5 minutes ago, Natty said:

The noise at airports or building suites is far more loud than a rock concert. That s a fact. 

Didn't say it isn't. Doesn't make rock concerts any less dangerous, though.

no one of my friends who also visit a lot of rock shows and are all over 40 and from countries of all over the world has tinnitus. So we all must be very lucky. 🍀

Yes, you are very lucky.

I'm sorry, but contrary to popular belief on the internet, anecdotal evidence doesn't annul scientific studies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Tinnitus and permanent hearing damage are so much cooler 😎

I don't get how not everyone protects their hearing nowadays. There's great earplugs specifically for concerts. 

I have a set of those earplugs and while they are better than the foam plugs as far as sound quality, they still distort the sound.

52 minutes ago, Natty said:

Sorry but you don’t get tinnitus from a usual rock concert! I am always front row so I get the whole experience and I never had tinnitus. . . I am 44 years old now and have been to loads of rock concerts from club gigs to stadium tours but I never ever would use an ear plug.

besides if I was already ill..

I usually use earplugs for the opener.  There were shows I've been to in the past (including GNR) that had a short term effect on my hearing (sounding like I'm stuffed up afterwards).  I have mild tinnitus in my left ear but I think it's more likely from a punctured eardrum when I was a kid than it is from the loud concerts in my past.

The two most recent GNR shows I've been to (Missoula and Hollywood, FL both 2021) had perfect sound levels.  It was powerful and crisp but I didn't get any effect on my hearing at all without earplugs.  I could talk to my buddy without much difficulty during songs if I needed to say something.  I didn't have to yell or put my mouth on his ear.

44 minutes ago, Natty said:

The noise at airports or building suites is far more loud than a rock concert. That s a fact. 

no one of my friends who also visit a lot of rock shows and are all over 40 and from countries of all over the world has tinnitus. So we all must be very lucky. 🍀

Well. That can go both ways. Some go to 400+ concerts and never have any issue, some go to one and walk away with Tinnitus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Sorry but you don’t get tinnitus from a usual rock concert! I am always front row so I get the whole experience and I never had tinnitus. . . I am 44 years old now and have been to loads of rock concerts from club gigs to stadium tours but I never ever would use an ear plug.

besides if I was already ill..

Let me tell you. You can. It's no fun.

43 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I have a set of those earplugs and while they are better than the foam plugs as far as sound quality, they still distort the sound.

I usually use earplugs for the opener.  There were shows I've been to in the past (including GNR) that had a short term effect on my hearing (sounding like I'm stuffed up afterwards).  I have mild tinnitus in my left ear but I think it's more likely from a punctured eardrum when I was a kid than it is from the loud concerts in my past.

The two most recent GNR shows I've been to (Missoula and Hollywood, FL both 2021) had perfect sound levels.  It was powerful and crisp but I didn't get any effect on my hearing at all without earplugs.  I could talk to my buddy without much difficulty during songs if I needed to say something.  I didn't have to yell or put my mouth on his ear.

Munich had terrible sound. vienna today will be better but also not great due to the stadium circumstances there.. 

11 hours ago, Natty said:

I've developed tinnitus in my left ear.  I'm not sure if it's from going to concerts  or listening to music through headphones. My office has always been quiet. I'm in my mid 40s. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:20 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

The issue is Axl doesn’t seem to accept his voice is deteriorating and doesn’t do anything to make the situation better for himself. Think about some of the things he could do, that other bands do, that he doesn’t:

Lower the songs keys.

Getting heavier backing vocals to be able to rest on a few high notes.

Release new music with songs easier to sing to fill out the set.

Change the style of singing (something he only did when he absolutely has to)

Change the set to include easier/slower songs and only going for highs on the absolute hits.

