The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 5/1/2024 at 9:36 AM, janrichmond said:

I've heard Pe1rhaps and Hard School on the radio, but I've never heard a CD song played (thank fuck:P)

I heard the song CD once or twice just prior to the album coming out.

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

IMG_0471.thumb.webp.430843823b4f7ba3568a39015b138d56.webp

jokes aside, and I can only speak for myself, it’s not about bad guitarists rather than the prefered styles and the overall sound of CD. And still I enjoy half of that record. But when I compare the NITL singles to the leaked ones then to me the official released versions are nearer to the GNR sound and no wonder because Slash’s sound was added. It’s not necessarily a quality thing. 

It's all personal. To me, Hardschool and Perhaps reminded me of UYI first I heard them when they leaked. My whole point is I don't box myself in as a fan to a certain era. Since I first heard November Rain on the radio, I've been a die hard GnR fan. There isn't a single song I genuinely dislike. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It's all personal. To me, Hardschool and Perhaps reminded me of UYI first I heard them when they leaked. My whole point is I don't box myself in as a fan to a certain era. Since I first heard November Rain on the radio, I've been a die hard GnR fan. There isn't a single song I genuinely dislike. 

Except for The General, of course? 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Except for The General, of course? 

Although I have made my jokes, I don't dislike the song. It's just a sonic mess, which I attribute to its releasing during the NITL era. I'm fully convinced that had this released when it should have, back in the ChiDem era, it would sound a whole lot better. But unfortunately, The General is going to be a GnR song I will never listen to more than a few times. I also don't and won't listen to the other NITL singles. I prefer the leaked versions of those songs. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But when I compare the NITL singles to the leaked ones then to me the official released versions are nearer to the GNR sound and no wonder because Slash’s sound was added. It’s not necessarily a quality thing. 

Yes that's true, but think the originals sound better despite the lower quality, imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

Hell, even The General could have been an epic song if it actually went anywhere. 

It'll be interesting to hear original with bucket/Robin and how it was made to sound. As I'm in the camp that it doesn't go anywhere and meanders along without purpose. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Question for native English speakers:

As a non native speaker, although I think I have adequate comprehension skills in English, I sometimes look up a word or expression, even if I think I know what it means, to make sure I fully understand what is being said/written.

So when Slash said (in the recent Classic Rock interview) that a new GN'R record has been "on the books" for a while ("and should start coming together"), I looked it up, e.g. here:

on_the11.jpg

But I saw that everybody in the other thread interpreted it as been "planned" or "thought about", and I was wondering if it could mean what one of the definitions in the dictionary says :lol:

It's not about getting hopes up or anything like that (I don't do that - and I'm generally neither optimistic or pessimistic), just a genuine question :)

On the books to me means, something on the list that needs to get ticked off (hopefully....or plans changed) 🙄

• Like 2

I think that the mixing on the recent singles have been horrible, however aside from the drumming on Hard School I like the actual new instrumental parts for all the new songs across the board.  I enjoy Slash's work on Hard Skool and Perhaps way more than the previous ones and as a result I tend go listen to those way more than the previous versions nowadays

With The General, I would be curious to hear the earlier versions however I can't imagine as a composition they are much different, at the most some different guitar fills/outro solo and a much less compressed sounding mix if I was a betting man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

As far as Robin goes I have to say I completely disagree. His solo on This I Love is a masterpiece. But the rest of his work unmemerable? Street of Dreams, ChiDem, There Was a Time, Better ... Man those solos are so amazing and melodic. His impression is all over that album, just as much as Bucket's.

100%

I would add Perhaps to that list as well. Melodic, amazing solo. I remember listening to it over and over when it first leaked. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

100%

I would add Perhaps to that list as well. Melodic, amazing solo. I remember listening to it over and over when it first leaked. 

Yeah, I was just talking strictly what was officially released. If you include the leaks, there's even more! 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:24 AM, Blackstar said:

Question for native English speakers:

As a non native speaker, although I think I have adequate comprehension skills in English, I sometimes look up a word or expression, even if I think I know what it means, to make sure I fully understand what is being said/written.

