New Slash Interview (Rolling Stone)

1 hour ago, betterman said:

Maybe, but Slash has said before that they havent written any new songs together yet. So I guess the new stuff is new singles based on Axl demos

Maybe, but then what would be the difference between "release another song and then another" and "also new stuff" when it's supposedly all from one basket? You may be right, of course. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I am pretty sure that with "new music" Slash was referring to old material originating from the Chinese sessions. With Slash's and Duff's input it will be "new music" released by GN'R, even if the songs themselves are old, because they have never been released before (some of them might have leaked, though, but I doubt Slash takes that into consideration when talking about them).

If you think Axl and Slash will come together and write brand new music and that this will be released at some time, then I am afraid you will be disappointed. It likely won't happen. There is no evidence suggesting Axl is interested in that and it seems hard enough for him to even release the music that is already finished, let alone start the work on creative brand new music. Keep in mind, it took him 25 years or so to release Hard Skool. He won't start that process again now, I am sure, and if he does, it likely won't see the light of day.

Nor should you *need* to get such music to "see where they stand as a band". It is very clear where the band stands. Except for releasing the occasional Chinese Democracy leftover, they are a nostalgia act. And a bloody good one at that. The fact that they even work on releasing remaining songs from the Chinese period is fantastic. That's a lot more than I expected. 

Am I curious as to what a newly written song from Slash and Axl would sound like? Yes, of course. But I don't need to hear it nor do they need to make it. I find it about as likely as hearing a brand new song from Lennon and McCarthy. 

While these points are alright, it still doesn't prevent them from just jamming and creating something new in a studio, just like that. A song or two, why not. I keep saying that even though Slash uses his own approach to the CD songs (as he said) and thus projects his own persona ino them, it's still not his own songs from the scratch (melodies, ideas), and he did say years ago he'd worked on stuff for Guns (maybe derived from just Axl's older lyrics, but without having heard the original demos?). I imagine he'd want to come up with some tunes on his own as well. We'll see. :) 

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

He clearly said they haven't worked on any brand new stuff just a couple of months ago. By new stuff he's clearly talking about other CD era tracks. It's clear you're going to hold on to this delusion right until the end though, so whatever.

I wouldn't call it a delusion. Just hope. It's not impossible, I'm not holding onto it, and I'm definitely not one of those who'd categorically stick to some rigid claims etc. It's just that all these things could happen. They're taking their time, and anything is possible, that's all.  :axl:

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I wouldn't call it a delusion. Just hope. It's not impossible, I'm not holding onto it, and I'm definitely not one of those who'd categorically stick to some rigid claims etc. It's just that all these things could happen. They're taking their time, and anything is possible, that's all.  :axl:

the sun's getting real low though... Axl is already 60 years old and we still don't even have CD ll but I guess it's still possible.

Edited by Rovim

23 minutes ago, Rovim said:

the sun's getting real low though... Axl is already 60 years old and we still don't even have CD ll but I guess it's still possible.

Like I said, even if Axl gave Slash just lyrics and basic chords, without letting him hear the old demos - that would basically count, wouldn't it. I want to believe. 

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

While these points are alright, it still doesn't prevent them from just jamming and creating something new in a studio, just like that. A song or two, why not. I keep saying that even though Slash uses his own approach to the CD songs (as he said) and thus projects his own persona ino them, it's still not his own songs from the scratch (melodies, ideas), and he did say years ago he'd worked on stuff for Guns (maybe derived from just Axl's older lyrics, but without having heard the original demos?). I imagine he'd want to come up with some tunes on his own as well. We'll see. :) 

Prevent? What is preventing them writing new songs and releasing them is likely to be solely Axl's personality and nothing else. That is what prevents them. But that is a colossal barrier. And it isn't just about 'jamming on some new songs in the studio' - which might have happened for all I know - but then finishing these songs and releasing them under the Guns N' Roses name, and that is like pulling fucking teeth when it come to Axl. It simply isn't done quickly, if done at all. Unless he has changed, of course, but there is no reason to think he has changed considering that he is still focused on the old material which demonstrates two things: 1) that time is not as important to Axl as getting things done according to his vision, and 2) that his priorities still is the Chinese material and not new music. 

