09/06/23 - Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena

downzy

What's promising about his baritone voice is how comfortable he sounds and how he has complete control over it. Even if that's the future, it's at least something that he can work with and continue to sing. He might even be able to work with a coach to restructure the songs and still use the highs when able to. Otherwise, I really liked the changes to the melody in Estranged. It gives it spontaneity.

Look at someone like Paul Stanley. He can barely speak these days (let alone sing). There's been some serious damage there. He basically whispers into the microphone to introduce the songs before the backing tracks take over.

I much prefer what Axl is doing. If his longevity as a singer is extended by doing this baritone and sounding pretty darn good doing it, then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, I like the baritone voice but it definitely takes away some of the “energy” of the song.

…and falsetto doesn’t?

This entire discussion about dynamics is complete bullshit.

Dynamics are about loudness, not pitch. And well, usually high register is the loudest but not when you’re using fucking falsetto. Listen to any of his performances this year where he’s using both registers (e.g. Brownstone or PTU) and notice that he’s upper range is barely audible compared to his chest voice. It’s so weak that he may as well whisper the lyrics. Then talk about taking away „dynamics” or „energy”. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

…and falsetto doesn’t?

Dynamics are about loudness, not pitch. And well, usually high register is the loudest but not when you’re using fucking falsetto. Listen to any of his performances this year where he’s using both registers (e.g. Brownstone or PTU) and notice that he’s upper range is barely audible compared to his chest voice. It’s so weak that he may as well whisper the lyrics. Then talk about taking away „dynamics” or „energy”. 

Okay, I was just talking about how he seemed to be singing some of the those parts lackadaisically when he went lower. Nothing against the lower voice in concept. 

Anyways, really like the Don’t Cry from last night:

https://youtu.be/0kPwJquvK3Y?si=ABMZ4muZ_8_2Yvrb

6 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Okay, I was just talking about how he seemed to be singing some of the those parts lackadaisically when he went lower. Nothing against the lower voice in concept. 

Anyways, really like the Don’t Cry from last night:

https://youtu.be/0kPwJquvK3Y?si=ABMZ4muZ_8_2Yvrb

Yeah, he seemed upset that he doesn't sing in a high voice, but then he improved later on in the song.

Edited by We love Axl Rose

Kindof curious about how a casual fan feels about Axl singing these songs lower. It might only be a GNR nerd thing to think it sounds great. They might be wondering where his signature high voice is. To me though, he sounds much more like himself singing like that than he does when Mickey is at its worst (which it usually is)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Kindof curious about how a casual fan feels about Axl singing these songs lower. It might only be a GNR nerd thing to think it sounds great. They might be wondering where his signature high voice is. To me though, he sounds much more like himself singing like that than he does when Mickey is at its worst (which it usually is)

The comments are always better when he sings songs with lower (baritone) voice, than when he uses Mickey voice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Are you calling us nerds? Unbelievable.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not just the baritone vocals, it's the calmer or more relaxed delivery of the vocals starting around 5:20 fits the song so much better than the falsetto voice. Wish he'd sing it like that all the time. The "I'm out here all alone" part sounds great. Night and day compared to the first video that pops up on youtube when I searched "gnr estranged 2023" (which was from Vigo)

He sounds pretty good here for the most part, the early part of the song could have been from the early nineties. There’s a tone and warmth to this voice that I think has been lacking in other baritone attempts. You know I still want it to sound like Axl is singing, and not loud talking. 
I could listen to that without being distracted.

Estranged has been a weakness song since the reunion, sadly. This sounds like an improvement.

3 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

He had some great Estranged performances in 2016 too, but I get your Point. 

As for the dynamic... Yes, some of it gets lost with this baritone voice. But I really like it and he seems way more comfortable with that. Easy going through the songs that way...  Mickey should be buried indeed!

For freaks sake, can we dig up Walt and offer him anything to take him back, forever! I'll even volunteer to an evening of hypnosis with Yoda!!! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sl4yer said:

…and falsetto doesn’t?

One of the biggest problems nowadays is thinking that the world is binary. Nobody here is defending falsetto or Mickey just because doesn’t like the Baritone voice.
I prefer much more Axl working in his medium register, taking a break, or even retiring, than singing GN’R catalog in Baritone voice. 

Edited by ChristianGNR

2 hours ago, ChristianGNR said:

One of the biggest problems nowadays is thinking that the world is binary. Nobody here is defending falsetto or Mickey just because doesn’t like the Baritone voice.
I prefer much more Axl working in his medium register, taking a break, or even retiring, than singing GN’R catalog in Baritone voice. 

1. I didn’t see anyone here who has criticizing his baritone voice. I just wanted to clarify that using falsetto fucks dynamics of the songs way more because it’s too soft and weak. It’s just not a technique made for songs like You Could Be Mine.

