1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

I do not consider what he did for the past three or four years as being responsible with his voice. I am not even commenting on whether he has vocal damage etc. If he does though, and continued for the past 4 years to try and do stuff he no longer could, then that's not being responsible and it has just ruined his voice further.

I'm kind of lost in this discussion.  What did he do exactly not to take care of it?  Most of those years he wasn't even on stage due to covid.

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm kind of lost in this discussion.  What did he do exactly not to take care of it?  Most of those years he wasn't even on stage due to covid.

There's like three years of footage of him totally losing control of his voice, wheezing, cracking etc. People seem to be suggesting that this is just because he couldn't do it any more or because he's old. I'm saying that's not being responsible. If you can no longer do something vocally, doing it over and over horribly is not responsible.

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

There's like three years of footage of him totally losing control of his voice, wheezing, cracking etc. People seem to be suggesting that this is just because he couldn't do it any more or because he's old. I'm saying that's not being responsible. If you can no longer do something vocally, doing it over and over horribly is not responsible.

The AC/DC tour probably damaged his voice, and the continued NITL touring made his voice deteriorate. It started to crack consistently on songs like Hell's Bells and For Those About To Rock, then carried over to the GNR shows and as the tour went on he seemed to push himself harder for diminishing results.

I don't think Duff is lying when he says Axl does vocal exercises, but who knows what those exercises are. If you listen to something like the Iceland 2018 IEM, those are not healthy sounding vocals. They should have taken a break from touring after the marathon LA 2017 show.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

The issue is Axl doesn’t seem to accept his voice is deteriorating and doesn’t do anything to make the situation better for himself. Think about some of the things he could do, that other bands do, that he doesn’t:

Lower the songs keys.

Getting heavier backing vocals to be able to rest on a few high notes.

Release new music with songs easier to sing to fill out the set.

Change the style of singing (something he only did when he absolutely has to)

Change the set to include easier/slower songs and only going for highs on the absolute hits.

Instead, Axl has been adding songs like Black in Back, Coma nightly, Reckless Life, rehearsing stuff like TWAT, Hard Skool. All things cool to see but extremely irresponsible considering the current state of his voice. I’m sure he does some warm ups and warm downs, I’m sure he’s aware his voice is rough, and I feel deeply for anxiety- but quite simply, Axl does not take care of his voice and does himself no favors. It’s as bad of a state as it’s in mostly due to him and him alone. Age is inevitable- work with it instead of against it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

Oh I thought we were talking about him taking care of his voice.  I don't know what he needs to do for that.  As far as I know he could be warming up every morning signing for his breakfast and thast's what he needs to do. Maybe he'll make a statement about his voice issues. 

I don't find his signing horrible.  It's not perfect on every song.  It's a live show and they are doing many of them.  I don't recall going to concerts where there was perfect vocals all the time from the bands I was seeing but it's something when I'm there you just flow along with and it doesn't ruin the whole show.

But I guess if it's gotten to a point where Axl has started to freak out about it, he'll look for a solution.  He does like to get it right, that much we know about him.  As long as he doesn't retire.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The issue is Axl doesn’t seem to accept his voice is deteriorating and doesn’t do anything to make the situation better for himself. Think about some of the things he could do, that other bands do, that he doesn’t:

Lower the songs keys.

Getting heavier backing vocals to be able to rest on a few high notes.

Release new music with songs easier to sing to fill out the set.

Change the style of singing (something he only did when he absolutely has to)

Change the set to include easier/slower songs and only going for highs on the absolute hits.

Instead, Axl has been adding songs like Black in Back, Coma nightly, Reckless Life, rehearsing stuff like TWAT, Hard Skool. All things cool to see but extremely irresponsible considering the current state of his voice. I’m sure he does some warm ups and warm downs, I’m sure he’s aware his voice is rough, and I feel deeply for anxiety- but quite simply, Axl does not take care of his voice and does himself no favors. It’s as bad of a state as it’s in mostly due to him and him alone. Age is inevitable- work with it instead of against it.

The Dead added a new signer to take on those songs the current singer couldn't do any more.  He's actually become of the primary signing voice of the band which is kind of cool because it passes the torch to a new generation and hopefully the music as a body of work will continue on after the members who formed the band no longer perform.