I am not saying you can't hope for new music. You can and you should and I do, too. But you make it sound like this is an easy thing, which of course it should be, but which it equally obviously isn't, and if you forget that Axl doesn't operate like other musicians you risk being disappointed at some point in the future. Stop with this nonsense "but since artist X managed to do it, I will be disappointed if Axl won't do it, too!" It doesn't work this way. He doesn't work that way. Always hope, never expect. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Prevent? What is preventing them writing new songs and releasing them is likely to be solely Axl's personality and nothing else. That is what prevents them. But that is a colossal barrier. And it isn't just about 'jamming on some new songs in the studio' - which might have happened for all I know - but then finishing these songs and releasing them under the Guns N' Roses name, and that is like pulling fucking teeth when it come to Axl. It simply isn't done quickly, if done at all. Unless he has changed, of course, but there is no reason to think he has changed considering that he is still focused on the old material which demonstrates two things: 1) that time is not as important to Axl as getting things done according to his vision, and 2) that his priorities still is the Chinese material and not new music. 

I am not saying you can't hope for new music. You can and you should and I do, too. But you make it sound like this is an easy thing, which of course it should be, but which it equally obviously isn't, and if you forget that Axl doesn't operate like other musicians you risk being disappointed at some point in the future. Stop with this nonsense "but since artist X managed to do it, I will be disappointed if Axl won't do it, too!" It doesn't work this way. He doesn't work that way. Always hope, never expect. 

Oh but I'm not expecting anything. And neither am I talking about like a whole new Appetite or whatever. But if there is consensus - and that's the key - then whipping out one or two new tunes in 6 years can't be that hard. 

Plus what I said here: 

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Like I said, even if Axl gave Slash just lyrics and basic chords, without letting him hear the old demos - that would basically count, wouldn't it. I want to believe. 

Nothing too unreasonable or impossible about that, is it. I don't belong in any black-or-white box, btw. 

Edited by jamillos

As much as a lot of people hate/disdain covers, they're a good first step for a band to start out (or start over) recording.  Axl seems to have big issues with completing new material, but a studio recording of a cover that has already been worked on live (Wichita Lineman) should not be a big deal, especially since he clearly likes it and it's not difficult for him to sing. I can't help wondering why they haven't done it.

Also, Slash has expressed his love for movie soundtracks in recent interviews and Axl has mentioned it as something he'd like to do. So, if Axl's main issue is the vocals, they could do something like that together. Again, it's not what we'd mostly want, but it should be easier and I'd like to hear it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As much as a lot of people hate/disdain covers, they're a good first step for a band to start out (or start over) recording.  Axl seems to have big issues with completing new material, but a studio recording of a cover that has already been worked on live (Wichita Lineman) should not be a big deal, especially since he clearly likes it and it's not difficult for him to sing. I can't help wondering why they haven't done it.

Also, Slash has expressed his love for movie soundtracks in recent interviews and Axl has mentioned it as something he'd like to do. So, if Axl's main issue is the vocals, they could do something like that together. Again, it's not what we'd mostly want, but it should be easier and I'd like to hear it.

would love Gn'R to release studio recording of a cover or even multiple covers. Especially Wichita Lineman or even older covers like Sailing. Covers ep after a few CD ll single releases could be cool or they can even do 2 unreleased Chinese tracks and 2 covers. I also like the idea of movie soundtracks. It can lead to great results even though not as "main event" as new music like you said.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Oh but I'm not expecting anything. And neither am I talking about like a whole new Appetite or whatever. But if there is consensus - and that's the key - then whipping out one or two new tunes in 6 years can't be that hard. 

Consensus of opinion as in if they all want it? Sure, if Axl wanted to do thing much quicker than he is comfortable with, then he would. 

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'd honestly prefer that over a 60+ year old Axl singing over SMKC type riffs.

30 minutes ago, Walapino said:

I Hope we get Atlas and Perhaps as the next two singles Slash mentions.... just to get this stupid shit over. Hopefully more new stuff comes afterwards and it will be brand new to our ears (for the most part).

