European Tour 2022 thoughts

So apparently Guns just finished 2022 European Tour last night in Germany. I still hope that Glasgow will be rescheluded so the fans over there get to see the show!

What are your thoughts of the tour?

I was lucky enough to be able to attend Prague and both London shows!

I think this tour was a lot better than 2018 European tour and thats because of the energy they had playing on stage! Axl and Slash seemed both be enjoying themselfs. In 2018 they seemed a bit tired of the constant touring.

For me Prague concert was an amazing experince that I wasnt expecting. I was 10 meters away from stage and dead center. Axl gave it his all and so did the rest of the band. Long setlist with a few songs I hadnt seen them perform before (new songs, Reckless, Crazy).

London shows were a bit underwhelming after that. Great shows anyway.

Share your thoughts and experiences!

• Like 1

I went to the concert in Sevilla and comparing It with the one I have attend which was in Barcelona 2018, I can say the Sevilla one was incredible, lots of energy from the band that the crowd also had, songs that I haven't heard live never ( Coma, Reckless Life, Hardskool, absurd...)

A pretty solid performance from them if I compare It to the Barcelona one!

• Like 2

Seems this tour had some real highs and some lows (Glasgow postponement and London issues). Everyone at all the gigs have said unanimously that the energy of the band shines through compared to a few years ago which is great.

@Fernando a selects of the European run would be awesome. If it happens…PLEASE include Reckless Life…..this was a highlight for sure.

• Like 2

I was at the lisbon show

Really liked the setlist (with an exception), reckless was a great surprise and it was really fun to see hardskool and absurd live. Axl's voice wasn't has good has it was in  previous years, but at the show i does really matter much to me, plus the band sounded great. Although, I have to say that I'm still livid that they didn't play don't cry for the second time in portugal (and I still want to hear madagascar live, maybe next time).

• Like 2

While I'm in the US and didn't get to see any shows live, purely as an online spectator, I will say that they kind of impressed me, from everything I seen from the tour. Sure, Axl's vocals are horrendous and Slash's playing has progressively gotten worse, but Axl has looked and acted better than he has in years. He legitimately looks like he's having a good time and putting in effort for the first time in years and years. 

Warsaw and London Night 2 - got both the longest and shortest shows of the tour! Despite the shorter set, I loved Axl’s low voice and I’m so pleased I finally got to hear Madagascar and Don’t Cry in Warsaw. Here’s to the next tour!

Edited by brad_k
  • Like 3

Definitely following the setlists that changed from night to night, as well as Axl's vocal progress and form of the band in general was exciting ! This tour offered a lot of variety.

I was at the Warsaw show, and feel lucky to once again (after Chorzów 2018) witness the longest show of the tour/leg.

I highly recommend that everyone watch Shadow of Your Love from this show, like I said before on the forums, it was a top performance, with 2016-level vocals from Axl.

Edited by swirkh
  • Like 2

I’ll be honest, as a spectator, I thought this was one of the worst legs since NITL began. I’m not saying it would’ve been a bad experience in person, concerts are way better there and I likely would’ve gone if I was in Europe, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

The tour started with a really damn sour note for me considering the lack of new material. I would’ve had no expectations if Slash didn’t say in the interview there would be new songs probably in June. I have been really bored of NITL since 2017, and 2021 was one of my favorite years because of Absurd and Hard Skool. Was exciting and really made following the shows a treat. Now we’re back in the 2017-2019 territory where the band is cashing it in. Axl’s also just completely blown his voice out. He did the baritone voice for one show, with the London shows being short for GNR standards, and Glasgow being canceled. While I have empathy for Axl’s anxiety and vocal issues, him not taking care of his voice since 2017 is responsible for that. Back in Black was really hard to listen to as a result, and sounded really off to me. SOD was a nice surprise, but Slash showed a real amateur side of him by phoning in the solos, by and large. The setlist to me felt like the band wanted more AFD nostalgia rather than pushing forward new material, which made it harder for me to appreciate Reckless and You’re Crazy, not to mention the fast version is way inferior.

I might get some shit for this, again, I am sure it would’ve been a great time in person, but as a major fan who’s been following this band for years, this leg really felt like one of their worst. Hoping SA has a new song or a changed setlist to accommodate Axl’s dying voice.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I was in the Seville show. Worst experience I've ever had in a concert.