2. May I ask why would you prefer him to retire? Some songs would sound off, e.g. Jungle, Reckless or Shadow but these songs are still somewhat decent live especially Reckless Life. I see nothing wrong with Estranged, Civil War being sung that way. I think it sounds pretty good and his alterations of melodies are pretty interesting. I could also see YCBM and Hard Skool with his Chinese Democracy vocals. It could sound badass if done right.

So I don’t really understand what you’re problem. Especially when he’s using this voice in a lot of songs. (ISE, BO,PTU,Brownstone,Absurd,KOHD,DOTF,CD,Patience,Don’t Cry, half of Estranged, Wichita, etc.) 

• Like 1

There is no working on his medium range, taking a break, hiring vocal coach or whatever anymore. His classic voice is simply not coming back. The fact that Axl's baritone voice is still this powerful and he has such control over it just shows that he takes care of his instrument, it is in as good a shape as it can be at this point. Axl's upper range is dying due to age and use, it is what it is. There is no way in the world he would be able to hit the kind of notes he does on stuff like TWAT without a lot of work.

Baritone sounds like an actual world famous professional singer, not someone at a bad karaoke. He should use it on most songs, and still bring out a couple of screens in falsetto here and there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

There is no working on his medium range, taking a break, hiring vocal coach or whatever anymore. His classic voice is simply not coming back. The fact that Axl's baritone voice is still this powerful and he has such control over it just shows that he takes care of his instrument, it is in as good a shape as it can be at this point. Axl's upper range is dying due to age and use, it is what it is. There is no way in the world he would be able to hit the kind of notes he does on stuff like TWAT without a lot of work.

Baritone sounds like an actual world famous professional singer, not someone at a bad karaoke. He should use it on most songs, and still bring out a couple of screens in falsetto here and there. 

Sorry, but i’ve been around for over 25 years. We cannot say his voice is not coming back. 

2 hours ago, sl4yer said:

1. I didn’t see anyone here who has criticizing his baritone voice. I just wanted to clarify that using falsetto fucks dynamics of the songs way more because it’s too soft and weak. It’s just not a technique made for songs like You Could Be Mine.

2. May I ask why would you prefer him to retire? Some songs would sound off, e.g. Jungle, Reckless or Shadow but these songs are still somewhat decent live especially Reckless Life. I see nothing wrong with Estranged, Civil War being sung that way. I think it sounds pretty good and his alterations of melodies are pretty interesting. I could also see YCBM and Hard Skool with his Chinese Democracy vocals. It could sound badass if done right.

So I don’t really understand what you’re problem. Especially when he’s using this voice in a lot of songs. (ISE, BO,PTU,Brownstone,Absurd,KOHD,DOTF,CD,Patience,Don’t Cry, half of Estranged, Wichita, etc.) 

Are we considering his Chinese democracy chorus voice “Baritone”? 

10 hours ago, sl4yer said:

…and falsetto doesn’t?

Both lack energy. Obviously the voice that's loud and clear is the "better" option, but it 1000% does lack energy. It's not bad, but I would much rather Axk just doing some fucking exercises to strengthen his weak falsetto. There are a lot of exercises that can be done and he has the resources. Singing in lower registers is for when there is no other choice, and in this instance while he sounds really quiet when he tries to go into his falsetto maybe it's best to temporarily use a more comfortable range. But his voice is still there up high, it's not like he can't do it, it's just a very specific area that needs targetted work 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ChristianGNR said:

Sorry, but i’ve been around for over 25 years. We cannot say his voice is not coming back. 

Are we considering his Chinese democracy chorus voice “Baritone”? 

No that's chest. Baritone is probably the verses of Shacklers

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

This isn't entirely true. The classic Axl voice is gone. But he absolutely can strengthen the weak areas and regain power to at least be able to sing powerful clean falsetto. Very achievable 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

But he absolutely can strengthen the weak areas and regain power to at least be able to sing powerful clean falsetto. Very achievable 

But how do we know that? that Axl hasn't tried that already? 

We know that he doesn't rehearse the songs much or at all before touring (he has admitted that much), but we don't know if/what kind of vocal exercises he has done/does. @Pedrolg made a good point about the shape of Axl's baritone voice and his ability to still hit notes: it indicates that he has taken care of his voice and probably done some work, otherwise he wouldn't be able to sustain power and control of his baritone either, in other words he wouldn't be able to sing at all, like Bon Jovi. So maybe he has tried, but the power of his high clean falsetto is gone and his voice in those ranges is not sustainable anymore.

I saw them twice live this year (Rome and MetLife) and he was just brilliant both times. His voice sounded really strong in the lower register but it's also where the melody in his voice truly lives. When he sings like that he's still a world class vocalist (look at Elton John for the same reasons). The screaming and high notes are both novelty and necessary. His high notes in Hollywood, Florida 2021 were incredible, as good as back in the day but that's clearly fading a bit. This is the best tour they've done since the reunion but two back-to-back shows of vocal issues points to him needing a break. Hoping for no cancellations but I can see them calling it a day for a while after this tour.