Atlas and Perhaps, along with two more live tracks from the last tour. The following one will be State Of Grace and Eye On You, and after that, Nothing and Thyme (instrumental), then re-worked Oh My God and Quick Song :D

• Haha 2

It's so useless to try to dissect any detailed information what Slash meant with his sentences, some people here are interpreting their own wishful thinking into it, if you've ever heard him talk, he's not a guy who puts a lot of thought into the way he phrases and says things. "We've got some songs" can be seen as refering to both, the 2 he then mentions right after he says that (which in my opinion is what makes sense, because then to go on and specify that exactly 2 will come out is so random, instead of just saying yeah a new song will come out soon), or to a whole lot more, which is what some people think is "obvious" or "no doubt"  - how the fuck can you say that when his reference was so unclear.

Anyway there surely will happen some more work in the future whether they have 2 songs or more, because we know they have atleast 3 in the can with vocals (4 if you count SOG, if it wasn't abandoned or parts of it integrated into The General). They clearly have not thought further in terms of an album than releasing some singles, if they really had a whole lot more they would just wait and put out a full album (IMO). Them only having 2 further songs ready seems reasonable to me.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Atlas and Perhaps, along with two more live tracks from the last tour. The following one will be State Of Grace and Eye On You, and after that, Nothing and Thyme (instrumental), then re-worked Oh My God and Quick Song :D

I would honestly be shocked if QS, or whatever it may be called but now, doesn’t get an eventual release. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am pretty sure that with "new music" Slash was referring to old material originating from the Chinese sessions. With Slash's and Duff's input it will be "new music" released by GN'R, even if the songs themselves are old, because they have never been released before (some of them might have leaked, though, but I doubt Slash takes that into consideration when talking about them).

If you think Axl and Slash will come together and write brand new music and that this will be released at some time, then I am afraid you will be disappointed. It likely won't happen. There is no evidence suggesting Axl is interested in that and it seems hard enough for him to even release the music that is already finished, let alone start the work on creative brand new music. Keep in mind, it took him 25 years or so to release Hard Skool. He won't start that process again now, I am sure, and if he does, it likely won't see the light of day.

Nor should you *need* to get such music to "see where they stand as a band". It is very clear where the band stands. Except for releasing the occasional Chinese Democracy leftover, they are a nostalgia act. And a bloody good one at that. The fact that they even work on releasing remaining songs from the Chinese period is fantastic. That's a lot more than I expected. 

Am I curious as to what a newly written song from Slash and Axl would sound like? Yes, of course. But I don't need to hear it nor do they need to make it. I find it about as likely as hearing a brand new song from Lennon and McCarthy. 

Then Axll is now "Lennon and Slash is "McCcartney".... sadly

21 hours ago, Pele said:

Most of them I don't believe.

If you're talking about the wrestler - he doesn't have completed songs that we haven't heard.

And I've no clue on which members excite me so much?

The "sexual" aspect was tongue in cheek, but you have spent a notable amount of time trying to get information on the individuals on those different forums via private messages from members of this forum (myself included). Furthermore, when you began all this nonsense, you made a huge deal out of saying you believed the majority, if not all, of what those people said. I think you said those "other forum" people should even be considered "insiders" (God I hate that word now) or, at least. people whose word could be taken as pulling some weight about the inner workings of GN'R during that era. 

So, to repeat the question you did not answer last time (I did not ask you how many songs the "former wrestler" has), what do you make of the statements he made that a full album was "in the can" as early as fall 2010, and that at least a few songs beyond that album were ready to go? Are you saying he was lying, that he was misinformed, or that (like most other scenarios with you) you just chose to ignore what didn't fit your thoughts? Again, if you could answer the question without deflecting, that would be appreciated. 

On an even more serious note, I do not necessarily even disagree with your thoughts on the number of finished songs available and think you hold a valid viewpoint, even if I do not agree with it entirely (I tend to think there are more than four songs in the can, but agree that what's truly ready to release or to be prepared for release is WAY less than any comments from Axl or the band). I think what bugs me about the situation (beyond hijacking every thread) is that you seem unable to acknowledge any shades of gray that may exist, and then treat other people like imbeciles for enjoying what the band has put out or having a sincere belief that more songs may exist. 

I am one of the "fools" you keep referencing because, believe it or not, I genuinely enjoyed both songs and thought it would be neat to have some more GN'R music on physical formats. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I would honestly be shocked if QS, or whatever it may be called but now, doesn’t get an eventual release. 

Yes. It was the song that seemed to be most in focus back in 2000 with Axl picking Buckethead solos to add and with scratch vocals in place. I find it more likely this is coming than Perhaps. 

