The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I just still after all this time don't get why Axl is not more proactive in putting music out there.  Like clearly after the whole Chinese debacle, with this reunion being filled with people (Slash and Duff) who are absolute workhorses outside of GNR, it is clear to me what the common demoninator would be as to the lack of action

I doubt a record label would infinitely delay the first comeback album of one of the biggest rock bands' reunions.  So for Axl is it perfectionism?  Fear of the material not being recieved well?  Just not wanting the stress anymore and just wanting to travel the world and tour?

Perfectionism is no longer a factor. See out of time vocal splice on Absurd, the cheesy cock rock school bell trope and re-using vocals from the Eye On You demo on Hard School, the flat and overcompressed mix on both. 

Say what you want about CD but the arrangements and dynamics of the mix on there were meticulous, clearly the work of someone obsessing over those songs. Many would argue that was to the album and songs detriment, but clearly he cared. 

These last two releases it seemed he'd stopped caring. It's also obvious he has zero interest in composing new music or laying new vocals. Slash has said point blank they have not written or recorded any new music together in the last 7 years, just reworked some of Axl's old stuff.

It's not that unusual either, for an artist of his age to be done writing and recording new songs. But the teases, false starts and implications that more is on the way followed by years of radio silence is what causes most of the griping from fans 

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rovim said:

what he said in 2006 is that there were 26 done, 32 in total that they had. I wasn't talking about what is likely to be released, only what Axl has completed with vocals and in 2014, he said the second half of Chinese was done, so enough material with vocals does exist, in some form. Axl has no reason to lie about it.

He did say 'Not in this lifetime' - That's his biggest lie! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Perfectionism is no longer a factor. See out of time vocal splice on Absurd, the cheesy cock rock school bell trope and re-using vocals from the Eye On You demo on Hard School, the flat and overcompressed mix on both. 

Say what you want about CD but the arrangements and dynamics of the mix on there were meticulous, clearly the work of someone obsessing over those songs. Many would argue that was to the album and songs detriment, but clearly he cared. 

These last two releases it seemed he'd stopped caring. It's also obvious he has zero interest in composing new music or laying new vocals. Slash has said point blank they have not written or recorded any new music together in the last 7 years, just reworked some of Axl's old stuff.

It's not that unusual either, for an artist of his age to be done writing and recording new songs. But the teases, false starts and implications that more is on the way followed by years of radio silence is what causes most of the griping from fans 

The out of time vocal on absurd is deliberate - it moves half a beat more into time each verse until it is in time for the final verse. This is just studio trickery to probably attempt to give the song some edge as it is generally quite basic. The rest I totally agree with

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

The out of time vocal on absurd is deliberate - it moves half a beat more into time each verse until it is in time for the final verse. This is just studio trickery to probably attempt to give the song some edge as it is generally quite basic. The rest I totally agree with

Fully agree, it just seems like a lazy post production trick and to my ears it's jarring, takes me out of the song 

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

He did say 'Not in this lifetime' - That's his biggest lie! 

You're not lying if you're just wrong. He probable thought back then that it would never happen.

Btw, the question to which he responded was whether there would be a reunion tour with full lineup, and so far that hasn't happened nor was it ever the intention to bring Steven back for a full tour, I think. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rovim said:

what he said in 2006 is that there were 26 done, 32 in total that they had. I wasn't talking about what is likely to be released, only what Axl has completed with vocals and in 2014, he said the second half of Chinese was done, so enough material with vocals does exist, in some form. Axl has no reason to lie about it.

The only reason to lie would be out of embarrassment... But I don't think that's the case. 

What I don't understand is why he offered the info without any idea of when or how he intended to release it. We were glad at the time to get the update, but that turned on it's arse a few months later when it became clear Slash and Duff were back.

I think he had a full album with vocals that he considered done. He doesn't have a huge history of lying. He does however have a huge history of not following through with things so people doubt him. 

Axl said it, and the current and past members all said it... There's material and almost certainly more than what we might potentially get from what they re-recorded.... But nobody here can say for sure what is and isn't. 

• Like 1

You always justifying Axl's dumb choices. It's clear that the moment he answers Not In This Lifetime, it's about Slash. Axl never said he would work with Steven Adler, Matt Sorum again. He just said over the years that he would get back to doing something with Izzy or Duff. When you watch a GNR concert with Slash, it feels like he's become a robot. Slash with Myles sounds much better. It's hard to accept, I know. But there's nothing to say that there's a new Guns album on the way. Axl owns the band, and he hasn't said anything since 2014. The others are just employees, and what they say isn't reliable to a point you can be happy with, there's just distrust on the part of the fans.