So when Slash said (in the recent Classic Rock interview) that a new GN'R record has been "on the books" for a while ("and should start coming together"), I looked it up, e.g. here:

on_the11.jpg

on_the10.jpg

But I saw that everybody in the other thread interpreted it as been "planned" or "thought about", and I was wondering if it could mean what one of the definitions in the dictionary says :lol:

It's not about getting hopes up or anything like that (I don't do that - and I'm generally neither optimistic or pessimistic), just a genuine question :)

It's a weird choice of phrase for what he is talking about. You would normally hear the term in business. For example if you had a company and i was "On the books" it would mean I was employed by you, in the sense that my name and details are in your company's paper work and documents ect.

In the context it's used here though I agree with @janrichmond. It's another way of saying what he has already said before. I wouldnt read too much into it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

As far as Robin goes I have to say I completely disagree. His solo on This I Love is a masterpiece. But the rest of his work unmemerable? Street of Dreams, ChiDem, There Was a Time, Better ... Man those solos are so amazing and melodic. His impression is all over that album, just as much as Bucket's.

I hear what you’re saying, I just don’t see his work as up to par with Slash. Most of his solos seemed fairly predictable. Melodic? Yes, absolutely and TIL is a really good solo!

Maybe I just never fully accepted him because he wasn’t Slash or Izzy and Axl was so fucking hard headed that he kept the band name for his solo work :shrugs:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I hear what you’re saying, I just don’t see his work as up to par with Slash. Most of his solos seemed fairly predictable. Melodic? Yes, absolutely and TIL is a really good solo!

Maybe I just never fully accepted him because he wasn’t Slash or Izzy and Axl was so fucking hard headed that he kept the band name for his solo work :shrugs:

He has recorded some great solos for Guns but I don’t get the love for this mediocre Perhaps solo. Neither his nor Slash’s solo is something I would consider their a-game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

5e70h3.jpg?a475800

That's from Abdul Al-Hazred in the Necronomicon, isn't it? 💀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

5e70h3.jpg?a475800

New Guns song lyrics! New album confirmed!

Super bowl half time show 2025 confirmed!

Axl is less bloated (obviously) and cracking bones, I mean jokes!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Comparing different versions normal world: *Oooo I prefer this early mix on the 20th anniversary boxset*

Comparing different versions GNR world: *Fuck Slash! I prefer that lo-fi MP3 Locker leak from years before the official song release with the replacement guitarists* it's all Robin! (Keep Dreamin) 

Honestly sometimes I wish we didn't have a zillion demos of things before finished songs come out....so this endless comparing to the past goes round the world in circles....I know people have individual ears and different preferences but honestly a lot of it is first listen bonding...

When you hear something for years, it's very hard to accept something new on an established piece, unless it's radically different! It's nostalgia and loyalty in our brains for what feels familiar....hence why we zealous lot notice a bend left in or a bend left out 🙄

The General is THEE only song we've had with almost no previous (sans orchestra) and that didn't fly too well....I live for the day when we can have something fresh with no previous bond bias! 🙏

Edited by colonizedmind

On 5/4/2024 at 12:31 AM, DannyVinyard said:

100%

Robin's Perhaps solo really fit the song well, the tone of his guitar as well. Slash's felt off. It picked up later though.

I liked Robin's playing on Zodiac as well.

On 4/29/2024 at 9:46 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

Why does new GnR not get played? Very strange ..

Because the label doesn't pay to push the new songs, and without it, regular people only care about the classics. I'm not saying this isn't the band's fault, because it totally is - their relationship with the label and/or how they distribute the songs is part of their burden. If they don't care, why would the label? 

I know a lot of people here dislikes Rick Beato, but he has a pretty cool video about how the local US radios were bought by big players such as Live Nation (or was it Clear Channel? Can't remember), and that made the artist selection in rotation a lot worse, especially considering that local artists just don't get any air time at all.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:01 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

Indeed. And it's all very tastefully crafted, both in melody and tone.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:10 AM, DTV88 said:

Most of his solos seemed fairly predictable.

Can't disagree more. It's quite the opposite to me. Robin's solos are most of the time unpredictable (I remember his Better solo with that descending bend caught everyone by surprise back in 2006), while Bucket commonly relies in his own cliches - which are good, but can't say those are not predictable like his SOD outro, If The World main solo, Madagascar etc. 

• Like 2