Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

9 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

From what I understand, it's just their defense system. They were most likely on high alert already. Russia announcing it is likely a scare tactic ahead of the talks they agreed to with Ukraine.

probably (and hopefully) it is this. I have no doubts NATO members already have their own nukes on full alert and don't talk about it.

In depth background analysis, absolutely worth watching. Although he was wrong about the scale of a potential invasion (the interview was conducted on Feb. 15), he seems to be spot on about what Putin wants to accomplish as well as about NATO.

He was already saying it in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4

Still can't believe this is happening? I watch the world news and see thousands of people escaping their homeland. How nuts is that?

Putin spreading lies about Ukraine's President to justify his invasion. Trump calling him a genius. If anyone votes for this bastard in 2014 they need to be thrown out of the US.

I know I would never be able to be as brave as these people. Mothers leaving their husbands behind to fight this war. Traveling to another country not knowing what will happen next.

all these brave men and women fighting for their freedom. Will they be successful? I wish the US and other countries in Europe could do more.

Why can Putin get away with this? Can't someone kill him or bomb Moscow? I know it would be an "act of war", but what is Russia invading Ukraine called?

I can' t understand how the world can stand by and witness this?

The dallas morning news had a picture of Chi from China reading the paper with a smile on his face about Russia invading Ukraine and a person supposedly from Taiwan shaking. I mean is this next?

North Korea is sending missals off again. WFT? is going on?

This is the worse of humanity yet again.

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Still can't believe this is happening? I watch the world news and see thousands of people escaping their homeland. How nuts is that?

Putin spreading lies about Ukraine's President to justify his invasion. Trump calling him a genius. If anyone votes for this bastard in 2014 they need to be thrown out of the US.

I know I would never be able to be as brave as these people. Mothers leaving their husbands behind to fight this war. Traveling to another country not knowing what will happen next.

all these brave men and women fighting for their freedom. Will they be successful? I wish the US and other countries in Europe could do more.

Why can Putin get away with this? Can't someone kill him or bomb Moscow? I know it would be an "act of war", but what is Russia invading Ukraine called?

I can' t understand how the world can stand by and witness this?

The dallas morning news had a picture of Chi from China reading the paper with a smile on his face about Russia invading Ukraine and a person supposedly from Taiwan shaking. I mean is this next?

North Korea is sending missals off again. WFT? is going on?

This is the worse of humanity yet again.

You cannot just bomb capital of state that owns the most nukes in the world...

Chance to minimase situation like this was 15yrs ago when Russia was poor giant , but world waches elsevere...

Now, we can hope that wise men surrounding Putin grow a pair and "remove" him... 

Last night, first refugees came to Croatia, and today, first Croatian volunteers reached Ukraine... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

This needs to get de escalated somehow. He is a criminal POS, but Putin needs an out to save face. Horrid week

Agreed.

I don’t see humiliating Putin into submission is going to work. As dumb and terrible as it seems, any salvageable outcome involves Putin having something to hang his hat on. 

• Like 1

Btw, I’m not riding that nuclear-fear wave. It’s just a military strategy, similarly to that seizure of Chernobyl. He’s a psychopath but not totally stupid. This way not only wouldn’t he gain anything, but he’d lose everything, as the retaliation from the West (even without the US) would obliterate him. These guys wanna thrive and possibly expand, not start something that would bring the complete opposite. I think he was forced to threaten like this due to the fact that the war progress probably hasn’t been as successful as planned, the fact that the world is mocking him, and the fact that the repercussions and sanctions have been quite severe, and they’re already pretty fucked as a nation, I’d say. So he kinda has to maintain some psychological support for his own people and obviously rattle some sabres. I’m not afraid of this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

We, Sweden, are currently sending 135,000 field rations, 5,000 helmets, 5,000 body shields and 5,000 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine!

I've never felt so much patriotism for another country then I do for Ukraine right now!

Well, if you look at situation rational - it's better to put out the fire in neighbor's house than wait it spread to yours...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Well, if you look at situation rational - it's better to put out the fire in neighbor's house than wait it spread to yours...

Exactly, as a non-NATO country, fairly close to the Russian border, I'd very much appreciate if the Ukrainians wins this...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Exactly, as a non-NATO country, fairly close to the Russian border, I'd very much appreciate if the Ukrainians wins this...

you're lucky that you already pretty much are NATO member (together with Finland), just not "officially". 

either way, you have just witnessed what happens when you're not in NATO - suddenly there's a "peaceful military training excersize" behind your borders and the next day your cities are bombarded and you're threatened by nukes.

this is the best way Putler showed everyone why they should join NATO as soon as they possibly can.

there is no "middle way" between civilized world and Putler's Russia - sooner or later russian invaders would knock on the door. 

all countries east of Germany and have literally a hundred years of bitter experience with that and we can talk about it until the end of times.

so yeah, Ukraine is now fighting for us and we have to do whatever it takes to prevent its fall and all us here will gladly help with whatever we have.

and many people in this part of world here also consider ukrainian defiance as revenge for all the russian invasions in the recent hundred years which went unopposed back then.

• Like 4

I just feel sorry for those recruits not knowing what the hell is going on (a training?) - obviously not talking about the maniacs bombing the shit ouf of cities etc. - plus all the innocent Russian civilians who don't support Putin and yet will have to face the consequences of his actions through the measures taken by the EU. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Peace talks start today. Let us hope they are a good start.

I don’t think anyone expected such damming sanctions and such a unified response

mad evil dictator expected that Ukraine will surrender within two days and that the west was so decayed that they will do no response. he was terribly wrong in both of these.

speaking about "innocent russians" - well, it's unfortunate, but what was that number? 70% of them support the invasion and 120% support Putler? no, I don't buy this. they are to blame until they themselves get rid of their current leadership.

so far I can still only see very small scale demonstrations of those who are brave enough - those have my kudos because they risk going to jail.

but only Russians themselves can get the world rid of Putler and his band of war criminals, and I will only have kind words for them when they actually do it.

meanwhile, those bastards are again heavily shelling ukrainian cities. that is the very same case as when Hitler's armies bombed western cities. to hell with them!