Metallica Fans Point The Finger At Axl Rose

Three things can be true at once:

1. Tik Tok (and cancel culture in general) is a cancer on society.

2. James Hetfield was likely racist back in the day, especially in today's acceptance of what constitutes racism. 

3. Axl Rose was a massive asshole towards others back in the day and probably shouldn't be cited as a source here, all things considered. That being said, he was only one source out of a few that was used in that tik tok anyway. 

• Like 1

don't care. Their opinion don't mean much to me. Metallica and Gn'R are great bands which is where the focus should be cause people always tried to use a piece of music to make a silly point, it doesn't deserve paying attention to except as a joke imo.

• Like 3

"TikTok kids canceling Metallica because of Axl Rose obviously haven't heard Guns N' Roses song 'One in a Million,'" one person wrote on Twitter, citing a 1998 song from Rose's band that contains the N-word in its lyrics.

I can't tell if that's a typo or just more lazy journalism

• Haha 1

well, id like to think that Hetfield has grown since 1991 to not hold those thoughts anymore. I'd imagine it has to do with his apparantly sheltered upbringing, but still no excuse for the alleged statement

Also, TikTokers are cancer

• Like 1

Talk about storm in a teacup. So some young people found out that Hetfield was an awful man and now they talk about it on social media. So fucking what. It won't stop me from listening to Metallica and it won't stop Metallica from touring or releasing music. And btw, TikTok is pretty cool.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

"TikTok kids canceling Metallica because of Axl Rose obviously haven't heard Guns N' Roses song 'One in a Million,'" one person wrote on Twitter, citing a 1998 song from Rose's band that contains the N-word in its lyrics.

I can't tell if that's a typo or just more lazy journalism

Lost Chinese Democracy era material confirmed!!!!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Talk about storm in a teacup. So some young people found out that Hetfield was an awful man and now they talk about it on social media. So fucking what. It won't stop me from listening to Metallica and it won't stop Metallica from touring or releasing music. And btw, TikTok is pretty cool.

Yeah, this is all it is really. I'm younger than most here I'd say and I'm getting massive "get off my lawn" vibes from some of the posts in this thread lol.

Musicians are assholes. That's really not news. Axl is one of them, too. Anyone who acts like Rose is a saint needs to stop sniffing paint fumes. But yeah, everyone knows Hetfield and Ulrich were massive dicks back then. Fortunately, they seem to have matured since those days, as have many others. It's human nature.

Cancel culture itself is pretty stupid. The girl on TikTok proclaims that she isn't surprised by this behaviour of four white men from the 80s. Trying to combat racial epithets, nazi salutes, etc., with generalization based on race? Oookay then. Cancel yourself while you're at it then.

18 hours ago, Mendez said:

well, id like to think that Hetfield has grown since 1991 to not hold those thoughts anymore. I'd imagine it has to do with his apparantly sheltered upbringing, but still no excuse for the alleged statement

Also, TikTokers are cancer

The problem I have with it, is how everything is conveniently painted with broad strokes. Take the word racism, for instance. Everyone calls everyone and everything racist, when in fact, a true racist and true racism is extraordinarily rare, because it is the belief that a particular race is inherently less, no matter what. That a person is born into a lesser race, and there is nothing they can do to change that. Most people don't feel that way. Even people who hate black people don't usually feel that way. You have to get into skin head and Nazi territory before you start to see that sort of thing. So most people fall into lesser categories like bigotry and biases. But even bigotry is rare, compared to biases. Most people that are labeled racist, are really just biased against said race for a plethora of reasons. Growing up, I met tons of parents who held racial biases. Some of their kids, as well. Yet most of their stories were different. They all had their reasons for not liking black people, or Mexican people or whatever. But none of them ever said anything even close to falling into actual racism. So that's my issue with it.

As far as James and Axl goes, both would fall into the bias category imo. Axl gave his reasons when he was young, which were all based on having had bad experiences with certain minorities. They have a slew of unfortunate things happen to them, then they understandably form a dislike for a group of people because they're either too naive to know better, or they're just too exhausted by it all to give a shit. In Axl's case, it was the former.

But when it comes down to it, it's mostly all a bunch of bullshit. The people calling other people out online aren't doing it for morally sound reasons. Most of them are (in my opinion) suffering from some sort of behavioral or mood disorder, and ganging up on successful people as a way to make themselves feel better. The internet has given these types way too much control, and it's high time companies and people like us take it back.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 6:22 AM, RussTCB said:

Agreed. 

From what I can tell, here's how it works:

Learn the bare minimum about someone or some thing. 

Have a complete lack of understanding of nuance, personal growth or historical context. 

Attempt to "cancel" someone or some thing based on your own lack of knowledge. 

Call anyone who disagrees with you phobic or "ist" .

Declare yourself an expert.

Sit back and watch the likes and re shares roll in from the comfort of your parents house.

How can you say something like that!?  Do you realize how offensive that is to people  who live in the comfort of their parent's houses who clearly don't want to be burdened with historical context or nuance!? 

#cancelRuss

:D

• Haha 2