Instead, Axl has been adding songs like Black in Back, Coma nightly, Reckless Life, rehearsing stuff like TWAT, Hard Skool. All things cool to see but extremely irresponsible considering the current state of his voice. I’m sure he does some warm ups and warm downs, I’m sure he’s aware his voice is rough, and I feel deeply for anxiety- but quite simply, Axl does not take care of his voice and does himself no favors. It’s as bad of a state as it’s in mostly due to him and him alone. Age is inevitable- work with it instead of against it.

I think it’s mostly a case of pride. He wants to still “sing” the way he used to, not do talk singing like slither on every song. It’s admirable, but also pretty sad to listen to most of the time since 2017. 

8 hours ago, Draguns said:

I've developed tinnitus in my left ear.  I'm not sure if it's from going to concerts  or listening to music through headphones. My office has always been quiet. I'm in my mid 40s. 

Sorry to hear that!!
 If it didn’t happen after a concert then it isn’t from a gig I would say. 

headphones can cause a lot more damage than live gigs cause you don’t realize how loud it really is. Wish you the best

18 minutes ago, Natty said:

The day I would use ear plugs on a concert is the day where I should retire from live gigs.

just my opinion. 

Spoken with true ignorance and cluelessness. Well, I'm hoping for you, you will never get to know differently.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Natty said:

The day I would use ear plugs on a concert is the day where I should retire from live gigs.

just my opinion. 

I would understand the ear plugs in the case of people who attend huge concerts with a high frequency - very often and regularly. 

Edited by jamillos

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Spoken with true ignorance and cluelessness. Well, I'm hoping for you, you will never get to know differently.

I agree…

I’m 44 and I use earplugs even at the movie theatre as loud sounds sometimes hurt. I can’t ear silence…. 😅 I fall asleep with headphones on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marj said:

I agree…

I’m 44 and I use earplugs even at the movie theatre as loud sounds sometimes hurt. I can’t ear silence…. 😅 I fall asleep with headphones on. 

I use them at the movies too.

And that's the thing once hour ears get damaged, a lot of things become a bit of a bitch to deal with.

It's like fracturing your knee or something, it will never be like it was before. 

3 hours ago, Natty said:

just my opinion. 

That's so assbackwards. Using earplugs means you don't need to retire from live gigs, because your ears won't get damaged, when you use them. 

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I've only seen little kids and security wear earplugs. Personally I wouldn't want to wear them to a concert. 

to each their own, but for me it really helps if it's too loud. I also wear them in the middle of really boring conversations. (you start with just one earplug as a warning, and you add the second one if it's still boring)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I use them at the movies too.

And that's the thing once hour ears get damaged, a lot of things become a bit of a bitch to deal with.

It's like fracturing your knee or something, it will never be like it was before. 

That's so assbackwards. Using earplugs means you don't need to retire from live gigs, because your ears won't get damaged, when you use them. 

I honestly don‘t think that rock concerts are loud. Or better: too loud or that loud that I would need ear plugs and that s the point. If it s not too loud why should I use them? 

I go to lots of festivals, hard rock gigs and punk rock gigs with small and large locations but I never thought „oh that s too loud. „ I just had fun if I liked the band or was bored if I didn’t . 
maybe I would need them at a death metal or speed metal gig, no idea but certainly not for commong rock gigs. I don‘ t know anyone besides kids who wears ear plugs. And of course security cause usually they don’t like the music there and sometimes just wonder how crazy fans get ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I've only seen little kids and security wear earplugs. Personally I wouldn't want to wear them to a concert. 

Then you should look around more. Many wear them. Even the people on stage wear them. And it's not really about wanting to wear them. I doubt anyone really "wants" to wear them.

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

I honestly don‘t think that rock concerts are loud. Or better: too loud or that loud that I would need ear plugs and that s the point. If it s not too loud why should I use them? 

I go to lots of festivals, hard rock gigs and punk rock gigs with small and large locations but I never thought „oh that s too loud. „ I just had fun if I liked the band or was bored if I didn’t . 
maybe I would need them at a death metal or speed metal gig, no idea but certainly not for commong rock gigs. I don‘ t know anyone besides kids who wears ear plugs. And of course security cause usually they don’t like the music there and sometimes just wonder how crazy fans get ..