Edited by TheSlashrose
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The only reason to lie would be out of embarrassment... But I don't think that's the case. 

What I don't understand is why he offered the info without any idea of when or how he intended to release it. We were glad at the time to get the update, but that turned on it's arse a few months later when it became clear Slash and Duff were back.

I think he had a full album with vocals that he considered done. He doesn't have a huge history of lying. He does however have a huge history of not following through with things so people doubt him. 

Axl said it, and the current and past members all said it... There's material and almost certainly more than what we might potentially get from what they re-recorded.... But nobody here can say for sure what is and isn't. 

but besides what Axl said in the Revolver interview, why would Bumble say he worked on 30 tunes and why would he put his additional guitars on tunes which had no vocals? I'm not buying it. I don't believe Bach heard only 1 album either. Many people who worked with Axl talked about more than 1 album with vocals, including Brian May more than 2 decades ago.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

You always justifying Axl's dumb choices. It's clear that the moment he answers Not In This Lifetime, it's about Slash. Axl never said he would work with Steven Adler, Matt Sorum again. He just said over the years that he would get back to doing something with Izzy or Duff. When you watch a GNR concert with Slash, it feels like he's become a robot. Slash with Myles sounds much better. It's hard to accept, I know. But there's nothing to say that there's a new Guns album on the way. Axl owns the band, and he hasn't said anything since 2014. The others are just employees, and what they say isn't reliable to a point you can be happy with, there's just distrust on the part of the fans.

He was quite probably thinking about Slash, yes (although the question was undoubtedly about a full reunion), which makes the choice to call the tour the Not In This Lifetime tour a brilliant joke on himself and how wrong he had been. Wrong, not deceitful. 

I am sorry to hear you find it hard to accept that you think Slash is better with Miles. 

And you are wrong, Axl has talked about new music after 2014. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

A lot of his stuff is pretty bland, but I'd say the same for Slash and Duff.

Like A Dog is a good album though.

I never enjoyed Duff's solo work either.

I do really enjoy SMKC but I know they aren't for everyone 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I never enjoyed Duff's solo work either.

I do really enjoy SMKC but I know they aren't for everyone 

Samesies re:Duff work. SMKC for me, has flashes of genius and rivers of bland generic rock. Some apocalyptic love material is phenomenal rock music. 

• Like 2

Original Guns were so good because they were the right guys with the right chemistry in a band at the right time. It's very rare. 

For solo careers and projects, there is definitely some really cool stuff out there and I like parts of lots of it. 

But mainly I respect musicians who keep trying to create and share their work. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

The concert in my country is not selling so well... people write on Facebook they'd rather go see Iron Maiden or Metallica.

Things are going down hill fast. Most complain Axl can't sing anymore.

2023, Facebook suddenly became relevant

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He was quite probably thinking about Slash, yes (although the question was undoubtedly about a full reunion), which makes the choice to call the tour the Not In This Lifetime tour a brilliant joke on himself and how wrong he had been. Wrong, not deceitful. 

I am sorry to hear you find it hard to accept that you think Slash is better with Miles. 

And you are wrong, Axl has talked about new music after 2014. 

He has talked about new music after 2014? Where? 

8 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

The concert in my country is not selling so well... people write on Facebook they'd rather go see Iron Maiden or Metallica.

Things are going down hill fast. Most complain Axl can't sing anymore.

People have been complaining about that fro the last 20 years between the VMA 2002 performance, RIR 2011 and Bridge School 2013..... BUT the shows continue to make profits so the train keeps on rolling! And tbf Axl sometimes sings fantastic... the honest criticism of Axl is that he is INCREDIBLY hit and miss. You could decide to skip the GNR show in your city this year and that could be the show of the year that night, there is no way of knowing when and where he will pull one out of the bag... outside of him coming out of the gates strong with great vocals and not being gassed 3 songs in. 

As for ticket sales... no band can tour every year in huge venues and expect the demand to remain the same. It speaks volumes that it has taken this long for GNR to slow down. having said that, when the shows come around the venues will be far from empty, tickets will begin to move. 

If the shook up the set order this year, I'd almost go and fly to one of the gigs. That's how little they need to do to create a modicum of excitement. Dig out one or two more deeper cuts they haven't played yet and MAYBE debut a new song and this tour will be all over the blabbermouths, loudwires etc and that will move (some) tickets... assuming Axl sounds strong in the videos.

3 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

At the China Exchange in 2016, he said he showed Slash and Duff CD 2 but he didn't known if soon was the word.

He also didn't know whether he was going to get them to play on it. 

• Like 4