The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

21 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

So just to clarify... Duff said very early last week that there would be some Guns news "maybe even this week". 

Nothing happened except for the article getting deleted. 

Now we're at Thursday and still nothing. Think Duff might have got a bit ahead of himself 

I don't think anybody here is surprised at all :D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The amazing instrumentals that were eventually completed with vocals, huh? Which ones are those? Because as of today, there is no actual evidence that those songs exist in the way you describe them! 

And what do you mean hopefully they figured it out? Slash and Duff did the other 2-4 songs at the same time they did Hardschool and Absurd. They wont be going back into a studio to work on ChiDem songs anymore. They picked 4-6 to do and did them years ago. 

Several, as far as the instrumentals go. Do you only think the ones on the 2008 album were the ones they completed? Even if you don't believe Axl and Tommy, there are members here who have heard additional songs, with vocals.

A lot can be done with mixing, I wasn't implying they need to go back in the studio to re-butcher these songs. 

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I don't think anybody here is surprised at all :D

If they are, I've got some magic beans they can buy. And all they need to do is give me their mother's maiden name, the name of their first pet and the three numbers on the back of card to receive them. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

i saw a mysterious post somewhere from someone who seemed to know a lot about this stuff, saying that Me and My Elvis was later called "In This Grave", and that the vocals were recorded December 24 2002. Anyone hear this title before?

There was a post years ago on the Steve Hoffman forums by someone who apparently was connected in the industry and had heard some unreleased songs, including “Cuban Skies.” I can’t remember if that was before or after the locker leak, though.

Just now, Gunner55 said:

Hmmm, I missed that. Was there any audio of it or was it word of mouth? 

It was a vague comment. I forgot which show it was. But someone said they thought they could hear the intro piece. But there was planes flying overhead. I believe another person who attended confirmed it. No audio. And the original person said they thought they did but wasn’t 100%

6 minutes ago, chorrada said:

Why would they soundcheck just that piece though? Wouldn't that come just directly from the tape in any case?

The tape was played at soundcheck. First time it's resurfaced since the reunion I believe.

"In This Grave" was posted by the same guy who posted lyrics presumed to be from Soul Monster. "And they say the stars don't look the same, I may have changed yet I have my soul to claim" (Something like that, don't have my laptop here to listen word-for-word) The same poster claimed CD2, as it existed in 2013 or so was Bucket and Robin stuff, with the lineup at the time playing over some of it (Bumble and Frank), much like the 2008 album, and no DJ contributions.

Axl played Cuban Skies and other songs from CD to a fan in 2003 in Florida from his Ferrari, after he impressed Axl by asking him about The Blues at a club or something. Axl told him it was about cigars. I think later that poster said what he heard didn't have lyrics, but I have not confirmed that.

3 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

The tape was played at soundcheck. First time it's resurfaced since the reunion I believe.

It may have been intentional to drum up interest. GN'R does things like that as a tease/spoiler. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:29 AM, Bitchisback said:

I actually love OMG. I wish the whole album sounded like that.  I think it's a great industrial rocker.  And Axl's voice on it is great.

This article from September 1999 is fascinating knowing how everything played out  lol 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/good-god-guns-255073/

lol, that's a great article. "a stop gap measure to pacify long-suffering fans who are unlikely to see another studio album from Guns until next summer". aaaaand nine years later...

• ABSUЯD 1

6 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

You know what would be nice

the general

perhaps

+ 3 filler songs

5 song EP.  Every band does some filler.  Wish they’d do that and release at least 5 song EP’s without any live bullshit.  New music. 

One man's filler is another man's bible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Not only are you not aware of everything Slash has said, you also hasn't got what he said accurately. Here is the actual quote:

There’s a handful of those songs that we actually fixed up and did when we were in lockdown, so those have yet to be released. So those are gonna come out. They’re really good, too, so I’m excited for those. We’re just gonna put out, like, one or two songs, and another one or two songs. I think that’s gonna be pretty much all of them; I’m not sure exactly how many we did in total [Sirius XM Trunk's Nation, October 19, 2022].

The quote above is likely from where you have arrived at 4-6 songs. But you forget last sentence where he emphasizes that he "thinks" that is pretty much all of them, and then tacks onto that sentence that he could be wrong on the number. And then you entirely forget this earlier interview (or maybe you are not aware of it):

There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid [Classic Rock, January 2022].

Here Slash is indicating they have worked on enough material to make an album, and that there plan is to release the songs piecemeal and then "probably" combine it into a "solid" album at the end. And I don't think he is talking about an EP here, "an entire record's worth" suggest an LP to me.

And then there is this:

We’ve been doing a lot of material that’s been sort of sitting around for a while, so that will be a whole focused endeavor unto itself [Audacy Music, October 22, 2021].

