The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Full respect to Josh, but he's ultimately a guy who recorded a bunch of demos. He never played live with the band and outside of oh my god didn't appear on anything official, he cannot be compared with people that actually played the back catalogue. We may as well include Dave Abruzzese in the list while we're at it.

As for best to worst... I don't know, certain things each drummer does are favourites of mine, including Frank. I don't see why it has to be a competition. But, Frank is not a terrible drummer or a terrible fit for gnr. People act like Brain was playing faithful versions of the old gnr songs, he was not he took equal liberties and sometimes it was really cool and other times it wasn't. I could say that about Matt too, or Steven. None of them are perfect drummers. 

The best comment anyone has ever made about drummers on this forum.

As I've said before, counting Josh just makes no sense. We know he's a good drummer, but a good Guns N' Roses drummer? We never heard him play the back catalogue, he never played a single show.

And with the others, they all played their own material greatly, but weren't a perfect fit for anything else. Frank is, for me, the best middle ground of the ones that came before him. In a show you want a cohesive thing from start to finish. He blends all eras nicely into a decent sounding set. He doesn't deserve the shit he gets here – if he does, Brain deserves the same, but he's on a pedestal here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oneway23 said:

My biggest issue with Frank is that he's got a leaden kick drum foot.  He's a powerful drummer, but, he's lumbering and straight-forward, not swinging nor groovy at ALL.  Kinda like the difference between Bill Ward and Vinny Appice, if you're a Sabbath fan.

Or Sorum Vs Adler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

As I've said before, counting Josh just makes no sense. We know he's a good drummer, but a good Guns N' Roses drummer? We never heard him play the back catalogue, he never played a single show.

And with the others, they all played their own material greatly, but weren't a perfect fit for anything else. Frank is, for me, the best middle ground of the ones that came before him. In a show you want a cohesive thing from start to finish. He blends all eras nicely into a decent sounding set. He doesn't deserve the shit he gets here – if he does, Brain deserves the same, but he's on a pedestal here.

I agree about Frank, but we did get Josh’s drums in that 1999 SCOM from the Big Daddy movie. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Or Sorum Vs Adler

Great point!  Sorum at least had that Nigel Olsson/human metronome thing going for him as a pretty unique attribute, and he was as powerful as a galloping horse when he was in his prime.  Frank is...a serviceable replacement.  Nothing wrong with making a living doing that.  Thousands do it.  I sure wish I could!

38 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Great point!  Sorum at least had that Nigel Olsson/human metronome thing going for him as a pretty unique attribute, and he was as powerful as a galloping horse when he was in his prime.  Frank is...a serviceable replacement.  Nothing wrong with making a living doing that.  Thousands do it.  I sure wish I could!

We all would! Who want a comfy job doing that you dreamed of as a kid? More power to Frank! ...but still sort out those fills in Don't cry and November Rain😄

On 11/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, DoMw94 said:

I think Sorum would sound amazing on the CD material. Much better than Frank.

Is that a face morph into Ron Perlman?

1397052122000-Ron-Perlman.jpg

On 11/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, DoMw94 said:

Brain is definitely the better drummer, dude is fantastic behind the kit but Frank does a great job too and probably fits in with Slash and Duff better.  

I mean anyone questioning Franks talent only needs to know that Danny fucking Carey, one of the greatest drummers of all time has invited Frank up on stage to play with him multiple times. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Brain is definitely the better drummer, dude is fantastic behind the kit but Frank does a great job too and probably fits in with Slash and Duff better.  

I mean anyone questioning Franks talent only needs to know that Danny fucking Carey, one of the greatest drummers of all time has invited Frank up on stage to play with him multiple times. 

It's not about questioning the talent. Last time I visited a GNR gig his drumming was the weakest link imo. He may be an amazing drummer but his style doesn't fit for GNR if you ask me. I agree that over the years they fixed sone issues and it's not that annoying anymore

36 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

this other talented dude thinks that this guy I don't really think much of is talented/a cool guy. Not much of an argument imho.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Your post lost all cred with, "his drumming was the weakest link"

The singer sounds like mickey mouse an can barely breathe on stage.

Frank was the 2nd weakest lin. Fixed it for ya 😀 👍

I'd agree if I said that I watched videos but to me, being there, live in person, it was Frank who sounded worst :shrugs:

• Like 1

Those of you who remember who SP1at is may find this interesting.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/img/noav.jpg
sp1at
 Rep: 43 

Prior to all the lawsuit stuff, the latest from GN'R was all positive. There is new, the beginnings of new GN'R material that is not related to CD, there. There was also wording that some historic older material was possible. Slash is expecting this later next year. I asked though about his previous assertions that there was an album for all the post CD material that had been release, and there was no response. So, I don't know.

• Like 4