New Slash Interview (Rolling Stone)

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah same as, but it's hard to get lost in the music when you hear 2 songs and then nothing for months. Something is better than nothing, but I am old school and I want to hear the full album and dive into it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I would much rather just hear an album.

But since this is GNR and all we can expect anymore, all I’m saying is I’ll take it, lmao

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The only way that stuff would make sense in a UYI box set, is if it's "bonus" stuff accompanying the early demos of Bad Obsession, The Garden and Yesterdays (since they all came from the same demo tape). Basically, they add Just Another Sunday, Crash Diet, etc. and maybe some of Izzy's "home demos" to fill out a whole LP. But yea, there's pretty much no chance they'll ever do anything with those demos.

They will, not in the UYI boxset, but down the line somewhere. They won't include it in UYI, because they will want to maximize the milking of the fans, so they will put those early recordings out as a separate thing, for fans who need to buy everything, mainly because GNR rarely put anything out. The best we can hope with the UYI boxset in terms of rarities is an actual high quality version of Ain't Goin Down (good song) and any unreleased video footage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

They will, not in the UYI boxset, but down the line somewhere. They won't include it in UYI, because they will want to maximize the milking of the fans, so they will put those early recordings out as a separate thing, for fans who need to buy everything, mainly because GNR rarely put anything out. The best we can hope with the UYI boxset in terms of rarities is an actual high quality version of Ain't Goin Down (good song) and any unreleased video footage.

I mean, they could even include the live recording of Ain't Goin' Down from 1986 in that "early rarities" disc. I get what you're saying, but if they ever intend to release the Arkeen demos I'd think it would be in the UYI box. They've got tons of live stuff that they can keep releasing for years, plus the CD sessions... they couldn't really do a "box set" of a few mid-80s demos, but they could certainly include them in a UYI box to justify a high price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I mean, they could even include the live recording of Ain't Goin' Down from 1986 in that "early rarities" disc. I get what you're saying, but if they ever intend to release the Arkeen demos I'd think it would be in the UYI box. They've got tons of live stuff that they can keep releasing for years, plus the CD sessions... they couldn't really do a "box set" of a few mid-80s demos, but they could certainly include them in a UYI box to justify a high price.

Maybe but I HIGHLY doubt it, this is TB we're talking about. They will justify a high price even without anything special, once those hardcore fans all ordered they will lower the price:lol:

They didn't include the SCOM demo on the AFD boxset, which is an indication (for me anyway)  that they want to milk that further down the road.

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Maybe but I HIGHLY doubt it, this is TB we're talking about. They will justify a high price even without anything special, once those hardcore fans all ordered they will lower the price:lol:

They didn't include the SCOM demo on the AFD boxset, which is an indication (for me anyway)  that they want to milk that further down the road.

Fernando didn't even know that demo existed. :facepalm: I think it was on discord, but someone asked him why the Pasha demos weren't included in the AFD box, and his response was "what are the Pasha demos?" so there was no intention to milk the AFD stuff, it was just classic TB stupidity.

Universal is handling the box set, set so hopefully they learned from the disaster that was the AFD box and offer something more reasonable this time around.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fernando didn't even know that demo existed. :facepalm: I think it was on discord, but someone asked him why the Pasha demos weren't included in the AFD box, and his response was "what are the Pasha demos?" so there was no intention to milk the AFD stuff, it was just classic TB stupidity.

Universal is handling the box set, set so hopefully they learned from the disaster that was the AFD box and offer something more reasonable this time around.

That was on Reddit. It was me who asked, and his answer was “the band worked with what they had to make the best box set possible.”

• Like 1

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

That was on Reddit. It was me who asked, and his answer was “the band worked with what they had to make the best box set possible.”

Thanks for clarifying. I think it might've also been part of that voice-chat thing he did on discord but I'm not completely sure. Either way, the fact they didn't include the Pasha demos or Lies demos, let alone the live stuff, is because of incompetence.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Guns n Roses is done apart from a bit of touring.  Slash has been pushing him and his band recently (knows Guns n Roses is over).  I think Axl has no interst at all hence he put on a good show last year knowing it was   going to be his last and at the age of sixty bow out gracefully.    Although I may be totally wrong...

#

Ok newbie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

LOL: they couldn't google "GNR sweet child o mine demo" and see what comes up? Idiots.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, betterman said:

Slash saying that Hardscool is a simple song and they just replaced guitars and bass, but I got the feeling that Slash completely re-wrote the bridge part and solo since its way different from the Village leaks

Not really, we just didn’t get to hear the 2006 version of this song. 

Absurd is basically Bumble’s 2006 version. 

• Like 4

Honest question @Pele since I block out your shit for the most part. 

How have you responded to the fact that the people on another GN'R forum we're not allowed to talk about, and whose members seem to excite you on a borderline sexual level, claim that, as far back as 2010, the band had a full record in the can ready to release consisting of Chinese Democracy era songs and, per the man who used to run said forum, even had completed songs from the sessions that were meant to be the "follow-up" to the CD era (the man in questions said many songs were based on riffs Fortus brought to the band). 

