Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

This seems more reliable. From CNN

The funny thing is that the oligarchs were left completely in the lurch. There are billions of dollars worth of super yachts all over the globe that can easily be seized. A little heads up by Putin and those yachts could have made it back to Russia waters, or at least international waters where seizure is a bit harder to come by. 

• Like 1

Elon Musk has moved his internet satellites into Ukraine to provide unfettered access.

I’ve read Kiev has gone dark as there is a large build up of Russian tanks outside the city.  The power was supposedly cut by Ukrainians to make it harder for the tanks to find their targets.

Going to be a long night in Kiev. 

Germany finally woke up from the lethargy and announced massive investments into defense budget. 

it's funny. crazy russian dictator goes on to wage war against Ukraine, saying they are fascists (which itself is an insult to a nation that lost 6M fighting the real fascists in WW2) but they fight back so stubbornly that they totally humiliate him, makes half of the world pissed off and help Ukraine as much as they can including usual "friends" and even fucking Taliban condemns him, forces Germany into biggest military changes since 1933 (just this time fortunately on the right side) and tomorrow it's expected that russian economy will start collapsing, as economic sanctions will start to be devastating (run on the banks has already started in there), and even Switzerland has announced that it's gonna take some serious look into how russian oligarchs keep money in there.

I really hope russian people will topple this bastard and his powerbase, the sooner the better for the country and its folks.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, alfierose said:

My husband is currently wandering the house wondering what we could use to create a nuclear fallout shelter. So there's that! :nervous:

My response is what would be the point?

Hopefully we'll all live long enough so I can vote in the final of AFD Survivor. :ph34r:

I’ve read from experts in this area that a move like this was probable and a likely sign that the war is not going well for Russia.

It’s a signal meant more his domestic audience than international actors.

But yeah, still not a great way to end your weekend. 

• Like 1

no wonder... his country has been invaded and occupied by Russia too. actually twice in the last 30 years. sure, it's not THAT simple, especially in Abchazia where the ethnic tensions went out of the roof on both sides, but that doesn't change much at the fact that russian army are there as occupants.

22 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

By nuclear deterrence forces does that mean Russia's nukes in general or just their retaliatory defense system that's in place?

From what I understand, it's just their defense system. They were most likely on high alert already. Russia announcing it is likely a scare tactic ahead of the talks they agreed to with Ukraine.