Slash worked on the unreleased Chinese Democracy songs during Covid-19. The latter quote is much closer to those recordings, and here he says they worked on "a lot" of material. Does that align with 4-6? I don't think so. It fits well with the possibility of making an album. Does it align with his statement to Classic Rock that they have enough material re-done for an album? Absolutely. 

I love how your condescending to my while arguing something you and I have already have multiple exchanged about ....

Once again, he said he thinks that's all of them because it's already been a few years since he did them and he doesn't care about them to actually remember the exact number. His saying one or two and then another one or two is very specific, so his "not sure how many" obviously means he doesn't know off the top of his head if it's 4 songs or 6 songs. 

His saying "entire record's worth of stuff" does not prove that more than 6 songs have been worked on. That is your own assumption. There is no set number of songs that constitutes an album. 4-6 songs could be released altogether and it would be an album. 

So once again, we're arguing the same exact thing that you seem to constantly forget to then type up these big responses as if your points haven't already been addressed. 

Yes, I am aware of the quotes, and what I said do accurately reflect what he's said. Your condescension doesn't make your arguments more valid, they just make you look like an ass

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Several, as far as the instrumentals go. Do you only think the ones on the 2008 album were the ones they completed? Even if you don't believe Axl and Tommy, there are members here who have heard additional songs, with vocals.

A lot can be done with mixing, I wasn't implying they need to go back in the studio to re-butcher these songs. 

I do not believe any members here more than I'd believe the actual band lol 

Nobody here has heard any unreleased song with vocals that hasn't already leaked, except maybe only The General.

7 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I love how your condescending to my while arguing something you and I have already have multiple exchanged about ....

Once again, he said he thinks that's all of them because it's already been a few years since he did them and he doesn't care about them to actually remember the exact number. His saying one or two and then another one or two is very specific, so his "not sure how many" obviously means he doesn't know off the top of his head if it's 4 songs or 6 songs. 

His saying "entire record's worth of stuff" does not prove that more than 6 songs have been worked on. That is your own assumption. There is no set number of songs that constitutes an album. 4-6 songs could be released altogether and it would be an album. 

So once again, we're arguing the same exact thing that you seem to constantly forget to then type up these big responses as if your points haven't already been addressed. 

Yes, I am aware of the quotes, and what I said do accurately reflect what he's said. Your condescension doesn't make your arguments more valid, they just make you look like an ass

Alright, then just keep in mind next time then that Slash has said more than you keep saying he has, including that they worked on "a lot" of material and that they worked on enough material to possibly be compiled onto ""an entire record's worth". But these two statements imply more than 4-6 songs. And then you are of course free to interpret this however you wish. I prefer to look at the totality of what he has said, and then it seems more likely to me they have worked on more than 6 songs in total.

Going back to my original point: I am confident we are getting more than 4-6 reworked songs both because I believe Slash has said as much, but also because I take a more long-term perspective on this and I simply don't think Axl will bury the material that he has worked on for so many years, I am sure it will see the light of day at some point, somehow, with or without Slash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Not only are you not aware of everything Slash has said, you also hasn't got what he said accurately. Here is the actual quote:

There’s a handful of those songs that we actually fixed up and did when we were in lockdown, so those have yet to be released. So those are gonna come out. They’re really good, too, so I’m excited for those. We’re just gonna put out, like, one or two songs, and another one or two songs. I think that’s gonna be pretty much all of them; I’m not sure exactly how many we did in total [Sirius XM Trunk's Nation, October 19, 2022].

The quote above is likely from where you have arrived at 4-6 songs. But you forget last sentence where he emphasizes that he "thinks" that is pretty much all of them, and then tacks onto that sentence that he could be wrong on the number. And then you entirely forget this earlier interview (or maybe you are not aware of it):

There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid [Classic Rock, January 2022].

Here Slash is indicating they have worked on enough material to make an album, and that there plan is to release the songs piecemeal and then "probably" combine it into a "solid" album at the end. And I don't think he is talking about an EP here, "an entire record's worth" suggest an LP to me.

And then there is this:

We’ve been doing a lot of material that’s been sort of sitting around for a while, so that will be a whole focused endeavor unto itself [Audacy Music, October 22, 2021].

Slash worked on the unreleased Chinese Democracy songs during Covid-19. The latter quote is much closer to those recordings, and here he says they worked on "a lot" of material. Does that align with 4-6? I don't think so. It fits well with the possibility of making an album. Does it align with his statement to Classic Rock that they have enough material re-done for an album? Absolutely. 

You typed a lot of the.things I was touching on earlier with some of the same folks and then was thinking of responding with what you're basically saying here but chose not to, to avoid an argument of differing takes on the same quotes...so I guess I can say, I concur with this....the truth is out there!