I only went because they played in my town. I went with very low expectations, not expecting a good performance nor new songs.

I didn't really notice how bad or good was Axl performance, it's true, sometimes you just can't notice how bad he is, but the setlist was just boring to me, a lot of the songs I loved like Better, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, Don't Cry were not played there, but a lot of stuff I don't really care, like Back in Black, Wichita Lineman, I wanna be your dog, You're Crazy or Reckless life.

But the main reason I had such a bad experience was because of how much filler is in the show. It's way too long, and it's filled with stretched out songs that last way longer than they should, getting boring and boring with these neverending Slash solos. (Rocket Queen... KOHD...)

Solo spots like Slash noodling and Duff's I wanna be your dog are more and more filler that is just unnecesary for an already too long show.

I was bored, I didn't enjoy the experience. 

Still, this tour is pretty much stupid to me. Fleebis announced it like it was an ALL NEW SHOW a couple of years ago, and it's another pointless tour that isn't promoting anything, and just the band touring with the same music (and 2 new songs) as they have been for 14 years ago.

The NITL lineup is already in the same situation as was New GNR back in 2014... 6 years of neverending touring without releasing shit, radio silence from the frontman, no interviews, nothing, just a guitar player saying they are working on new stuff every now and then. It's just this time is Slash except Fortus.

If they wouldn't have went to my town, I wouldn't have attended, and I won't go to any GNR show ever again if no new album is released.

Wow - I can’t imagine many folk not being fussed for these two! Reckless Life was awesome and a big surprise. I can understand people not being fussed for Wichita - although I personally think they do a brilliant version. Totally agree on the extended RQ and KOHD…..RQ is my favourite GNR tune but the song loses momentum with the mid-song jam.

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Wow - I can’t imagine many folk not being fussed for these two! Reckless Life was awesome and a big surprise. I can understand people not being fussed for Wichita - although I personally think they do a brilliant version. Totally agree on the extended RQ and KOHD…..RQ is my favourite GNR tune but the song loses momentum with the mid-song jam.

I could have been excited with these when I was 20... nowadays I'm just tired of AFD sessions music

I got older, I appreciate more serious and mature songs.

It doesn't really excite me to see these songs from a band that hasn't released an album in 14 years, that have toured for 6 years straight simce the reunion with no album and milking as much as possible the AFD imagery / nostalgia and has had Axl cosplaying his AFD era 20 something year old self for so long (he is starting to look baddass tho)

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I could have been excited with these when I was 20... nowadays I'm just tired of AFD sessions music

I got older, I appreciate more serious and mature songs.

It doesn't really excite me to see these songs from a band that hasn't released an album in 14 years, that have toured for 6 years straight simce the reunion with no album and milking as much as possible the AFD imagery / nostalgia and has had Axl cosplaying his AFD era 20 something year old self for so long (he is starting to look baddass tho)

Fair enough - I get that. I’m no spring chicken myself - but have always loved Reckless Life and even now can still dig it.

Some ‘new’ material is definitely needed though - agreed.

The band seemed to have a great time playing in front of some energetic crowds. I didn’t watch too many of the livestreams, but I did like that they shuffled the set around a bit and made it less predictable. It was dope hearing “Reckless Life” and “Street of Dreams.” And despite Axl losing his voice there, it gave us an opportunity to hear him try songs with a different vocal approach; low register where we usually get high clean. And I dug it!

All that said, I am completely disheartened that despite hints and even an official statement from Slash that new songs were releasing “as we speak,” there was absolutely nothing. I’m really not sure what in the world they’re waiting on, especially since anything new that drops will almost certainly be reworked “Atlas” or “Perhaps.” It isnt like they’re putting the finishing touches on some 12-song album. So why the long wait?

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’ll be honest, as a spectator, I thought this was one of the worst legs since NITL began. I’m not saying it would’ve been a bad experience in person, concerts are way better there and I likely would’ve gone if I was in Europe, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

The tour started with a really damn sour note for me considering the lack of new material. I would’ve had no expectations if Slash didn’t say in the interview there would be new songs probably in June. I have been really bored of NITL since 2017, and 2021 was one of my favorite years because of Absurd and Hard Skool. Was exciting and really made following the shows a treat. Now we’re back in the 2017-2019 territory where the band is cashing it in. Axl’s also just completely blown his voice out. He did the baritone voice for one show, with the London shows being short for GNR standards, and Glasgow being canceled. While I have empathy for Axl’s anxiety and vocal issues, him not taking care of his voice since 2017 is responsible for that. Back in Black was really hard to listen to as a result, and sounded really off to me. SOD was a nice surprise, but Slash showed a real amateur side of him by phoning in the solos, by and large. The setlist to me felt like the band wanted more AFD nostalgia rather than pushing forward new material, which made it harder for me to appreciate Reckless and You’re Crazy, not to mention the fast version is way inferior.