Lowering (or just adjusting it) the song key is really, really bad though. Unless it's with a different arrangement, it sounds worse than how it sounds now IMO.

Of course I'm not saying he should do this or that, just pointing out this option's consequence for me.

Some people are saying shit about Axl and he's firing back about how many voice changes he can do in a 3 hour show. 

I would like to see some of these people do a 3 hour show and run around the stage and sing too at Axl's age or for that matter any age. It's not easy and we all know Axl gives 110%. 

Anyone who's seen GNR knows how hard this band works and I love that each member has a chance to shine with a solo.

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Lowering (or just adjusting it) the song key is really, really bad though. Unless it's with a different arrangement, it sounds worse than how it sounds now IMO.

Of course I'm not saying he should do this or that, just pointing out this option's consequence for me.

Well, since the beginning of GNR Axl has always had many voice changes and some fans thought GNR had two lead singers. It's not easy these days running around a stage and actually singing at the same time. The man is 60 years old give him a break

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

20 hours ago, cineater said:

Actually there is more evidence he does prepare and takes care of his voice if you read back through past comments from Axl.

The fact that his BMI is so high tells you that he's clearly not doing everything in his power to give the best show possible like he claims. If he was, he'd be lean and mean and able to run around the stage still (maybe not like he use to, but you get the point). Also, Axl was smoking cigars and drinking as recently as the early 10's... and those two things can and will cause permanent damage to the vocal chords.

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, since the beginning of GNR Axl has always had many voice changes and some fans thought GNR had two lead singers. It's not easy these days running around a stage and actually singing at the same time. The man is 60 years old give him a break

Like I said, the comment wasn't about what Axl should do to save his voice. Just a side-effect that I dislike, and that's a lot more about how the instrumental sounds. 

7 hours ago, Nintari said:

The fact that his BMI is so high tells you that he's clearly not doing everything in his power to give the best show possible like he claims. If he was, he'd be lean and mean and able to run around the stage still (maybe not like he use to, but you get the point). Also, Axl was smoking cigars and drinking as recently as the early 10's... and those two things can and will cause permanent damage to the vocal chords.

You know his BMI or just guessing?  I'm thinking of Meatloaf and some opera singers who are pretty hefty people.  You so sure BMI has anything to do with singing ability?  I don't think running around the stage is a requirement of a good performance.  Believe me I wouldn't want him chasing my ass down.  He does good enough there.

I don't know about the permanent damage to his vocal chords but yeah, the man ain't a saint.  :lol:  I'm not going to pass judgement on when he goes to bed, has sex, a few drinks or the occasional cigar/toke.  He's human, not machine.  Besides none of us wants to live up to Richard and Duff.  It's their lifestyle, not one most people practice.

• Like 1

Down tuning some songs is not the worst idea. GNR songs are already a half step down. Zeppelin down tuned in 2007 and the songs sounded cool still

Honestly, I think he should utilize his low voice more and then save the “Axl” voice for the screams. 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, Nintari said:

Ok 🙄

On 7/7/2022 at 10:06 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Some people are saying shit about Axl and he's firing back about how many voice changes he can do in a 3 hour show. 

I would like to see some of these people do a 3 hour show and run around the stage and sing too at Axl's age or for that matter any age. It's not easy and we all know Axl gives 110%. 

Anyone who's seen GNR knows how hard this band works and I love that each member has a chance to shine with a solo.

Hm, how hard this band works.. 

As a long time fan and having seem them numerous times throughout the years , this year I don t have the impression that Duff or Slash are working hard. Slash just noodles something out, moves barely to the other side of the stage. Duff doesn’t communicate that much with the audience as he used to , he just does his „thing“ with not one percent more than needed. 

axl seems the only guy who puts in his heart in this tour, even more now with his voice issues. Kudos to him. But the band in general seems quite annoyed if I compare them to other bands. I really don’t think they put much effort in it. At least it doesn’t seem so. Will see them tomorrow again in Vienna. Let s see 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Natty said:

Hm, how hard this band works.. 

