DJ said Bucket didn't fit GNR... pile on in 3. 2. 1

I don’t think Bucket could emotionally handle being in a global rock band and the demands of it. I do think Axl should have apologized publicly after his shitty press release about Bucket. Bucket never once used GNR to raise his status or brand at all. Even to this both DJ and Ron will say former Guns N Roses guitarist in ads. I think Gilby does as well.  

I'm glad Bucket left; gave him more time to put his own music out and tour.  As for DJ Ashba- I could walk into Union Square right now and hear a better guitar player. I saw him at the UCAP Terminal 5 gig , and it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen; I actually walked out half way through.  He sucks.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, Voodoochild said:

I remember something about that too, but not that I actually read the BH forum at that time. Didn't Axl himself said something about that on the forum chat? 

As far as I know, the whole public backlash (Axl's letter after the RIR-Lisbon cancelation) made everything worse, but the fact is that their relationship wasn't good by that time because of the lack of communication, proper work and even the work ethics behind the band members and management.

Yeah, they kinda hate GNR. 

It's like his superfans who can actually shred just like him on YouTube. They can play the most insane stuff, but they didn't even attempt to try something else besides TWAT. I know because when I recorded Better including Bucket's stuff (even though I had some shortcuts), it was like the only video on YouTube to actually attempt to do everything he did.

That show in 2004 was never going to happen regardless of bucket. Nothing was ready to go, the band was on hiatus and axl wasn't ready to come back in 2004 and tour. Especially not for a one off show. 

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

That show in 2004 was never going to happen regardless of bucket. Nothing was ready to go, the band was on hiatus and axl wasn't ready to come back in 2004 and tour. Especially not for a one off show. 

I think you quoted the wrong person. I didn't say anything in particular to that 2004 show, only that Axl's press release was very disrespectful towards Bucket.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, Bluefish18 said:

I'm glad Bucket left; gave him more time to put his own music out and tour.  As for DJ Ashba- I could walk into Union Square right now and hear a better guitar player. I saw him at the UCAP Terminal 5 gig , and it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen; I actually walked out half way through.  He sucks.

Exactly.  Regardless of Rose apologizing or not - he was never gonna write/record he songs that was gonna make the band a relative entity.

He is still tinkering with the same batch of songs from 25 years ago.  Still re-recording them.

Buckethead has released about 2000 songs since then.  I'm not even a fan, but I'd say every last one of them is probably better than Silkworms.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, rumandraisin said:

I always thought it was odd they only had one show booked that year without a warm up gig beforehand. I think Buckethead could handle being in a huge rock band just fine. I think it just became extremely stifling creatively, especially for someone as prolific as him.

18 hours ago, mystery said:

I always thought it was odd they only had one show booked that year without a warm up gig beforehand. I think Buckethead could handle being in a huge rock band just fine. I think it just became extremely stifling creatively, especially for someone as prolific as him.

I do not think a huge rock band would have ever been his thing to be honest. I think the GN'R experience made him realize he is happier being a niche performer who can do things exactly his way, and to be fair, he's made a great career of it. I do believe he would have come to the same conclusion no matter how professional and consistent the band, but I do have to imagine it was a culture shock to be in Guns N' Roses from 2000-2002; possibly the most chaotic period of the band in terms of uncertainty. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I do not think a huge rock band would have ever been his thing to be honest. I think the GN'R experience made him realize he is happier being a niche performer who can do things exactly his way, and to be fair, he's made a great career of it. I do believe he would have come to the same conclusion no matter how professional and consistent the band, but I do have to imagine it was a culture shock to be in Guns N' Roses from 2000-2002; possibly the most chaotic period of the band in terms of uncertainty. 

I agree that even if the band was more active Buckethead would've likely left at a certain point. I think Axl really sold him on the opportunity and he must've thought at the beginning that he could make a difference while adding his own style to the band. 

9 minutes ago, mystery said:

I agree that even if the band was more active Buckethead would've likely left at a certain point. I think Axl really sold him on the opportunity and he must've thought at the beginning that he could make a difference while adding his own style to the band. 

I think Brain said that Bucket thought Axl was just going to sing over the songs he came up with

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think Brain said that Bucket thought Axl was just going to sing over the songs he came up with

It wouldn't have been a bad idea but I think that's the experience of a mostly solo artist talking. Things are different when you're in a band that's fighting to get their music heard and recorded. Especially Nu Guns which was essentially a supergroup of guys with different histories and backgrounds.

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think that could have gone really well, seeing how tracks like Sorry turned out, as well as what Bucket did with albums like Enter the Chicken, Profanation, Cornbugs, Science Faxtion, etc.

Clearly Chinese 2 was going to be very Bucket-focused, and the rest of the band wasn't having it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Honestly would not be surprised if DJ Asbha just brought this up again since he saw it gained some minor traction with rock journalists the first time. While there are legitimate criticisms to be leveled against his skill as a guitarist, I imagine what continues to rub many the wrong way about him was his seemingly unending attempts to attract attention tohimself. He acts like a teenage girl when it comes to his social media presence. Part of the appeal of literally every other member of Guns N' Roses was that they just kind of did their own thing and at least kept the appearance of not trying to force the media to pay attention. 

All being said, I did enjoy the version of "Bella Ciao" he released a few months ago, but the two single before that were horrifyingly terrible. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs