Use Your Illusion--filler myth

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

My World is fine for an experimental outro, but that's all it is, so it's not surprising that people rate it as the worst GNR 'song'.

I’ve never thought of it as a song, it’s more like a skit, such as found on hip hop albums of the same era 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I’ve never thought of it as a song, it’s more like a skit, such as found on hip hop albums of the same era 

But I always though MY WORLD as AXL's predictement to the future, he was highly influenced by Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Suffers, Ministry, and I think this was his way to make something "different" and that with the Nu Metal scene / industrial metal era would become the thing.

"My World" is the wrong song, for the wrong band at the wrong time, but nothing different than what Nine Inch Nails, Korn, Ministry, Limp Bizkit, Orgy, Deftones would do years later.

Being "My World" made and played by one of those bands would it be that bad?

1 hour ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

UYI aged magnificently, they're tastefully layered, cleverly diversified album with fantastic performances. Could they get better? Imho, no. To me it's the best album ever and nothing will top them, not even a new GNR album.

Agreed, but see I think the same about AFD, but not the acoustic side of Lies, I think is so nostalgic and sad nowdays.

29 minutes ago, Legendador said:

"My World" is the wrong song, for the wrong band at the wrong time, but nothing different than what Nine Inch Nails, Korn, Ministry, Limp Bizkit, Orgy, Deftones would do years later.

Nine Inch Nails’ debut record released in 1989. We really shouldn’t even imply “My World” was an influence. It was the other way around. 

As others have said, people always take “My World” way too seriously. Just like “Absurd” or other songs that aren’t considered A-listers. Not everything is going to be or is supposed to be “November Rain.” 

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

Nine Inch Nails’ debut record released in 1989. We really shouldn’t even imply “My World” was an influence. It was the other way around. 

As others have said, people always take “My World” way too seriously. Just like “Absurd” or other songs that aren’t considered A-listers. Not everything is going to be or is supposed to be “November Rain.” 

I've never said "My World" influenced any of those bands, but that the same style of music was used to exhaustion during the new metal, industrial metal era.

If "my world" was a song by any of those bands it would be considered a good song.

Just now, Legendador said:

I'm not predicting anything, I'm just saying the scene and the style fitted with the era.

your sentence I've replied to is just not true. You can't know what people would have thought of My World if it was released by other bands.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

your sentence I've replied to is just not true. You can't know what people would have thought of My World if it was released by other bands.

If I can't not know, you can't say it's not true, maybe you don't believe in it and that's fine.

It's just an opinion, not something else.

Edited by Legendador

Just now, Legendador said:

If I can't not know, you can't say it's not true, maybe you don't believe in it and that's fine.

yes, I can say it's not true cause it isn't and that is because My World was only released by Gn'R, not by other bands so there is no way to know that.

12 hours ago, Legendador said:

But I always though MY WORLD as AXL's predictement to the future, he was highly influenced by Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Suffers, Ministry, and I think this was his way to make something "different" and that with the Nu Metal scene / industrial metal era would become the thing.

Being "My World" made and played by one of those bands would it be that bad?

The concept of My World as a more realized industrial song with the rest of the band isn't a bad one but didn't he apparently record it himself without the other members realizing? Oh My God feels like a better attempt at it years later and My World at best should've been a B-Side because it's a jarring end to Use Your Illusion Ii.

Imagine if it was just one album? how even further starved the discography would be, so I'm glad they released them all. Filler or not is subjective, some people will like ones that others don't, so this alone makes it worthwhile including all. And, even though my world is mostly disliked, UYI were the perfect albums for it. sprawling, everything they had, why not stick it on there? I only hope Axl takes this approach to CD2. 28 songs, everything left, just release it!

• Like 4

On 11/19/2022 at 1:16 AM, mystery said:

The concept of My World as a more realized industrial song with the rest of the band isn't a bad one but didn't he apparently record it himself without the other members realizing? Oh My God feels like a better attempt at it years later and My World at best should've been a B-Side because it's a jarring end to Use Your Illusion Ii.

He did the same thing with Look At Your Game Girl, but I agree with Oh My God, the same with Silkworms / ABSURD.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

I don’t know that there’s any filler on the album for me. Back in the day before it came out I had read/possibly seen Axl say it was a dump of all the material they had and that they wanted to bury Appetite (Something along those lines) So I took it as that when it came out, 2 double albums of a lot of material. Some would be good and some wouldn’t. My World wasn’t even a surprise. It was a surprise how great almost every tune was. 

The illusions material that I don’t like is mostly because of Lyrics or Overdubs. Musically they’re all pretty great. Over 8 sides of vinyl, it’s more killer than filler. 

Duff… what were you thinking when you wrote those lyrics to So Fine…. Sometimes you just gotta blame the man and not the drugs…  

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Back Off Bitch really sticks out as a cheesy hair-metal leftover. You can definitely tell that Axl wrote the lyrics when he was a teenager, lol.

Goofy lyrics, but the music itself is pretty far from hair metal. It's just kickass rock and roll, like you would expect from Slash/Duff/Izzy. The Gunners had a unique sound compared to so many other bands of that time period. 

• Like 2

Here's my take:

Bangers, in no particular order:

- Dust N' Bones

- Double Talkin Jive

- November Rain

- Dead Horse

- Don't Cry

- Coma

- Civil War

- 14 Years

- Yesterdays