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

How have you responded to the fact that the people on another GN'R forum we're not allowed to talk about, and whose members seem to excite you on a borderline sexual level, claim that, as far back as 2010, the band had a full record in the can ready to release consisting of Chinese Democracy era songs and, per the man who used to run said forum, even had completed songs from the sessions that were meant to be the "follow-up" to the CD era (the man in questions said many songs were based on riffs Fortus brought to the band). 

Wow…I’ve never even heard that rumoured before! Just that the follow-up was ‘in the van’ and ready to go.

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Most of them I don't believe.

If you're talking about the wrestler - he doesn't have completed songs that we haven't heard.

And I've no clue on which members excite me so much?

There is no doubt by the way that Slash is referring to more than two songs (in addition to HS/Absurd) that he and Duff worked on. 

It seems like they have planned for two more singles soon, but they have worked on several more - that gives me hope
Of course, it may be that these two songs is Atlas and Perhaps, but that would be nice to see them officially released cause they are both very good songs. 
But it would be nice of course to get a song we dont know (at least in a almost finished state) 

Slash mentioned complexity, and it may fit a song like Soul monster or the General maybe

• Like 2

In any case, he clearly said they'd been working on some new stuff as well. Which is what I've been saying all along - it's clear there will be material from Axl's solo era, but we also need new songs created by these guys to see where they stand as a band, creative entity etc. So this sounds very optimistic. 

Edited by jamillos

39 minutes ago, jamillos said:

In any case, he clearly said they'd been working on some new stuff as well. Which is what I've been saying all along - it's clear there will be material from Axl's solo era, but we also need new songs created by these guys to see where they stand as a band, creative entity etc. So this sounds very optimistic. 

Maybe, but Slash has said before that they havent written any new songs together yet. So I guess the new stuff is new singles based on Axl demos

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I am pretty sure that with "new music" Slash was referring to old material originating from the Chinese sessions. With Slash's and Duff's input it will be "new music" released by GN'R, even if the songs themselves are old, because they have never been released before (some of them might have leaked, though, but I doubt Slash takes that into consideration when talking about them).

If you think Axl and Slash will come together and write brand new music and that this will be released at some time, then I am afraid you will be disappointed. It likely won't happen. There is no evidence suggesting Axl is interested in that and it seems hard enough for him to even release the music that is already finished, let alone start the work on creative brand new music. Keep in mind, it took him 25 years or so to release Hard Skool. He won't start that process again now, I am sure, and if he does, it likely won't see the light of day.

Nor should you *need* to get such music to "see where they stand as a band". It is very clear where the band stands. Except for releasing the occasional Chinese Democracy leftover, they are a nostalgia act. And a bloody good one at that. The fact that they even work on releasing remaining songs from the Chinese period is fantastic. That's a lot more than I expected. 

Am I curious as to what a newly written song from Slash and Axl would sound like? Yes, of course. But I don't need to hear it nor do they need to make it. I find it about as likely as hearing a brand new song from Lennon and McCarthy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Soul is right. Anybody who thinks Axl Rose is going to write new music now at 60 years old has their head way too high in the clouds. And no, Slash coming back to the band does not mean "anything can happen" ... That was always going to happen for the $$$ and it only happened for the $$$ ... The only new vocals Axl is laying down are for cartoons ... You will never hear his voice on a "new" song ever again. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am pretty sure that with "new music" Slash was referring to old material originating from the Chinese sessions. With Slash's and Duff's input it will be "new music" released by GN'R, even if the songs themselves are old, because they have never been released before (some of them might have leaked, though, but I doubt Slash takes that into consideration when talking about them).

If you think Axl and Slash will come together and write brand new music and that this will be released at some time, then I am afraid you will be disappointed. It likely won't happen. There is no evidence suggesting Axl is interested in that and it seems hard enough for him to even release the music that is already finished, let alone start the work on creative brand new music. Keep in mind, it took him 25 years or so to release Hard Skool. He won't start that process again now, I am sure, and if he does, it likely won't see the light of day.

Nor should you *need* to get such music to "see where they stand as a band". It is very clear where the band stands. Except for releasing the occasional Chinese Democracy leftover, they are a nostalgia act. And a bloody good one at that. The fact that they even work on releasing remaining songs from the Chinese period is fantastic. That's a lot more than I expected. 

Am I curious as to what a newly written song from Slash and Axl would sound like? Yes, of course. But I don't need to hear it nor do they need to make it. I find it about as likely as hearing a brand new song from Lennon and McCarthy. 

Just imagine Axl writing lyrics and sing over a song like Fall Back To Earth. I think that woukd work perfectly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

He clearly said they haven't worked on any brand new stuff just a couple of months ago. By new stuff he's clearly talking about other CD era tracks. It's clear you're going to hold on to this delusion right until the end though, so whatever.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 2