I might get some shit for this, again, I am sure it would’ve been a great time in person, but as a major fan who’s been following this band for years, this leg really felt like one of their worst. Hoping SA has a new song or a changed setlist to accommodate Axl’s dying voice.

Great post. The tour definitely started on a sour note after Slash's comments about new songs in June.

No one is denying the shows are fun in person, and after covid it's nice just to go to big concerts again. But this tour was a new low point for Axl, his voice is completely fucked and he's gone viral for his ridiculous performances. I keep reading comments like "he sounds just like 2017"... maybe he sounds as good as the very worst 2017 shows? Have we really gotten to the point where that's something to be happy about? Honestly the only show where he sounded good on this tour was the 2nd London show. He should be singing Nightrain, Civil War, KOHD, etc. like that at every show, they sounded so much better when he wasn't straining for the high notes.

You're Crazy was a highlight of the 2021 shows but Axl is all over the place on the AFD version. It's kinda cool they did the AFD version, but it should be abandoned. Same with the AC/DC covers. SOD was a mess...

And dedicating Civil War to Ukraine seemed a bit tone deaf. Maybe KOHD would've made more sense, or they could've done a Ukranian song instead of Blackbird or something. Hopefully Axl gets his voice together and makes smarter setlist choices for the rest of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite simply, underwhelming. 

The band were great, Axl not so, feeble setlists (kudos for reckless life) and piss poor organisation but fuck me just write new songs instead of learning more and more covers.

Also, the whole pandering to the media exaggeration of the whole Ukraine situation - like covid to excuse constant price hikes - is exactly what GNR stood against once upon a time...  once violent criticisers of the media, now absolute media shaggers for some remotely positive publicity. 

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My London show was very underwhelming. I was glad it was only 2 hours and not 3. A 3 hour set is bloated with filler and boring jams.

There were songs I really enjoyed like You're Crazy. Some just OK and others were a borefest. 

I did gets Reckless or Hardskool which was a bummer.

Witchita is just shit. Why is it played at every show like it's a Guns classic and Axl sounds so bad on Slither.

I don't think I'll go to another show unless there's a big change in the set including new songs.

I don't really get how people go to multiple shows and every one is amazing! It was in 2017 and 2017 but not now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

And dedicating Civil War to Ukraine seemed a bit tone deaf. Maybe KOHD would've made more sense, or they could've done a Ukranian song instead of Blackbird or something.

But why? Without wanting to get into a discussion about Ukraine, I don't see why Civil War is not appropriate for what they want to express (which is basically the mainstream perception and sentiment about what's going on there).  I don't think the lyrics are literally about a civil war (as in a war between people of the same country/nation).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But why? Without wanting to get into a discussion about Ukraine, I don't see why Civil War is not appropriate for what they want to express (which is basically the mainstream perception and sentiment about what's going on there).  I don't think the lyrics are literally about a civil war (as in a war between people of the same country/nation).

I appreciate why they played it, but it's a bit odd to dedicate 'Civil War' in this context.

Which show was it where Axl did a short rant about Putin?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I appreciate why they played it, but it's a bit odd to dedicate 'Civil War' in this context.

The title "Civil War" may make it a bit odd, yes, but I don't think the song itself is inappropriate for the message they want to send.

Which show was it where Axl did a short rant about Putin?

I think it was early on the tour, probably in Prague.

• Like 1

still good, still a unique live experience, but time is running out for Gn'R to move forward even in the most minimal way from being just a really great nostalgia act. Axl is starting to show first serious signs of age but it also makes me appreciate what we have even more cause this is the last era of Gn'R where Axl can give us mostly all the elements that make it Gn'R imho. He's still singing Reckless Life and Coma so at least the man doesn't seem to have any plans of giving up which is fuckin' awesome.

• Like 1