The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Halfway through the US leg seems most likely now but if I was a gambler, I'd bet on not this year. Feels like the moment has passed to me. 

I feel the moment has passed on just about every song at this point. So many wasted years and wasted opportunities. The other thing to take into account is that Axl ain’t to be able to sing those songs live the way they were recorded years ago. They will be nice to finally have but Guns will always be the biggest “what if” band in music. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

The cellphone clip, how do we know its the real deal? and if it is, how do we know it was The General?

I suppose because of the similarity with the orchestral part that was used as intro at concerts in 2006 (?)

The fan who recorded it is an active member here ( @Mindray11 , if I'm not mistaken).

21 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

The cellphone clip, how do we know its the real deal? and if it is, how do we know it was The General?

@Mindray11 I believe recorded it at the aftershow party in Vienna at a club called The Box. This was on 18th September 2010. A few things were played that night like Silkworms too. Anyway we know it's The General really I suppose thanks to the work Evader did on it back in the day. It's very buried in the audio but you can hear parts which do match the audio they used as an intro to gigs in 2006/7. That intro was confirmed as being parts of The General on GN'R's official twitter in 2010

I did some work on trying to clear it up to over the years and recognized the drum beat being played at a soundcheck last year. I layed the drum beat over the improved audio of The Cell clip and it matches.

It will be nice to finally know how off I am on the words lol

I am surprised that no more phone clips leaked out over the years from that aftershow party. Fashion TV was filming there that night. 

Edited by Shacklermyrye

On 7/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, colonizedmind said:

How many albums has the Bucket releases since CD dropped? Triple digits? 😆

He released 117 solo studio albums in 2015 alone, so... He's technically closer to quadruple digits since CD dropped, even without counting his bands, collaborations, side projects and live albums.

• Like 1

Just now, Towelie said:

So annoying seeing this thread busy, holding out for some news and it just being generic chitchat day after day. Can't we just agree to not to post in here until there's actually something newsworthy to discuss?

The instagram pic today alluding to the General is pretty significant (for GnR standards)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The instagram pic today alluding to the General is pretty significant (for GnR standards)

Exactly. but I also know what he means. Sometimes this thread is used a bit like the General Chat thread. 

I can't help but feel like the moment has passed, something this band are good at. 

I mean, some new songs earlier this year would have helped the current tour. 

Headlining Glastonbury would have been the biggest stage of all to play a new song or announce/promote something. 

Slash is going on tour with SMKC early next year and youd have to imagine that'll be a few months at least. 

So you have to ask yourself does Guns music even make sense right now? Doesn't mean they won't do it of course. It would be very Guns to release some songs and then just disappear for awhile.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Same. I heard the lead in about it on the radio and was so excited. Then I heard it. And was like WTF is this?! I was soooooooo disappointed. I grew to appreciate after I listened to it some. It has some cool elements like the disco beat and Robins Eddie Van Halen homage guitar solo. But I still hate the stupid filter on Axl’s vocals (it makes the song super dated) and it has just ok lyrics and arrangement. 

That was Dave Navarro's solo. I like it and prefer it over Bucket one, actually.

1 hour ago, Russel Nash said:

It is now very clear to me that The General never leaked and was never in possession of hoarders. It would have been leaked at this point.

Why?

4 minutes ago, Hidin´Stradlin said:

What do we now about The General? 

It's named after Chinese food. There's a dodgy phone recording that may be the General. It's supposedly epic and parts of it were played during the show intro years ago.

But no one actually knows much. 

It may well end up being a terrible song.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I can't help but feel like the moment has passed, something this band are good at. 

I mean, some new songs earlier this year would have helped the current tour. 

Headlining Glastonbury would have been the biggest stage of all to play a new song or announce/promote something. 

Slash is going on tour with SMKC early next year and youd have to imagine that'll be a few months at least. 

So you have to ask yourself does Guns music even make sense right now? Doesn't mean they won't do it of course. It would be very Guns to release some songs and then just disappear for awhile.

They launched Hard Skool a few shows out from the end of a tour, granted some shows were cancelled that were supposed to be later.

8 minutes ago, Hidin´Stradlin said:

What do we now about The General? 

Some comments over the years from people who worked on it

"GN'R was sort of just work for hire . I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A song called  'Seven,' which is the one I actually wrote a guitar part on. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The  General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03) he worked on the songs in  October of 2002. 

“One of my favorite songs - I asked axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "fine"--and one of my favorite songs is this song called "the general" which is so, it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think i've ever heard axl do, this slow grinding riff with these high piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like , when is this coming out? and he said "2012" I was like dude, you're killing me! He goes, "well this comes out on the third record. it relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." he's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. he does things in his own time, in his own way, but you know...the worlds not prepared for what i've heard from this guy. It's got the grandness and the epic-ness of November rain but with the snarl, the attitude of appetite. because the album that i've heard, a lot of the drumming is by brain, who plays so heavy and mean. it's really...grand is the word for it, but it’s still got that attitude.(Sebastian Bach Metal Edge Magazine 2007)

Umm... I don't know... last year Brain had this song called 'the General' that was really cool... and another  song called "we were lying [not sure if that's the name he said]" ... I don't know. (Dizzy Reed, Sp1at, January 2006) 

"Yes I wrote the general! Not sure if bucket or robin are on it... It will have to be a surprise!!! (Brain)

"You may have heard parts of it somewhere".(Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008) 

1 minute ago, jacdaniel said:

It's named after Chinese food. There's a dodgy phone recording that may be the General. It's supposedly epic and parts of it were played during the show intro years ago.

But no one actually knows much. 

It may well end up being a terrible song.

i thought i remember hearing it was the third song of the trilogy that was November Rain and Esteanged, but i could be wrong 

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Dizzy Reed: "I don't know." :lol::facepalm: That about sums it up.

Dizzy Reed is the single most important aspect of the band and i think you need to except that :lol:

Just now, there is no dana only zool said:

Damn.  Off by a couple months (04 reporting in.  I'll turn 20 here next year lol)

Same! I was 18 when I joined this forum officially and turn 38 this year. Just wild.

10 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Forum vets will remember the 2003 rumor that Sarah Brightman recorded “haunting” background vocals for The General 😆

I asked Sp1at about this recently he seems to think it's nonsense. Also the claim where it came from years ago was that she was interviewed about it in Oprea magazine in October 2003. I found a copy of that mag and there is fuck all in there about it so I think it's safe to say it's BS

42 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Some comments over the years from people who worked on it

"GN'R was sort of just work for hire . I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A song called  'Seven,' which is the one I actually wrote a guitar part on. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The  General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03) he worked on the songs in  October of 2002. 

“One of my favorite songs - I asked axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "fine"--and one of my favorite songs is this song called "the general" which is so, it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think i've ever heard axl do, this slow grinding riff with these high piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like , when is this coming out? and he said "2012" I was like dude, you're killing me! He goes, "well this comes out on the third record. it relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." he's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. he does things in his own time, in his own way, but you know...the worlds not prepared for what i've heard from this guy. It's got the grandness and the epic-ness of November rain but with the snarl, the attitude of appetite. because the album that i've heard, a lot of the drumming is by brain, who plays so heavy and mean. it's really...grand is the word for it, but it’s still got that attitude.(Sebastian Bach Metal Edge Magazine 2007)

Umm... I don't know... last year Brain had this song called 'the General' that was really cool... and another  song called "we were lying [not sure if that's the name he said]" ... I don't know. (Dizzy Reed, Sp1at, January 2006) 

"Yes I wrote the general! Not sure if bucket or robin are on it... It will have to be a surprise!!! (Brain)

"You may have heard parts of it somewhere".(Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008) 

nice! thank you