Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

4 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

No, only those with voting rights in United Nations Security Council

Sorry, but yeah that’s what I meant. Any major nation (UNSC member, which is most of the major global powers) could theoretically invade anywhere then veto. Uk supports USA or vice versa . China supports Russia or vice versa  etc. Abstain in votes etc, the whole thing is a farcical.

33 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

According to the Ukraine, Cyprus supports a russian ban from SWIFT. So now it’s just Hungary (which is lead by a madman as well) and Germany who are against this sanction. I’m truly ashamed of my countrys politics 

according to polish prime minister, the hungarian leader supports it too 

edit: Viktor Orbán has just confirmed Hungary fully supports all sanctions and won't block anything.

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

Tide is really turning with respect to pan-European neutrality:

If I’m Putin I would be ordering the military to do everything it can to not kill or harm Zelensky.  Assassinating the Ukrainian President would bring about everything short of a military response from Europe and North America. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

If I’m Putin I would be ordering the military to do everything it can to not kill or harm Zelensky.  Assassinating the Ukrainian President would bring about everything short of a military response from Europe and North America. 

I can imagine that that scum's aim is the exact opposite - to murder Zelensky and attempt to cripple the resistance that way.

this info came from high ranking (ex-)diplomats/politician from Estonia (see replies for the whole translation): 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

But news just broke that Germany is sending 400 tanks to ukraine

are you sure it's tanks? my info says RPGs - basically anti-tank bazookas. 

Germany to my knowledge is sending soldiers and equipment to the east, but not to Ukraine but to Slovakia, a battlegroup with Patriot battery and dutch soldiers as well, 1200 in total.

but it can't be sending tanks to UA

Edited by zombux

It’s been interesting to watch the information war going on right now.  Zelensky and the Ukrainians are putting on a masterclass on how to galvanize support within the country and all over the world. As Thomas Friedman wrote in the NY Times yesterday, we’ve never had a war like this one precisely because of how connected we are via our devices and the internet.  I’d be curious what kind of information most Russians are seeing right now. They must be wondering, regardless of what they’re seeing, why their military hasn’t captured the country by now. It has to be a bit demoralizing for a country that prides itself on its military prowess to find itself getting punched back more than anticipated.

From the old woman telling a Russian soldier to put sunflower seeds in his pocket so at least something will grow from his death to the thirteen Ukrainian soldiers telling a Russian warship to go fuck itself to a Ukrainian randomly offering to two an out of gas tank back to Russia, the media coming out of Ukraine has been both incredible and inspiring.  Zelensky’s use of social media has been amazing to watch.

And then there’s this guy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

You're right.

I read at one source that swift is about to come through. We'll see soon I guess

actually I have found something you might have been confused by:

German company KMW offers to deliver 50 Flakpanzer Gepard anti-aircraft tanks to Ukraine https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_february_2022_global_security_army_industry/german_company_kmw_offers_to_deliver_50_flakpanzer_gepard_anti-aircraft_tanks_to_ukraine.html

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

It’s been interesting to watch the information war going on right now.  Zelensky and the Ukrainians are putting on a masterclass on how to galvanize support within the country and all over the world. As Thomas Friedman wrote in the NY Times yesterday, we’ve never had a war like this one precisely because of how connected we are via our devices and the internet.  I’d be curious what kind of information most Russians are seeing right now. They must be wondering, regardless of what they’re seeing, why their military hasn’t captured the country by now. It has to be a bit demoralizing for a country that prides itself on its military prowess to find itself getting punched back more than anticipated.

in Russia itself, media are heavily censored and all infochannels are prohibited from using words like "aggression", "invasion" etc. under draconic fines.

10 minutes ago, zombux said:

in Russia itself, media are heavily censored and all infochannels are prohibited from using words like "aggression", "invasion" etc. under draconic fines.

I have no doubt that conventional and state media is heavily compromised and limiting what their audiences can see.

But Russians have access to the web and social media sites, no?  

1 minute ago, downzy said:

I have no doubt that conventional and state media is heavily compromised and limiting what their audiences can see.

it is being restricted as much as the state power can technically achieve. of course the internet cannot really be turned off, but decades of propaganda made it very hard to find information and work with it properly, so Russians are pretty blind and also scared by police and other forces.

UA is doing a great deal of propaganda work though, my kudos to them. they do literally everything they can in order to keep their freedom. I can't express with words what I feel about that :) 

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

goverment russian webiste and facebook are hacked right now. anonymous took it down.  Propaganda in Russia in mindblowing, only young ppl who has access to social media knows what is going on... If they want to of course

Edited by Politania
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, SoulMonster said:

Well, he won't attack a NATO country.

We have only hope he won't attacked a NATO country. The invasion of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia is very real, therefore NATO is  sending more British troops there. Remember that this countries do not have its own air forces. Russia has certainly already deployed nuclear weapons in the Kaliningrad Oblast. and then Poland remains...

Just now, Politania said:

We have only hope he won't attacked a NATO country. The invasion of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia is very real, therefore NATO is  sending more British troops there. Remember that this countries do not have its own air forces. Russia has certainly already deployed nuclear weapons in the Kaliningrad Oblast. and then Poland remains...

It’s hard to know for sure and such determinations like the one I’m about to make are prone to be wrong, but if Russia is having as difficult time as it looks like it’s having in Ukraine, how could it ever think it could invade a NATO aligned country without resorting to using its nukes.  And if that’s what it wants to do, then we’re going to call it a day as a species.  Maybe Putin really is that nuts, but any efforts to invade a NATO nation without the use of nuclear weapons would ruin Russia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

It’s hard to know for sure and such determinations like the one I’m about to make are prone to be wrong, but if Russia is having as difficult time as it looks like it’s having in Ukraine, how could it ever think it could invade a NATO aligned country without resorting to using its nukes.  And if that’s what it wants to do, then we’re going to call it a day as a species.  Maybe Putin really is that nuts, but any efforts to invade a NATO nation without the use of nuclear weapons would ruin Russia. 

I'll answer you yes, what you say is rational, but Russia and Putin have NEVER been rational. Poland (and I am Polish) has been screaming for many years that the Russian bear woke up and the world ignored us. I know that the use of nuclear weapons is going to be the end of Russia ( and half of east Europe), but it cannot be ruled out. since the end of IIWW, Poland knows that the nuclear weapons from Russia have been aimed at one target since then: at Warsaw. We know this psycho can do it.

• Like 1