As a long time fan and having seem them numerous times throughout the years , this year I don t have the impression that Duff or Slash are working hard. Slash just noodles something out, moves barely to the other side of the stage. Duff doesn’t communicate that much with the audience as he used to , he just does his „thing“ with not one percent more than needed. 

axl seems the only guy who puts in his heart in this tour, even more now with his voice issues. Kudos to him. But the band in general seems quite annoyed if I compare them to other bands. I really don’t think they put much effort in it. At least it doesn’t seem so. Will see them tomorrow again in Vienna. Let s see 

@Stay.Of.Executionwhat s so laughable about my post? From all the bands I ve seen GNR have become the most boring one. Who in this band put s an effort in the gigs? 

they just reel off a superlong set and that s it. For me they got worse/ more boring from tour to tour, so next time I am fine to see them once. 

There are several kick ass bands out there who love what they do, produce albums regularly and do what bands do … in the meanwhile in the gnr camp: „which shitty merch could we offer instead of new music?“

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Natty said:

@Stay.Of.Executionwhat s so laughable about my post? From all the bands I ve seen GNR have become the most boring one. Who in this band put s an effort in the gigs? 

they just reel off a superlong set and that s it. For me they got worse/ more boring from tour to tour, so next time I am fine to see them once. 

There are several kick ass bands out there who love what they do, produce albums regularly and do what bands do … in the meanwhile in the gnr camp: „which shitty merch could we offer instead of new music?“

I find it funny that some random fan who sees duff and slash for 3 hours on one night dares to say that they don't put any work in what they do. Stupid talk 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I find it funny that some random fan who sees duff and slash for 3 hours on one night dares to say that they don't put any work in what they do. Stupid talk 

😂😂😂 random fan, that s a good one! You made me laugh

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I find it funny that someone who seems to be a fanboy uses ear plugs during a rock concert 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Natty said:

I find it funny that someone who seems to be a fanboy uses ear plugs during a rock concert 

Tinnitus and permanent hearing damage are so much cooler 😎

I don't get how not everyone protects their hearing nowadays. There's great earplugs specifically for concerts. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Lio said:

Tinnitus and permanent hearing damage are so much cooler 😎

I don't get how not everyone protects their hearing nowadays. There's great earplugs specifically for concerts. 

Sorry but you don’t get tinnitus from a usual rock concert! I am always front row so I get the whole experience and I never had tinnitus. . . I am 44 years old now and have been to loads of rock concerts from club gigs to stadium tours but I never ever would use an ear plug.

besides if I was already ill..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Natty said:

Sorry but you don’t get tinnitus from a usual rock concert! I am always front row so I get the whole experience and I never had tinnitus. . . I am 44 years old now and have been to loads of rock concerts from club gigs to stadium tours but I never ever would use an ear plug.

besides if I was already ill..

Stop spreading lies. You can definitely get tinnitus from a rock concert. A lot of people do. There are thousands of people who have gotten tinnitus from their first rock show. Decibels in a rock show usually vary from 90 to 120 decibels. Scientists recommend no more than 15 minutes of unprotected exposure to sounds that are 100 decibels.

Everyone should use earplugs at rock shows. If you go to a lot shows, you should buy plugs specifically designed for gigs. Your ears start to naturally distort louder sounds anyway, so good earplugs actually enhance the musical experience. This isn't the 1970's. There is nothing uncool about using earplugs. You're not a lesser fan, if you do. That's just horse shit. You get one set of ears. Protect them.

Count yourself lucky that you don't have tinnitus.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Stop spreading lies. You can definitely get tinnitus from a rock concert. A lot of people do. There are thousands of people who have gotten tinnitus from their first rock show. Decibels in a rock show usually vary from 90 to 120 decibels. Scientists recommend no more than 15 minutes of unprotected exposure to sounds that are 100 decibels.

Everyone should use earplugs at rock shows. If you go to a lot shows, you should buy plugs specifically designed for gigs. Your ears start to naturally distort louder sounds anyway, so good earplugs actually enhance the musical experience. This isn't the 1970's. There is nothing uncool about using earplugs. You're not a lesser fan, if you do. That's just horse shit. You get one set of ears. Protect them.

Count yourself lucky that you don't have tinnitus.

The noise at airports or building suites is far more loud than a rock concert. That s a fact. 

no one of my friends who also visit a lot of rock shows and are all over 40 and from countries of all over the world has tinnitus. So we all must be very lucky. 🍀

Edited by Natty