Axl Speaks- 22 years ago today (Feb 3, 2000)

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

I forgot how much he went out of his way to bury the old band every chance he got.

I do find it strange reading his such strong opinions about Slash knowing that he has been playing with him for 6 years now lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Original said:

I remember the anticipation of reading this.  It was the 1st we'd heard from Axl in years.    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-speaks-238599/amp/

As someone else pointed out, he also did an interview with Kurt Loder (November 8, 1999): (44) 1999.11.08 - MTV - Axl Rose: A conversation with Kurt Loder (a-4-d.com)

Prior to that he sent out a statement regarding Oh My God (September 22, 1999): (44) 1999.09.22 - Rolling Stone - Axl Speaks Out! (Statement on "Oh My God") (a-4-d.com)

And he had also praised KNAC (January 19, 2000): (44) 2000.01.19 - KNAC.COM - Axl Rose Gives Kudos To KNAC.COM (a-4-d.com)

Then came the interview with Rolling Stone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As someone else pointed out, he also did an interview with Kurt Loder (November 8, 1999): (44) 1999.11.08 - MTV - Axl Rose: A conversation with Kurt Loder (a-4-d.com)

Prior to that he sent out a statement regarding Oh My God (September 22, 1999): (44) 1999.09.22 - Rolling Stone - Axl Speaks Out! (Statement on "Oh My God") (a-4-d.com)

And he had also praised KNAC (January 19, 2000): (44) 2000.01.19 - KNAC.COM - Axl Rose Gives Kudos To KNAC.COM (a-4-d.com)

Then came the interview with Rolling Stone. 

You have a encyclopedic mind.

Re-read everything again, it’s clear and apparent that Axl was not in a good place at all mentally. Especially the end quote in the RS article, really sad stuff.

Thank the rock gods the album came out in some form eventually, but what a terrible period of misinformation and vagueness to be a fan. The press releases were cringeworthy so in some ways the whole reunion silence is really quite fitting in hindsight. Would rather no statements at all compared with the absolute rubbish Axl was talking in prepared and interviewed form back in those days.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:01 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

Should listen to the interview Appetite for Distortion did with the man who conducted the interview. He provides some interesting background and insight into things that did not make the interview. 

Just did. Very interesting interview. Hope he comes back on soon, @Gambit83

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:14 PM, moreblack said:

I forgot how much he went out of his way to bury the old band every chance he got.

This is an interesting take. Axl rarely gave interviews and rarely defended himself against the accusations of his then-former bandmates. I wouldn't necessarily call this interview Axl's attempts to "bury" Slash or Duff. I'm certain Rolling Stone asked him about his bandmates, and considering this was his first (edit: or second) lengthy interview in years, Axl was uncharacteristically candid.

Slash even stated as recently as this past month that he regrets venting publicly when promoting projects like Velvet Revolver. "I remember being extremely arrogant, for the longest time," Slash said, also adding that he believes his comments "exacerbated any kind of issues that we had. And I take the blame for that."

Edited by GnR Chris

On 2/3/2022 at 4:01 PM, rocknroll41 said:

He actually did a phone interview with Kurt Loder a few months before this, in late 1999, but aside from that yeah this was his first interview of any kind since January 1994. I wonder what it must’ve been like for fans back then. The dark times…

I think it's referenced that this interview was right around the same time as the Kurt Loder interview in November 1999, might have been a week or two after. Would've been great if Axl allowed pics of himself in the magazine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

It was relentless at one point. I found it interesting that we were supposed to move on from old GNR when he so obviously hadn’t.

I think part of Axl was genuinely hurt when those guys left but he knew he had to carry on. He never actually fired any of them with the exception of Gilby Clarke who he kind of made amends with in June 2000 a few months after this interview came out. You could say Matt Sorum too but he clearly had enough and basically goaded Axl into firing him.