Sorry - a song against Narcissism

While I have definitely changed musical tastes & am not much of a rocker anmymore, I have to give Sorry the credit that it receives. It is an amazing song against Narcissists & Narcissism. Having grown up under the authoritarian environment of a Narcissistic Mother who has all 12/12 traits: I have been subjected to all these:

* Superiority & entitlement
* Exaggerated need for attention & validation
* Lack of responsibility - blaming & deflecting
* Lack of boundaries
* Lack of empathy
* Emotional reasoning
* Splitting
* Fear
* Anxiety
* Shame
* Inability to be truly vulnerable
* Inability to communicate or work as part of a team

The lyrics & the feel of Sorry truly do reveal & illustrate all these, with the slow, dark-bluesy feeling of the song & its emotional heaviness. Here is a performance from Sydney in 2010 that was nailed 100% perfectly. One can see me at 1:25 the guy with the bandana & longish hair banging his head:

As for the Anti-Narcissistic lyrics:

You like to hurt me you know that you do
You like to think in some way that its me and not you
You like to have me jump and be good, but I don't want to do it
You don't know why I wont act the way you think I should
You thought they'd make me, behave and submit

What were you thinking, cause I don't forget

You don't know why
I wont give in
To hell with the pressure
I'm not caving in
You know that I got under your skin
You sold your soul but I wont let you win
You talk to much
You say I do
Difference is know one cares about you

You've got all the answers
You know everything
Well nobody asked you
Its a mystery to me

I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me (not sorry for me)
You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe
I'm sorry for you

You don't know who you can trust now
But you should believe
You should believe
You close your eyes
All well and good
I'll kick your ass like I said that I would
You tell them story's they'd rather believe
Use and confuse them their numb and naive
Truth is the truth hurts don't you agree
Its harder to live with the truth about you
Than to live with the lies about me

Know body owes you
Not one god damn thing
You know where to put your
Just shut up and say

I'm sorry for you

You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe

I'm sorry for you

You chose to hurt those that love you and wont set them free

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

Not even close. Sorry is on par with shotgun blues and that song is terrible lyrically.  UYI has some of GNRs best lyrics 

I think it has some of the best and some of the worst. Axl lyrics are hit or miss I guess lol. I have a pretty high tolerance but I tap out (no pun intended) at the Get In The Ring rant, that one takes the crown for me 

Edited by Spaghetti4twenty
  • ABSUЯD 1

4 hours ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

I think it has some of the best and some of the worst. Axl lyrics are hit or miss I guess lol. I have a pretty high tolerance but I tap out (no pun intended) at the Get In The Ring rant, that one takes the crown for me 

The chorus is good on sorry but most of the lyrics are just Axl crying woah is me. The I dont want to do it, is probably the most embarrassing thing in an Axl song ever

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 3:29 AM, megaguns1982 said:

I like that little whistle along to “truth is the truth hurts, don’t you agree?”

I never noticed until a couple weeks ago. Weird decisions all over that album. “But I don’t want to do it,” is one where the producer should’ve slapped him.

Also, funny story about it. An ex once asked who Debra was and why she was so mean. “You know, ‘Debra says nobody cares about you.’” I still hear that every time.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

Having also grown up with a narcissistic mother, one of those lines threw me off of your thesis:

"Its harder to live with the truth about you
Than to live with the lies about me"

A true narcissist will never introspect and find the fault within themself. So, finding the truth about oneself as a narcissist is very rare. Anyway, I hope you went full no-contact as I did. Being around somebody that is mentally ill will make (and keep) you mentally ill.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 5:34 PM, The Black said:

Having also grown up with a narcissistic mother, one of those lines threw me off of your thesis:

"Its harder to live with the truth about you
Than to live with the lies about me"

A true narcissist will never introspect and find the fault within themself. So, finding the truth about oneself as a narcissist is very rare. Anyway, I hope you went full no-contact as I did. Being around somebody that is mentally ill will make (and keep) you mentally ill.

Yeah, the quote you put from the song speaks about the trait "lack of responsibility - blaming and deflecting". Some Narcissists can be less extreme, depecting on how many traits they possess. But imagine a Narcissist to the extreme, possessing all 12 or so traits & using you as their supply any second possible. It is enough to drive you crazy, but I've made the conclusion that it is just must easier to completely eject my Narcissistic Mother from my hands & let Karma or something alike deal with her; surely "the eyes of truth" are watching one as that New-Age musician Enigma once said in their song by such name.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, Cosmo said:

One of my least favorites from CD. Not only because of the lyrics, but because, back in 2010, we knew that if sorry popped in the setlist, it meant they’d be playing THAT set - the one they carried on playing until 2016 or something 😂

Not sure what set you were on about? Does that mean a CD heavy set? When they threw in Sorry that usually meant that they were adding songs to the preexisting set. This confused me😄

Love the song, I not a lyric guy though certain songs yes, but for the most part I listening to the vocal melody and the band unless something is either so good / bad I can't help but take further notice. Nothing agai at these lyrics. Heard better, heard worse.

44 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Not sure what set you were on about? Does that mean a CD heavy set? When they threw in Sorry that usually meant that they were adding songs to the preexisting set. This confused me😄

I just checked setlist.fm and Sorry didn't indicate which setlist they were gonna play - it was after LALD, if it was gonna be TIL or ITW. But I remember Sorry making me pissed in one of the concerts I went to. Could be RiR 2011. That must have been when I realized it was gonna be same old same old.

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I just checked setlist.fm and Sorry didn't indicate which setlist they were gonna play - it was after LALD, if it was gonna be TIL or ITW. But I remember Sorry making me pissed in one of the concerts I went to. Could be RiR 2011. That must have been when I realized it was gonna be same old same old.

Think the hint was Chinese, jungle, ISE, brownstone 😄