You know, with this level of arrogance, ignorance and cluelessness, I kinda start to wish you get to the point where you realize how wrong you were. Earplugs are a thing and people wear them at concerts, even if you're too blind to see it. Tinnitus after concerts are not a given, but they are a thing too. Even when you thought it wasn't too loud. Yes, a concert without earplugs sounds better most of the time, but hearing without Tinnitus is better too. So really, the people wo wear earplugs on their own volition, not caring what others might think about them, probably are the smarter ones.

I would always advise earplugs no matter what the situation, but I think it's different for everyone. 
My band rehearses in this tiny rehearsal space and I'd go deaf for sure if I didn't wear earplugs. 
I actually didn't use them for a couple of songs the other day during some quieter songs, and it took over a month before my ears felt normal again.
I'll never do that again. But my drummer never wears earplugs. And from what he says, he doesn't experience any problems after rehearsal.
Maybe this is because he's a drummer and already deaf anyway, haha, but I think it's insane how he can cope with such loud sounds.

21 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

You know, with this level of arrogance, ignorance and cluelessness, I kinda start to wish you get to the point where you realize how wrong you were. Earplugs are a thing and people wear them at concerts, even if you're too blind to see it. Tinnitus after concerts are not a given, but they are a thing too. Even when you thought it wasn't too loud. Yes, a concert without earplugs sounds better most of the time, but hearing without Tinnitus is better too. So really, the people wo wear earplugs on their own volition, not caring what others might think about them, probably are the smarter ones.

I am sorry Patrick but you don’t know anything about me, so don‘t you call me arrogant, ignorant and clueless ok? 

thank you ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I would always advise earplugs no matter what the situation, but I think it's different for everyone. 
My band rehearses in this tiny rehearsal space and I'd go deaf for sure if I didn't wear earplugs. 
I actually didn't use them for a couple of songs the other day during some quieter songs, and it took over a month before my ears felt normal again.
I'll never do that again. But my drummer never wears earplugs. And from what he says, he doesn't experience any problems after rehearsal.
Maybe this is because he's a drummer and already deaf anyway, haha, but I think it's insane how he can cope with such loud sounds.

That s what I am saying: it s different for everyone, people are not the same and me I never had the feeling I would want ear plugs cause I am enjoying the music. I am almost always front row - maybe I am a bear 🐻 but I feel super comfortable and party front row without having issues. Worst thing that happened was Munich where one ear felt a bit strange after GNR s terrible sound there, but after 4,5 hours all was good. So in 35 years of concert going I was fine, whereas other s maybe feel different because for them it is loud. It s like some people can eat anything and mix all kind of stuff and will never get sick and others have a delicate stomach - people and their bodys are different 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Bit rude.

There is no right or wrong, it's personal choice. You worry about your ears and don't be rude about opinions which differ from yours.

• Thanks 1

That s what I am saying: it s different for everyone, people are not the same and me I never had the feeling I would want ear plugs cause I am enjoying the music. I am almost always front row - maybe I am a bear 🐻 but I feel super comfortable and party front row without having issues. Worst thing that happened was Munich where one ear felt a bit strange after GNR s terrible sound there, but after 4,5 hours all was good. So in 35 years of concert going I was fine, whereas other s maybe feel different because for them it is loud. It s like some people can eat anything and mix all kind of stuff and will never get sick and others have a delicate stomach - people and their bodys are different 

Oh, I still think it's not good, you only need one bad experience to get hearing damage.
And that's the worse, I don't want to sound melodramatic, but it has driven people to suicide, imagine hearing a ringing in your ear 24/7.
But I do think some people experience it quicker than others. I seem to have a very good hearing, better than most people I know, so I just can't bear loud sounds and that's why I prefer earplugs, it's a safety issue and without them it's just too damn loud for me.

• Like 2