joke before anybody start fizzing> Cheers pal! :)

You're definitely suited for this forum, friend...You're dealing with a mess of personalities and outlooks, and yours is among them.

We just roll with the punches

Please, stay a while!

As for that Man U comment, I'll take it in stride ;)

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

10000%. This is my main reason I want the CD vault to be emptied to make up for that missed opportunity.

Completely agreed. It will hurt because it will also give me a "what might have been" feeling, but I'm still dying to hear it. I'm especially craving the heavier stuff they would have come up with. 

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Forget the look then. It’s all about the music! Pop stars might look good but usually sound like shit. 

Check out:

Monsters and Robots

Elephant Man’s Alarm Clock

Colma

Praxis - Transmutation 

They will get you going 👍

Fixed it for you 👍

I will throw in:

Electric Tears

Electric Sea

Shadows Between The Sky

Population Override

And the new(er) Healing Inside Outside Every Side

• Like 1

Population Override is so freaking great!

I'll also throw in Island of Lost Minds & Inbred Mountain from the same period, plus, the Praxis albums Sacrifist & Metatron, which, while not involving Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell from P-Funk (as Transmutation did), do feature Bucket, Brain, and Bill Laswell.

Happy discovery