European Tour 2022 thoughts

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But why? Without wanting to get into a discussion about Ukraine, I don't see why Civil War is not appropriate for what they want to express (which is basically the mainstream perception and sentiment about what's going on there).  I don't think the lyrics are literally about a civil war (as in a war between people of the same country/nation).

It's a song about how media instigate (and exaggerate) war, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer from it. Sounds familiar...

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kanecrescente said:

It's a song about how media instigate (and exaggerate) war

That's an interesting interpretation. Personally, I don't see that it is mainly about media's role in wars but more being a straight forward anti-war song.

And yeah, I think the title is not so much referring to wars between people in the same country, but used because it is an oxymoron and wars are anything but civil. 

• Like 2

I think the energy was higher, mainly because axl is in his best shape physically since 2010. However, no new music AGAIN. This is the 3rd time theyve been to europe as a reunion. and 5th time since chinese democracy was released. It's a good setlist, generally hits the casuals and the hardcores well. No pyro, fireworks, no confetti was a bit underwhelming. No GnR dont need those things, but in a stadium basically as a nostalgia act charging £100 a ticket, they should be giving a bit more of a show. Don't need to be KISS or Motley Crue, but something other than just the songs. Good energy, but shit they didnt release any more new songs and make this a tour of the new album. 

Edited by JimiRose
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Didn't attend a show but based on reviews from members here it seemed to have been a great tour. I also really liked the inclusion of Reckless Life and how Axl can still sing it like he did in the 80s. They also varied the sets more than usual. 

:lol: Shitmonster.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

Quite simply, underwhelming. 

The band were great, Axl not so, feeble setlists (kudos for reckless life) and piss poor organisation but fuck me just write new songs instead of learning more and more covers.

Also, the whole pandering to the media exaggeration of the whole Ukraine situation - like covid to excuse constant price hikes - is exactly what GNR stood against once upon a time...  once violent criticisers of the media, now absolute media shaggers for some remotely positive publicity. 

The pandering to the Ukrainian situation is an embarrassment, dedicating civil war to the Ukraine is an embarrassment, it’s not a civil war 😂 everything they once stood for has gone, just another band playing along with the media narrative, very sad to see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Paulywauly said:

The pandering to the Ukrainian situation is an embarrassment, dedicating civil war to the Ukraine is an embarrassment, it’s not a civil war 😂 everything they once stood for has gone, just another band playing along with the media narrative, very sad to see.

I feel it atittude enough demagogic.specially the Ucraine flag on stage.

Edited by Ratam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder if the response to this by the crowds in South America will be the same as by the crowds in Europe.

It depend about anyone think about it. In my country has loot of people catch about the media narrative. Many people isn't form their own mind. You realize it when heard people repeat word by word whatever the media says.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

My only though is that if he doesn’t choose to sing in his normal talking voice, he is crazy. Sounded so much better that way,,,,better than he had in last few years. Outside of that, it was same show, just a different leg of never ending tour. 

Edited by Trin9498
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

I actually shed a tear during the 2nd night performance of Estranged, I don’t even know why exactly either, but I guess I just got caught up in the moment and of course it’s definitely one of the songs from GN’R’s catalogue that has the potential to elicit such strong feelings being an epic ballad.

My take on both London shows overall is that they were a chaotic mess organisationally as well as from the band’s performance by and large, but I wasn’t that mad at the whole experience like many others as it just felt like rock n’ roll to me.

It was unpredictable and it was exciting and I don’t regret a second of it, even after the fact I was sicker than I’ve been in years for a week afterwards as I gotta nasty virus.

Seeing tracks live for the first time such as Hard Skool, Absurd and Reckless Life meant I was able to look past the lack of Don’t Cry both nights as had seen performances of that back in London ‘17 1&2 as well as Download.

A final takeaway for me is that this band means a lot to me and I won’t take for granted any opportunity to see Axl and Slash live on stage any chance that presents itself… 

Whilst there were many negatives, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Also one to get emotional during estranged, the Bass reverberating around the whole stadium during Dizzy's bit set me off😂

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Like 1

I was at both London shows. The first one was decent after the sound issues in the first few songs although the short set list was pretty poor. Was even worse the second night but at least Axl explained and did his best to get through. I’ve see shows on each of these European legs (slane/London/Barcelona) and think these were the worst shows. I felt like they seemed burnt out and got the impression they just wanted to get the tour over and done with. The lack of pyro was pretty poor but the setlist is getting really boring now.  Drop the covers and songs played for years. Bring in songs like pretty tied up, move to the city, nice boys (I’m aware this is a cover but at least Is on a GNR album)  the garden, bad obsession and just freshen it up a bit. 
Feel a bit short changed if I’m honest. Hoping Slash and Axl’s recent comments about seeing us sooner than we think means we may get a tour next year with some changes to the show? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stezmacc said:

I was at both London shows. The first one was decent after the sound issues in the first few songs although the short set list was pretty poor. Was even worse the second night but at least Axl explained and did his best to get through. I’ve see shows on each of these European legs (slane/London/Barcelona) and think these were the worst shows. I felt like they seemed burnt out and got the impression they just wanted to get the tour over and done with. The lack of pyro was pretty poor but the setlist is getting really boring now.  Drop the covers and songs played for years. Bring in songs like pretty tied up, move to the city, nice boys (I’m aware this is a cover but at least Is on a GNR album)  the garden, bad obsession and just freshen it up a bit. 
Feel a bit short changed if I’m honest. Hoping Slash and Axl’s recent comments about seeing us sooner than we think means we may get a tour next year with some changes to the show? 

Also agree with this, was very much autopilot throughout and 'short changed' is a common feeling amongst those who went London... GNR's GNR however and will certainly be back when they are.

• Like 1

I got to see them in Stavanger, Munchen, Wien and Hannover. 

I've enjoyed every show. Did not expect anything new, Reckless was a nice surprise.

Sadly our flight to London was cancelled, so I missed the two planned nights there. But at least the tickets got used by some guys here at MyGnr!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder if the response to this by the crowds in South America will be the same as by the crowds in Europe.

We'll just go and smash the shit out of each other and jump all together on GA :lol:

I don't think they'll emphasize so much on Ukraine down here like they did on Europe tho

• Like 2

Saw them before in ‘17 Prague and ‘18 Nijmegen. This tour in Vienna. 

I think it was the best out of those three, the energy and the soul Axl has put in his performance is something I haven’t seen before. He is running and interacting with the crowd way more now than in previous years, it was overall sublime. I wish the setlist was a little longer, but that is just me being a spoiled brat, cause in Prague and Nijmegen they played around 31 songs and this time only 27. I missed Dont Cry as it is one of my favourites, but I loved HS, Absurd, Reckless Life and Crazy, they sounded really good. Will surely attend again when they come to Europe. I hope until then they will release another song or two and get some new additions to the setlist: Bad Obsession, PTU, TAY. ❤️

• Like 3

Switching around the setlist was cool, we've been asking for that for years. Loved the addition of Reckless Life and AFD You're Crazy and I liked the AC/DC songs too, you can tell both Axl and Slash had fun playing those. Even though Axl struggled a little bit vocally I liked that he really seemed to be trying hard and doing the best that he could, even if there's less rasp. It didn't sound as weak as 2018.

The main thing that irritated me was the fact that Dizzy Frank and Melissa looked super bored the whole show (Melissa so much that she's got a barstool to sit on for half the show). I guess Dizzy gets a bit of a pass since he's been there for so long but there's plenty of videos where he's sitting at the piano not even looking at the crowd just lazily tapping the tambourine. For Melissa I get that she didn't come into it as a fan of the band or familiar with the music but now she's gotten to the "it's just a gig" level where it's clear that she's just on autopilot. Up until now I liked her youthful energy but now it's like she would rather be somewhere else. And with Frank I think if he's bored then he should leave and open it up to someone who will actually appreciate the gig and do the material justice, like someone who is actually a fan of the music. That approach is fine for something like Journey but this is different, this is GnR we're talking about. It needs a bit more energy and passion, esp when the singer is finally putting in some effort.

• Like 2

I went to the show in Sweden, and I was thoroughly disappointed. I had 2019 expectations but sadly got a lot less. The band was really off that night and it seemed like none of them wanted to be on that stage, Axl was rougher than ever and the setlist had a total of 8 covers (including Blackbird as well as KOHD and LALD). 

With that said though, I believe that was more of a problem with my specific show and not the tour leg as a whole. From what I've gathered they had great energy on a lot of shows and I really enjoyed the additions to, as well as the reshuffling off, the setlist.

I will definitely go see them again next time around, but my expectation will be a lot lower then they where this summer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Swedish said:

I went to the show in Sweden, and I was thoroughly disappointed. I had 2019 expectations but sadly got a lot less. The band was really off that night and it seemed like none of them wanted to be on that stage, Axl was rougher than ever and the setlist had a total of 8 covers (including Blackbird as well as KOHD and LALD). 

With that said though, I believe that was more of a problem with my specific show and not the tour leg as a whole. From what I've gathered they had great energy on a lot of shows and I really enjoyed the additions to, as well as the reshuffling off, the setlist.

I will definitely go see them again next time around, but my expectation will be a lot lower then they where this summer.

How can you say something like that, you were one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to hear the only performance of The Seeker this year. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1