Slash says what happened with the GN'R name is a "dead issue" (WSJ interview)

5 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

It's pretty self-explanatory. Slash made moves regarding old tour footage, completely unrelated to any potential reunion, then Axl made the first move about a reunion – as he said in the Globo interview.

Everything lines up and makes sense, we now just have the added detail of now knowing Slash had already been asking the camp about the UYI footage before Axl brought up the idea of getting back together

I’d say slash’s first contact would of been for the “made in stoke” DVD as he would of needed approval to release the GNR songs officially 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonah said:

I’d say slash’s first contact would of been for the “made in stoke” DVD as he would of needed approval to release the GNR songs officially 

Doesn't matter, Axl still made the first move with regards to getting back together

Edited by DoMw94

1 hour ago, jonah said:

Yeah chronologically it pre-dates all else and I could see that sort of being the olive branch extension of letting Slash have the rights to include GNR tunes, Slash letting some things in GNR land go through (Appetite for Democracy) that sort of pre-thawed the ice for the 2015 phone call

Edited by WhazUp

7 hours ago, Gibson87 said:

They should take the UYI footage and do what Metallica did with their old shows- upload all of them and charge a small subscription fee for access to all the shows. 

I've often wondered why streaming services having done something like this, have a music section to Netflix or whatever which is live shows authorised by artists. 

Or Spotify bolt on to an existing infrastructure platform that provides live shows streamed, both pre recorded stuff from years past, their Spotify live stuff, etc etc. 

Seems like a missed opportunity, live shows gets loads of views on youtube. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Thanks Blackstar for bring this up. Since I work at Bloomberg, I have access to the Wall Street Journal through the Bloomberg Terminal.  Unfortunately, I can't post the article since the article is on the Bloomberg Terminal. One of the most interesting things in that article is how Slash  blames himself for exacerbating the issues by publicly venting about GNR in the 2000s. Slash also stated that he was extremely arrogant at the time.  It sounds like he has matured just like Axl has.  

Yes, that part is interesting, too, although Slash has mentioned before that he had lashed out against Axl in his interviews during the VR era, which he hadn't done before. I don't think, though, this is totally accurate. Maybe he doesn't have a good recollection of the Snakepit era and what he said then, but he didn't vent so much more in the VR era. 

Don't worry about not being able to post the article - I have a link to it at a-4-d in the OP :)

• Like 1

The documentary crew was the same that did the Making of videos, so I suppose it would have had the same logic and structure.

Slash talked about the footage in one of the interviews he did 2-3 years ago and said they would need to hire someone to help edit it, so I suppose they probably didn't finish it back in the 90s.

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The documentary crew was the same that did the Making of videos, so I suppose it would have had the same logic and structure.

Slash talked about the footage in one of the interviews he did 2-3 years ago and said they would need to hire someone to help edit it, so I suppose they probably didn't finish it back in the 90s.

Still, Marc claims he saw a trailer for it back in the days.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Still, Marc claims he saw a trailer for it back in the days.

Maybe they planned for it to be a series or something? Or maybe Slash doesn't remember they had edited it.

Here is the quote:

Slash: I think we have a lot of concert footage from the 90's in the can, like 24/7 footage from 1991 to 1994 of just every day on the road with Guns N’ Roses, and it’s been sitting in a vault for years. I would love for that to be edited at one point and put out. So we’ll see if that ever happens.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3818-2019-04-05-futuro-88-9-fm-chile-interview-with-slash

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe Slash thinks it needs to be reedited now to sort of make it more modern looking or current? It is probably more than 20 years since Marc saw the trailer. It could be that that version is a bit dated production- or content-wise.

Yeah I imagine they would want to redo it, plus it's probably been years since any of those guys have seen that footage. If they released it in the future it would be cool to have interviews with the guys now looking back on it (including Gilby and Matt).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe Slash thinks it needs to be reedited now to sort of make it more modern looking or current? It is probably more than 20 years since Marc saw the trailer. It could be that that version is a bit dated production- or content-wise.

Yes, that could be it. And maybe that Slash would want to include more footage.

In regards to Axl, it's likely that Stephanie Seymour was featured in some scenes, so maybe that was an additional reason it was buried.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pele said:

We are all about to find out what this 'bunch of material is (or more importantly, isn't)

Does it matter either way what it is or it isn't beyond wining random arguments you have regarding the year 1999 on online forums though?

23 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

I've often wondered why streaming services having done something like this, have a music section to Netflix or whatever which is live shows authorised by artists. 

Or Spotify bolt on to an existing infrastructure platform that provides live shows streamed, both pre recorded stuff from years past, their Spotify live stuff, etc etc. 

Seems like a missed opportunity, live shows gets loads of views on youtube. 

I don't have Apple Music (I use Spotify), but when I did, there were some live performances/videos on there for artists. I know Juice WRLD had some. It was pretty dope. But also a messy UI. Apple is sort of all over the place with their music app. So is Spotify though. It's not as easy as it should be to see chronological list of releases and what's new.

Edit: YouTube Premium tries to also blend music and videos, but again, it's a weird UI. Google has a YouTube app and a music app, and you can use either interchangeably. And for the longest time they also had Play. IMO, none of the streamers have gotten it right.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, 31illusions said:

I assume the reunion was financially inspired. I'm sure touring stadiums pays more than a new album any day.

Yes, but if that's true, it's proof-positive that GNR as a band are no longer artists. Do you know how many bands still make records? Everyone from AC/DC and the Scorpions, to modern bands like The Lumineers. They're all churning them out. And do you know why? Because for an artist, making art is akin to breathing. So if modern GNR were still artists, and not just businessmen, they would have released one or even two records of brand new music (not old CD stuff) by now. But they haven't... and that pretty says it all. They're sadly here for the paycheck and playing live. That's it.

And that's real fuckin' bummer.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nintari said:

Yes, but if that's true, it's proof-positive that GNR as a band are no longer artists. Do you know how many bands still make records? Everyone from AC/DC and the Scorpions, to modern bands like The Lumineers. They're all churning them out. And do you know why? Because for an artist, making art is akin to breathing. So if modern GNR were still artists, and not just businessmen, they would have released one or even two records of brand new music (not old CD stuff) by now. But they haven't... and that pretty says it all. They're sadly here for the paycheck and playing live. That's it.

That's one way to look at. I'm not a fan so far of what they've released! But if they or even just Axl believe in it then that to me says it's a true artistic statement. As slapped together as this record might be, it could be worse. 

Of course I would prefer music that was more current, and music that I enjoy but if Axl still loves these songs and wants them out why would be abandon them to start from scratch?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nintari said:

The music and artistic industry has changed for many different reasons. 

No point in releasing an album when no one buys albums anymore and touring is the main stay for any recording artist. 

Record labels no longer hold the power they once did and don't have the financial resources to sign artists to large record deals as in the past. 

Guns N Roses will never receive a record deal in financial size and scope as the one CD was built on. 

Tour promotors hold all the power and can offer bands more financially to tour locally and around the world.

These guys aren't in the 80s and 90s anymore nor is the music industry. 

The band is operating within the supply and demand for touring and playing live that's is the common factor in the music industry of today and via selling albums. 

Touring,merchandise and other revenue streams filles the hole left due to album sales being poor in today's music industry compared to the past when album sales made an artist money and touring revenue was icing on the cake. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 3