27 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Then Axll is now "Lennon and Slash is "McCcartney".... sadly

About Axl now is "Lennon" and Slash is "McCcartney" i mean that Axl is now death in creativity, and Slash is still alive in creativity like "McCcartney"......

What's this about, from the Rolling Stone article:

"This month, he’s releasing new music by each group, 4 with Kennedy and the Conspirators, out today, and an EP, Hard Skool, with Guns on Feb. 25."

Are "Hard Skool" and "Absurd" going to get bundled as an EP on streaming services, or are we getting physical copies at retail? I'm surprised no one brought this up in the 5 pages of discussion. Or maybe I missed it.

7 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

What's this about, from the Rolling Stone article:

"This month, he’s releasing new music by each group, 4 with Kennedy and the Conspirators, out today, and an EP, Hard Skool, with Guns on Feb. 25."

Are "Hard Skool" and "Absurd" going to get bundled as an EP on streaming services, or are we getting physical copies at retail? I'm surprised no one brought this up in the 5 pages of discussion. Or maybe I missed it.

I think RS and other magazines that have interviewed Slash recently have all taken the physical Hard Skool single (which was due to be out Feb 25th and still is listed as getting released on that day on Wikipedia) to be a EP.

16 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

The "sexual" aspect was tongue in cheek, but you have spent a notable amount of time trying to get information on the individuals on those different forums via private messages from members of this forum (myself included). Furthermore, when you began all this nonsense, you made a huge deal out of saying you believed the majority, if not all, of what those people said. I think you said those "other forum" people should even be considered "insiders" (God I hate that word now) or, at least. people whose word could be taken as pulling some weight about the inner workings of GN'R during that era. 

So, to repeat the question you did not answer last time (I did not ask you how many songs the "former wrestler" has), what do you make of the statements he made that a full album was "in the can" as early as fall 2010, and that at least a few songs beyond that album were ready to go? Are you saying he was lying, that he was misinformed, or that (like most other scenarios with you) you just chose to ignore what didn't fit your thoughts? Again, if you could answer the question without deflecting, that would be appreciated. 

On an even more serious note, I do not necessarily even disagree with your thoughts on the number of finished songs available and think you hold a valid viewpoint, even if I do not agree with it entirely (I tend to think there are more than four songs in the can, but agree that what's truly ready to release or to be prepared for release is WAY less than any comments from Axl or the band). I think what bugs me about the situation (beyond hijacking every thread) is that you seem unable to acknowledge any shades of gray that may exist, and then treat other people like imbeciles for enjoying what the band has put out or having a sincere belief that more songs may exist. 

I am one of the "fools" you keep referencing because, believe it or not, I genuinely enjoyed both songs and thought it would be neat to have some more GN'R music on physical formats. 

Fair post.

I tend not to use the term 'insiders'.  Obviously a real insider would be a source close to the band.  The forum definition 'insider' I'd say relates to a certain type of poster (basically someone who posts vague clues/info without a source and 99% turns out to be bullshit.

I've always been clear - there is another type of poster.  Absolute ass-lickers who spend all day posting support of Rose on Twitter/Insta, who send messages of love to the Lebeis/Santos family, who run and tell tales to them whenever someone posts anything mean, who (genuinely) turn up to shows with presents for Fernando's sister etc.  There are 2-3 of these who have direct access to Beta (and the family) and converse regularly.  They aren't 'insiders', they are just super-fans who are occasionally given nuggets of info (not that there is ever anything exciting worth knowing - however one was informed when Rose called Hudson).

I believe there was a plan to release a 2010 album - and the album consisted of completed songs (Atlas/Perhaps/General/ Going Down), new versions of existing songs (TIL), and songs he wanted to complete (Tonto/Soulmonster/Zodiac).

Shades of grey exist.

I don't believe Tonto/Soulmonster/Zodiac etc were finished.  You and others may do.

Slash has helpfully told us what's happening - songs Axl had done vocals on will be released.

So let's see.

Edited by Pele

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I think RS and other magazines that have interviewed Slash recently have all taken the physical Hard Skool single (which was due to be out Feb 25th and still is listed as getting released on that day on Wikipedia) to be a EP.

I wonder if all these outlets will be looking for the "EP" on Feb. 25 :lol:

• Haha 2